• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 1,275 Views, 58 Comments

A Series of Unexpected Events - LeoValkenhein



Rain Flare of the Royal Guard is summoned to Canterlot by Princess Luna for a special assignment.

  • ...
11
 58
 1,275

Chapter 2: Unexpected Attractions

Chapter 2: Unexpected Attractions

Upon leaving the castle, Rain Flare heads towards the Canterlot book store to meet up with Twilight. He ponders as he walks the streets, crowded with regal ponies of all races.

Why me? What makes me so special? I'm just a simple guard... What does Luna see in me that makes me suitable to find - or even be - her sister's top student's lover?

Rain Flare is deep in thought as he bumps right into Twilight Sparkle, who is leaving the book store with several full bags hovering around her. The sudden collision causes her to lose concentration and the bags fall to the ground, some spilling their contents.

"Oh my! I'm such a klutz! I couldn't see you through all thes- Oh, Rain Flare! It's you," the jumbled mare regains some composure realizing it was a friend rather than a stranger she had run into.

"It's quite alright my lady. To be honest, I wasn't exactly paying attention either. Please allow me to help," he begins picking up books and putting them back in their bags.

While picking up their mess, Rain Flare's rough hoof grazes against Twilight's smooth one as they reach for the same book. The purple unicorn pulls away with a slight blush and the cloud grey pegasus sits blinking for a moment before lifting the book and dropping it into a bag.

"Th-thank you..." Twilight stutters, still a bit red in the cheeks.

Rain Flare looks into her deep, gorgeous eyes.

"Anything for you, my lady..."

Her blush deepens and she turns away.

"W-we should get going..." Twilight picks up her bags with her magic and starts towards the plaza where their coach is waiting.

Rain Flare follows behind the stunning mare and does his best to avert his gaze from her flanks. Not having much success, the stallion trots up beside her and offers to take some of the bags.

"That's very sweet of you, but I can manage. Thank you for offering though," the powerful unicorn smiles warmly at him.

Rain Flare drops back to hide his blush and is once again lost in thought.

She called me sweet... I'm such a sap... It probably doesn't mean anything... But that smile, I'd do anything to make her smile like that all the timeā€¦

In the midst of his fantasies, the love struck stallion slams his snout into the door of the carriage. Backing up and rubbing his sore muzzle, an adorable giggle sounds from beside him.

"Hee hee hee. You're a bit out of it, aren't you? Let me get that for you," the door gains a purplish aura and swings open gingerly.

Rain Flare steps in, his cheeks flushed bright red. Twilight sits across from him, smiling that smile all the way back to Ponyville.

It's settled then. I love her. I'll do anything in my power to make her feel for me the same way I feel for her.

********

Upon returning to Ponyville, Rain Flare is dragged off by Rainbow Dash after landing with Twilight Sparkle in front of the library. He says a hasty good bye and is now flying with the cocky pegasus.

"So what happened to you after flight school?" she asks, flying upside down underneath him, her forelegs crossed behind her head.

"I took my graduation papers and went straight to the recruitment office. I took the competency test and physical exam. Passed in the high average. For six months afterwards I trained and studied. I was immediately transferred to a cadet academy and went through training there for eight months. I wasn't the most physically capable, but I had intelligence, so they put me and three others from my troop through guard training. I failed the exam. For six months afterwards I trained and studied harder than most others in my group. They gave me another chance and I passed exceptionally. I was then transferred to Princess Luna's Royal Guard for a half year, surprised we never saw each other. After the attack by the changelings, I was moved to sentry duty to watch the changeling border.

"What about you Rainbow? Surely you've joined the Wonder Bolts by now, or did you quit because you were too good for them?" he makes this last remark with a coy smile, but it soon fades when he notices the rainbow-maned mare's downtrodden look.

"I've done a whole lot of nothing... My biggest accomplishment is being head of the Weather Teams for Cloudsdale and Ponyville... The Wonder Bolts haven't even asked to interview me or see some of my tricks..." the usually boastful mare sulks as she flies, her body hanging limp from her beating wings.

"I'm sorry Dash... If we'd been in touch more I probably could have arranged something..."

She suddenly reels on him, hovering right in his face, spraying him with spittle as she shouts angrily.

"I don't need your sympathy! I can do just fine on my own! Keep your stupid favors to yourself! I don't need you pulling strings for me to get what I want!" she whirls, whipping him in the face with her tail, and jets off.

Rain Flare blinks a few times, stunned.

"Well damn... What the hay am I supposed to do about that?" the stallion ponders if he should go after her, but decides against it, "She just needs time to cool down," he turns and flies back to the library.

"Oh, you're back early," Twilight remarks as her new guest enters the common room.

"Yeah... Dash, uh, had to go..."

"Oh, hmhm, typical Rainbow. Asking someone to hang out and then ditching them for something she forgot about. Well, if you're free now, do you want to help me put these new books in their proper places? Normally I would ask Spike, but he's at the spa with Rarity."

"Yeah, sure, I- Wait what? He's at the spa?"

"Mhm, with Rarity."

"Uhh... Okay then... Where do we start?"

Twilight begins floating books around and reading their spines.

"Let's see... A's are here, P's there, S's down here..."

What have I gotten myself into? Rain Flare wonders before picking up a book and flying it to a nearby shelf.

********

After several hours of arranging and rearranging the library's shelves, Twilight finally sits back at her desk, satisfied and smiling that glorious smile. Rain Flare is splayed on his back, hanging off a sofa to the right of the desk.

"That was worse than cadet training..." the tired leather-winged pegasus huffs.

"Hee hee," The purple unicorn giggles putting a hoof to her mouth, "Oh come on, that was nothing."

"I think I deserve a reward..."

"Hmhmhm. Alright you weakling, what do you want?" she asks in a playful manner.

"How about a kiss?" he asks, equally as playful. When no response comes, he looks over to see that the mare's cheeks are now quite a few shades deeper, "Sorry, I was just kid- Mmp!" a sudden flash of light is followed by the feeling of soft lips being pressed to his.

She lingers, forceful at first, like she wants to get it over with, but she soon relaxes into the kiss, closing her eyes and continuing more passionately. After recovering from his shock, Rain Flare relaxes as well, letting out a soft moan he hadn't realized he'd been holding. The pegasus wraps his forelegs around the unicorns neck and gently pulls her closer. When she breaks the kiss after several long moments, they both pant slightly.

Rain Flare speaks first.

"Well, that was a nice surprise," he smiles a wide, genuine smile at the flushing mare.

"You asked for it..." she replies quietly, "But I must admit, I found the experience quite enjoyable myself."