• Published 18th Mar 2024
  • 260 Views, 103 Comments

Marking the Generations – Part Three - Glimbursts



The third part of Marking the Generations, a reimagining of the later stages of the Make your Mark series. Opaline's plans are kicking into the next gear! Will our heroes rescue Sunset or will her appearance at Opaline’s door turn into a Nightmare?

  • ...
1
 103
 260

Chapter Twelve – Element in Maretime Bay

The Marestream streaked its way through the darkness towards Maretime Bay. Inside was a group of very worried ponies.

“It's okay. It's okay. Everything's going to be okay,” Pipp gasped as she held her hoofs to the sides of her head.

“What happened to all your confidence?” Izzy asked.

“Oh, don’t be confused, this isn’t fear,” Pipp replied. “I'm just stressed. This is suddenly getting way too crazy. First Zephyr Heights and now Maretime Bay is attacked."

“It’ll be fine,” Sunny replied. "It doesn’t sound as bad as Zephyr Heights."

“I don’t know Sunny,” Hitch sighed. “Skywalk sounded pretty bad on the phone.”

“I know,” Sunny responded. “But we’ll both get our elements then we’ll be able to save Sunset and defeat Opaline.”

Starlight sighed but said nothing. Deep down she didn’t think it would be so simple. She looked at Sunny, noting she still hadn’t dropped her powers. She couldn’t help wondering if Sunny was becoming more comfortable as an Alicorn than Earth Pony.


Zipp took the Marestream directly into town and landed outside the Sheriff’s Office. As Sunny looked out the windscreen, she could see there were now two flowers by the Together Tree. The new one being in bud and had the flashing glow like the others. She completely missed the orange orb in the centre of the other had no glow at all.

As soon as the door opened, Hitch exited the Marestream and headed straight into the Sheriff’s Office. He gasped at the sight of the three ponies he found within.

Sprout had stains from the rubbish still stuck to his uniform, coat, and mane. He was tending to Frost Wing, who clearly had a large bump on his head.

Skywalk meanwhile was laid on a makeshift bed and appeared to be sleeping. She had a bandage around her head whilst one of her wings and legs were bandaged and splinted. Hitch couldn’t help looking shocked.

“Okay, tell me how this happened?” Hitch gasped after a moment.

“It was an attack by a fiery Alicorn,” Sprout replied. “I…It sounded like Sunset Shimmer though.”

“With two dragons,” Frost Wing added.

“That wasn’t Sunset,” Zipp responded as she stopped beside Hitch. “It was Nightmare Shimmer.”

“What’s the difference?” Skywalk croaked.

“Steady Sargent,” Sprout advised.

“At ease,” Skywalk chuckled. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Something has happened to Sunset,” Hitch advised. “It’s not her who did this to you.”

“It’s not just that though,” Sprout sighed. “It’s Jazz and Posey, they were taken.”

Hitch’s eyes widened. “Taken?” he echoed.

“The dragons took off with them,” Sprout replied.

“Okay, describe what happened,” Zipp said as she got her phone out. “Leave out no detail.”


A short time later, Hitch and Zipp exited the Sheriff’s Office. Hitch frowned as he saw the number of ponies that had gathered. “Sheriff Hitch,” Phyllis said as she walked towards him.

“I’m sorry Phyllis, I have something of great importance I need to do,” Hitch replied. “The wellbeing of many ponies is at stake. Just like it was when Glory and Peach Fizz were missing.”

As Hitch said this, the flowerbud’s flashing green glow changed to a continual one. Hitch immediately looked straight at it with a vacant expression. Sunny meanwhile could feel the draw from the flower too, but she became concerned.

“Hope,” she said. “Hope for a brighter future full of friendship and unity.”

That seemed to do it as both Hitch and Sunny started to walk forwards alongside each other. Phyllis and the other townsponies looked on with interest as they progressed directly towards the flowers together.

However, just before Sunny got within touching distance, she found an invisible barrier. She shook her head as the trance was broken. Trying to move, Sunny found her hoofs were for a third time rooted in place. “W…What?” she gasped. “N…No we need all the elements. Why?”

Hitch meanwhile had no such impediment. He walked straight up to the flowerbud and there was a flash as it slowly opened. The same multi-coloured flower flopped open to reveal a grey orb with Hitch’s cutie mark. Without hesitation, Hitch reached out and touched the orb which disappeared with a flash. Around Hitch’s neck a necklace the same as the others appeared. The same golden band with intertwined inscriptions with his cutie mark as the charm at the centre. Hitch’s eyes had turned completely white, and he turned to face Sunny alone.

Sunny meanwhile was struggling as hard as she could, twisting her body this way and that in an attempt to free her hoofs.

“I am Hitch Trailblazer,” Hitch said in the ethereal voice. “I represent the Element of Wellbeing.”

Sunny stopped struggling and looked at Hitch with dismay. “What about the Element of Hope?” she cried.

“Sunny Starscout,” Hitch said in the same voice. “It does not work that way. You need the spark.”

“Spark?” Sunny repeated with confusion. "What spark?"

There was a blinding flash from Hitch, and he immediately fell to the ground.

Sunny meanwhile screamed as she was flung away with such force and speed that she quickly found herself over the sea. She tried to open her wings, but just like in Zephyr Heights they were stuck to her sides.

Eventually, she started falling as the momentum wore off. She cried out as the black inky sea seemingly came rushing up to meet her. Just in time, her wings opened and slowed her decent, but this wasn’t enough.

Meanwhile, Izzy and Misty had run to Hitch’s side. They all heard a splash as Sunny impacted the sea. Pipp and Zipp looked to each other with worry before taking off to find Sunny.

“I thought you said these flowers weren’t dangerous?” Phyllis asked Hitch.

“They’re not,” Hitch replied as he shook his head.

“Apart from if your name is Sunny Starscout and you’re being judged by some magical force,” Izzy responded. “We’re pretty sure there’s only one pony that’s happening to.”


Elsewhere, Peach Fizz paced around and around in her bedroom. Scowling and looking at the floor as she breathed deeply trying to calm down. “I’ll show Poppa,” she scowled. “He won’t stop me speaking with Mistress Opaline.”

She walked over to her little dressing table which had a mirror above it. Her horn glowed as she activated the spell Opaline had implanted in it and touched it on the mirror.

Her reflection within the mirror started to swirl, after a few moments it cleared to show an image of Opaline.

“Ah, Peach Fizz darling,” Opaline cooed. “What have you to report? You look upset.”

“I’m sorry Mistress Opaline, Poppa grounded me so I can’t leave the house,” Peach Fizz replied. “I won’t be able to come and help you without him knowing.”

“Ah, I wondered how long it would be before he became suspicious,” Opaline responded. “Fortunately, the plans are well advanced now, therefore your need to keep up appearances will be lessened.”

“I have something else to report too,” Peach Fizz added. “Nightmare Shimmer failed.”

“Oh?” Opaline blinked looking surprised. “How so?”

“Her attack on Zephyr Heights, it didn’t sow fears as hoped,” Peach Fizz explained. “Princess Pipp turned them into confidence and hope. The ponies are more united than ever.”

“That is unfortunate,” Opaline sighed. “That means the ponies may still have some fight in them. Fortunately, I know what to do to counter that, maintain your cover for this evening. Tomorrow will be a different story.”

“Certainly Mistress,” Peach Fizz answered.

The mirror swirled again as it returned to normal. Peach Fizz looked at her reflection for a moment before sighing. “Sorry Poppa, I must be there for my mistress tomorrow.”

With that, she headed to the bathroom to start getting ready for bed.

Author's Note:

So Hitch. Why Wellbeing instead of Kindness? :applejackunsure:

Well, this is mainly due to my desire to try and combine his Make your Mark and Next Generation personalities. It's no secret that he changed between the two.

I believe to truly care for someone's wellbeing you also need to be kind. Therefore, Hitch is still supposed to be kind here but also has that harder edge to him we saw in the movie.

Please do tell me what you think here. Have I been successful or should I just followed the Kindness route. All feedback and comments on this most welcome. :twilightsmile: