• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 1,432 Views, 127 Comments

Darkside Equestria: Redemption and Resurrection - DarksideEquestria



A strange tale of magic, otherworldy powers, and revenge. Join our two protagonists on their journey

  • ...
8
 127
 1,432

Introductions: Tor Ironclad


Tor Ironclad

I was born in Canterlot one summer morning to a very poor family. Being a light yellow alicorn foal with a brown mane, I thought I had a very plain coloration for an adopted child of Princess Celestia.

I should probably explain that, shouldn’t I?

I was orphaned at a very young age, roughly five, as my parents had died at the hooves of a common thief, attempting to steal their valuables in a dark alley. After this incident, Celestia, while on a morning stroll, found me in the gutter. I was unclean, starving, and I doubt that I had smelled very pleasant. She looked warmly into my eyes, and smiled in a very friendly, but still regal, manner.

“Why are you sitting out here on the side of this street? Aren’t your parents worried for you?” She asked.

“I don’t have my parents any more. Somepony made them fall asleep and they never woke up...” I said, attempting to keep my tears in my then kind, naive eyes.

“Where do you live then?”

“I don’t have a home either. The same pony stole it away from me.”

“What is your name, young foal?”

“My name’s Tor. Tor Ironclad”

“Would you like to have somewhere to live?”

I nodded, and though I was crying, I couldn’t help but blush a little bit. Princess Celestia was the prettiest pony I’d ever talked to at that point in my life. She then took me to continue with her walk. I felt as though she was trying to show me to all of the residents of Canterlot, as if she wanted them and me to know that I was to be their prince.

Celestia took it upon herself to raise me with care. Even after my parents’ death, I was a very cheerful foal. The princess tried to raise me as a prince, sending me to the academy of magic. I wasn’t very good at magic, and I suppose I’m still not too good. Most days, I was bullied by other ponies in my classes. Sometimes they’d call me names, other times they’d surround me and play a game called, “pass the dummy”(A sport where they would shove me around to another pony in the circle. Never fun for me, but always painful.) One day , I decided I’d had enough, and told them so. I was not very physical about it, but I was very assertive. Afterwards they all apologized to me, and I forgave them. Things were quite civil from then on. I stayed in school, though I only remained at an average level. In the years to come, I would begin helping the less fortunate pony families in Canterlot. I would help them with chores, babysit their young, and even run errands for them. I quite liked being a helping hand.

On more than one occasion in my teen years, I helped catch criminals who had been preying on the poor and defenseless ponies of the city. I guess my strong sense of justice just came naturally to me. At the age of eight, I finally received my cutie mark. It was in the shape of a heart. While I did receive quite a bit of ribbing from the ponies in town, you know, because a heart isn’t the most “Macho” of symbols, I was never ashamed of it. I understood that the heart was a symbol of my trust and kindness towards others

It was at the age of fifteen when a fine filly trotted into my life. Her name was Sunny Mane. She was a purple earth pony with a green mane. I remember the day we first met as tough it were yesterday. I was delivering a package for a friend of mine, a very heavy one at that, but it was no difficult task for me. I was very large for my age. This package was for Sunny herself. I knocked on her door, and as she opened her door, it seemed as if the whole world were moving in slow motion. I tried awkwardly to get the package through her door, catching it on her front step. I tripped and fell flat on her porch, with Sunny watching the whole time. I was very embarrassed, and was having a problem keeping my composure. I felt disheartened, but then she reassured me with two simple words. “You’re cute!” At that moment I felt lighter than air. From then on, whenever I would walk by her home, she would playfully tease me and of course, there was an occasional exchange of flirtatious dialogue between the two of us. We eventually decided to become a couple. A year afterwards, everything went downhill as I made the worst mistake of my life.

It was the day after my sixteenth birthday, and I was even more madly in love with Sunny than ever. I had invited her to the Grand Galloping Gala, where I was going to propose to her in the famed palace gardens. You may be thinking, “But you were so young! What were you thinking?” well, to be honest, I wasn’t. Ponies in those days got married at a much younger age than they do now. But proposing that night was not the mistake. I was wearing my best tuxedo for the occasion, as she was wearing her best dress, which, by the way, she looked absolutely radiant in. She was such a charming mare that I was willing to do absolutely anything to make her happy. There we were in the garden, I was about to get show her the ring, when suddenly I heard her voice, as sweet as a song, ask me the question that ruined me forever.

“Sweetie pie, I know that this is an odd question... But would you maybe be able to show me the famed royal jewels? I’ve just always dreamed of seeing them ever since I was a little filly. I can understand if you can’t take me to them though... They are very valuable, so not a lot of ponies would be able to get to see them.”

I swiftly replied, “Of course I can show you to them! I am like a son to the princess after all. I’m sure the guards would allow me past.” Too blinded by love to understand how suspicious the request was.

As we made our way to the entrance of the hallway leading to the jewels, two guards stopped us. “Nobody is allowed to see the jewels. Turn around and go back to the party.” One of them commanded gruffly.

“But you guys have known me since I was little! You have to let me through!” I protested.

It was then that I noticed something I now realize that I should not have waved off as readily as I did at the time. I saw a short, yet still noticeable green flash coming from Sunny’s direction. I assumed I was just seeing things at the time. Immediately afterwards, the guards had a blank look in their eyes and allowed us to pass. I know I should have found suspicion in that, but I was in love, remember? As we reached the end of the hallway, I stopped in my tracks and right as I was about to turn around to speak with Sunny, I felt a hoof hit me forcefully on the back of the head. I teetered in place for a moment and then tumbled to the ground. As the world around me began to turn dark, I heard a familiar, beautiful voice facetiously say, “Thanks, sugar cube.” That was the last thing I heard before I slipped into a cold sleep.

When I came to, I felt my hind legs dragging on the red carpet leading to the throne room. I was still dazed, and quite confused. As I looked around, I noticed several guests look at me in shock, and some even gasped at the sight of me. I looked up and finally noticed who it was that was dragging me. The two guards that I had just talked to before I got to the hallway with Sunny were dragging me to Celestia’s throne room. Then it hit me. “Where is sunny?” I asked them with great concern. I had thought that she had been kidnapped, or maybe even worse.

The guards answered me with a question, “Who are you talking about? You entered the hallway all alone, you dirty thief,” How did they not see her? She was the most radiant mare at the whole party! I allowed them to drag me further, as I still hadn’t regained my balance, and awaited my arrival in Celestia’s room. There, I thought, I could plead my case with dignity and receive a fair trial.

I finally regained my balance as we entered the room. It was just Celestia, the guards, and I. We all stood there in uncomfortable silence for several moments before the princess finally spoke. Her eyes were Angry, yet very sad at the same time as she asked me a rather confusing question. “I raised you as my son, gave you everything, including my undying love for you. Why would you do these terrible things?”

The question felt like it stabbed me in the heart, as I replied frantically, “Terrible things? What terrible things are you talking about?”

“You have been charged with the murder of five innocent ponies, the torture of eight foals, and the theft of several thousand bits! You were about to strike again by stealing the Elements of Harmony, when my guards caught and subdued you! What do you have to say for yourself?”

“Well, I guess the first thing I want to say is that I didn’t do it, but seeing as you seem to think you’ve already got this figured out, I suppose that would be of no use, now would it?” I said, trying to stay strong, but accidentally being defiant, in the presence of the mother who I truly loved. Torrents of tears were running down both of our cheeks.

“I usually don’t do this, but as our evidence is so conclusive, I have no choice but to sentence you to life in the dungeon!”

My eyes opened wide as I tried to accept my fate, but then the unexpected happened. The princess floated down from her throne and walked over to me, with an air of utter gentility, and wrapped her wing around me, comfortingly. She looked deeply into my eyes and said, “My beloved Tor. I have known you since you were but a child. Because of this, I will take pity on you. If you say it wasn’t you, then I must believe you. But the evidence is so incriminating, that you still will be held accountable.” She looked up, and stepped back from me, and with a calm, yet commanding voice proclaimed, “Therefore, as punishment you will be banished from Canterlot until you can prove to me that you are not the one responsible for these heinous crimes.” And with that, She and the guards led me to the entrance to a long, dark hallway. We were completely silent until I reached our destination. I looked on in horror for I knew what was next. I was to be “Decorated”.

This may not sound like something that could strike fear into the heart of a fully-grown Stallion, but believe me when I say that it is terrible. Celestia only banishes people for doing something really, really horrible, but not quite bad enough that they would go to jail. But because she wants to make sure we never forget what we’ve done, she has us “Decorated”. These “decorations,” are made up of steel horse shoes that are nailed into our hooves and have braces that are screwed in all the way up our forelegs, steel wing braces that are screwed into the front of our wings, spines, secured to the feathers in the back of our wings, a steel cone-like covering to be screwed into our horns, and the most terrifying bit: a steel muzzle that covers our mouths. All of these are crafted artfully, out of the finest metal you could get, and to look as palatial as possible. Now, most ponies would get just the horseshoes, the muzzle, and either the wings or horn braces, but because I have both wings and a horn, I got the privilege of feeling the excruciating pain of having the full package fastened, nailed, screwed, hammered, and tightened into my bones, shrieking and screaming the whole time. I remember the “Decoration” process perfectly. No matter how much I begged for a reprieve from the pain, they wouldn’t stop, having bits of metal twisted into your bones while you are fully awake is not at all, as you can imagine, a pleasant experience. The only rest I got was after they finished. The pain had effectively knocked me out. They allowed me to sleep on the stone tabled I had been shackled to for two hours after the procedure. Then, the guards woke me up and carried me to see princess Celestia for the last time before they sent me off.

She looked at me in pity, with small traces of tears in her eyes. “I never wished to see this happen to you. I really didn’t. I promise, that when you come back, I will fully heal you and painlessly remove the steel that has become a part of your body. I promise.”

Her offer made me feel slightly better, though I knew that time would be very, very far off. My body was very sore and tender from the long and painful “Decoration” process, and after Celestia and I spoke, I got on my hooves for the first time in hours. The pain of my first few steps was excruciatingly painful, as my hooves were still not used to their new additions. I got used to them shortly, though they were still quite tender for a long time, and walked down the trail from Canterlot to the Everfree Forest, dejected and woeful.

No sooner had I come to the edge of the forest did I meet a very familiar mare. I smiled a weak, pained (partially because of sadness, but partially because of the muzzle) smile at my beloved Sunny, knowing it would be the last time I would see her. Suddenly, right before my eyes, the Sunny that I fell in love with changed dramatically into a creature I knew all too well from Celestia’s stories, Queen Chrysalis. I stared at her in fear, not knowing what to do, when she came closed to me, tauntingly smiling the entire way. She began to speak, with an air of arrogance and joy in her voice,

“You were very useful to my plans, dearest Tor!” She laughed. I attempted to ask her what she meant, but I still wasn’t used to my new muzzle, the pain causing me to stop halfway between my first syllable. Knowing what I was after, she swiftly answered,

“Why dear, you got me to the room where the Elements of Harmony are being kept! Your love for me gave me the power to do incredible things! There never really was a “Sunny” after all. It was I the whole time! But anyways, once we got to the Elements, I framed you for their theft! Oh yeah, and I also committed a few other crimes which I figured you wouldn’t mind if I shifted the blame onto you for, after all, I am your beloved, right?” She laughed maniacally again, and at that point, I was so enraged that I was preparing to charge at her. She noticed this and retorted, tauntingly, “I suppose I can understand why you wouldn’t want to talk right now... It just breaks my little heart though! Bye, my sweetie pie!” and with that, she disappeared without a trace.

Alone with my thoughts once again, I walked further into the forest. That was when it happened. The forest began playing its tricks on me. I received twisted visions of my friends and family, laughing at me, scolding me, yelling at me, telling me lies. I received visions of Princess Celestia replacing me and forgetting her promise. There were some visions where she pointed fun at me, saying things like, “You thought I actually meant to keep that promise? You’re dumber than you look!” and laughing at me afterwards. Then there were the images of Sunny and the Changeling Queen. All of these visions had literally driven me, as the doctors would say, insane. The visions in the forest caused me to lose trust in everyone and everything. Once the forest was done toying with me it left me with one lasting gift: My eyes were frozen in a contemptuous glare. No matter how much I tried changing my expression with my face muscles, they wouldn’t budge. After hours of the forest’s taunting, I just lay down right there, and cried, as I continued to lose every remaining bit of sanity I had. This may be hard to picture, but in fact, I was driven so incredibly insane that I became incredibly sane once again! After this, I came up with a clear goal: I needed to train myself in the forest. I stayed in the forest for at least a month, in total silence, as I practiced my combat skills, my magic, and once I could fly again, my flying maneuvers. I hardened in the forest, and became one of the toughest young Stallions I had ever known.

I decided it would be best to leave the forest once I noticed that the rocks were looking at me funny, and that I needed contact with real ponies. As I walked to the exit of the forest that was closest to the town of Ponyville, I noticed a large rain water puddle in my path. I decided to take a look at myself, as I hadn’t done so since before I entered the forest. I noticed some distinct changes in my physical features. Firstly, I was a bit more muscular than the scrawny pony I used to be, secondly, I had several scars on my face and body that weren’t there before, likely from my training. But the most shocking change of all was on my flank. My cutie mark, the heart that once stood so proud, was no longer there. In its stead was what looked like a heart, but ripped right down the middle.

At seeing this dramatic change, I exclaimed quietly, “What the...?” and realized that my voice had become much more rough than it used to be, probably due to its disuse in the forest. The only thing that hadn’t changed was that I still had that permanent glare I tried so hard to get rid of. I chuckled at the new me, and walked into Ponyville. My visage must have attracted a large amount of attention, because before long a lot of pones were gathered around me trying to figure out who I was. Some of them had even figured out that I was on exile, because of my beautiful “Decorations” and backed away slowly. I flew out of the group as quickly as I could, and realized that I needed to keep my identity a secret. With that, I went to buy myself a hat with the few bits I had on me. I bought a nice, black, wide brimmed hat to cover up my horn. At least that way they wouldn’t know I was an alicorn. After a few hours of aimlessly walking around Ponyville, I decided to find a line of work to go into. I remembered how good I was at catching criminals as a young lad, so I decided to become a bounty hunter for hire.

I've been here in this colorful town for a week, and I’ve already caught three criminals. The people here seem to be warming up to me too, and some of the foals have made a game of seeing who can get closest to me without running away, scared. That’s why I love kids. They can always see through outward appearances. There is one thing that’s been bothering me though. I saw this creepy grayish pony, mumbling to himself as he walked into what looked like a library. Something about him was very... Off-putting, to say the least. He must have noticed me staring at him, because he lifted his head and stared right back into my eyes. We stood there for what felt like a few minutes just staring at each other. He finally looked away in disinterest and went inside. Something about that pony didn’t seem natural. He didn’t have any cutie mark, which is a bit odd for a pony of the age he appeared to be. And then there was his horn... Broken in half! I know how much it hurts for your horn to be broken, but he was walking around like it was nothing! I think I’m going to keep an eye on him... He looked pretty suspicious. If he is a criminal, I think I’ll have my work in this town cut out for me.