• Published 3rd Sep 2011
  • 5,612 Views, 93 Comments

The Story of Reik: The Communist Revolutionary: MLP - Reik



The story of Reik. A pony trying to spread Communism across Equestria.

  • ...
2
 93
 5,612

Chapter 20: Complaints

THE COLD WAS not of a kind Twilight was accustomed to. She had known cold in the past but that kind was brought upon by the snow, the bright snow, and the cooling wind. It was a filling cold while this one was an empty cold. There was no coolness, only frigid and more frigid. The cold weathered the senses instead of delighting them and the warm sense of positivity normally hung in the air had been snuffed out. The darkness only added to the disturbing nature of Ponyville, long claw like slashes cast across the streets and buildings. Twilight was surprised that even with increased number of street lamps, there were still several shadows and shrouded corners of the urban environment.

As the congregation continued through Ponyville, minor groups broke off from the majority and advanced to their own destinations until Twilight was accompanied by only 18 ponies and two guards.

The guards, in their black armor, faded in and out of vision each time the party passed a shrouded section of street, creating an eerie aura of dread that caused the few ponies near the guards to cringe with distaste. The large stallions made no communication to their followers other than shouts to increase their pace. Eventually, their urgings became so frequent and without justification that Twilight began to think that the guards would be punished if they failed to shout something at the citizens every few minutes.

As Twilight looked over the members of her group, she saw no familiar faces; Nopony for whom she could call upon for comfort or reassurance. They all either hung their heads solemnly or stared ahead aimlessly with the same expression Twilight had seen in the guards. All except for one, a small brown stallion of old age. He was spry, he moved with a sense of purpose and vigor Twilight had thought had all but died out in her short time in occupied Ponyville. He wore an expression of elation and bore a pickaxe as a cutie mark. Curious of this happy stranger, Twilight moved to his side. He noticed her approach and smiled broadly. Twilight became slightly disturbed by this stranger, not that he was happy, but that he was happy when those around him where lost in indifference and sorrow.

“Hello, um, who are you?” Twilight questioned quietly, leaning close to the old stallion. Turning his head slightly, the Stallion gave Twilight an inquisitor look.

“Why do you whisper dear, we are not prisoners, give your thoughts mouth.” He said cheerily, a broad grin on his face. Twilight snapped her head up and turned to one of the guards, she could already imagine one of the armored brutes screaming at her to be silent. To her surprise the guard acknowledged her, not fully but from the corner of his eye, a brief stare that was quickly repealed and cast back upon the unfolding path ahead of them.

Twilight could not understand this action, not that she was unhappy with it but that it made no sense for ruthless guards to put up with this, at least that’s what she had assumed. Noticing the elderly pony to still be staring at her with his peculiar smile, Twilight returned to the conversation. “Yes, sorry, but who are you?” Twilight repeated. The stallion answered quickly, retaining his upbeat attitude. “My name is George, George the second actually, and who are you if I may ask?” Twilight responded, with a slightly louder, normal sounding, tone of voice. “Twilight Sparkle, sorry if this comes off as weird but, why are you so…Happy?” George gave the purple pony another peculiar look and Twilight noticed that their conversation was beginning to attract observers, from both the guards and the citizens. “Well why wouldn’t I be, yes the constant darkness is a little disturbing.” He chuckled. “But the street lights take good care of that, I really don’t see why everypony is in such a rut.” He casted his gaze away from Twilight and over the surrounding ponies as he finished the last sentence. Twilight was surprised by such a remark; she could see no cause for joy or happiness in the new Ponyville. “What do you mean you don’t see why everypony is in a rut, its, everything is-” She paused slightly in her speech and the sudden silence was removed by the brown stallion. “Everything is what, different?” His smile faded and his expression hinted that he expected an answer. “Fear of change is natural my dear but honestly, do you see ponies being carted off to asylums or prisons, what’s happening that’s so bad?”

Twilight mentally scrambled for an answer, trying to fish logic and reason out of doubt and theory. “Well, everypony isn’t doing their job anymore; we don’t even know where we’re going.” The stallion took no pause and answered slowly, a smile returning to his face, a joyous one devoid of condescension. “Well why did they do those jobs, to gain for themselves, there is no need, everything we can need is given but without fear of unemployment or poverty.” Twilight shifted her argument, suddenly realizing she knew little about her new world and its system compared to the pony before her. “Well, um, those ponies enjoyed their jobs, and they had plenty to begin with.” George’s face turned into a sneer and he responded with a sudden tone of distaste. “Who had plenty, the upper class, the bourgeois? Because I can assure you, I had nothing, and what little I did have came from the sweat of my own back, not the royalty. As for their jobs, Ponyville has just gone through a massive change, let the council get a little to work with, then they can distribute better jobs to the appropriate ponies. Besides, let those ponies that enjoyed their position carry it out during their recreation time.”

The purple pony opened her mouth to speak yet no rebuttals came to mind, she was speechless. George, without further address, turned and increased his pace, moving to the head of the congregation. In Twilights mind, gears rolled into life, gears she never thought she had. The purple pony had never devoted much of her studies to politics, economics, or sociology; those subjects brought little interest to her. Yet now, she kicked herself for never even cracking a book on any of those subjects. It was only now that Twilight truly realized what Applejack had meant when she said everything had changed.

APPLEJACK’S JAW TIGHTENED on her commissar’s cap as she watched the guards roaming in and out of the Apple families’ residence. It was the only action she could do to keep herself from roaring at the intruders to cease their invasion of her property. A ‘headquarters’ she had called it, Iris, that stupid mare had barged in hours after the whole area had been cut off from Equestria and laid claim to the whole house. Now her guards were walking all about the place, carrying letters, blueprints, and tools. Behind her, Applejack heard the distinctive cracking and resulting crash of a fallen tree. The familiar sound sent a spasm of rage through her frame. Half the Apple trees in her farm where nothing but stumps. The once great trunks lay out in large triangular stacks near the barn. The sight was disgusting and repulsive Applejack, but appealing and inspiring to the mare Iris. Now shivering with suppressed hate, Applejack felt Big Mac extend his hoof around her shoulders. The pair had been sitting on one of the stumps closest to the farm for several minutes.

“Calm yerself Applejack.” He said in a lowered tone.

“Easier said than done Big Mac,” Applejack mumbled through clenched teeth. As another tree collapse with a resounding crash, an armored guard, his mane white under his armor, approached Applejack. The orange pony hated the guards, regardless of what the revolutionaries said, these so called ‘guards’ where glorified prison wardens to Applejack. Fixing the guard with a hateful stare, the stallion stopped several feet from the orange pony. His black armor showed signs of frost and the joints refused to cooperate, leaving him in an awkward pose.

“You are needed comrade commissar.” The stallion said in the same emotionless, robotic tone as all the rest. Placing the cap upon her head and with a heavy sigh, Applejack rose from the stump. The guard walked off, motioning for her to follow. Before embarking, Applejack spared a glance at her brother, for some kind of reassurance or comfort. He smiled weakly at her, yet the small act of compassion lifted her spirits slightly.

The orange pony and her silent guide moved away from the farm and down one of the paths leading into town. They passed many crowds of citizens being herded to their designated workplaces. The sight angered Applejack. They called it a workers’ paradise but all she could call it was slavery. Soon they reached the town square, if all the locations and landmarks, the square bore the most flags and banners. The whole area seemed to be covered in black and red. Applejack’s mind momentarily shifted to her friend Rarity, she could only guess how close the mare would be to madness by now after being forced to make so many of those annoying banners.

Upon entering the pavilion, Applejack moved up the stairs until she reached a small, rarely used room. Passing through the portal, she was met with the familiar sight of the Ponyville commune. A large round table occupied the center room, unlike all other aspects of the village, there were no banners within the room. Only a small iron hammer and sickle pinned over the doorway stood as a reminder that they lived in an occupied Equestria. Sitting around the table where the seven officials of the commune. Commissar for Education (Cheerilee), Commissar for Logistics (Derpy), Commissar for Infrastructure,( Fluttershy), Commissar for Public Relations, (Mad-Magnus), Commissar for Defense, (Vladimir ,Reik’s lapdog), Commissar for Industry( Iris), and Chairman, Reik. All arrayed in the Commissars cloak and cap except for Magnus and Vladimir, who wore their own sets of armor.

Derpy stood with her head resting on the table, eyes shut or, ‘resting’ as she had put it. There never really is much use for a logistics officer in a territory spanning only a single village. Fluttershy shifted uncomfortably in her place as Iris questioned her about the conditions within Ponyville, it was an obviously forced conversation. Cheerilee watched silently with a miserable expression as the two mares went back and forth. Vladimir was in deep discussion with Magnus, the two whispering to each other in near silent tones. Reik, staring off into space with a blank expression, breaking the statue like pose to shiver violently for half a second before returning to the pose. It was a familiar sight that had been repeated in every meeting. As Applejack took her place at the table, Magnus broke off his conversation with Vladimir and addressed the room. “Ah, the Commissar for Agriculture has joined us, let us begin.” He said in a tone Applejack would expect to hear from a snake, or similar sinister being. “This wasn’t scheduled.” Applejack said blatantly. “Why did you call me here?” She finished. Magnus smiled broadly. “Well it has come to my attention that there are some complaints among the commissariat and I think we should clear things up as soon as possible. “Are we going to have to go through the normal procedure for discussion?” questioned Iris. Magnus, still smiling, shook his head.

The room exploded into typhoon of argumentation.