• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 3,767 Views, 196 Comments

To Be Truly Happy - KiaraKovu123



Pinkie is lonely after the aftermath of "Breaking Chaos" so, she decides to set things str

  • ...
8
 196
 3,767

Dreams and Detectives

The field was as far as the eye could see. The grass was made out of scrumptious licorice sticks. The tree trunks, the few of what little trees there were, had chocolate trunks stretching up into a green sticky peppermint oasis at the top.

Smiling lively, an earth pony by the name of Pinkamena Diane Pie, Pinkie for short, bounced across the field, giggling to herself at the spectacle that was before her cerulean blue eyes. She stopped short at a small spring to quench her thirst. She lay down next to the pool of chocolate milk and sipped it lightly, savoring every mouthful. When she was satisfied, she licked her lips and sat up.

“Pinkie…” her ears pricked up at the strange voice, it sounded oddly familiar, but she couldn’t put her hoof on it. She turned her head slightly and stood up.

“Um…hello?” she stared into the mist that hung over the land.

There came a soft reply, “Pinkie…”

She tilted her head and took a step forward, “Who are you? Do I know you?” the voice had a slight echo to it, almost a hypnotizing aura that made Pinkie curious.

“Come.” The voice said softly. Pinkie smiled.

“Is this a game? Oh, oh, Hide and Seek, maybe? Do I have to find you? And who are you, anyways?”

The voice chuckled, “Come and see for yourself. I’m waiting.” Pinkie immediately bounded foreword, racing over the licorice and expecting something up ahead. She noticed the blurry outline of something. Then, slowing her pace, she trotted towards it.

She got tingles when she saw who it was, “Dis…Discord…? But how…how did…what!?”

He gave her a mischievous smile, “That doesn’t matter. All that matters is…I’m back! And this time…” he winked at her, “I’m here to stay.”

Pinkie grinned, “You are!? YES! I missed you so much!” she leapt into his outstretched arms and hugged him tightly.
There was no reply. After a few moments, she began to feel awkward, then she opened her eyes and looked around.

Nopony was in sight. She began to feel lonely. She called out, “Hello? Dissy?” her ears drooped and she sank onto the ground. The licorice began to slowly melt away and the ground was now pitch black. Pinkie sighed and rested her head on the colorless land. She slowly faded away…

---

*Thump*
“AH!” Pinkie Pie jumped awake, she was tangled up in her covers and she kicked them off. Backing up on the wooden flooring, she bumped into her night table, making it shake. She gasped and quickly grabbed the lamp to prevent it from falling. She sighed and put it back in its former position.

Pinkie slowly turned around to see if she had woken Gummy, her toothless baby alligator. He was curled up in his bed sleeping soundly. The pink pony sighed and crawled back into bed. She pulled the covers over her head and looked around under the sheets. “Another dream about Dissy…” she thought to herself. “And this time it was a nightmare, too…” Pinkie pulled the covers down off her head and stared at the pastel pink ceiling, thinking about all the times she and her draconiques friend had spent together. She could almost remember that doughnut that she had the day before he left.
Pinkie’s ears drooped and she turned her head to the window where she heard crickets chirping Ponyville a soothing lullaby. She sat up and looked at the twinkling stars outside her bedroom. The faint patterns of constellations made her feel a little better. Twilight, her Unicorn friend had told her that the stars made patterns in the sky and it was fun to spot them.
Suddenly, a shooting star darted across the sky and Pinkie walked over to her open window to make a wish. “Um…Mr. Star?” she said aloud. “I don’t know if it’s really true that you grant wishes, let alone even hear them. But this is my one last hope.” She let out a long sigh and looked around her sleeping hometown. Nopony was out at the moment, for it was half-past two AM. All was very quiet and still. She turned back to the sky,
“If you could have time to spare just for me. Because, I know lots of ponies make wishes on you. So, um…about six months ago I said goodbye to a friend…and…I was just hoping that maybe I could see him…maybe one last time. You see, I keep having…” she let out a yawn, “These dreams…and no matter how much I hope they’d leave me alone, they won’t. So, if you could, just, please grant my wish. I’d give up all the sugar cookies in the world just to see Dissy again. So, um…I’m signing off now. Er…g’night, Mr. Star.” Pinkie smiled and turned back to her bed. She walked over to it and then an idea popped into her head, she grinned widely. She turned to Gummy, trotted over to him and sat down.
“Gummy?” she tapped him and he stirred. “I have a plan.” Gummy opened his purple eyes and gazed up at her, yawning. Pinkie giggled, “Go back to sleep, little guy. Tomorrow’s gonna be our day.” She kissed him on the cheek, “Tomorrow, we’re gonna get a friend back!” Gummy blinked and rolled over. Pinkie giggled and climbed back into her own bed, humming to herself. She pulled up the covers and closed her eyes. “Tomorrow, I’m gonna book us a trip to Canterlot.” She sighed and drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

*The Next Morning*


Opening her eyes the next morning, Pinkie sat straight up in bed and looked over at Gummy. “Gums, time to wake up!” she pushed the covers down and climbed out of bed and got her slippers on. They were pink piggies that made ‘oink, oink’ sounds when you walked on them, they always cheered Pinkie up. Pinkie walked over to Gummy and tapped him, “Are you ready, Gummy?” she asked him, grinning. He blinked up at her and got out of his bed. Pinkie squatted down and the alligator latched onto her mane, she trotted out of the room and downstairs.

“Hello, Pinkie! Have a good sleep?” said Mrs. Cake, Pinkie’s employer and good friend. Pinkie nodded and looked at Gummy.

“We both did! I have to go out of town, today, though.”

Mrs. Cake paused, “Oh? Is something wrong, dear?” Pinkie bristled and stuttered a bit trying to think of what her excuse should be for not being there. In almost all of her time at Sugarcube Corner she had never taken the day off, except weekends.

“Oh, no, no, no! Nothing like that at all! I just wanted to see a friend.” Mrs. Cake smiled. Suddenly, the door opened and the bell made a jingling sound. Pinkie turned to see three small fillies at the door. “Hey, it’s the CMC! What are ya up to today, girls!?”

A cream colored earth pony with orange eyes and a bow in her red mane smiled at Pinkie, “Applejack said we could get sweets for later!” Apple Bloom was this filly’s name and her friends Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle walked up to the counter.

“Hi, Mrs. Cake! How are you?” said Sweetie Belle, a Unicorn filly who was the younger sister of Pinkie’s friend, Rarity. Mrs. Cake smiled,

“I’m just fine, girls! How are you all?”

Scootaloo, an orange Pegasus with a purple mane piped up, “We’re good! Got any sweet treats for us today?”

Mrs. Cake smiled, “Sure do! What would you like today, Crusaders?”

Scootaloo jumped up and down, “Blueberry muffin, please!”

Sweetie Belle licked her lips at the long line of sweets placed before her, “Hm…I guess the uh…the white frosted doughnut!” she pointed to it and Mrs. Cake got it for her.

“Apple fritter, please!” Apple Bloom said. Pinkie smiled when she said that because she Apple Bloom always picked the fritter. Pinkie thought they were delish, too! Mrs. Cake gave them each a bag with their sweets in them.

“Enjoy!” Mrs. Cake and Pinkie said in unison. The Cutie Mark Crusaders nodded and ran over to a table. “Now, Pinkie.” Mrs. Cake turned to her, “Have a good time with your friend!” Pinkie nodded.

“I sure will, thanks!” she smiled and trotted out the door. The CMC looked after her and Scootaloo took a bite of her muffin.

“Wonder where she’s going.” She said with her mouth full. The other two shrugged. “Hey, I know! Cutie Mark Crusader Spies!” Apple Bloom choked on her fritter.

“Us? Spies? We could get our cutie marks in spyin’?” she coughed. Sweetie Belle brightened and her green eyes glittered.

“I think it’s an awesome idea! I’d like to see who Pinkie’s meeting with, too!” she nodded. “Nice thinking, Scootaloo!” Scootaloo smiled.

“Now, if she’s not gonna be back today, I wonder…” Scoots tapped her chin in thought, “Hm, well, she must be going out of town.”

Sweetie Belle shrugged, “Should we follow her to the train station?” Scootaloo quickly finished off her muffin and nodded.

“Yep! Let’s go there now! CUTIE MARK CRUSADER SPIES, YAY!”

Mrs. Cake peeked into the room, “What was that, girls?” the CMC gave her nervous smiles. Scootaloo bumped Apple Bloom on the shoulder.

“Uh…we were just…um…These treats are SOOO good! We had to say somethin’ about em’!” the cream earth pony smiled anxiously.

Mrs. Cake smiled at them and giggled, “I’m really glad you like them! But, could you be a little quieter, please?” the Crusaders nodded and turned back to Scootaloo, they hoof bumped her and then they were off.

---

Pinkie passed through the town, with one thing on her mind. She nodded nicely to everypony she saw, with The Cutie Mark Crusaders following close behind. Pinkie walked up to a booth and smiled at the clerk in front of her. “Hi!” she said, happily, “May I have two tickets to Canterlot, please?” she asked. The clerk, a gray earth pony with a black mane and freckles smiled at Pinkie and nodded.

“Two tickets for you! And…who else are you taking?” the pony looked around nosily. Pinkie giggled and turned around, Gummy was contently riding on her back. The clerk smiled. “Aw, what a cute lizard!”

Pinkie corrected her, “Alligator. Is name is Gummy! He has no teeth!” the clerk looked mildly disturbed and she gulped.

“Ahahaha…he’s um…cute.” She gave Pinkie a quick smile and looked at a piece of paper. “The train will be leaving in about three minutes, miss.” She turned to Pinkie and gave her the tickets. Pinkie, in turn, gave her ten bits. “Have a nice trip!” the clerk said, smiling. Pinkie nodded and walked over to a bench and took a seat.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders, who were watching her from behind a decorative plant, frowned. They had no idea how they were going to get on the train and they didn’t have any bits, either. Apple Bloom grimaced, “Ah don’t see how we’re gonna do this! Even if we do somehow get on the train, Pinkie’ll see us, no doubt about it!” she shook her head. Scootaloo clicked her tongue.

“I don’t see either…maybe we could ride in storage?” the orange suggested, glancing at Sweetie Belle. Sweetie grinned.

“I think that’s a great idea! Yeah, let’s do it! Let’s sneak into the freight car!” she turned around and snuck along the back of the bench, trying to stay out of sight of Pinkie. Scootaloo gasped and pulled her back.

“Are you crazy? We need a disguise first, silly!” she looked at Apple Bloom, who shrugged. Sweetie tapped her chin with her hoof in thought.

“Well, I’m sure Rarity would have something…”

“But,” Scootaloo rolled her eyes, “by the time we get there the train will have left!” the other two nodded and sighed.

Sweetie looked at the ponies passing by and her ears drooped. “I guess it won’t work…” Scootaloo and Apple Bloom sighed and then they heard a shout.

“All aboard that’s coming aboard!” said the conductor. Pinkie looked up from her deep thoughts and grabbed her ticket. She walked over and hoofed it to the conductor he looked it over and smiled. “Have a nice trip, Ms. Pie!” Pinkie giggled and said thanks and skipped on the train. The CMC sighed and walked out of their hiding place. Scootaloo sat down on the same bench Pinkie was on and bit her lip.

“That was a total bust…” the other two nodded and sat down Sweetie Belle stopped short.

“Wait!” she grabbed something, “Pinkie forgot Gummy’s ticket! That means we can go!” Apple Bloom glared at Sweetie Belle.

“Yeah, ONE of us can go. What’s the point in goin’ if we can’t all go together?” Sweetie Belle shook her head and looked around the room. She spied a box marked ‘lost and found’ in black printing and she skipped over to it.

“There must be something we can use in here…” she fiddled through it. “AHA! A jacket!” she pulled out a big black jacket with spiffy gray buttons and it even had a hat to match! Scootaloo and Apple Bloom smiled and came running up. “Isn’t this great? Put it on!” she said to the girls. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo raised an eyebrow.

“We all suppost to wear that?” Apple Bloom studied it closely. Sweetie Belle nodded and stepped into it. Scootaloo shrugged and did too.
Moments later, the girls were all standing on top of each other. Sweetie at the bottom, Scootaloo middle and Apple Bloom at the top with the hat pulled down over her face. They stumbled over to the bench and Apple Bloom grabbed the ticket and walked up to the conductor. He had a confused look on his face.

“Erm…hello.” He said, looking at the strange “pony” that stood before him. Apple Bloom tried to think of something to say.

“Ah’d like to…uh…” she cleared her throat and deepened her voice, “I’d like to come aboard.” She said through clenched teeth. The conductor studied her for a moment then cleared his throat.

“Come right ahead…” he said, stepping aside, allowing the Cutie Mark Crusaders to pass. Sweetie Belle stumbled forward, carrying her two friends on her back, it sure wasn’t easy. The conductor made a face at Apple Bloom, but she stumbled in the train without flinching. Pinkie Pie, who was looking out the window didn’t seem to notice the CMC enter, Apple Bloom quietly tip-toed past her and took a seat.

Pinkie stared at the vast expanse of the plains beyond the train depot. She sighed and looked down briefly at the floor. She blinked as she had she had an illusion of Twilight giving her a glare. She quickly shook her head and stared over at Gummy, who was sitting next to her. “Hey, Gummy.” She said. “How are we gonna make this work? I mean, I have no idea how we’re gonna break Discord out. And I certainly don’t know what to do after that.”
Gummy didn’t answer.
Pinkie smiled slightly at what she called Gummy’s “enthusiasm” Twilight liked to call it “Silence”. Pinkie turned back to the window and then the train started to move slightly. She turned, expecting to see the conductor come by to punch the tickets. He did, with a hole puncher. The first time she’d gone on a train, Pinkie had thought he would come by wearing wrestling gloves and literally punch the ticket. Whenever she thought about how silly that was, she would laugh.
Presently, Pinkie giggled and looked out the window again. The cool winter air made whooshing noises as the train picked up speed. The mare blinked and smiled as it started to snow, not much, just flurries. She suddenly had a strong desire for them to be turned into peppermints falling from the sky. “Maybe when Discord gets back, I’ll ask him!” she said aloud.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders gasped. “DISCORD?!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, receiving a “SHHH!!!” from Scootaloo. Pinkie blinked and rubbed her ear. She could swear she heard Sweetie Belle shout something…oh, well. She turned back to the window.

Scootaloo groaned softly. Sweetie Belle gave her a look from under their chair. She girls had ultimately taken off the costume and put it on the seat, they would rather hide under the chair than wear a stinky costume all day, at least while they followed Pinkie. Scootaloo glared at Sweetie Belle, “You almost blew our cover!” she whispered sharply.

Sweetie glared back, “Sorry! But aren’t you surprised, too!? I mean, DISCORD!” she practically shouted the last word and her friends shushed her again.

“Ah actually am surprised. What would Pinkie want with Discord?” Apple Bloom gave her friends a quizzical shrug.

Scootaloo nodded, “That dude’s trouble! He made everypony go berserk!” Apple Bloom and Sweetie nodded. “And to boot, he’s been gone for over two years! Why does she suddenly care about him now?”

Sweetie’s eyes sparkled like diamonds, “Maybe she’s in love!” the girls gasped.

Apple Bloom scooted away from Sweetie Belle, “Are you outta your thinker!?” Scootaloo scowled. Sweetie Belle shook her head and looked up at the ‘roof’ the train seat made above the CMC, who were nestled under the chair.

“I’m not crazy! I think this must be it! Think about it, they’re like secret lovers who want to be together, but they’re flames of love and adoration for each other are diminished by the other ponies who hate Discord! It’s just like one of those sappy romance novels Twilight told me about!” Sweetie Belle explained, making the others scoot farther away from her.

Scootaloo grimaced. “Love? But their so different! And Discord’s trapped in stone for Celestia’s sake! How exactly do you know Pinkie is going for him?”

“Who else would she be going for!?”

“I dunno!”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes, “Scootaloo, she SAID Discord! What, is Discord suddenly the most popular colt name nowadays?”

Scootaloo blinked “Er…um…”

“Exactly.” Sweetie continued, “And that’s why-”

“We should stick ‘round and find out!” Apple Bloom finished for her, smiling. Scootaloo rolled her eyes.

“Uh, fine…but you know I’m not much for romance, even if that ONE time I made up a love potion with you guys.”

“Love POISON.” The girls corrected her simultaneously. Scootaloo sighed and nodded.

“Right.” Scootaloo sighed. “We’re not doing the same with these two, right?”

“NO!!” the two screamed, making Pinkie turn around and look over the back of her seat. The girls crawled backwards, and once Pinkie Pie was out of earshot, they said again, this time quieter. “No.” Scootaloo wiped the sweat from her face and put on the best fake smile she could.

“That’s good. Now, we’ll just follow Pinkie.”

The other two brohoofed her and smiled, and together they whispered, “Cutie Mark Crusader Undercover Detectives! YAY!”

Apple Bloom smirked, “Commence operation: Easy as Pie!”