• Published 3rd Sep 2011
  • 5,612 Views, 93 Comments

The Story of Reik: The Communist Revolutionary: MLP - Reik



The story of Reik. A pony trying to spread Communism across Equestria.

  • ...
2
 93
 5,612

Chapter 10: Falling

THE FREZZING WIND and the shaking aircraft was all that Vladimir registered. His ears stopped throbbing a few hours ago, or at least he assumed it was hours, maybe it was minutes, Vladimir had lost track of time since he lost his watch. Whether it was lost in the escape or during the flight he didn’t dwell on the subject for long. The world moved around him in a silent ballet, the snow fell in hushed rhythm with the vehicles vibrations and he soon found a sense of beauty in his new silent world. Vladimir didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his friend's work, if you could call it work, on the flyer's engine. Only five out of the six pistons had been replaced, the sixth merely vented smoke and fire and the other five groaned with friction due to limited lubrication. Vladimir could hear the old machine groan with pain. He secretly lamented for the collection of scrap they were flying on, it cried out for aid, for a pause in the unrelenting labor of flight.

"Quiet my dear, I promise I'll lubricate you and repair your pistons once we land." Vladimir felt a tap on his shoulder and reluctantly turned to see Reik staring at him with a look of concern on his expression. Vladimir felt his face redden. "Sorry to disturb you comrade, just err, talking to the machine." Reik nodded in understanding, this was not the first time the two had caught the other in extra ordinary behaviors and they had both become aquatinted with each other’s quirks. The black pony's attention flashed to his documents. Reik lashed out at the collection of papers occupying half of his seat. He pinned several pages with his hooves and continued his work, fumbling to himself as he did so.

Ever since their journey started, Reik had been studying the handbook for the operation. Vladimir saw Reik scratch out everything from short sentences to entire paragraphs and begin writing crooked notes in the margins. This practice brought great unease to Vladimir's thoughts. The mission was still a mystery to him; Reik's rather miserable description of operation last contingency did nothing to satisfy Vladimir's questions. As he went over this topic of doubt, his mind soon shifted to thoughts about his lack of hearing. When he first realized the disability he was lost in panic, he felt lonely and scared of this sudden turn of events and wanted nothing more than to cry out in anguish. He no longer cared about the mission; he knew it was doomed as he panicked over his ringing ears. When he made it to through the swallowing crowd and into the garage he was immediately comforted by Reik's diagnosis. His hearing would return in time and the thought of repairing them further with the talisman filled Vladimir with relief and comfort. Yes the mission was still on the brink of failure and his damaged ears only increased the scales against them but Vladimir’s relief would not be stemmed. The grey pony had a sudden thought as he examined their predicament. They were in the middle of a revolution, the likes of which would shape all of Equestria. They had just invoked the wrath of one of the most powerful beings in existence, and their so-called master plan was being re written this very moment but in spite of all these overwhelming factors, a deaf guard and an anti social politician had a legitimate chance at victory. If that one had told me that we might be situation like this when, I probably would have dismissed that little pony as insane, thought Vladimir. With a short chuckle, Vladimir focused on the task before him.

The dark sky spread out before him, endless and barren like being lost in the deepest cave. The snowfall had lessened significantly and visibility was beyond what Vladimir had expected. Vladimir peered over the edge of the flyer to get some sort of bearing. Below the duo, the ground raced past them, Vladimir piloted the machine along a twisting path, hoping it would lead him to whatever their destination was. As they moved above a snow covered field, the empty ground turned to foliage and the path they where tracking disappeared below a tree line. Vladimir was scanning the empty forest for a landmark or any other form of guidance as the engine bloc detonated in a haze of sparks and smoke.
It had lessened significantly since their departure, and visibility was much better than Vladimir had anticipated. He carefully leaned over to observe the land below him, below the flyer laid a dense forest, the top canopy of which covered by a thin layer of snow. A snaking trail moved along the terrain and the lamps and torches of weary travelers dotted the trail. The engine bloc detonated in a cloud of smoke and sparks as Vladimir wondered to himself why any pony would be out in such weather.

REIK JAMMED THE pieces of parchment into his coat pocket as he stared in surprise at the smoking engine. Three pistons had been immediately ejected from the machine and black smoke billowed out of the empty cavities. The remaining two pistons screeched in their sockets, metal scrapped against metal, sparks spat out of the wrecked machine in and singed Reik’s hat. The black pony looked to Vladimir in outraged shock as his comrade peered over the flyers edge, starring in bliss at the forest beneath them. Reik lashed at Vladimir, alerting him of the disaster.

“The engine just exploded you deaf fool!” He roared, disregarding his friend’s inability to register the insult. Reik stuck his comrade across the back of his head sharply. Vladimir’s head turned quickly, a look of anger suddenly turning to fear as he realized the status of the stricken craft. Vladimir and Reik shared a looked of pure, uncorrupted horror as the rotor blades came apart and was casted from the sky and into the dark forest.