• Published 12th Feb 2024
  • 274 Views, 33 Comments

The Story of Everfree - a Narrative Chronicle - Recon777



Explore the mysteries of the ancient alicorns in a gripping tale of love and vengeance. Delve into Equestria's past to uncover the secrets of the Royal Sisters and the mystifying Everfree Forest. Prepare for an epic journey through myth and legend.

  • ...
1
 33
 274

08 - Aftermath

It had taken many months for the royal sisters to gather the remnant of the mortal ponies. Dozens were hidden inside mountain caverns. Some were found hiding in thick forests. Some were wandering aimlessly beyond the outskirts of the city where the final battle took place. All were terrified and in shock.

Two hundred and eighty survivors, out of millions. The world itself was unrecognizable. The only thing the sisters could do was try and offer hope. They had already earned the trust of the mortals. Thankfully, all three tribes of pony were still represented, although there would need to be some prolific crossbreeding if the future of ponykind was going to thrive.

The sisters gathered the remnant in a nearby clearing with a river running through it. With the help of all three tribes, the two alicorns built a small town for them to live in. They named it "Ponyville" as it was the first pony village of the new era. It was a half-hour trot from the site of the battle, just outside the devastation zone, where there were still trees. Here, the sisters lived among the mortal ponies, helping them structure their budding new civilization. They learned to tend farms and barter with one another for goods, eventually creating a new culture all their own.

Occasionally, Luna and Celestia would visit the site of the battle and its strange ravine. They crafted a stone pillar and placed it on the edge of the cliff. Its inscription read:

Everfree Memorial
For all of ponykind. May you be forever free.

The site of Everfree was chosen as a memorial to the sacrifice Periapsis made to save ponykind. The name was chosen as a reminder that they would never again be subject to Hyperion's cruelty.

After two years of rebuilding, the sisters decided it was best to take steps to prevent something like this from happening in the future. It was not unknown that alicorns were occasionally born to mortal parents, and that they very likely could bring about the destruction of pony society—although, supposedly this most recent example had been the worst. Still, the mortals deserved better. They needed protection.

It occurred to the sisters that the remnant of mortals would not have had any knowledge of ancient history prior to their own lives. Ponykind had been in survival mode for years, enduring Hyperion's wrath. No records existed apart from what Celestia and Luna had in the floating fortress where their family had once lived—a fortress that would need to be hidden at some point. Its library would be useful in preserving magical knowledge, but many of its secrets would have to be guarded from the eyes of those who might abuse them.