• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 5,307 Views, 239 Comments

Parental Problems - Speven Dillberg

  • ...
14
 239
 5,307

Prologue: Red Letter Day

Post Haste yawned as he pulled himself out from under Rainbow Dash’s legs. Three months had passed since he had arrived in Equestria in mysterious circumstances, and just less time since he had been turned into a pony. Now he had a job, friends and a steady relationship with a native of the world.

The blue-grey stallion stood and shook his head in an attempt to clear away the dull haze of sleep. He looked dimly around the cloud house he shared with his lover, his mind still trying to get moving.

“Hey handsome.” He turned around and saw that he had woken up Rainbow Dash, her technicolour mane a mess. He didn’t care. She looked as radiant as ever. “Why don’t you come back to bed?” she asked, patting the cloud as she gave him her best “come hither” eyes.

He flapped his wings. “I have to work. Somepony has to deliver the mail.”

“We’ll be quick.”

“The last time you said that I was two hours late and Ditzy threatened to fire me,” Postie replied with a soft laugh. “For the fastest pony in Equestria you really take your time.”

“What can I say?” Rainbow replied, laughing as well. “You make me wanna slow down.”

Postie leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “After work, okay? It’s only Sunday, there probably won’t be much anyway.”

“Just don’t take too long,” Rainbow said as he flew out of the window and down towards Ponyville.


Ponyville hadn’t really changed in the three months since his arrival. The leaves had started to turn a mix of yellows and oranges but apart from that there was nothing of note. Rainbow’s weather duties had stepped up a notch, and a surprising influx of mail had kept Postie and Ditzy on the tips of their hooves for weeks. The good thing was the extra weight had made Postie a very strong flier.

He pushed open the door to the post office to see Ditzy Doo, the wall-eyed grey pegasus mare, preparing his saddlebags for his rounds. To his dismay, one of them was full. “Where is all this mail coming from?”

“No idea,” Ditzy replied, blowing some of her blonde mane out of her face. “It’s never been this busy this time of year. By the way,” she grabbed something from underneath the counter and passed it to the stallion, “this was addressed to you.”

“Really?” Postie looked at his first ever piece of personal mail; everything else had been to do with his employment or taxes. “Who’s it from?”

“No idea. The return address says it’s from Hippogriff, though.”

“Hippogriff?”

“It’s a town on the Equestria-Aquileon border,” Ditzy explained. “It’s only been around for two years.”

Hippogriff?” Postie asked again incredulously, refusing to believe what his boss had just said.

“That’s what I said,” Ditzy replied, looking confused, one eye staring blankly at the ceiling. “Is something wrong?”

The stallion shook his head and sighed. “No, never mind. Just... something you wouldn’t get.” He went behind the counter and grabbed his mailpony cap, a simple thing with the Royal Equestrian Postal Service’s winged scroll stitched onto the front.

The mare stared at her colleague before shaking her head. “Okay then. Anyway, being on the border means that there’s a lot of griffons living there with ponies.”

“Don’t griffons eat meat?” Three months ago the idea would have meant less than nothing to him, but three months in the body of a vegetarian had changed Postie’s outlook. Eating meat was now something he viewed as vile and wrong, though not exactly evil.

“They don’t eat ponies,” Ditzy replied with an eyeroll. “I was at flight school with a griffon, they’re not that bad.”

“Really?”

“She was an exchange student. Now,” she said, grabbing the saddlebags and dropping them onto Postie, making him stumble as he tried to cope with the sudden weight, “get out there and deliver that mail.”

“Yes ma’am,” Postie droned when he regained his balance.

“I’ve told you not to call me that,” Ditzy replied, sounding a little annoyed.

“I know,” the stallion replied with a smile as he flew out of the door, the bell jangling merrily.


It took him most of the day to complete his rounds, but the time seemed to fly. The possible contents of the letter, tucked under his cap, were on his mind the whole time. He operated on auto-pilot, ignoring most of the greeting he received.

“Are you okay?”’

“I’m fine, Pinkie.”

“No, you’re not. You know what you need?”

“... A party?”

“A part - hey, that’s my line!” Ponyville’s premier party pony, Pinkie Pie, gave the mailpony a slightly annoyed stare. “Why are you so down, anyway? Trouble in bed?”

“No, it’s - WHAT!? No!” The stallion looked at the pink pony with a mix of disgust and shock. “What made you think that?” he asked loudly, his previous train of thought thoroughly derailed.

“Just a guess.” Pinkie grabbed her mail in her mouth and happily bounced inside Sugar Cube Corner. “Pheeya!”

“Yeah, bye.” Now he was worried about something completely different. Was Rainbow being entirely honest with him? What had she been telling her friends? He pushed the thoughts from his mind, deciding that thinking like that wasn’t a good idea. “Damn that crazy pony,” he muttered.

He took a look at his saddlebags and noticed that they seemed deflated. He stuck his head in each and found that both were in fact completely empty. He chuckled and shook his head, not really able to believe that he had managed to miss something like that. He turned tail and flew back towards the post office, his mind turning to what Rainbow would say and do when he got back to the cloud house.

“Why are you smiling like that?” Ditzy asked when the stallion pushed open the door to the post office.

“Huh?”

“I haven’t seen anypony smile like that since Twilight went nuts.”

Postie toned the smile from ‘blood-thirsty murderer’ down to ‘smug’. “Sorry. Didn’t mean to scare you.”

Ditzy waved a hoof airily. “Compared to Nightmare Moon declaring eternal night, your smile is nothing,” she said. “Just don’t do it again.”

“Right.” Postie walked over to the saddlebag hook and hung them up, before taking off his cap. When he did, the envelope he had tucked under it fluttered down to the ground, where it rested against his hoof. It took him a moment to remember what it was. “Oh yeah!”

“And I thought I had memory problems,” Ditzy commented.

“When you run into Pinkie Pie, you forget things,” Postie replied as he opened the envelope. He put the letter onto the counter and straightened it out with his hooves. He leaned over and read through the letter, his brow furrowing as he took in the contents. When he finished reading it the first time, he read it a second, then a third to make sure that he had understood perfectly what was written. “Ditzy,” he said, his ears drooping, “I’m gonna need some time off.”