• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 1,433 Views, 127 Comments

Darkside Equestria: Redemption and Resurrection - DarksideEquestria



A strange tale of magic, otherworldy powers, and revenge. Join our two protagonists on their journey

  • ...
8
 127
 1,433

Chapter 12: Role Models

Chapter 12
Role Model Day


Seething Mass

So many problems, there are so many problems with this machine.

Barnabus tries so hard to help, he really does, but he can’t do much except care for his daughter and bring me new sheets of parchment. This team KRONOS, as they call it, is made of only the best and brightest minds, I am told, and yet how they managed to get so many details wrong I will never understand. For instance, how in Equestria could they POSSIBLY forget to factor in the gravitational force of Dark Matter into their calculations! That tiny bit of data in-and-of itself sets the entire D.E.E.P (That being of course the Dimensional Energy Extraction Profiler, as Barnabus INSISTS on telling me every time I use their convenient acronym) haywire, completely useless! Nopony around here seems to know anything other than the most basic of gravitational laws. I guess that makes sense, Princesses Luna and Celestia control most of the orbital bodies, but the D.E.E.P. won’t locate any other universes with the wild variables Cilia’s team throws in. It appears there are places in the multi-verse where gravity is a constant force, and for some reason I am the only pony who seems to have thought of that idea.

At least Desdemona has been helpful. Her cutie mark itself is a rather beautiful book wrapped up in ribbon, her special talent is reading and retaining information. She has been far more helpful, seeing as she remembers all the little detailed calculations and measurements that I can’t quite hold on to. I’ve been staying nights working at Barnabus’s house; he has a room set up for me. I usually don’t sleep much anyways, so I’ve had plenty of time during the nights to work on the designs for this trans-dimensional portal. I make the blueprints during the night, then build prototypes back at my shop on Sweet Apple Acres. I can tell the Apple family doesn’t like me being gone, I help, try to, try to help with the chores with even more enthusiasm when they wake up so they won’t be worried. I’ve been trying to convince Barnabus to let me take Desdemona out here with me, she would be such a benefit to my work! Alas, he is frightened of what might happen if the Apple family found out about her, which is most inconvenient. At this rate I’ll be lucky to get done in less than a month, Celestia apparently wants this done as soon as possible.

This coil of copper needs to go here, a few high-quality cut diamonds here, perhaps this metal sheeting will do fine as a casing…

“Mr. Seething Mass?”

I would know that tiny southern accent anywhere.

“Yes, Applebloom? What do you need?”

She is standing in the doorway to my Alchemyst’s Kitchen, she has her booksaddle from school. Her stance is at-ease; she at least no longer cringes when she enters a room I happen to be in. Tor is right. Children are so very accepting.

“HI! Watcha’ workin’ on?”

“Well it’s actually the focusing apparatus for a dimensional-rift generator. This part right here is the finder, it looks for the tiny holes in space-time at the quantum level, quantum foam. When it locates an appropriate amount of them it sends the information to this part here, which uses an energy pulse to merge them into something about the size of an electron. This hole can then be stabilized, all of this happens in less than 1/10,000th of a second, or will if it works.”

Her face registers as confusion. Not surprising. Most adults don’t understand this kind of thing, and she is just a foal. Still, she is helpful in her own way. She has a most convenient talent for putting things together, I’m sure when she discovers her special talent it will have something to do with sound construction.
She speaks.

“Wow, that sounds comp’licated. Hey, I was wondering…”









Tor Ironclad

“…if you would like to be my role model for Role Model day at school! You are the BEST, the first pony I thought of!”

“Wow Sweetie Belle, I would be honored! What is the occasion?”

“Well recently in school we have been learning about how everypony has someone they look up to, and how a good role model is somepony you can talk to about anything. Miss Cheerilee said we should try to pick somepony outside of our family, and I thought of you right away!”

I was, as always, reminded that I am somewhat intimidating. I’m not even sure miss Cheerilee likes me, why would she think it’s a good idea to let me come to class? Here’s the way I see it: I quite often can be found conversing and playing with the foals of Ponyville. Miss Cheerilee sometimes walks by and gives me a worried look, but not worried for me. She’s worried about the children. I can understand why, though. I am very big and very heavy and even clumsier than my size and heft combined. She probably thinks I’ll crush the foals or hurt them in some way, which makes me feel a bit sad inside. I always make sure to be extra careful with the foals. I couldn’t ever forgive myself if one of them was hurt and it was my fault.

All that aside, I tried very hard to think of a good reason not to come, so as not to make miss Cheerilee nervous. Forgetting how smart and naïve young ponies are, I mistakenly replied, “Of course, I would love to come… But you see, I’m not entirely sure what I would talk about.” I remembered all of the stories (censored of the more violent parts, of course) that Sweetie Belle secretly made me tell her about my bounty hunting days. “As you probably remember, my past isn’t all too foal appropriate”

“Well you don’t HAVE to talk about those parts silly! You could just talk about your job at Sugarcube Corner! I’m sure everypony, even Miss Cheerilee, would love to hear about that!”

I was backed into a corner. Sweetie Belle had gotten me good. I’m actually kind of glad that she did, now that I think of it. “You know what? You’re right! Why, young miss Sweetie Belle, I would be absolutely honored to join you to class tomorrow!” I said, and Sweetie Belle giggled like usual when I called her “Young miss”. She likes it when I do that.

Rarity smiled at how well I was doing with Sweetie Belle. I smiled back, and I think somehow she could see it.

---------------------------------------

The Next Day


The room is full of little fillies and colts and their mentors. I see that Twist has invited Miss Pinkie Pie. I enter the room, and miss Cheerilee gives me a nervous smile and welcomes me in. She doesn’t seem as worried as usual, which puts me at ease. I’m looking around the room to see who else might have been invited. I see a few elderly ponies and several public workers. It’s good to see that so many foals had somepony to look up to. As my eyes continue to wander across the room, I notice somepony who I had hoped I wouldn’t. Standing next to little Applebloom is Seething Mass. He’s nervous, but not as nervous as usual, somehow. I glance at him, and he stares back. I try to be nonchalant about our eye contact. Still I am unable to look for long, as staring at him seems to make me start to feel emotions that cause me to feel ways I know I shouldn’t, I’d almost call it anger. I wager that it’s because of what happened on Hearts and Hooves day. I mean, he just stood there and didn’t help me when he knew he should have. I have every right to be angry, don’t I? But for some reason, I feel I shouldn’t be angry with him. It’s an absolute mess.

I must have been dwelling on these thoughts for a long time, because most of the other presenters have finished speaking while I was stewing. Some of the speakers were construction workers, others were police ponies, and others still were dentists and doctors. None of them had caught my interest enough to penetrate my thoughts. The next filly that walks up does, however. One of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Scootaloo, is up next. Scootaloo stands up and walks to the front of the room, grinning as Rainbow Dash trots and stands next to her.

“My name is Scootaloo. For my role-pony, I chose Rainbow Dash of course! She’s only the fastest, most AWESOME, truly inspiring pony I know! She can go from 0 to RAINBOOM in less tha-“

Miss Cheerilee doesn’t look too pleased. She grunts a little and Scootaloo gives a little laugh.

“eheh, sorry Miss Cheerilee. I meant to say that I chose Rainbow Dash because she has been teaching me so much about flying and helping me exercise. She IS really cool, but she is also really good to her friends and stuff.”

Miss Rainbow Dash pats Scootaloo on the shoulders and she smiles, they are obviously very close. Then Rainbow Dash speaks.

“Yeah, Scoots and I practice our moves all the time. She’s a wonderful audience for me. She is right, I am the fastest pony in Equestria and someday I’m going to join the WONDERBOLTS! In the meantime though I hang in Ponyville as a weather pony, I coordinate the weather team for The Coming of the Snows and Winter Wrap-up, and I am the Element of Loyalty!”

Here she turns to Scootaloo.

“Thanks for choosing me as your role pony Scoots, you’re a good kid and I know you’re goin’ places. You just need to remember that no matter where you go, no matter how far ahead of everypony else you fly, don’t forget your friends. They are the ones that support you when you feel like giving up, and believe me they will hunt you down and tie you up to protect you if you get too far off track. Trust me, I’ve had it happen before.”

Everypony in the room laughed here, but I notice Pinkie Pie has a particularly satisfied look on her face. I hear Seething Mass mutter, “Discord…Cloudsdale wasn’t really in danger…” which draws my attention to him. I wonder if he doubts our friendship like I do, and when Rainbow Dash talks about loyalty I can’t help but remember how Seething Mass just stood there while my world fell to flames and Barnabus raged at me. He looks over and notices my expression, and a look of confusion crosses his face. I wonder if he realizes that my rage is real this time, and I wonder if he can feel the sadness beneath it. I look away and Rainbow Dash finishes speaking.

“So never forget your friends, ‘cause they won’t forget you.”

Everypony claps and Cheerilee steps forward. “Thank you so much Rainbow
Dash, what a wonderful role pony you have Scootaloo! Alright Sweetie Belle that’s it, settle down! You can go next! Remember, introduce yourself and your role pony.”

Sweetie Belle bounds up to the front of the room, and I follow her slowly, trying not to make a sound. “Hi everypony! I’m Sweetie Belle, and today I brought in Tor Ironclad to be my role model!” Miss Cheerilee lets out a small cough. I turn my head to look, and my decorations choose the worst possible moment to let out a loud squeak. I’m paralyzed, wide-eyed in embarrassment.

Sweetie Belle continues, “I chose to bring in Tor because he’s a super hero! Does anypony remember the Mysterious Mare-do-well? Well Tor’s like that, but times 10! He used to be like a cop, or something like that! Why, he told me about the times he…” I nudge her very gently, signifying to keep the secret, “Excuse me, I meant to say that he told me about the TIME he decided to quit that job and become a baker at Sugarcube Corner!” At this, Pinkie Pie is cheering very loudly, and soon stops in embarrassment as many ponies in the room are staring at her. “He’s made me a lot of sweets at work, and he’s really good at it too! I’m always glad to see him come home even if he doesn’t have anything with him, because he’s always super nice to Rarity and me. He likes to help us with the chores and tell me stories! He’s just like a brother to me, and he’s super cool, and that’s why I chose to bring him to school today.”

I start blushing, and am unsure of what to say. I am expected to say something, but the words won’t come out. I am frantically thinking of a speech, and then miss Cheerilee concernedly asks, “Mister Ironclad? Are you okay?”

I have nothing to say, and yet I feel oddly able to speak now. “Yes, I am alright thank you. I just had to think of something to say, sorry. I suppose I will start with this statement: I indeed was an instrument of the law a long time ago. I, I hunted down rogue ponies and turned them in. I was a bounty hunter. It kept me alive, and kept good ponies out of harm’s way, but I have since realized the error in my ways. I know that being a hero sounds wonderful and exciting, but it isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. That’s why I became a baker. Because I knew that would be helping more than fighting crime. That may sound nuts of me to say, but it’s the truth. It’s the little-known heroes, the bakers, the dentists and doctors, not to exclude the police of course, who make this a community worth fighting for. To be honest, I’m doing more good as a baker than I was as a hero. Don’t get me wrong, the police and fireponies are real heroes. I just knew I wasn’t doing any good where I was. I thought that I might be accepted into this amazing and friendly community if I looked good. But all that really did was alienate me even further. When I became a baker, I knew I had done the right thing. I was happy, and even more importantly, the ponies I served were happy. Seeing the smiling faces of this town taught me one thing, and this is the thing I want all of you to remember. Don’t do good things for the sake of looking good, impressing others, or earning rewards. Do good things because they’re the right things to do.”

Everypony in the room stands quiet for a moment, and then they erupt in applause. I glance at Cheerilee, and she gives me the warmest smile. Sweetie Belle is ecstatic, and gives me a huge hug. The room settles down, and Cheerilee goes to address the last mentor.

“Applebloom and S-Seething Mass? You are next.”









Seething Mass

I wouldn’t be doing this if it didn’t mean so much to Applebloom.

When Tor stood in the front of the room he was nervous, the room was nervous. He was able to win them in the end, however, and when he was done speaking they accepted him. Acceptance.

Applebloom tugs on my hoof and I give her a smile, but as we move to the front I can feel the wave of discontent roll through the gathered students and their mentors. I’ve gotten used to it, something about my presence is inherently unsettling to them, like I don’t belong somehow. Regardless, I walk up to the front of the small classroom as Applebloom begins to introduce me.

“Mah name is Apple Bloom, and for mah mentor tuhday I chose Seething Mass! Seething lives on mah family’s farm, and he always helps us with our farmwork. He isn’t as strong as mah brother, Big Mac, and he can’t applebuck like mah sister Applejack, but he helps us in other ways. He’s a wiz at muhchines, and he can always help fix whatever is broken on our tractors and stuff! He even teaches me things, like how to rig-up a motorized go-cart! He may not be an Apple, but he is definitely part of Sweet Apple Acres and the Apple Family!”

Clapping, applause, standard fare. Polite and restrained, more for her than for me I’m sure. It is now time for me to speak, but like Tor I find myself struggling for the words. The old uncertainty comes back as I try to make my words form themselves into ideas.

“You, thank…Thank you Applebloom. I’ll admit I d-don’t, know don’t I….I don’t k-know what to say, exa-exactly. Lost, quite, quite, I’m quite lost for w-words.”

Suddenly my mind is full of a feeling. Not really a picture, per se’, but an impression of emotion. Then a voice speaks. “I hate you dad, I hate you.”

I lift my head up. I didn’t realize it had fallen so low. My mind continues to fill with that emotion, the hollow feeling that comes from being hated, from not fitting in. I’ve felt it before. “I’m s-sorry about that, I had to find the right words. I’ve been sitting here, listening to all of the other mentors, and I realized something odd. Kept, I kept hearing all these words of encouragement, these hopeful praises to these little colts and fillies, and I couldn’t help but wonder if they were all honest.”

A silent gasp echoes through the tiny classroom. My vision starts to shrink, but I hold back the nervousness as my limbs begin to grow numb. These words must be spoken. I turn to Applebloom.

“Applebloom, I realize that the s-socially acceptable thing to say here would be something along the l-lines of, ‘There will always be someone to help you,’ or, ‘Life will always be good for you as long as you have friends,’ but the reality is that these are not true. Life is hard sometimes, and your friends will not always be there to help you.”

In my mind I can hear the clicking of dozens of clocks on shelves in an office, each one hand-made, each one completely different, each one impeccably on time. In the room I can hear Cheerilee switch from hoof to hoof nervously, my words displease her. I cannot bring myself to care, after all my very presence displeases her regardless of what words I do or do not speak. I continue.

“There will be times when you must find things out for yourself, when no one else will be able to help you, when no one else will give a d-d-damn. Even if they do, there may be nothing they can do to help you. You need to know this because someday you will experience what it is like to be alone, to be separate from everyone else. I want you to be strong enough to overcome that.”

Cheerilee steps in, interrupts me. I am not angered, I was able to speak and that is all that matters. Now at the very least they know what I think. She speaks. “Well Seething Mass, that is a very interesting take on things. You said you had some sort of demonstration of your work. Outside?”

Ah yes, the machine. “I did, please follow me.” This will hopefully impress them, at least. It has been somewhat of a pet project of mine. I cannot hope to ever regain the full use of my unicorn magic, but I can use my innate power for something else. Outside Applejack and Big Macintosh have brought over the machine. It’s huge, clunky, made mostly out of spare farm equipment, but I think it will work. The group of fillies and colts stand far enough away, I think, and watch as Applejack and Macintosh help me prepare to put the device on. To my surprise, Tor comes over to help. I don’t know what’s been up with him lately, he hasn’t spoken to me much since he broke into Barnabus’s house. I wonder if he feels guilty?










Tor Ironclad

All of what Seething Mass said was true, I will not argue with that. But the foals don’t need their illusion of safety broken yet. He was a bit too honest. He has the best of intentions, I’m sure, but even he has to know that he went too far this time.

We head outside. Seething Mass is talking to Applejack and Big Mac now, and even from a distance I can hear a condescending tone in his voice. It’s obvious that Applejack and Big Mac are only considered accessories to Seething Mass at this point. I need to have a word with him, he’s sounding disturbingly like his new buddy Barny. I move through the crowd and next to Seething Mass; his back turned to us as he is looking under a tarp at his design, probably to be sure it’s all secure. I gently nudge him with my hoof, and in a bored, apathetic voice, he answers me. “Yes, what is it Tor?”

I respond, “Seething Mass, how are you toda… Never mind, I’ll cut the cud. Look Seething Mass, don’t you think your speech may have been too harsh for the foals? I know you were only trying to prepare them, but nopony expected you to be that harsh. These are kids, Seething, it was too much. Know what I mean?”

“Are you insinuating that I should lie to them? Another great lesson from the virtuous Tor Ironclad, I suppose. I shall keep th-, mind time next keep… I shall keep that in mind for-”

“No, Seething Mass, I am not ‘insinuating’ anything. I merely suggest that you, I don’t know, moderate your words a bit better or something? The foals don’t know that the world is a dangerous place yet, and they don’t need to yet. I mean we don’t want them all to grow up into a bunch of manic depressives do we?”

Seething stopped paying attention seconds ago. He is looking at the tarp now, and finally rips it off of his creation. I am amazed, even horrified by what I see. I had trusted Seething Mass, but I was disgusted by this new invention. It was a pair of wings, but that wasn’t the bad part. What made them so grotesque was the fact that their design was based, quite obviously, off of my decorations. A mechanism that was very similar, if not the same, as the joints on my front legs controlled the joints of the wings. Every last one. I suppose this is what he was using me as a reference for. The wings themselves are squarish and blocky, with sharp and very heavy blades instead of feathers, much like a piece of farm equipment. Long horizontal struts holding them steady connect them.

As he attaches the wings to his body, I notice how he controls the device. Connected to something under the wings are some long, twisted wires that connect to Seething Mass’s horn stump, so I will assume that he powers the contraption with his magic. Special braces are attached to his two front legs, probably to easily control the angle and direction of his wings. He is using pieces of me, no, pieces of my punishment to awe the crowd, and I don’t like it. Too much of me, too much that could go wrong.

There is one thing that sticks out to me especially though. After a few moments of inspection, I notice that there is a very rusty, corroded spring in the joint at the base of one of the wings. I can see it quivering and shaking as though it just couldn’t hold on any more. I’m not sure how this device works, but I feel like I need to bring this up.

“Seething Mass, are you sure that every piece you used for this contraption is up to the task?”

He sighs and responds, “Yes Tor, I’m sure.” He pauses a moment before continuing. “Not that I’m cur… that I’m curious, but why do you ask?”

I see that he isn’t taking me seriously. “Well, it would SEEM that there is a very corroded spring in one of the joints in that wing. Do you, the esteemed inventor, deem that worthy of caution?” I ask. In retrospect I could have used a nicer tone of voice.

“Tor, I do-don’t mean to be rude, but you don’t know how this device works. I’ve work, been on months... I’ve been working on t-this for m-months. I know my own m-machine.” He turns his back on me. All I can do is allow the inevitable I suppose. But for some reason, I can’t help but feel that he’s right. Maybe I do jump to conclusions too easily.

In any case, Seething Mass has begun to do some articulatory testing with his wings. The children watch in awe as he gets ready to show off his handiwork. He is rotating the joints of his wings and I can see the spring stressing and getting more and more sickly with every gyration.

Then, everything freezes.

The moment when everything goes wrong just happens to be the moment when I’m at my sharpest. The spring snaps directly in half and the shattered bits shower right in my direction, some even hitting my muzzle. Seething Mass makes one final gyration with his wing, and the horizontal struts holding in the wing blades fling outwards without any warning, releasing all of the blades in my direction as the device spins out of control and breaks into pieces. As they spin through the air at an immense speed, I remember in horror that there is a crowd of ponies behind me. The first thing that comes to mind is deflection. I focus the power in my horn to appear directly at the tip of each blade and, thankfully, I am successful. As each blade touches the orbs of magical power I have created in its path, they fall to the ground and stick up straight in the dirt.

I have made a horrible oversight. I only stopped most of the blades. There is one blade, the largest of them all, still flying through the air. A group of paralyzed foals are standing directly in its path. I cannot use magic for this one; I have no magic strong enough for this one. The only thing left to do is use myself. Everything is speeding up again. There is so little time. I spring in front of the foals, covering them with my body. I close my eyes and wait for the blade to bounce off my decorations. I hear a clunk and nothing else. Not the sound I expected, but nonetheless the foals are safe. Everypony stares at me momentarily, then the parents and miss Cheerilee usher the foals away from the scene. I haven’t moved since I heard the clunk.

Only two ponies remain at the scene, Seething Mass and I. My hat is the one thing keeping him from my vision. I want to look directly into his eyes to see what he’s feeling. That is, if he can feel anymore. I lift my head slowly and jerkily, as I’m beginning to feel strangely cold and hazy. I finally lock eyes with my target, and see nothing. All that is on Seething Mass’s face is something that resembles embarrassment and frustration, but underneath it all, I see only anger. He’s been thrown to the ground by the force of the breaking spring, and now he is trying to get up while overbalanced by the weight of the other unbroken wing. I’m done looking at him. I make my way over to Seething Mass, and find myself lurching. I don’t care. I am assisting my glare now, instead of allowing my usual passive glare to remain on my face. I look directly at the gray pony on the ground in front of me.

I feel so weak that I am hardly even available to force any words out of my mouth and yet somehow I manage to shout at the top of my lungs. “Are you insane? Didn’t I tell you about the spring? Guess what broke? THE SPRING!”

He weakly replies to me, “Small ove… It small was… Small… It was merely a small oversight… I can have it fixed for the next time, I…”

I interrupt him and continue shouting, “The point here is not about the spring! It’s about the ponies you endangered today! I mean, come on! Do these wings look particularly SAFE to you? Because they look pretty sharp and pointy to me! Think logically. What do you think most ponies would do if they have some grotesque device that is held together by a single spring that they wish show off to some crowd? The answer: BE SURE THAT THE SPRING IS UP TO THE TASK. If somepony could get hurt, that’s not labeled an oversight, that’s carelessness! I mean come on; even you have to be worried that your inventions might get somepony hurt, right? RIGHT?”

Seething mass has regained his confidence once more. He fumbles with a few straps and the saddle and wings slide off. He stands and looks at the ground. I hardly even notice as the world begins to grow grey around us. I am shocked when his head shoots up and he stares straight at me.

“I can’t care Tor! I don’t, can’t, it isn’t, it doesn’t even m-matter! You stand there, everyone afraid of y-you, and then when you speak they just forget how terrified they were. They accept you, they t-take time, take the time to look at who you are and they like you all the m-more b-b-because of it.” He takes a deep breath, then slams a hoof into my chest and I fall backward to my haunches. I stare deep into his eyes as they grow, somehow more real. More clear.

“Tor is always there to save the day, Tor is the one that ponies smile at when they go to Sugarcube Corner, Tor is the one who the children love, who has a special somepony, who is noble for so many reasons! I’m not the hero, Tor. I’m the mad scientist. Victor Frankenstallion, Claude Reins, I don’t get the girl and I don’t charm the children and I don’t earn the respect of the town! I m-m-make things that can hurt ponies, fine, I accept that. I build the clocks on the walls, I don’t care if I hurt people, I am cold, I am a scientist, I d-don’t…I can’t…”

His statement takes me aback. I am sitting there wide-eyed and paralyzed like an idiot as Seething Mass grabs the pieces of his device and races away from the scene. My drowsiness returns to me now. As I attempt to pick myself up off the ground, I am unable to muster the strength to bring myself up again, and collapse onto the ground as I am halfway upright. I am confused by my sudden affliction, and then it all makes sense. The unexpected clunk, the drowsiness, the lurching, and the weakness. I have finally put them all together, and they equate to the wing blade that has sunk deep into my foreleg. I was so enraged previously that I hadn’t even noticed, but now the cold and unforgiving pain is sinking in. I am suffering from extreme blood loss. I can’t get back up, can’t even call for help. I lay my head down and accept my fate, looking in the direction that Seething Mass has gone. Barnabus’s house. It would just have to be. He didn’t even notice I was hurt, he didn’t even tell somepony. I see a tall grey pony watching Seething leave. She’s very plain, I wonder who… everything I see goes red, then black.







Seething Mass

Anger. How could he, how could he think that, why...
He betrayed me. I did nothing wrong! One mistake, a tiny mistake that's all! It ended fine, he was once more there to save the day, there to prove again that when he is around things are safe. Nothing, nothing worry, nothing to worry about when Tor can save the day after Seething Mass finishes ruining it.

The walk to Barnabus's home is uneventful, aside from some worried ponies who are all too quick to throw themselves out of my way when they see my horn stump sparking and hear the grinding of my wingblades on the ground. The door is unlocked when I get there, and to my surprise Barnabus is waiting for me.

"Seething Mass, my good sir, whatever is the matter? You seem most distressed! Is there anything I can-“ I cut him off. I just need quiet right now.

"Quiet. I need quiet right now. No, no words, no emotions, just quiet."
He makes no effort to stop me, in fact he seems infuriatingly amused about the whole thing.
"Well that is quite alright. I'll be down here if you need me."

I won't need him. I don't need anyone. 
Desdemona is standing at the top of the stairs. I think about brushing her off like I did her father, but I can't bring myself to talk to her like that. Not when she is standing there looking so concerned, she is so very small. Not when she is standing there in her lavender dress. My favorite color is lavender.

"Seething Mass..."

"Please, Desdemona."
She is silent for a moment as we look at each other. Then she turns towards her room and beckons me to follow. The dry smell of the parchment is calling me, the dusty smell of my closed drapes and the smoky scent of burning candles is all I want, to be sealed away in the dark once more. As I stand there at the top of the stairs, a melody floats out of Desdemona's room, a music box melody, and despite my desire to recede into seclusion I find myself obliged to follow the pristine notes.

When I enter the room she is sitting on the bed, somehow the notes of the music box ease my mind. So mathematically precise, each note following the other as pre-ordained by their position on the brass cylinder of the music box. The box itself is a garish thing of red satin and fine porcelain; the dancing figure atop is no doubt Desdemona herself as crafted by her father's magic. 


Desdemona speaks. "Seething Mass, I want you to tell me what happened. I want to know." Fine then. I recount to her a summary of the tale as she watches without pity or false sympathy. Her eyes are such a pristine ruby red, glassy and crystal clear, marbles in whose depths there is no pity or false sympathy. I attempt to keep my frustrations short, for her sake.

"The spring just broke. How could I have known that at that for that one time Tor would be right? Everything should have been perfect, it should have turned out perfect. They should have been amazed! Instead I made just one mistake, just a single accident! One accident, ruin, everything everrr...ever... One single accident ruined everything!"
I taper off as she leans over and rests her head on my shoulder. The song has restarted several times, but somehow it still calms me.

"Seething Mass, one accident is all it takes. One small accident and my entire life was ruined.” she breathes in deeply and I turn to look at her. Dull white meets vibrant ruby as our eyes meet. "It will be alright Seething, I truly know what it is like. Your world falls down around you in a million pieces, but if you can pick yourself back up then what you find might surprise you."

Within my mind there stirs a strange feeling of connection. Here is one who knows the pain of which I speak. She leans heavily into my shoulder, and whispers below the sparkling notes of the music that is still playing.
"If that accident hadn't, hadn't changed me, I might never have met you."


"Sir, your son has been in an accident. "
The cold voice from before responds, any emotion besides annoyance is absent. 


"Where is he, is he seriously hurt?

"He is at the Lavender Hollow Hospital, I'm afraid he will need to stay there for quite some time. He's suffered a broken leg and several broken ribs."

"Was he doing something stupid?"

"I-um, sir?"

"Never mind that. Where is this hospital?"


"My favorite color is lavender Desdemona, I thought you might want to know that."

Suddenly I stand, and Desdemona falls surprised to the bed as I leave. When I reach the door I turn back, and she is watching me. Once again I am somehow surprised at how tiny she is. So tiny and fragile.

"Seething Mass I-"

"I just need quiet. No emotions, no noise."
As I leave the room, I can here the slight hum of her magic and the metallic click as she shuts the music box. The music stops. Her door swings shut with a disgruntled creak.
To my supreme annoyance, Barnabus waits for me outside my room. “I don’t want to talk.” I say, but I can tell I can’t stop him from speaking.

“Look Seething, I know something is wrong. You don’t need to tell me what, I just wanted to make you an offer. Celestia is happy with your work, and she wants you to move to Canterlot so you can work in a real lab, with better supplies. Desdemona and I are going, regardless, but we would be very happy to have you come with us. You could get away from whomever is bothering you here.”

Lilting off to the left side, his non-dominant side. His remaining ear is laid flat, he paws with a hoof at the floorboards. I can tell by the inflection in his voice, and that last comment, that he somehow knows about Tor. I don’t even care about how he knows. Anywhere is better than here.

“I will collect my things from Sweet Apple Acres later. For now just leave me alone.”

“Absolutely, take as mu-“

I slam the door.