• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 2,428 Views, 16 Comments

Fourty-two - Dusky Flower



There are 42 billion universes. 41,999,999,958 of them contain no Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
6
 16
 2,428

Dusk Shine and Shock

Shock giggled. A pink party pony had fallen through the fifth wall and stolen his cake. Normally, this wouldn't be something to giggle about, but she had had the exact same cake as him! And then she had jumped through another fifth wall!

Shock giggled.


And to top it all off, his best friend Dusk Shine had fallen through as well!

...Wait a minute. Since when is Dusk Shine a mare?

The blond pegasus fluttered his wings. He knew that if anypony could figure out a reverse-gender twin problem, it would be Dusk.

-----

Aurggghh...

I let out a minute groan as a pair of white hooves reached out and grabbed me. Who is this pegasus? Why was he in Sugarcube Corner?


...Why did he seem to be completely focused on making me really, really nauseous?

-----

Shock let out a yelp and tilted the strange mare to the side right before she vomited.

He giggled, glad that his Shock Sense had warned him that somepony was going to throw up. He sighed, and flew right-side up. Being vomited on was not fun. Or funny. Well, except that one time with the water balloons, but that aftermath...

-----

Dusk Shine had had a very strange dream. Then he had woken up and found that he had overslept. And that Spines had devoured half a carton of ice cream while he was asleep, and had then managed to spill some on a book.

To say that Dusk Shine was angry was not enough. He was vexed.

"SPINES! GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!

"Oops. Is this a bad time?"

Dusk Shine whirled around to see that his friend, Shock, had arrived with a mare. A mare that happened to look like him. Very, very much like him.

*shrrp*

"I AM NIGHTMARE VELVET, RULER OF ALL THE COSMOS-"

Reality snapped back, and out of the corner of his eye, Dusk saw a young dragoness trying to sneak out a window.

"Don't think I've forgotten about this, Spines."

Dusk Shine turned his head back to look at the mare again.

She looked, aside from being a mare, like an exact duplicate of him, right down to the cutie mark. Well, except for the fact that she was a good deal muddier.

One of her eyelids fluttered.


"Uuuuuugh..."


Dusk Shine glared at her. The only logical explanation for this, this copy, was that... she was a changeling. And he would not allow her to feed off of the love of him or his friends.

Still, a logical stallion should test.

"Quick. The title of page 345 of Starswirl the Belled's Theory of Innate Power!"

"...huh...?"

The lavender mare fought through the fog covering her mind.

"...the...theory of... earth pony magic...?"

Dusk Shine lifted one eyebrow. "Correct. But... Starswirl's Theorum of Alternate Worlds?"

"...You think...?"

"Well, I don't think any changeling would spend days searching through obscure tomes to find the theory of Earth Pony magic. By the way, my name is Dusk Shine."

"...I'm Twilight Sparkle. And I thought I was the only one who did that."

"Well, if you are me from an... alternate... world... you are."

"True, but... something still isn't right..."

"Something off? Or... more that off?"

"I'll tell you... later. I think there's someplace we need to go..."

-----

"Contact is established, my master."


"Excellent..."