• Published 19th Feb 2024
  • 244 Views, 7 Comments

Pen Stroke's Scattered Pages - Pen Stroke



5 contributions to the Ponyville Ciderfest 2023 Storytelling Adventure App

  • ...
0
 7
 244

#RainbowDynamics - Main Story

Author's Note:

#RainbowDynamics

  • Second Person Perspective
  • Desc: The reader/user is in Maretime Bay as Zipp attempts a legendary feat.
  • Characters: Zipp Storm, Pipp Petals, Sunny Starscout

“Are you ponies ready to see the most amazing, most death-defying feat of your lives!?”

You had intended to visit the quiet town of Maretime Bay to enjoy some of the local attractions and natural beauty. The beach, the rolling grassy fields, and the quiet, laid-back community of earth ponies was a welcome and restful departure from the high-flying lifestyle of the pegasi in Zephyr Heights.

And yet somehow Zephyr Heights had decided to follow you, or at least it could feel that way with the unfortunate circumstance as you saw Princess Pipp Petals standing on a low stage that had been setup along the main street of the normally calm coastal community. She was full in her influencer persona, taking selfies with the crowd behind her and hyping up just about every little thing.

Yet, you begin to notice that the banners and balloons attached to the stage weren’t in Pipp’s usual favored colors of pink with gold accents. No, all the advertising you saw aligned more with Princess Zipp Storm’s colors, a base of white with blue and pink accents. The elder princess, heir to the throne, was seen in the public far less often compared to her famous sister. Yet, it seemed for today, Princess Zipp was doing something rather flashy.

“That’s right, it's a big reveal time everyone. My sister. The coolest princess in Equestria, at least after me, is going to attempt an ancient and legendary feat of pegasi speed and agility. The Sonic Rainboom!

“Now, I know what you’re thinking. ‘Pipp, that all sounds super cool but I don’t know what a Sonic Rainboom is.’ Don’t worry, my fave followers, we got an expert on this subject ready to lay it down for you. Your friend and mine who swirls the smoothies here in Maretime Bay: Sunny Starscout!”

Pipp quickly stepped to the side of the stage, continuing to hold her phone at a good visual angle as Sunny stepped onto the stage. She smiled, she waved. It wasn’t the same pomp and circumstance that Pipp would put into welcoming the crowd, but it was easy to see Sunny was excited.

“Thank you everypony,” Sunny said once the crowd had died down a little. “Now, once upon a time, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Equestria’s Princess of Friendship, worked to save the world from numerous dangerous villains and threats with the help of her circle of friends. The same friends that would help her to create the Unity Crystals that now give us all our magic. One of these friends was the eternally loyal, stunt flying Rainbow Dash.

“Member of the famed stunt squadron, the Wonderbolts, Rainbow Dash was one of the fastest pegasi to ever be seen in Equestria. She was able to fly so fast that she could break the sound barrier unassisted, and with her chromatically colored mane, her pegasi magic would in that moment create an unmatched spectacle in the sky. A sonic boom of colors aptly named the sonic rainboom.”

“And my sister, though she doesn’t have a rainbow for a mane, is going to be attempting that legendary feat here today,” Pipp said, turning her head upward and pointing to a far off cloud super high in the air. “My brilliant sister, who has studied our pegasi wing mechanics even before the return of our magic, believes that on a picture-perfect day like today, that ancient legend is possible.”

It was at this moment you felt something scuttling by you on the ground. Looking down, you see some small creatures moving between the hooves of the watching crowd handing out flyers. You take one from a raccoonicorn that offers it, and look to see a graphic depicting Zipp performing the famed Sonic Rainboom.

Though… something does feel weird about this particular piece of paper. While looking around, all the other papers being held by the ponies in the audience are one white printer paper, your’s feels like it’s on something far older. It’s a bit yellowed, and you feel like you catch a wiff of something. A mixture of dust and quiet, yes the very smell of quiet, that makes you think of a library.

Yet, you cannot be distracted by the page much longer as you hear Pipp’s voice blaring even lower than usual. “Zipp, are you ready?” The peppy pink princess had gotten hold of a megaphone, and was using it to shout up to her sister high above. Your eyes move up with the rest of the crowd, where you see the small dot that is Zipp Storm wave back.

“All right… 3… 2… 1… GO!”

With Pipp’s final shout into the megaphone, you see Zipp begin a nosedive. She is going straight down, trying to build speed both with the flapping of her wings and the force of gravity. She is plummeting, and you feel yourself tensing up as you watch her zoom closer and closer to the ground. Could she actually do it, or is she going to have to pull up and give up the attempt immediately?

Which was better? This rainboom sounded amazing, and some part of you surely wanted to see it in person, but… something about the moment felt off, maybe. Was this really the time and place to see such a legendary feat recreated?


Should Zipp be successful with the Sonic Rainboom?