• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,929 Views, 82 Comments

My Little Teelo: Winter's Silence - Ardwolf



Teelo thought Nightmare Discord was the worst thing that could ever hit Equestria. She was wrong...

  • ...
4
 82
 1,929

Step By Step

In which a princess expresses her displeasure, a villain watches, a dragon searches, and Pinkie Pie frightens a soldier.


Celestia was not happy.

She’d been chipping away at the fountain for hours and had barely made a dent. The metaphorical ice seemed to fight back, refreezing almost as fast as she could chip it away. Worse, it felt as though the ice had crept down the source of her magic, as though the pipe that fed the fountain was freezing.

She was hungry and tired and dispirited and if she didn’t think of something soon she would never leave this icy tomb.

“Die whenever it suits you.” Celestia snarled to herself. “Well, Tišina it doesn’t suit me!”

She considered the pitiful pool of magic that was all that remained of her reservoir. There was barely enough to light her horn, much less teleport out of here—even if she knew where here was. A blind teleport would almost certainly be fatal—both to her and to everything a hundred miles around her if she materialized inside a solid object.

She couldn’t feel her link to the sun, either, and that frightened her since the link had been part of her for over a thousand years. She had forgotten what it was like not to have it. It was almost as if her horn had been torn out by the roots.

I can’t blast the ice, and I can’t chip it away, it grows back too fast. She thought, considering the problem. Then she paused.

It grows back! She thought excitedly. It’s not ice, it’s not poison, its alive like a plant or fungus. And that means...yes!

Taking a deep breath she mentally prepared herself for the most difficult magical feat of her millennium-long life.

All right Celestia, time to see just how good a magician you really are. Any unicorn could free themselves with enough raw power. Let’s see if you can do it with less magic than an earth pony is born with.

She went into a trance, slowing her heart, slowing her breathing, reaching deep for every precious drop of magic. Then she cast a miniscule spell that still cut dangerously into her meager reserve.

Her focus sharpened, her world expanded, magnifying her vision hundreds of times, until one tiny speck of ice loomed over her like a mountain. She peered intently into the depths of the ice mountain.

There you are. She felt a savage glee fill her as she found what she’d known had to be there. She studied Tišina’s true power—and her greatest weakness.

She spent a moment lost in admiration for the perfection she’d found, beautiful crystal circularity linked like a mesh, one circle linked to multiple others. This was why the ice wouldn’t melt. This was why her magic was freezing. Here were the chains binding Celestia’s power.

Reaching in delicately with her magic she twisted, and watched one circle shatter, releasing the trapped magic in a nano-flare of power.

That will work. She thought, refining her technique. She made a single delicate cut, using less than a third the power shattering the circle had taken. This time the circle didn’t shatter, but instead sent out a blazing line of power that cut through three other rings, which then sent out their own cutting magic. The mesh of linked circles rapidly disintegrated.

Before she could blink the mountainous ice speck vanished. She hastily captured the resulting micro surge of power. It was enough to recoup the cost of her focus spell.

Confident now she started melting the ice that blocked the fountain’s flow.

ooOoo

“Hey, Pinkie Pie! Have you seen Twilight?” Spike asked the hyperactive pony as she trotted by. “She wasn’t home when I got up this morning.”

“Gosh, Spike, I haven’t! Did you look under the doormat?” Pinkie replied with a smile.

“Uh, no. Why would I—” Spike started to say.

“Sorry, Spike! Gotta trot! My twitches are telling me company’s coming!” And Pinkie streaked away.

Spike blinked a couple of times, and then sighed. He’d been looking for the purple unicorn all day. Nobody had seen her. He was starting to get worried. It wasn’t like her to disappear without leaving him a note. In fact he couldn’t remember her ever not leaving a note.

A glitter high in the twilight air caught his eye. Squinting, he saw what looked like half a dozen pegasi-drawn chariots coming toward town from the direction of the Everfree Forest. They were still too far away to make out any details, but he’d seen enough chariots to recognize the V-shaped pattern. He wouldn’t have been able to see them at all, except they were flying high enough to catch the last rays of the sun that had set a half hour ago in Ponyville.

They were several minutes from landing. He wondered if it had anything to do with Twilight’s disappearance.

“Company, huh?” He murmured, watching the chariot flight.

ooOoo

Tišina wasn’t paying attention to the alicorn she’d left to die. She was much more interested in the new pair that had managed to raise the sun somehow. These new sinners against nature were much less powerful than the first had been, so she thought it would not be difficult to deal with them. She spent the entire day studying the pair, watching as alert unicorn guards prowled the chamber the two slept in, preventing an opportunity to create a portal and sting them.

It appeared the creatures had somehow discovered the weakness of her portal and were now on guard. At least the unicorns were.

No matter. Sooner or later they would make a mistake and that would be the end of them. Tišina could wait. She had all eternity, after all…

Idly she turned her attention to some of the other places the sinners congregated. If she remembered correctly these sinners were very concerned for their fellow creatures, especially their young…

She considered the other two breeds of sinner. The pegasi were too flighty, she didn’t care to invest the effort a portal entailed, only to have her target get up and fly around for no discernible reason. That left the earth ponies, surely the most vulnerable. She started watching, seeing which targets would be easiest to strike and cause the most turmoil amongst the sinners. A newborn, perhaps. Or one of the females. She vaguely remembered females were always the weaker gender among the mammals. She’d never bothered to pay much attention to them, they had always been an insignificant threat compared to her beloved enemy.

Tišina kept watch and awaited her opportunity. It would come.

It always did.

ooOoo

Teagan and Evelyn shared one chariot, while Matt and his heavy load had a chariot to themselves. Sun Hammer had his own special chariot pulled by four pegasi, since he weighed as much as three ordinary ponies.

They were headed to Ponyville where they planned to pick up the rest of the Mane 6 before flying on to Canterlot. Teagan had discovered having the resources of an entire government at your disposal vaguely disturbing. For Matt, having been in the Special Forces, it was a simply a matter of course.

She kept thinking of the old adage. To whom much is given much is expected. Subtle Dancer, the Chief of the Horns had looked at Evelyn like she was the answer to his prayers. Worse, he seemed to assume Teagan would be leading the rescue effort!

That was Twilight Sparkle’s job, surely? She was the planner!

“I hate flying.” Evelyn commented, gripping a hoof ring like grim death. “And I’m beginning to think Subtle Dancer is expecting me to just pull Celestia out of my pocket.”

“Better get in the habit of calling her Princess Celestia. They’re pretty sensitive about that.” Teagan warned her.

“Good to know.” Evelyn said, trying not to look outside the chariot. “How much further is it?”

Teagan risked a glance over the cab’s rim.

“Another couple of minutes.” She told the nervous woman. Truth to tell Teagan wasn’t that comfortable with the open cars either. She kept a firm grip on her own ring, just in case.

“I mean I know the ponies are all nicey-nice but surely they’ve got some experience with violent crime?” Evelyn asked.

“You’re talking about a race of ponies.” Teagan pointed out. “Horses get along better in groups than people do. For one thing they aren’t meat eaters like us. And not nearly as aggressive.”

“Ha! Sun Hammer is pretty damn aggressive if you ask me.” The PI objected.

“Sun Hammer isn’t—normal.” Teagan admitted reluctantly. “I don’t think any of the other ponies are that violent, not even the Royal Guard. But you have to remember he’s been isolated from pony society since he killed the Troll King. They shun him. It’s been years since anyone but the princesses associated with him.”

“I can see why.” The woman answered drily. “He’s not exactly suave, is he?”

“No. But he’s my friend, Evelyn. And a good pony to have in a tight spot.”

“Now that I believe.” The PI nodded. “Hey, are we going down?” Teagan risked another quick peek over the rim.

“Yep, welcome to Ponyville.” Teagan announced. In under a minute the wheels were rumbling through the grass and the vehicle was slowing.

The two gratefully scrambled out of the small chariot, glad to stretch their legs on terra firma. Matt hopped out of his chariot cheerfully.

“That was fun!” He said, grinning. “Never thought I’d ever get to ride in a pegasi-drawn chariot! Worth the whole trip!”

“Yes, well I’d rather keep my feet on the ground, thank you very much.” Evelyn said with a grimace. “Fast and convenient they may be, but murder on my nerves.”

“Afraid of heights?” Matt asked, still radiating good cheer.

“Heights don’t bother me.” Evelyn said with a straight face. “It’s the sudden stop at the bottom I have problems with.”

“Ah. So now what?” He turned to Sun Hammer.

“A dinnae ken. Teelo, what’s yer plan?”

“Huh? I’m not in charge! Subtle Dancer is.”

“Actually, Lady Teagan, Princes Luna specifically directed me to follow your orders until we return to the castle.” Subtle Dancer said. “But if you want my advice I’d say send some of the pegasi to find Twilight’s friends so we can be on our way.”

“Sounds good to me.” Teagan nodded. “Can you get them to do that, Subtle Dancer? I’d feel kind of weird ordering them around.”

The unicorn nodded and started giving orders. From the snap of his voice and the way the pegasi scattered it was clear Subtle Dancer was used to command.

Pinkie Pie was the first to arrive, stopping in front of Evelyn and standing very still as she stared with wide eyes.

“Hello Pinkie.” The PI said, grinning widely. Pinkie Pie gasped and nearly teleported in her rush to stand in front of Matt.

“Oh, my gosh! Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!” She squeed. “Not one new pony in town, two new ponies! Well, not ponies but you know what I mean. Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie. You two look a lot like my friend Teelo, are you from the same place she is?”

“Over here, Pinkie.” Teagan said, laughing. She couldn’t believe how good it felt to see the hyperactive sugar-addict.

TEELO!” Pinkie tore over to her and threw her forelegs over Teagan’s shoulders, nearly knocking the girl down. “This calls for a Welcome Home party, and a Welcome To Ponyville party all rolled into one! I’m so happy to see you! I was so sad when you left I didn’t eat any cupcakes for a whole hour.”

“Wow. A whole hour, huh?” Teagan replied. “It’s good to see you again, Pinkie.”

“Oh my gosh! I have to get ready!” She turned and if Teagan hadn’t literally tackled the pink pony she would have galloped off.

“Wow, is this a greeting where you’re from Teelo? It’s fun!” Pinkie giggled as the two of them sorted out limbs and managed to separate themselves.

“No, Pinkie you have to come with us.” Teagan said, still grinning. “We’re going to Canterlot to see Princess Luna and Twilight.”

“Oh! Spike was looking for Twilight a few minutes ago. Why is she in Canterlot? He said she didn’t even leave him a note!”

“Things are pretty bad, Pinkie. Princess Celestia’s been kidnapped.”

“Silly! The Princess isn’t a goat! She’s an alicorn. Everypony knows that!” Pinkie giggled. “So she’s been alinapped. Wait, what? The Princess is missing? Somepony took her? How could they take her? She’s the Princess! Was it that big old Meanie Discord? I’ll bet it was! Just let me get Berry Fudge Gumball and I’ll give him such a headache he’ll wish he never messed with Princess Celestia while Pinkamena Diane Pie was around!”

“Who’s Berry Fudge Gumball, Pinkie?” Teagan asked curiously. “Is that your sister?”

“No, Silly. She’s Little Pinkie’s sister.”

Teagan felt ice run down her spine.

“Little Pinkie? You mean your rocket launcher? I thought Discord destroyed it?”

“He did.” She gave one heartbroken sniff. “That lightning bolt was too much for her. She bravely gave her all to save Equestria.”

Suddenly the frown turned upside down and Pinkie was grinning.

“But then Doctor Hooves made a bigger, better version. Berry Fudge Gumball.” Pinkie’s eyes got really dreamy.

“You should see her, Teelo. Bright red and deep brown and she’s got a humongous pair—of double barrels! She doesn’t shoot little rocks.” Pinkie chuckled while her eyes gleamed.

“Does it still fit in your saddlebags?” Teagan asked faintly, suddenly remembering a certain party where the guests included a pile of rocks, a turnip and a bag of flour…

“Barely!” Pinkie said cheerfully.

“Oh, good.” Teagan traded a look with Evelyn, who suddenly got wide eyes.

“Pinkie, it doesn’t shoot cupcakes does it?” Evelyn asked carefully. Matt looked between them, obviously clueless as to why the two were acting strangely.

“Nope!” Pinkie Pie said cheerfully. “Dr. Whooves tells me it’s something called tamanite? tangerjite? taggerbite?”

“Tannerite?” Matt asked, grinning.

“That’s it! That’s it!” Pinkie said excitedly.

“Holy crap.” He stared at her, appalled. He’d been joking.

“What’s tannerite?” Teagan asked, somewhat alarmed at his reaction.

“Binary explosive. Powerful binary explosive.” He said. “Pinkie, how much tannerite is in each rocket?”

“I told you, Silly. It doesn’t shoot little rocks.” She said, shaking her head. “About half a pound. Each.”

“And you said it has four barrels?” Matt asked carefully.

“Uh huh.” Pinkie nodded, smiling. “Four times the fun! They make a really loud bang. Dr. Whooves told me never to shoot at anything too close.”

“I’ll bet he did.” Matt said, turning very serious. “Pinkie, promise me something, will you?”

“Sure.” She said cheerfully.

“Don’t shoot at anything unless I tell you its ok, ok?”

“Hey! Berry Fudge Gumball belongs to me! Of course I’d never shoot it around other ponies, or in town, or where somepony might get scared by the noise! What do you think I am, crazy?”

“Of course you’re not crazy, Pinkie Pie.” Evelyn said hastily. “But you can get a little—enthusiastic, sometimes.”

“Have we met?” Pinkie asked, trotting over and staring at the PI from inches away. She sniffed several times. Evelyn actually laughed as Pinkie stuck her noise in her hair and snorted. She pulled back and sneezed once, blinking.

“Carrot cake.” She announced. “Right?”

“I’m sorry?” Evelyn asked blankly. “What about it?”

“That’s your favorite, right?”

“Um, yes?” Evelyn said. Pinkie grinned, hopping up and down.

“Your turn!” She said to Matt, starting at his feet and sniffing all the way to the crown of his buzz-cut style hair. She had to rear up and put her hooves on him to do it.

This time she sneezed so violently it spun her in a circle.

“Prance Vanilla!” She said firmly.

“French vanilla. Comes from France.” He corrected her, smiling at her.

“Where’s France?” Pinkie asked.

“A long way from here.” He answered with a twinkle in his eye. “Hi, I’m Matt.”

“I’m Pinkie!” She said settling back on all fours. “But you can call me Pinkie. My real name’s Pinkamena but nobody calls me that.”

Rainbow Dash came streaking out of the sky and landed in front of Teelo with a thud.

“Teelo! Man, you’re a sight for sore eyes! How’s it hangin’?”

“Not so hot. Did the guard tell you what’s going on?”

“Guard? What guard?” The blue pegasus looked around, taking in the chariots. “What’s going on Teelo?”

“Didn’t the Royal Guard tell you to come here?”

“Nope. I saw you and flew in.”

“Teelo! How wonderful to see you again!” Rarity came trotting up and smiled at the girl.

“Rarity!” Teagan hugged the unicorn, really glad to see her.

“What’s going on, darling? The guard told me to drop everything and get here as soon as I could.”

“Let’s wait for the others. But something terrible has happened.” Teagan said grimly.

“I see. Who are your friends?”

“Oh! I’m such an idiot. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, I’d like to introduce my Krav Maga instructor, Matt Sanders, and Evelyn Lewis, a private investigator.”

“Hello Rarity, Rainbow Dash. I’m so happy to finally meet you!” Evelyn said, beaming.

“Charmed.” Rarity said, nodding her head. “Finally meet us? Has Teelo told you about us?”

“No, I’m a pegasister.” Evelyn admitted.

“Whoa, you’re a what?” Rainbow Dash asked, startled. “You don’t have any wings!”

“A pegasister is a female brony, Rainbow Dash.” Teagan said hastily. “She means she’s a fan of yours.”

“Cool!” The pegasus lifted her head and flared her wings. “I know you said we had fans, but I never thought I’d get to meet one! Did you see my Sonic Rainboom?”

“Sure did.” Evelyn nodded. “Both of them. My heart was in my mouth when you were trying to catch Rarity and the Wonder Bolts.”

“You saw that? Was I cool or what?” Rainbow Dash asked excitedly.

“At least 20 percent cooler than ever before!” Evelyn laughed.

“Ha!” Rainbow Dash grinned. “You and I are gonna be great friends, Evelyn!”

Fluttershy came trotting up.

“Teelo!” She squeed and nearly glomped the girl, who staggered a bit before catching herself.

“It’s so good to see you, Fluttershy!” She laughed as she hugged the pegasus. “I never thought I’d ever see you again! How have you been?”

“I’ve been wonderful, Teelo, but I think Angel misses you. You should come by the house. He’d be thrilled to see you.”

Breaking away from the embrace Teagan found herself grinning at the thought of how Angel would react. Probably bite her…She and the rabbit had gotten off to a bad start the first time she’d been here and never really patched things up.

Applejack came galloping up from the direction of her farm.

“Well howdy, stranger! Mighty pleased ta see ya again, Teelo!”

“Applejack! I’m glad to see you too!”

“Guard seemed in an all fired hurry ta get me here.” The orange pony said. “What’s goin’ on?”

“Let’s go to the library. I’ve got some bad news, I’m afraid.” She hastily introduced the orange pony to Matt and Evelyn.

The entire party, including Subtle Dancer, Sun Hammer and the guard contingent headed for the library. When they arrived they found Spike sitting on the doorstep.

“Wow! Welcome back Teelo!” He said, grinning. “You haven’t seen Twilight, have you?”

“She’s in Canterlot with Princess Luna, Spike.” Teagan answered. “I’m glad you’re here. We need to use the library so I can explain what’s going on.

“Is Twilight ok? She didn’t leave me a note.” He complained as he opened the door. The Royal Guard stayed outside and set up a security perimeter. The others trouped inside.

“She’s fine, Spike.” Subtle Dancer answered him. “She’s helping Princess Luna.”

Applejack settled onto a pillow.

“Ok, Sugarcube, we’re here. Now what’s goin’ on?”

“It’s bad, Applejack. Princess Celestia has been abducted.”

What? How? Ah mean she’s the princess. Nopony could get the best o’ her!” Applejack objected.

“Somepony did. She was poisoned in her sleep.” Subtle Dancer spoke up.

Drugged in her sleep.” Evelyn corrected the unicorn firmly. “We’re operating under the assumption she’s still alive and waiting to be rescued. That’s why we’re here. We need your help.”

“Fer the Princess? O’ course!” Applejack declared.

“Got that right!” Rainbow Dash agreed loudly. “When do we leave?”

“As soon as you can pack.” Teagan said. “We don’t know how long we’re going to be gone, but Princess Luna is pulling out all the stops. We won’t be on our own this time. The full might of Equestria is behind us.”

“Where is she?” Rarity asked. “Why doesn’t Princess Luna send her guards?”

“That’s where I come in, I’m afraid.” Evelyn said. “We don’t currently know Princess Celestia’s location. I’m going to help Subtle Dancer find her and then the rest of you will be able to rescue her.”

“From what Sun Hammer tells me, if the Princess is being held in some other country sending the Royal Guard through the countries in between might be considered an act of war.” Matt said, now that the conversation was now in his area of expertise. “Our small team can be flown in without provoking the countries we fly through.”

“But surely no one would object to us rescuing the Princess?” Rarity said. “She raises the sun! Without the sun, well, everypony would perish!”

“Aye. Tell that tae the Troll King, lassie.” Sun Hammer rumbled. “Some o’ the other rulers be nearly as touchy, ye ken. Thay wad nae be happy tae see ponies flyin’ in their skies, so thay wad nae.”

“What about Princess Luna? Is she going to go too?” Pinkie asked.

“No.” Subtle Dancer shook his head. “We can’t risk her leaving the castle. She’s the only one who can raise the sun until we rescue Princess Celestia. Besides, she’s got to save her magic for raising the sun. Apparently the sun is much heavier than the moon.”

“That brings up another sore point.” Teagan said. “Twilight may not be able to go with us. We won’t know that until tomorrow at the earliest.”

“What do you mean, Teelo?” Spike asked. “Why couldn’t she?”

Teagan hesitated, turning to look at Subtle Dancer. He nodded after a long internal debate.

“That’s why Princess Luna summoned Twilight this morning, Spike. Luna didn’t have enough magic left after the demonstration yesterday to raise the sun. She needed Twilight’s power to help her. She might not actually be strong enough to raise the sun by herself, even fully rested.”

There was dead silence, the Ponyville residents too stunned to say anything.

“This is bad, isn’t it?” Pinkie asked, shivering.

Teagan nodded. “Nearly as bad as Nightmare Discord, Pinkie. But we beat him and we can beat whoever did this.”

“Um, excuse me, but if we don’t know who took the princess how are we going to find her?” Fluttershy asked timidly.

“Leave that to Subtle Dancer and me.” Evelyn said confidently. “Between his knowledge of magic and my knowledge of how bad guys operate we’ll find her.”

“And once we have a target we can develop a plan of attack.” Matt said calmly. “I won’t lie to you. Hostage rescues are always dicey. But I’ve had 20 years experience doing exactly this kind of operation. We find the target, get in, rescue the princess and get out. Quick, clean, quiet. Do it right and we’ll be home and dry before they know we were ever there.”

His quiet confident voice made the ponies relax. Teagan had heard enough of Matt’s stories to know what he wasn’t telling her friends. He wasn’t telling them the fact that when a kidnapper didn’t demand a ransom immediately it was usually because the victim was already dead.

I will not believe Princess Celestia is dead. She thought fiercely, even while keeping her face calm and friendly. It was another trick Matt had taught her—the poker face. Right now she was glad she’d learned it. She just wish it wasn’t so hard to maintain.