• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 1,673 Views, 42 Comments

Star-crossed - WhovianPony



When Discord finally tramples Celestia's last nerve, she decides she's had enough and banishes him to Earth without his chaos power. But when he falls in love with a human, Equestria will never be the same again.

  • ...
9
 42
 1,673

Chapter three

"Katrina, I swear, I've had it with you bringing in strays!"

"Oh get a grip Bane, it's not like i'll have him here long."

The large black wolf eyed her angrily. "No, I refuse to let him stay here! I won't have it Katrina. Not going to happen! Besides, he smells strange, not like anything i've ever smelled around here."

Discord, to be honest, had no idea what either one of them was saying. Somehow Katrina knew how to communicate with the wolf, but all he could do was sit there and wait for them to come to a decision. "What's he saying?" He asked.

"He doesn't like you. He thinks you smell funny and he won't let you stay at the den."

"I smell funny?"

Katrina shrugged, "A little bit, but it's not a bad smell just a different smell. Which is still a bad thing to a wolf, to be honest." Then she went back to speaking the wolf language, "Bane, I'll make you a deal. Let him stay here, just for one night, I'll find something to do with him first thing in the morning. In return, I promise, I won't bring anymore injured animals to the den, I'll find somewhere else to go."

The alpha looked at Katrina, and then at Discord, a look of disgust on his face. Admittedly, he wore that look a lot. or maybe it was just when Katrina was around. He sighed in frustration, knowing that it wasn't good for his reputation to give in to one who wasn't the alpha, let alone a human. "Fine. One night. One. Singular. Night. And he leaves in the morning."

"Thanks Bane, I owe you one."

"You owe me a heck of a lot more than one, human. And don't you dare think that this is me going soft, or i'll have to teach you otherwise, by any means necessary!" He barked this last comment as menacingly as possible, to make his point absolutely clear.

"I wouldn't dream of it." Katrina agreed. "He says you can stay, Discord. But only for the night."

"Thank you for this. I honestly expected you to freak out or something when I saw you coming over. It's what everyp- er everybody, usually does when i'm around. " He said with a yawn. He wasn't used to being tired. As an immortal he didn't technically need to sleep to function properly. This human body, however, was not nearly so accepting of sleep deprivation.

"No, problem. It's my job, and I was happy to help. Now try and get some rest, I have a place I can take you to tomorrow but we have to leave early to get there on foot."

So far this day was not going according to plan. At least thanks to the human he had shelter, which he might have been able to deal with himself had Celestia not teleported him 6 feet off the ground. Despite the pain he still felt in his leg, and being stared at by every wolf in the cave, Discord soon fell fast asleep.

He dreamed of Celestia repeatedly being hit in the face with cream pies. It was a good dream.


"Discord? Come on, it's time to wake up."

Discord groaned and turned over "Ten more minutes?" he asked.

"I'm afraid not. It's already close to noon, I was hoping you might wake up on your own so I let you sleep in longer than I should have. In about ten minutes, Bane will come to wake you up himself."

He opened one eye, "Is he the rather large black one?"

"That would be him, yes."

Suddenly this seemed like the perfect time to wake up. "Ok, ok, i'm up. Where are we going?"

"A house I used to live in down near the village. It's pretty far away though, and you went and slept in, so we'll have to use an alternate mode of transport."

"Meaning?"

"What i'm about to do, usually freaks people out, so you have to promise not to freak out and not to go blabbing about it in front of the villagers."

"If you don't want pon- er people to know, then why are you showing me?"

"Because it will get us there a lot faster, and because I trust you not to tell. Please promise?"

"Alright, I promise."

Katrina stuck out her pinkie finger, "Pinkie promise?"

Discord chuckled slightly at how similar it sounded to something he heard once in Equestria, "Pinkie promise."

"Good."

The other wolves that were still in the den weren't at all concerned about what she was about to do. They all knew her secret by now, she had been living with them so long. Katrina took a step back from Discord, like the night before she began to glow from head to toe. Much faster than the last time however, the glow faded revealing a large, snow-white wolf where the human had been.

Discord stared, open-mouthed in surprise; he didn't think humans could use magic. The wolf laid down on the ground in front of him, evidently intending him to get on. He looked around at the other wolves, it was hard for him to tell, but it seemed several found this amusing. I can;'t believe i'm doing this. He thought.

His leg still hurt terribly, but he was able to ease himself onto her back with a bit of effort. She turned her neck so she could look at him through the corner of her eye and lifted her shoulders slightly. Discord understood and he held tightly to the thick neck fur. He was able to keep his balance as she stood and started to walk out of the cave. Once they had gone for a bit, and he had a better knowledge of how to stay on, she picked up the pace. Gradually she moved a bit faster, and a bit faster until she was going at a dead run. Discord couldn't help but smile, he liked the the feel of wind in his fur too, bac when he had fur. In fact, riding on a wolf going that fast, watching as the trees whooshed by, felt almost as if he was flying himself again.

Sooner than he would have liked, the pair approached a cabin on the edge of the woods. It looked abandoned, the paint had almost entirely peeled off, and many shingles had slid off the roof onto the weed covered ground that surrounded the cabin. The door itself was actually more of a curtain, the kind used to keep out bugs. Katrina didn't stop at the doorway but instead walked straight up to the curtains and went through, she knew the house like back of her paw. The interior of the house was in much better condition, there was some paint peeling here and there but otherwise there wasn't much wrong with it, and paint could be redone. Katrina continued carrying him over to a flight of stairs, and she carried him up the stairs too, remembering that he couldn't climb them himself until his leg was healed. She took him down a hallway to one of the rooms and there she stopped. The walls were covered in family photos and drawings of racecars, and at least a hundred books. It was probably the best kept room in the entire house. There was a bed in the far corner that Katrina helped him onto. In the same glow of light as before she was a human again.

"The house isn't in the best of shape, but I come back to stay here a lot so I can assure you it's safe enough." Then she laughed "I don't know about you, but for me, that was a lot of fun. I guess I needed a run, sorry if got carried away." she said nervously.

"No worries, I like a good run too, the wind in your face and all that. But more importantly, since when can humans use magic?"

"That's a long story. One that I don't think I can fully go into right now." She sighed. Her face was focused and deep in thought, as if she was trying to remember something she forgot a long time ago. "Suffice it to say, as far as I can tell, i'm the only human that can. That's the whole reason I live in the forest, because nobody could stand to be around me once they found out what I was."

Her head ached, it hadn't stopped hurting since she found him the night before. The head aches didn't usually last this long. She shook her head in an attempt to think about something else. Time for a change of subject. she thought "Anyway, that was a really long time ago. I had better find you something to eat. You're bound to be hungry by now. Have a craving for anything in particular?"

Now that he thought about it he was pretty hungry, having something to eat might not be such a bad idea. Another thing he was unaccustomed to, hunger pains. What do humans eat anyway? The same things as ponies? "I don't mind really, just...I don't eat meat."

"Oh, your a vegetarian? Not a problem, really. I've spent long enough as a bunny to have lost my taste for meat. I'll eat it if I have to, but it's really not my thing. How does peanut butter and jelly sound, with some chocolate milk?" She asked.

"I love chocolate milk, that's one of my favorites." He smiled, if only he could make it rain chocolate milk again. He really didn't see why Celestia hated that so much.

"Excellent! I'll be right back, you stay put and call me if you need anything."

"Hey Katrina?"

"Yes?"

"Whose room was this?"

Katrina smiled sadly, "It was my little brother's. A long time ago." Then she left and closed the door behind her to go and make some sandwiches.

Discord stared at the ceiling and thought about that. Of all the rooms he saw, this one was in the best shape. Why was she being so nice? She only just met him, if she knew who he really was... What are you thinking, Discord? Why should you care? She's a human. A really nice human, who saved you in the woods, and stared down the alpha wolf so you could stay there, and put you in her brothers room. STOP IT!! She is a human! You're not, not even close, therefore she's off-limits. Why am I feeling this way? Is it because I'm human now?

Discord frowned and turned his head to face the wall. There were family photos there. There was an older man and woman smiling with their hands on the shoulders of a tall blonde boy, holding a trophy for something. The next picture looked like Katrina and what must have been her little brother playing with some blocks, the blonde boy from before was sitting in a chair in the background reading a book. Her little brother had dark hair and was sitting in a wheelchair. Was he injured? The boy was shown in quite a few pictures, many of them showed him playing with toy cars and drawing pictures with Katrina. The strange things was, in each photograph with Katrina in it, she looked the same age as she was now, even as the boy in the wheelchair got older.

"He sure did love racecars."

Discord jerked out of his line of thought, startled by the sudden appearance of Katrina.

"Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. I was just thinking aloud for a moment. I remember he had this huge fascination with things that go fast. Especially cars." She was holding a tray with several sandwiches on it and a couple of covered glasses of chocolate milk.

"No worries, I was just looking at the photos." Discord gratefully took a bite of one of the sandwiches, he was pleased to notice that she added honey to the peanut butter. He didn't expect that that would go well, but it really tasted great. The two ate the meal in peace for a while but finally he broke the silence, "Is that your little brother then? In the wheelchair?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah." Katrina looked into her chocolate milk with a solemn expression on her face. She obviously didn't like to talk about it. But Discord wasn't very good with common sense, he had to know something, and then he'd let it go.

"Have you looked at these pictures recently?" he asked.

Katrina furrowed her brow, thinking hard. "I mean to sometimes, but whenever I do I get these terrible migraines. I always figured it was probably something about the room, like a dust allergy or something." She contemplated her sandwich for a moment, "Why do you ask?"

"Well i'm sure it's nothing."

"If it was nothing, you wouldn't have asked."

"I was only curious, it's just that....you don't appear to age...in any of them." She's been so nice, why did I have to go and bring it up? but he knew, If she really doesn't....then maybe...it might work out. but the sensible part of him knew better than that, luckily Discord had a lot of practice in shutting that part up.

Katrina stopped suddenly, "That doesn't sound right."

"I could very easily be wrong."

Katrina, despite her splitting headache, looked up at the photos adorning the walls. It did seem like she was almost the same age. There was some signs of getting older, just slowly, not nearly as fast as her little brother. In what appeared to be the very most recent picture, her little brother was celebrating his 15 birthday, she looked the exact same as she did now. almost as if... she was stuck at 18.

"Katrina... How long ago where these taken? I know you said a long time ago but I mean-" He was cut off by the sound of Katrina shouting and clutching her head. "Katrina, what's wrong? Are you okay?" Now you've done it. Like she's really going to like you now. The other part of him said, Shut up.

"I'm okay, or I will be. It's just a really bad headache. It happens a lot whenever-." She gritted her teeth to stop herself biting her own tongue. "Whenever I start remembering things I'm not supposed to. Oh jeez that hurts. To be honest, they're not usually this bad tho-"

Katrina fell to the floor and nearly fainted. She had to focus all of her willpower just to keep from passing out. Her head swam with information her brain had given up on holding back. She could remember now, not everything, but a whole lot more than she had. They all fit right into place in her mind, like they had always been there. Being adopted into the family, the reason her brother was in a wheelchair, being blamed for his death. A lot more came too, including...

"A.. a hundred years..." She said.

"What?"

"That picture.... it was taken a hundred years ago."


Author's note:

Stuff just got real. 0_0