• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 1,424 Views, 29 Comments

From Earth to Equus: An Utterly Impossible Oddesy - CarmenColor



The magic of friendship is a powerful thing. Don't ever forget that.

  • ...
9
 29
 1,424

The Elements

I never was the most patient person, or pony, in the world. The whole carriage ride I looked over the edge, anxious to see Ponyville come into view. It was cloudy. Very cloudy. Deep black cumulonimbus clouds loomed around us, bright white lightning streaking from their dark forms. Rain soaked us. As the little town finally came into view among the dark veil of the storm, I jumped off the carriage, gliding down in front of the Pegasus Guards pulling it.

"Carmen! What are you doing?" Chance yelled, jumping as well to follow me. Celestia stared at us a moment before saying something to the guards and following our lead. All three of us headed for the library, hoping that its librarian was home.

I reached the tree-building first, folding my wings and opening the door. I didn't think to knock. It was a public building, after all. As we entered the library, all three of us soaked to the bone, a timid voice asked, "W-who's there?" Twilight peered around the corner and, noticing who it was, instantly ran for Celestia. "Princess Celestia! What are you doing here?" Another flash of lightning streaked the sky, and a roll of thunder followed it.

"Twilight, we need you to gather the Element Bearers." Celestia's voice was always so regal... Was I going to sound like that someday? Twilight admired her so...

"What? Why?" Twilight asked, confused. I stepped forward to answer her, my voice sounding...childish, but hopefully still convincing. I knew what was going on now. What she wanted. I only hoped Celestia, Luna, and Chance had all realized the same thing.

"Because Stormy Sam has been tempted by the Nightmare. Her soul has been corrupted into what she is now. Nightmare Storm. Storm cells have popped up over Canterlot and Ponyville, and I'm willing to guess that they are appearing all over the rest of Equestria as well. Twilight Sparkle, we need the Elements of Harmony." Twilight looked at me, surprised, for a second. "Like, right now, Twilight." The purple unicorn nodded in understanding and raced out into the storm, magicking a raincoat onto her back.

Chance put a hoof on my shoulder. "We should help her." I nodded, throwing a spare raincoat over Chance's back and one over myself, not that we could get much wetter. Celestia stayed where she was. Even though she was the alicorn that had stayed in Equestria after Nightmare Moon came, she didn't know Ponyville like we did. We had watched a show about this town for years.

"I'll go to Sweet Apple Acres and to Rainbow's house. You head to Fluttershy's. Pinkie and Rarity are close. Twilight will already have gotten them by the time we're done." He looked reluctant, but nodded anyway. We left the library, galloping through the rain washed streets. Spreading my wings, I took to the air, aiming for the white cloud house where Rainbow Dash lived. The pegasus was looking out the window, her face showing her displeasure.

"Rainbow!" I called through the wind. I landed on the front door and pulled myself inside. The rainbow-maned mare approached me.

"What's with the crazy weather? Did Cloud Chaser do this? That featherbrain!" Rainbow stomped a few times against the floor of the cloud house.

"No, Rainbow. It wasn't Cloud Chaser. I need you to go to the library. Celestia is waiting for you there."

"The Princess? What's she doing here?"

"We don't have time for explanations, Rainbow Dash. Just go. The others will join you soon." I flew out of Rainbow's house, and she followed. I veered off to go to Sweet Apple Acres, and Rainbow barreled towards the library. I heard a crash and rolled my eyes. Typical Rainbow Dash.

I came to Applejack's home, landing next to the barn. The earth pony's family was running around the house, probably making sure everything is closed or something, and I could see them silhouetted in the illuminated windows. I raised a hoof to knock on the door when somepony threw it open and pulled me inside.

"Land Sakes, Ms. Color! What'cha doing outside on a day like this?" Applejack looked at me expectantly.

"I need you to come to the library with me."

"What?"

"I said, I need you to come to the library with me. It's very important. I'll explain when we get there." She must have noticed the urgency in my voice, because she nodded. We both galloped through the rain. I would have flown, but I didn't want Applejack out in the rain by herself. No pony should be out here by themselves at a time like this, really.

As we approached the library, I noticed the faces looking out the windows. Twilight's, Fluttershy's, Rainbow Dash's, Pinkie Pie's, Rarity's, and my 'brother' and 'sister's'. Lightning flashed behind us, and I jumped in surprise. Jeeze, you little filly! Get ahold of yourself. Your immortal! It's not like it could kill you anyway.

We hurtled through the front door, somepony slamming it behind us. I sighed, looking around the room. One, two, three, four, five, six. Six ponies with such a concrete friendship that nothing could break them apart. Nothing. I envied their care for each other, wishing that I had friends like that.

Celestia gathered us all together and, in a ceremonious fashion that seemed quite unnecessary, bestowed the Elements to their Bearers. I watched with agonizing anxiety as the storm around Ponyville grew darker and darker. Even as I looked into the confident faces of the Element bearing ponies, I couldn't find a ray of Sunshine in this chaotic hurricane of despair.

I felt the despair and hopelessness fill my heart, and I relented to the slight depression I was hit with. Every pony else was too caught up in how to safely get the Element ponies to the old castle where they had already faught the Nightmare once. My wings, though I didn't notice at the time, grew less vibrant in their color, and the blue of my normal coat overtook the purple colors in both wings.

When I realized that the others had decided on a plan, I plastered a fake smile on my face and gritted my teeth. Looking back on my actions back then, I really wish I had told somepony...anypony about how I was feeling. It is foalish to keep emotions like that bottled up inside, especially for an alicorn, but of course, I didn't see it that way at the time.

All I knew of my predicament was that I had grown up on a farm, and we don't let things like that make us upset. Of course, those emotions do most of the time eventually boil over, but still... Alicorns can be rather...tantrum prone...when something like that happens. Despite knowing this fact from my past, I suffered my despair in complete and utter silence.

I was such a foal back then.

Author's Note:

Another chapter! Oohhh, where is this going...? I actually have no clue right now, but I'm tired and lazy at updating this stuff, so your guess is as good as mine at the moment.

Weeelllll, I do have to ask. Any suggestions on making my writing better?