• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 15,317 Views, 902 Comments

The Love of a Dragon - Racko



Spike disappears after being heartbroken, but what does he leave behind?

  • ...
55
 902
 15,317

A Strange Dream

Her prize lay in front of her, just hooves away on a pedestal, a pair of large eggs. One was beautiful, dark blue with light blue spots covering it, and the other was a nice, light shade of purple with darker spots on its surface. Her mom had told her not to mess with them, saying they were treasured gifts from dragons. Something about being the last of a certain kind of dragon, or some nonsense.

She didn't care at the time, she just thought they looked so cool and mysterious, and was amazed that they didn't respond to magic. None of the other ponies could move them with their magic, saying it just felt like a void, that they were trying to grab nothing at all.

Celestia hadn't even tried. Considering she had only recently gotten her cutie mark, but was still having difficulties moving the sun, she believed it would be pointless to try what many greater alicorns could not.

No, instead, she just wanted to play with one of the eggs, study it. Of course she had done this many times, being intrigued with them as she was. With practiced swiftness, she quietly grabbed one of the eggs in her forehooves and brought it down into the sack in front of her before grabbing it in her mouth and running to the corner of the room, behind boxes and barrels. Just because she would eventually leave to watch over a land called Equestria, it didn't mean her mother wouldn't ground her. Again.

She carefully set the sack containing the egg on a small crate, pulling the sack down and revealing the egg. Smiling upon seeing the blue egg, Celestia carefully rolled it out of the sack. She had spent countless hours with both eggs, but she felt more... Attached, somehow, to the blue egg.

She sat there for hours just looking at the egg in wonder, making patterns in her head with the spots, and occasionally nudging the egg, either with a forehoof or her muzzle. She was in the process of rolling the egg over, when a tug on her horn alerted her to the sun being brought down, already.

'It can't be that late, already,' she wondered to herself, before feeling another, stronger pull, causing her to jump, knocking the egg off the crate.

Celestia gasped, as time seemed to go by in slow motion, watching the egg come closer to the ground. She closed her eyes, instinctively trying to stop the egg, even though she knew it would be pointless.

She waited to hear the unmistakable sound of an egg breaking, or even cracking, and peeked out at where the egg should have landed. There sat the blue egg, hovering just above the ground surrounded by a yellow magical glow.

Celestia was shocked and dropped the egg with a small *thud* noticing as well that it seemed to get quieter. She crept up to the egg and sat in front of it, feeling another pull on her horn, most likely trying to find her again. Anxiously, she cast her magic around the egg, trying to feel it.

Instantly, she heard noises. Almost like whispers inside her head. She gasped, feeling like it was trying to reach out to her. She increased her magic, and the volume of the whispers increased as well. She rested her horn against the egg and was almost instantly assaulted with voices, all seeming to echo indefinitely.

She felt another pull on her magic, causing it to surge. She could feel another presence, and it felt like it was talking to her. Almost inaudibly, she heard the cracking of an eggshell, but was unable to open her eyes.

In moments, it was over, and Celestia felt utterly drained as she opened up her eyes and looked at where the egg had been. Her jaw dropped in wonder at seeing a dark blue hatchling dragon staring at her with baby blue eyes. She crawled towards the dragon as it mumbled nonsense, stopping mere inches away from it.

The dragon stared at her, sniffing the air before yawning. It tried taking a step towards the shocked filly, but tripped over the remainder of the egg and fell onto Celestia.

Celestia started to jump out from under the little dragon when she heard the faint sounds of snoring, and looked at the hatchling nuzzled into her, sound asleep. Celestia soon yawned as well, before draping a wing over the baby dragon and closing her eyes to join her new friend in slumber.

The last sensation she felt before passing into sleep was the slight feeling of her pink mane being chewed on and tiny claws wrapping around her slightly.


Spike yawned and stretched a little before opening his eyes and seeing Twilight still sound asleep. He glanced at the clock and decided they had a few more hours before needing to get up, and repositioned himself against his sister before returning to dreamland, wondering what other absurd dreams would come tonight.