• Published 28th Dec 2011
  • 4,774 Views, 72 Comments

The Alicorn Scrolls: Skyrim - RyuuKiba



The epic tale of Khazur, the Argonian Pony, in the perilous land of Skyrim.

  • ...
7
 72
 4,774

Chapter 2: Flight or Fight

Chapter 2: Flight or Fight

“May a daedroth sleep with my sister, Frozen, they’re going to murder me…” I whispered to my brother.

“Well this isn’t one of your robbery trials, Khazur, rape is punishable by death in Brumare, let alone defloration through rape.” He whispered back.

“That’s the thing, I-“

“Khazur Marrak, Argonian under the tutelage of the Glow family.” The Count interrupted me, his tone bored.

It was quite evident this was not the first time he had said that. I simply swallowed hard, bracing myself for what was to come.

“Lady Cherrytip Winterfruit has accused you of rape and of the defloration of her body. Her parents Lord Pine Winterfruit and Lady Snowberry of Winterfruit provided the needed acknowledgement of this fact.”

The stoic-looking father neighed in a menacingly low tone. I didn’t need to see him to know his eyes were fixated on my throat and a dagger in his mind.

“By the laws of the Equestrian Empire, and with the local Thalmor ambassadors as witnesses, it is required that you are given the opportunity to speak in your defense. What have you to say, in use of this right you gain upon yielding to the guard?”

I looked at the unicorns that had just entered the hall, the Thalmor. They wore expensive clothes that included ceremonial pieces of armor all lined with gold and forged from mysterious black metals. Their bright furs, manes, and tails showing their ancestral connection to the first unicorns to have lived in Equestria back in the time before recorded history.

I had no intention of hiding my disgust, so I whinnied heavily. I had no problem with High Unicorns, whom shared kinship to them, but I shunned each and every Thalmor. My adoptive parents had not kept from me the way my mother had died, and though I never met her, I was not about to forgive these invaders for what they had done. I couldn’t care less that the war had ended. In fact, the terms they forced the Empire to agree with banned the worship of the goddesses Luna and Celestia as well as the God Talos, all recipients of my diseased step-parents’ devotion. I would gag just by the sight of how their ambassadors and peace enforcers went about proclaiming the supposed rescue of the Empire from further angering the Divines by the worship whom they called heathen idols.

I finally turned to face the Count, shaking away my discomfort.

“The first thing I will say, your lordship, is that even though there’s proof Lady Cherrytip lost her virginity, there’s none to show that there was any rape.” I said, calmly.

Everyone turned to look at the complainant, whose eyes had become wide in surprise. She flinched for a second before raising a hoof to her rib cage.

“Oh… m-my poor mangled body…” She feigned. It would have been a convincing act had it been present throughout the day.

“Right, as you can all see, she is in excellent shape. If any rape had taken place, the least any mare would have would be bruises.”

I could see Frozen smile from the corner of my eye. So far this situation had been dealt with swimmingly, my previous fear starting to subside. And that’s when the pain of betrayal crept into me.

The night before, I had been walking around town with the beautiful Cherrytip, speaking of many things and admiring the goddess Luna’s moon. We had found a secluded little patch of forest just outside the city to speak and caress more intimately. She had wanted to be with me, but I had declined. I maybe was a troublemaker and a thief, but if there was something father Gem Glow taught me it was to respect and cherish a mare’s body beyond her or my own desires. She hadn’t taken kindly to this, but I never imagined she’d frame me for rape because of it!

“That would still leave the defloration without the father’s consent.” The Count explained, somewhat relieved that it was no longer necessary to execute me.

“Yes, it does.” I said, fighting against the pain in my heart.

But it was no time to be forgiving. Cherrytip had decided to wage war with me, and I was not about to just let her attack go unanswered.

“Forest Glow, I hope you’ve brought the information you were keeping safe for me?” I turned to see my eldest brother, who was unable to hide his sly smile.

“Of course, Khazur, I brought anything that could help you out of the noose.” He said, proudly, and reached down to a bag that sat beside him and took it to me. I reached in and pulled out a bunch of envelopes and folded papers and tossed them at the hooves of the Count.

“These are letters, written to and from Lady Cherrytip’s three previous lovers. You’ll see that they are authentic and that they have proof that it I wasn’t the one who deflowered her.”

I discretely looked at the mare, now red with embarrassment and slowly turning to hide behind her distraught parents. I smiled, repressing a snicker. I had been enamored by Lady Cherrytip for years and had, sometimes, used my pick-pocketing skills to learn of her. I knew it wasn’t exactly the healthiest and most honorable hobby, to steal my love interest’s intimate letters… But in the end my little evil saved me from a greater one, right?

“So, young Khazur,” the Count slowly began, pondering something in his head. “How did you come by these documents?”

Wrong.

“I-I uh… well you see.”

I staggered, suddenly the tables turning against me yet again. Taking a deep breath, I sighed. I wasn’t as good at lying as I was at sneaking. I shook my head regrettably.

“I think my… inclination for theft isn’t news to anypony here…” I said simply, almost in a whisper.

Frozen Glow’s shoulders slumped, my other brothers sighing and shaking their heads almost in unison. I just stood there, staring at the Count’s hooves. I had effectively saved my own life, but I couldn’t bring myself to look up. I was usually the defiant, carefree type, but I had just barely escaped execution only to dirty my victory with yet another petty theft.

“The fine for pick pocketing is 40 Bits, as you most likely already know, pay it with my steward and leave. I have had enough of this trial.” Meadbeard closed his eyes and lifted a hoof to his forehead, most likely in response to a headache.

“Wait,” Lord Pine said, his voice quivering with frustration and disappointment.

The Count looked at him with a frown, but nodded to indicate the Lord had permission to speak.

“First, this lizard stalks and steals from my daughter for years; he dares to court her without my consent, permanently damages her reputation and in doing so dishonors my family by revealing that my daughter has…”

As he spoke, his voice steadily grew to a scream as his anger boiled, tears of rage crept to his eyes as he lifted a hoof at me.

“By my right as Lord I demand permission to repair my family’s honor by the sword!”

I bristled, what was it with these ponies and wanting me dead?! I stomped a hoof and growled. My feathers slightly puffed up as I gave a step towards the Nord stallion.

“And what of my family’s damaged honor?! Your precious filly had me persecuted all across town, assaulted with arrows and swords, hit by war-hammers, and nearly killed. Then you insult me further by branding me a rapist and insinuated I had the gall to disrespect a mare’s chastity!” I glowered at the lord.

“Take what is left of your pride and mourn your family’s honor without bothering mine!”

The noble recoiled, my words stinging him. He then reared and gave a powerful stomp to the ground, his fury close to demolishing his self control.

“I still have the right to fight you for my honor!”

“Oh for Luna’s love!” I huffed.

“Hey!” one of the Thalmor unicorns that were serving as witness interrupted me with a growl.

“Watch what you say!”

At this point what little restraint I had left snapped and I gave a hiss through the back of my throat, the serpentine sound unsettling the ponies around me. Because I was raised by Bretons in a predominantly Nord town, I did not have the scratchy, hissy accent of my race. So whenever I did use sounds inherent to Argonians, they made a far deeper impression than usual on those accustomed to me.

“I said nothing wrong. The name of Luna is a blessing to the ears of anypony who cares to listen, as is that of any other of the 11 Divines.” I seethed.

The Thalmor glared at me with contempt, gritting their teeth so hard I could have sworn I heard them screech. As they approached me, I finally noticed the grave mistake I had just made, being executed for rape would be mercy compared to what awaited me.

“Your pitiful Moon Princess, her sister and your joke of a god Talos deserve no place beside the 8 Divines.” the unicorn wearing the most impressive outfit said menacingly.

“You are well aware that the worship of those idols is prohibited by the Empire itself, on account of their treaty with the Aldmeri Dominion.”

I started backing away from the enraged ponies, looking at Frozen Glow for a moment, hoping he would help me the moment all Oblivion broke loose. The Winterfruit family simply enjoyed the show, for I had just given them what they wanted in a silver platter: the certainty of my death. I spared a glance to the Count; I knew that he had no power to intervene here, and he simply avoided my eyes and shifted uncomfortably in his throne. The guards shifted in their places as well, some of them surely worshiped the banned goddesses and Talos in secret, and felt no joy in seeing somepony else was about to die for mentioning them.

“Your actions are, therefore, treason to the Empire and an insult to the beliefs of the Thalmor, and for that you will die,” the unicorn continued.

That’s when I caught a glimpse of a strange purple shine on one of Frozen Glow’s hooves, which he had hidden behind his back; he was holding a suspicious piece of paper under another hoof.

Not a second afterwards, a monstrous stallion made entirely of solid ice and easily twice the size of even the largest Nord buck burst through the wooden wall behind me. I stared at it with my mouth agape; its bulk was more akin to a mammoth than to a pony!

“It’s a Frost Atronach! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!” Heart Glow screamed.

He was a terrible actor, but the ruse seemed to work as most of the ponies present turned tail and galloped away in panic. Some guards stood their ground and unsheathed their weapons, though none of them dared to attack first. I for one was about to kiss my brother in utter joy. I loved having an adept conjurer as younger brother.

The beast turned the chunk of ice that comprised its neck and head, its featureless face eerily looking over its miniscule enemies.

Frozen Glow took advantage of the distraction to grab the sides of my face and looked at me in the eyes. I could see a deep pain through them and began to suspect what he was about to say. I shook my head slowly in his grasp.

“Khazur, you need to grab what gear you can and get out of here, Brumare isn’t safe for you anymore. The moment that Atronach vanishes you’ll have the whole town watch and the Thalmor after you.” He explained, a tear running down his left cheek.

I tried to quickly think of some other option, but I soon saw there was none, and so I nodded and turned towards the nearest open door. I hesitated for a moment, looking back to my three brothers.

“Stay strong Khazur. Make our parents proud with the life you make for yourself!” Forest Glow screamed over the roars of the icy creature that was now locked in combat with the guards.

“… I love you guys!” I shouted back, trying to banish the tears that threatened with falling.

I headed for the door at full gallop, a shard of ice whizzing past me and embedding itself in the wall. I gave it a shocked glance before I took a sharp turn and entered the chamber beyond, closing the doors behind me.

“The prisoner is escaping! You two, go after him!” The muffled voice of a guard captain reached me through the thick wood.

I looked around the room hurriedly, seeing it was the castle dining hall, neatly arranged for an upcoming feast. I scurried to a candle-holder and proceeded to bar the entrance with it. The doors shook violently as my pursuers slammed into them. I barely managed to step back as a sword tip found its way through the wood. The shock staggered me for a moment but soon enough I was fleeing across the hall and into the next chamber.

I found myself in the castle kitchens, deserted now that a giant Atronach was rampaging about the keep. The cellar door, across from where I stood, suddenly slammed open and a fire ball hit me on a shoulder, singeing it. I growled in pain as I ducked under two more spells.

“You thought your little scene would save you from your fate, Argonian!?” the voice of the Thalmor leader called out.
I threw myself out of the way of another blast, and launched my own burst of flames from a hoof in counterattack. The unicorn, evidently much more skilled at magic than I, raised a ward spell that completely blocked him from my attack, which was pitiful in comparison to the raging spheres of hellfire that he wielded.

“Damn unicorns! This is ridiculous!”

I overturned a table to stop another attack and flung a kettle at my assailant with a strong buck of both my hind hooves. The blunt object phased through the ward and hit the unicorn with a thump, staggering him.

I rushed to a door on the far corner of the room, taking a kitchen knife with my mouth in case I had to fight again. I slammed the door shut behind me and barricaded it with a wardrobe and various benches and other furniture close at hand.

The guard’s barracks now stood before me, emptied of any warrior who might have been resting there.

The sound of hooves approaching from various entrances increased my anxiety and I rushed to look for the one tool that would give me a true chance to fight back. I dropped the knife I had in my mouth and dug through weapon stacks and chests filled with armors and shields. I took advantage of my finds and slipped into a set of leather armor.

It was quite used and most likely left there to use by recruits in training, but I wasn’t about to sacrifice my speed by using heavy armor. The boots on my hind legs and the chest piece were both a bit loose for me but it didn’t matter in the present circumstances. I tried putting on the helmet, the sharp clunk as its brim hit my horns making it painfully obvious I would have to do without the piece.

An arrow hit the helmet as I was about to leave it on the floor. The guards had reached me. I hastily dove into another chest and smiled as I found what I had been looking for: A utility horseshoe.

I ran off with the horseshoe in my mouth and tried to rapidly fasten it to my right hoof while doing my best not to stumble. Arrows whizzed past me and some struck the nearby tables and wooden chests, puncturing through them with faint thuds. A ball of flame that flew over my head and exploded into a training dummy in front of me heralded the arrival of Thalmor unicorns. The situation was getting much too dire.

I finally got the horseshoe on and took the weapon nearest to me, lodging it into the horseshoe mechanism on the inside of my hoof with a click. I then noticed the weapon was an iron sword, rusty and filthy, it seemed the slightest touch would break it.

“Okay, now I’m sure. The Divines hate me,” I whined.

I didn’t have much chance to keep cursing my luck before a guard’s mace fell towards me. I lifted my weapon hoof, which activated the lever and counterweight system of the horseshoe to position the hilt of the iron sword at the base of my hoof and allowed me to parry with the laughable blade. Sparks flew upon contact and there was a loud clang, but thankfully the sword remained whole. I ignored the recoiling buck that had attacked me and hurried to the large barred doors that lead to the streets, the utility hoof’s mechanism using my momentum to place the sword back on the side of my hoof and shifting it so it did not impede my movement.

“From now on, I’m not going anywhere without one of these!” I vowed in my thoughts.

An arrow hit my left foreleg shortly after; however the armor’s bracers managed to reduce the damage. I shrugged off the sting and continued forward. Two guards ran to block my exit, both wielding impressive war-hammers… I was starting to really loathe those.

I charged straight into them, jumping over a low swing from one of the weapons. As I landed, I rolled on the ground avoiding the second attack. Tripped one of the guards with my dull blade and hurried off into Brumare.

The sting of cold air hit me the moment I exited the castle, the chilling wind bringing tears to my eyes. I ran along one of the outer walls towards the gates. The street sloped down steeply towards the great doors, and I had to be careful not to trip and land on my face as I galloped.

I then noticed a cabbage merchant that was slowly making his way up the slope, a fellow Argonian. Taking my chance, I leaped into the cart, which was freed from its owner’s grasp by the force of my landing.

“Sorry, marsh-brother!” I called back as the cart sped downhill, my feathers whipping back in the wind.

Some ladies screamed as I rushed by, nearly run over by the rampant vehicle. I tried steering it with my weight but it wasn’t much use, so I simply braced myself for impact.

The cart slammed into the gate, flinging cabbages into the air and opening it just enough for me to get out. I took a moment to shake off the recoil and dizziness my stunt had left me with. I then rushed outside, ignoring the surprised looks of the guards that had been minding the great doors.

I didn’t look back as I rushed into the forests of the Jerall Mountains, a single arrow missing widely and striking some six feet away. I didn’t pay attention to any more attacks that may have come my way; I simply galloped with all my might onwards, my mind locking my body into a continuous loop of running and avoiding trees. Snow kicked up from my hooves, my breathing heavy and coming in short huffs as I raced.

It must have been hours before I slowed down, for the sun was setting on the horizon and its orange light was already painting the clouds a dazzling array of colors.

Now just trotting into the unknown, I finally looked back. Brumare, the only place I had known and called home my entire life was no longer in sight, and with it any hope of being with my brothers again.

I let myself fall on the snow, panting, and exhaustion finally settled into my muscles. I carefully pulled the arrow out of my armor, the small wound it had opened underneath was already well into healing. Every other hit I had received that day seemed to throb under my scales as even the smallest scratch took advantage of my tiredness to harass me.

I closed my eyes tight, for the pain in my heart had begun to overwhelm all that other suffering I was going through. I felt my throat tighten and my tears starting to drip to the snow below.

So there, in the solitude of the forest I wept for the life I had lost and the family I left behind, all because I was not smart enough to keep my mouth shut.

I remembered the times of happiness with my family. Then came the dark memories of comforting my brothers when mother and father passed away. The singing from the many birthdays we celebrated together echoed in my ears and even my step-brother’s bullying became fond memories in that moment.

The images of everypony I had ever known were displayed to me vividly, as though they were all there with me. But the visions soon began to fade in the falling snow and wither with the mountain mist. I was alone, and had no way or intention of going back.

The distant howl of wolves prompted me to cut my weeping short, and I was once again off, who knew where, who knew for how long. For the first time in my life I was truly and utterly in the hooves of the Divines.


The next morning came eventually. I hadn’t stopped, hadn’t eaten, or slept; all I had done was walk, walk all through the night. My mind had kept me busy the long, cold hours with images of my past and visions of how I could have avoided the situation that led me to that aimless stride through the mountains. The steady ups and downs of the terrain only pushed my being further into my thoughts through the rhythmic movements of traversing them.

The sun was high in the sky when hunger finally threw me back into reality. I was still in the forests, but there was no more snow around me. I hadn’t noticed until that moment that I had, in fact, left the snowy peaks so far behind no white was visible around me.

The air was damp, and much warmer compared to Brumare. The sounds of nature surrounded me, undistracted by the sole pony traversing their land. Butterflies flew about me and the soft forest floor was coated with leaves of all shades of brown. A pheasant flew past me, startled by my hoof snapping a branch under me. My mind quickly grasped the beauty that surrounded me to forget my previous pain, and I smiled.

I felt like trotting happily through this new and wonderful terrain, but it was an impossible feat in my current state. I settled for breathing deeply, letting the sweet cacophony of smells fill my lungs.

I noticed a stream up ahead and gathered all my strength of will to gallop to it, jumping to my knees and greedily drinking from the cool waters. The sensation was relieving and I dove in, the caress of flowing water soothing me to an instinctual level.

After I rested for a moment under the surface, I proceeded to stalk the fish that swam through the stream, my natural water breathing ability granting me a much needed edge on my unsuspecting prey.

I caught and ate my fill with the help of my sword, silently thanking my parents for allowing me to be a mischievous little colt who hid in streams and caught fish for fun. Once outside, I rested on the large rocks that lined the water’s path.

Then, as I closed my eyes to enjoy the wilderness some more, I felt an excruciatingly sharp pain on the back of my head and my vision blurred.

A fire-brick Earth-Pony, clearly from the brightly colored race of the Imperials and clad in fur armor stood before my writhing body, an iron mace rustier yet than my own sword inelegantly tied to his right hoof with an improvised horseshoe. He crouched down to see me eye to eye.

Darkness crept into my eyes as consciousness slipped my grasp. A metallic taste reached my tongue and I felt blood dripping around my head from a wound under my feathers. The last thing I heard was the bandit’s heavily accented words.

“’Elcome tah Skyrim, chum!”

*** *** ***

ADDENDUM 2
The following pages are an addendum of texts and depictions of creatures, places, ponies, and relevant objects from this tale.
Though not fundamental to the understanding of the events, you are free to read on and delve deeper into the world of The Alicorn Scrolls.

Concept Art

Frost Atronachs:
These Daedric creatures seem to be exclusively Male, but their bodies are difficult to study due to their strange nature. Their forms are always huge and massive, towering over anypony of the known races with the sole exception of Giants, whom rival their height. As with their flaming cousins, Frost Atronachs have resistance to their natural element of ice.

Daedroth:
Large, hulking daedric creatures with the body of a pony and the head and tail of a crocodile. Many mock Argonians by referring to them as lesser or little Daedroth.

High-Unicorns:
Also known as Altmer, High-Unicorns are the graceful natives of Saddleset Isle, said to be descendants of the first Unicorns to inhabit Equestria.
They are brightly colored and somewhat taller than most other races, though slender and sleek in shape. Altmer have the most aptitude for magic of all pony races living in Equestria, and thus are able to master almost any kind of spell fairly quickly. Their lightly built bodies and elongated proportions make them quite weaker and less agile than other races, so they rely heavily on their natural magical skills.
Because of the Great War and the banning of Celestia, Luna, and Talos’ worship, Nord Earth-Ponies have a deep hatred for High-Unicorns, even if they are not Thalmor.

The 8 (11) Divines:
The gods and goddesses of Equestria. Before Thalmor rule, Celestia, Luna, and Talos (named Tiber when he was a mortal) had been worshiped as equals to the other 8 Divines as mortals who were granted godhood for their deeds in life.
All 11 Divines of Equestrian worship are:

Akatosh, The Dragon, greatest of the 11 and god of time.

Arkay, god of the cycle of birth and death.

Dibella, godess of beauty.

Julianos, god of wisdom, logic, and reason.

Kynareth, godess of the skies and nature.

Mara, godess of love, mother to all.

Stendarr, god of mercy and justice.

Zenithar, god of trade and work.

Talos, god of war and rule.

Luna, godess of the night and humility.

Celestia, godess of the day and temperance.

Skyrim:
Northernmost province of the Equestrian Empire and homeland of the Nord Earth-Ponies.
It borders with Cyrodiil and Hoofingfell to the south, Marewind to the east, and High Buck to the west.
It is said Skyrim was the first land conquered by Earth-Ponies, Nords specifically, and was once home to the Dragons, great intelligent beasts that had sought to enslave all of pony-kind in the time before the Empire.
Today, Skyrim is deep in the claws of civil war. A radical faction known as the Stormcloaks wishes to bring down Imperial rule to drive out the Thalmor and remove the ban on the worship of the Alicorn Sisters and Talos.
To make matters worse, it rumored that Dragons have returned to Skyrim as legend foretold, and have come to bring the end of the known world. These rumors have yet to be proven true, however.