• Published 16th Dec 2023
  • 688 Views, 73 Comments

Shattered Pentacle - Starscribe



Lyra always knew the night was full of dangers. After years of feeling trapped and helpless, she finally Awakens to a hidden world of friendship and magic. But can she keep her secret from her monster-hunting girlfriend?

  • ...
9
 73
 688

Chapter 15

Lyra was somewhere warm. She had a cloak now, wrapped tight around her bare skin. The mud was mercifully gone, scrubbed raw in freezing water. Strange perfume seasoned her skin, though she couldn't say exactly where it had come from.

At least they hadn't left her out in the open. Tucked inside one of the oversized pavilions, she no longer felt quite so overwhelmed. Whatever she had seen outside, at least in here the world made sense.

They let her keep her magical tool. She still had the little obsidian knife, which she'd carried around strapped to herself as a cat. “I don't understand any of this,” she thought, as though Capper would suddenly be able to listen. But if he could, his words still didn't reach her.

I've been depending on Capper too much. He can't help me everywhere.

A bonfire lit the tent in front of her, heavy logs that crackled and sparked from a metal grate. The tent itself might be the living quarters of some ancient king away on campaign, complete with bookshelves, bed, fine dining chairs, and a ground covered in rich carpets.

Through the eyes of Life, Lyra saw nothing of magic in any of it. Not a single spell, even on priceless objects resting on the shelf, resonating with strange energies. This place was magic—or maybe spiritual, whatever difference that made.

Footsteps rustled the soil, and the flap opened. A single figure entered, mercifully familiar. Isabelle had changed too, from her torn and bloody nightgown into a skirt made from—leaves and flower petals, somehow holding itself together when she moved.

At least she's not a vampire. No vampire could ever look so alive.

“I hoped someone would save me,” Izzy said, lingering in the doorway. “I didn't think it would be my music teacher.”

Lyra adjusted the oversized robes. They'd come from the king's own shoulders, much too large and heavy to be comfortable. Lyra smiled back, genuine despite the strangeness. Impossibly beautiful or not, Isabelle was the same girl she'd tutored.

“You were hurt,” she said, rising from her seat. She was still taller than Izzy, though the difference was slight. Compared to such radiance, Lyra's simple humanity might as well be a dirty sock. “And I was in the neighborhood. How's that leg?”

Izzy stood up on her other leg, twisting the formerly broken one to either side. There was no sign of wounds, not even lingering redness. Lyra had outdone herself with that spell. “Not even sore. I've never heard of any contract that heals so well. But King Theodore says it wasn't a contract. What did you do?”

There were rules about “revealing the mysteries.” She hadn't broken those rules yet, but the punishments seemed steep. But did any of those even apply to obvious magical creatures?

“A spell,” she said. “All living things know what health looks like. I mended your pattern—reminded it how it was supposed to be. Only took a little coaxing.”

Izzy crossed from the entrance, resting one hand on her arm. She looked Lyra up and down, green eyes shimmering in the firelight. Though no magic came from her, Lyra still felt as though this must be some kind of spell. Mage sight perhaps, glittering behind her eyes. But without Nimbus, without any hint of the Awakened soul beneath.

“What are you people?” Lyra asked. Maybe there were more polite ways to ask—but she stopped worrying about politeness once the soldiers started shooting. “I can tell you're not human. But you're alive. Even that guy made of rock is alive. It doesn't make sense.”

“We call ourselves 'changelings,'” said another voice. The same familiar speaker, the one who had rescued Isabelle from certain death. The one who overpowered her transformation spell. “There are some other names, but that should be enough.”

Isabelle turned towards the newcomer, and dropped instantly down to one knee. Lyra almost did the same, but stopped short. Even without Capper's company, she could almost sense his presence just behind her, eyes sharp with judgment.

You are Awakened, Lyra Harper. The queens of Atlantis do not bow. Keep your shoulders straight.

So she did, instead settling for a polite nod. “Including my... student, here? Her older sister is a friend of mine, and she's never...”

Tabitha was a much wiser, more powerful mage than Lyra, with years of experience and practice. Yet for all that, she never noticed her sister's strangeness. Even Lyra hadn't, though they had been meeting twice a week for years at this point.

“That's the idea,” Izzy said. “Humans aren't supposed to know. But humans can't do what you did, so I'm... as confused as you are, Miss Harper. I saw you, and you were a cat, and then you weren't. Without any contract with cats to help you...”

Contract? Not the first time these creatures had used that word. It must be particularly meaningful to them, though Lyra still wasn't sure why.

The king nodded back to her, then gestured for Izzy to stand. “I would like to hear her version. Though if she is not truthful, I will speak for her.” She met his eyes then, or tried. Those eyes had little similarity to anything human, fractured and multifaceted like an insect. What part of them was she even supposed to look at? “You are not so bound by truth, but in my court it is customary not to lie.”

Lyra shifted uncomfortably in the ill-fitting robe. Too bad Tabitha wasn't here—she could tailor it into something that made sense with a little magic.

“I'm human,” Lyra said, without a second's hesitation. “But I'm not the way most people are—I'm what humans are supposed to be. I don't have a Lie in my soul anymore. We're called mages, I think. But Capper doesn't like that name much—sets us apart, when we want everyone to be like us. He likes Awakened instead. Because even the deepest sleeper can wake.”

Isabelle looked back with an expression not all that different from the one Lyra wore when the chariot first came to rest in this clearing. That confusion made Lyra feel considerably more relaxed, despite the strangeness everywhere. Pretty or not, she still felt all the same things. She could still be ignorant.

King Theodore had no such hesitation or confusion. “The Awakened are like other humans, Lady Dalton. They are subject to the Mask, the predations of the Others, and the touch of Glamour. But their powers are... indescribable—like the Lost, but they answer to no oath. They're dangerous creatures, best avoided for our safety and theirs. Though some few prove themselves to be friends of the court.”

He nodded to her then, the barest suggestion of respect. “You risked your life for that of the newest member of my court. As she said, Isabelle here owes you a debt, Willworker. Spring will honor it.”

He extended one hand towards her, and thin green vines wrapped around his skin, rising up from the earth. “I name you friend of the court, Lyra Harper. Wherever Spring gives shelter against the Others, wherever dreams are protected and desires honored, you will be welcome.”

Before she could retreat, he clasped his hand on her shoulder. Little feelers wrapped around her bare skin, as though some flowering bush had sprung to life in real time. She held perfectly still, watching as it grew up her neck, then around her head. Leaves rested on her ears in a little living laurel, with blue and yellow blossoms.

“Do you accept this honor? Will you be guest of the court while you stand in our lands?”

There was magic—tendrils of it filled the air, like spiderwebs spun from his words. They formed no Supernal Imago—instead the combination was random and fragmented, flecks of gold suspended briefly in the air before falling away again.

“Being a guest is a good thing?”

Izzy nodded hastily, pleading. “Yes, Miss Harper. It's very important.”

She would not trust this stranger with his crown and antlers—but she had years to know her student. She could trust Izzy. “Then I accept.”

“Good.” The king released her shoulder. Strangely, the magic remained, newly-grown leaves still shone there. Like a nimbus, but without an active spell to create it. It should be impossible, but so should many other things. “Then be welcome. How can the court repay this debt?”

Isabelle is a changeling. She might not be the only one. How many other creatures were out there?

“I...” Lyra looked down, then flushed bright red. “Something to wear would be awesome. Something that actually fits me. And if anyone has seen a black cat about as big as I was, I'd love to talk to him.”

Theodore laughed. Izzy did too, albeit more of the forced “expectation” of humor. She didn't quite understand whatever amused the king.

“Something to wear, we can do. And I'm sure a swift return to the world you know. The specifics of repayment would be best discussed another time. Something roused humanity to anger tonight. Others might need my help without warning. Come.”

He led her into another pavilion, one Lyra took to be a shop of sorts from the overflowing shelves and garment racks inside. “When she is satisfied, bring her to the mirror. I'll meet you there.” He backed out the way he'd come, leaving the two of them alone.

Isabelle remained silent for a few seconds, until the king was gone. Finally she wrapped one arm around her in a shivering hug. “Tonight I thought I would die, Miss Harper. I won't ever forget this.”

Lyra hugged her back, as awkwardly as the oversized cloak allowed. “You don't owe me anything, Izzy. I wouldn't let you die. It doesn't matter what you are, or any of this... changeling stuff. I know you—you're not a monster.”

The girl could look all kinds of impossibly superhuman—there was still a teenager underneath. A girl overwhelmed and confused and scared. All her dignity and poise was a lie.

“W-where I... came from... you'd be... surprised. Monsters can be pretty. The prettiest ones are usually the worst.”

Lyra pulled back, meeting her eyes. “I know that better than you realize, kid. I know monsters—I've killed them before. But I know good people too. I know someone who doesn't deserve what happened to her. To live is to grow, Isabelle. Keep living. One day, you'll grow bigger than your nightmares.”

She cried—not that different from the way she cried when Lyra promised to lie to Tabitha for her, and claim they were going back to the piano. Lyra's magical senses could not pierce the mind of any creature, but she didn't need them to see deep wounds, untreated and bleeding.

She saw, because she recognized a pain that still tormented her on the worst nights. Izzy had seen horrors, and participated in just as many to survive. Like Lyra, she was much too young. Someone had taken terrible advantage of her, and left her ragged and scarred as a result.

Izzy straightened, turning her back on Lyra. She shuffled through the shelves, rattling the clothes hanging there. “I know King Theodore will make sure you get repaid. But I... want to help too. I'm new, I don't know many contracts. But I know one. It might help you.”

She spun, catching Lyra's hands in hers. When she spoke, it was with that weight to her words. Magic flowed from them, though it was strange and its purpose followed no Imago.

“By my true name, I grant you this season. See with eyes unclouded and wander in the blossom of the rose. By my name, shelter by my shield. By my name, dream without fear. By your name, you will keep my secret. In faithlessness the Wyrd will turn its curse. Do you swear?”

Capper is gonna hate me for this. After weeks to finally start feeling like she understood the world, Lyra was up to her neck all over again. But if the magic requires my consent, it can't be that bad? I could just tell her no.

“I swear,” Lyra said. “But could you tell me what that means?”

Izzy relaxed, and a familiar smile returned to her lips. “You get a little of my magic, and promise not to tell anyone what you saw. Well—anyone who doesn't already know about us. Mostly my sister. I mean—I'm not really sure what you were gonna tell her to start with. ‘I turned into a cat and magically healed your sister? Don't worry, she's fine.’”

You don't know she's a mage either. Lyra nodded weakly. “I guess that... makes sense.” There was that regret. Those words were there, if she'd been listening for them. How was she going to tell the rest of the Cabal about what happened now?

I still have to stop Akiko's plan. If Tabitha getting attacked wasn't enough to make her change her mind...

“Don't break oaths,” Izzy went on, as though she hadn't just wrapped magical threads around Lyra against her will. “It's really bad if you do, even with friends. I don't get to decide what happens, the Wyrd does. Anyway... how about something like this? If you fight monsters, this might help you.”

She held up something heavy enough that she had to use both hands, right where it caught the light. An armored top and skirt, formed from thin metal scales and glittering links.

Like everything else here, it was impossibly beautiful. The scales were still leaves—but only shaped like them, each one inlaid with little lines like the veins on a real plant.

Even Capper would approve of this. She took it in both hands, and jerked slightly upward with weight that wasn't there. “It must be magic to be so light.”

Izzy nodded eagerly. “Most of it won't work for you. But the important parts will—keeping you safe, and looking like regular boring human stuff when they look at it. Only a changeling will see what you're really wearing. To anyone else, it's whatever you're supposed to have. Suit, ballgown, bikini, uniform, whatever.”

Akiko and Tabitha might be able to enchant something like this if they worked together. But if they did, it wouldn't look half as beautiful. More importantly, it would radiate magic like a beacon, warning anyone who saw it that Lyra was walking in armed. But her mage sight saw nothing—no spells as she knew them.

“I don't expect anything for saving you,” she repeated. “Really.”

Izzy pushed it against her chest. “If it makes you feel any better, it won't do anything for you if you're not a friend of the court. We'll get it back. But for right now—I think you need it.”

Tomorrow I will. “Okay.”

Izzy beamed back. “Great! Hold on, I think there's some underclothes here. Let's not keep the king waiting.”