• Published 12th Feb 2024
  • 274 Views, 33 Comments

The Story of Everfree - a Narrative Chronicle - Recon777



Explore the mysteries of the ancient alicorns in a gripping tale of love and vengeance. Delve into Equestria's past to uncover the secrets of the Royal Sisters and the mystifying Everfree Forest. Prepare for an epic journey through myth and legend.

  • ...
1
 33
 274

07 - The Battle of Everfree

Helpless against Hyperion's relentless onslaught, Periapsis realized that being on the defensive was a losing situation. There was only one way she could save ponykind, and that was to kill Hyperion. She knew he was unbeatable physically. There had to be a way she could outwit him. She knew there had been ancient alicorns who suffered spectacularly fatal burnouts. If she could cause him to burn his horn out somehow, she would be successful.

The last remaining mortal pony city that was still populated was under attack. Periapsis and her daughters rushed to meet the aggressor head on. Hyperion was enjoying himself, taking his time with his victory imminent. Some of his most cruel ways of killing were on full display. He would telekinetically pull their bodies apart or turn them inside-out while forcing them to stay alive during the process.

Peri slammed into him with the speed of a missile, knocking him through several buildings before skidding to a stop against a hill. He laughed and congratulated her for the effort. He then struck back, burying her under tons of falling rubble. The two continued fighting, each inflicting only minor injuries upon the other while the surrounding landscape looked like a hundred bombs had been dropped on it.

Hyperion focused his attention on Celestia and Luna, seeing them vulnerable. He had hoped they would be the cure for Peri's insanity. It was now time to end that mistake. He charged at them, but Peri intercepted his efforts with a shield bubble around the sisters.

A matured alicorn's shield is effectively impenetrable. It was little effort for her to maintain it, and her daughters were safe for now. Hyperion made a show of telekinetically throwing live ponies at their shield with such force that they burst upon impact. The greatest pain was felt by the sisters themselves as they could only watch in horror.

Peri knew it was time to end this. With her daughters protected within the shield, she pounced on Hyperion and held him with all her strength. She then manifested magical chains to bind the two of them together.

With the two alicorns chained to one another, she then focused on his horn, bringing to bear the unfathomable power of the Aether against him. Peri's magical abilities were easily on par with Hyperion's, even if her physical strength was somewhat less. With the intense onslaught against his horn, Hyperion had no choice but to raise a magical defense to protect himself.

He tapped the Aether for the energy necessary to keep his horn from being destroyed. For that was the only real threat here. An alicorn's horn is his life. Fortunately for him, it would take an inconceivable amount of energy to actually destroy his horn. He was only mildly concerned because Peri would need to tap so much energy that she would risk her own life in the effort to end his.

And that was exactly her plan. Periapsis abandoned the hope of self-preservation. The entirety of Hyperion's focus was now on hardening his own horn. He had nothing left even to break the chains and wrestle himself away from her grasp. For the first time in his life, Hyperion experienced fear.

The energy being used by both alicorns was orders of magnitude brighter than the sun. The surrounding buildings were set ablaze. Celestia and Luna watched helplessly from within the shield that protected them. They only hoped the mortals had enough sense to put as much distance between themselves and the alicorns as they could.

Hyperion's horn began to vibrate with the increasing stress. Peri closed her eyes and willfully dropped the final portion of her restraint, tapping the infinite power of the Aether, beyond her horn's ability to withstand.

With a tiny fraction of the energy she was using, Peri brought time itself to a near standstill. She and her daughters appeared in the star-filled void of the Aether for just a few seconds. “Goodbye, my children,” she said, her tone bittersweet. “Take care of them. Rule them well.”

And then she was gone.

Hyperion felt his horn's integrity begin to fail. He had no choice but to tap more energy than he could safely use. Sensing that his defeat was imminent, he likewise slowed time to a near standstill, for only himself. With his remaining milliseconds, he designed the instrument of his vengeance.

His senses reached out to a nearby apartment complex, collapsed from the battle. Within the rubble, a heart was still beating. A mare, heavy with foal, who would have given birth within a month, in better circumstances. Hyperion reached out with dark and potent magic, and snatched the living soul right from the foal’s unborn body.

Into this innocent foal, Hyperion poured his wrath—an irresistible directive intertwined within her very essence. She would become the personification of his hatred and malice. She was now the Nightmare, existing without body or form until the time was right.

She would survive Hyperion’s physical death, lying in wait for somepony to fall into the trap. And when she was finished with ponykind, his vendetta would at last be fulfilled.

Time resumed, and in an instant, the two alicorns experienced a fatal burnout. The unrestrained energy flowing through each of their horns created an explosion that completely leveled the city. A shockwave split the ground, creating a long and deep ravine. Bare rock became molten glass. Everything else had been vaporized, scattering to the wind.

Hyperion's horn shattered into thousands of fragments the size of grains of sand. The force of the explosion dispersed the remnants of his horn for miles in every direction. Peri's horn remained intact, but her body was obliterated, leaving the horn embedded in the molten rock at the bottom of the gash in the earth.

Being severed from her skull, her horn transformed into a dark blue crystal.

The shield protecting the royal sisters collapsed, leaving Celestia and Luna hovering there above the barren landscape in complete shock. Their parents were simply... gone. The alicorns of old were no more.