• Published 28th Dec 2011
  • 4,774 Views, 72 Comments

The Alicorn Scrolls: Skyrim - RyuuKiba



The epic tale of Khazur, the Argonian Pony, in the perilous land of Skyrim.

  • ...
7
 72
 4,774

Chapter 1: The Colt Who Met an Atronach

There are times in history when bloodshed and despair seem small and insignificant; present only in simple incidents with little importance and far apart. Peace reigns while all kingdoms are content with their strength and wealth. War is a strange word to all.

Ponies live through these times taking their good fortune and peace for granted, finding trifles about which to whine and groan. Their plentiful food, strong roofs, and joyful families are gifts so inherent to their lives that they are seldom valued.

But then, with one fell swoop, fate brings forth catastrophe, war, and famine. The great sword of destiny slashes again and again, toppling kingdoms and ending civilizations. These horrid events may, indeed, happen in quick succession for centuries on end, offering no relief, mercilessly devastating all of existence.

One such time brought the glory of the Equestrian Empire, the greatest power known to the world for eras, crumbling down. The sword and horn of the Thalmor Unicorns, warriors of the Aldmeri Dominion, descended upon the Imperial City of Canterlot on the year 174 of the Fourth Era, and with them came sorrow and despair.

However, even amongst the blood, the screams of ravaged mares, and the cries of dying foals, new life finds ways to push forward: A mare of the reptilian race of the Argonians galloped with an egg, her son, secured in her saddle-bags, Thalmor arrows and spells raining in her midst. She pushed through the gates as sword and axe gashed at her flesh, climbing a fleeing carriage as it left the burning city behind.

On the charred and dirty floor of the cart, the mare succumbed to her wounds, but her son for whom she had given her life survived. A young Breton Pegasus merchant, owner of the carriage, and his wife searched amongst the survivors for one who would care for the unhatched foal, but were unable to find one, so they kept him as their own.

This act of charity within times of war would save the life of the Argonian Pony Khazur Marrak, and begin the rolling of yet another of fate’s dice. This tale is an account of his travels, accomplishments, and sufferings. For the life of one this steeped in the fluid of destiny is bound to become a story worth telling…

By RyuuKiba

Chapter 1: The Colt Who Met an Atronach

I still remembered with every detail, down to the smells, the sounds, and even the venison taste that lingered in my mouth, the night I met that filly so many years ago.

I had just eaten dinner and I crept outside to play in the moonlight. I was just a colt after all. Yeah, I was one silly, mischievous little Argonian colt running around under the stars.

What’s an Argonian you ask? You must be new to Equestria, my avid story-hunter! Alright, before I continue my tale, let me tell you a bit about myself and my kin.

Argonians are reptilian ponies native to the swamps of Buck Marsh, southeast of Cyrodiil, center of the Equestrian Empire. We have scales, bony crocodilian tails, grow feathers on our heads and tails, and can actually breathe underwater. Despite common misconceptions, we are warm-blooded… Like pegasi without wings or feathers… uh… no, rather think of us like big, featherless bird ponies. …No, I don’t think that helps either… Well, I think you’ll get to understand us better as I keep telling you my story.

So, there I was: a colt that had snuck out of home at night and was playing around in the grass without a care in the world. My blackish scales had a few spots and stripes of dark red and silver that I displayed proudly as I had refused to put any clothes on that day. The red was richer on my brows, in sharp contrast to my bright-gold eyes while silver-white scales drew a line from the tip of my nose, down my back, and all the way to the end of my tail.

The fluffy and young red feathers that grew on my head and my tail tip, along with the few individual feathers dotting my flanks and shoulders, shuffled and swayed in the night breeze. Two horns, small and barely visible at my young age, grew back from my temples, and practically drew the limit of where my feathers started.

I could almost hear my step-mother’s voice in my head, urging me to go back inside before the wintry Brumare air gave me a cold or a bear came by to eat me.

I huffed, actually meeting a bear would have been amazing, in my opinion at least. Anyhow, the night air was refreshing, there was hardly any snow, and the forest that stretched out behind the house was separated from our lands by a calm stream, which was always so inviting due to my water-loving instincts.

Brumare had been my home my entire life or at least all that I had memory of. It was a city at the northern border of Cyrodiil, at the base of the majestic Jerall Mountains. It was mostly populated by Nord Ponies, who were strong and heavily built Earth-Ponies adapted to the cold climates of their native Skyrim, the land further north, beyond the Jeralls. My own adoptive family was all Breton Pegasi from the temperate land of High Buck, however, and always made an effort to see to the well-being of their children and me in the perpetual snows of the region we now resided in. They were especially concerned with me, since Argonians don’t have fur coats like all the other pony races. With their help, I managed to adapt well, though. My body knew no other climate than Brumare’s, and snow was nothing new to me either. In time I had become a hardy little winter-lizard.

Knowing that making too much noise would alert the servants of my little escapade, I laid on my back to watch the stars. The constellation of The Shadow shone upon me beside the moon, reminding me of my upcoming birthday. Oh how I loathed my birthday, always small, always unimportant, always pestered by my step-brothers… I shook my head to ward off those thoughts; I didn’t need dark memories spoiling that moment of peace.

I took a deep breath and sighed, my tongue reaching between my tiny sharp teeth to get a bit of venison unstuck. I chuckled, remembering how my meat-eating habits appalled my brothers. Mother Nightshade and Father Gem Glow were far more accustomed to my race’s diet though, step-parents needed to be, I guessed. A smile slowly appeared on my face; thinking about how my caretakers went out of their way to love me for whom and what I was, which always cheered me up. Back then I thought they were the only ones who did…

Right then a torchsprite flew by, its abdomen lit with beautiful green light. My concerns for stealth lost in childish glee, I chased after the critter across the grass and leapt into the stream to continue the pursuit. The water felt cold as I splashed into it, a sensation most ponies would have found unpleasant. Not me though, I could have stayed there, sleeping under the surface had the torchsprite not stolen my full attention. I carried on into the forest, dirt and twigs clinging to my wet scales and tangling in my soft, mane-like feathers as I ventured forth behind the floating emerald light of the bioluminescent bug. The sounds of the night filled the cold air as I raced, forming a natural symphony that all but immersed me further into my little game, causing me to utterly lose track of time.

When I finally noticed that my playful chase had dragged on for too long, I was lost in the forests of the Jerall Mountains. I looked around the snow-covered wilderness, fear getting a hold on my young heart. I started hyperventilating, frantically searching for a landmark or a distant light that would lead me back home. Slowly the chance of meeting a bear stopped being something to look forward to as the fear and darkness drew fangs and vicious, hungry eyes over the mental image I had of the beast. I tried running, but lacked the will to take more than a few steps; the possibility of getting even more lost was too terrifying to keep going in any direction. And then a sound sent a chill down my spine. A wolf’s howl echoed into the starlit sky.

The blood-chilling call was not too far off, and my own panic brought it ever closer to my ears. I could hear their muffled steps coming closer in my head, and getting lost no longer mattered. I galloped off in the direction opposite to the sound, blind to anything but what was in front of me.

As if the entire forest had suddenly turned evil, branches scratched and stabbed at me from all directions and the snowy rocks threatened to make my hooves slip on their surface.

My terror peaked as the sound of panting reached my right ear, I dared a look and saw the hungry eyes of a wolf that was running beside me. I turned to find another of the creatures running to my left, and I could hear at least one other behind me.

I tried to make sharp turns that would drive them into a tree or confuse them long enough to escape, but my efforts were in vain. The predators simply darted and maneuvered around any obstacle I tried to force in their way. Hope was fading faster than any of us ran.

The ground suddenly dropped from under my hooves as I fell down a steep ridge I had been unable to notice, sending me tumbling down painfully through branches, loose rocks, and snow. Finally I landed at the base of the ridge, face planting against a log. I curled up and pressed my hooves to my nose as the pain concentrated on my muzzle.

I heard the wolves land gracefully around me, their growling drawing closer. I shut my eyes tightly; there was no way I could run from them now.

A sudden warm feeling flew past me, followed by a rush of warm wind and the sound of fire. I opened my eyes to see that a wolf had been tossed back and was now engulfed in flames. The other two beasts were no longer paying attention to me; instead, they growled and bore their fangs at somepony or something behind me.

I turned to see what it was when a ball of flames grazed my right cheek and blasted one of the wolves back against a rock, charring it.

I held a hoof to my cheek; it still felt hot but had thankfully not been burned. My eyes were wide with shock for a completely different reason, though.

There, a few feet away from me was a creature I had only seen in my step-father’s spell books.

It had the shape of a filly and its body was formed by flames that danced and flickered about it. Black volcanic stone formed armor-like structures that gave a more solid shape to its hooves and jaw, from where it twisted back in a pair of curved horns like a mix of deer antlers and ram horns. The stone also gave it a chest-plate that continued upwards to the sides of its neck and back, running down its spine to its flank. Fire erupted from the stone, forming a blazing tail, similar to the tongues of flame that waved from its head to form what appeared to be a mane.

The most mesmerizing thing about this creature, though, was its eyes. They never ceased to flicker and dance within the fire that rose from the armor that defined her snout and cheeks. They couldn't settle on a single color, flashing from red to orange to yellow to white, waving and crackling like a campfire on a midsummer's day. Yet, something could be seen within the dazzling, abstract features; something that reflected the heart and soul of the unnatural being that gazed upon me.

It was a Flame Atronach, a vicious creature from the planes of Oblivion, the hellish realm of the immortal Daedric Princes. And yet, it was different to all the illustrations I had seen, which always portrayed them as full-grown mare-devils. I didn’t even think daedric creatures could have foals!

The last wolf whimpered and scurried away, its companions now piles of bones and burnt flesh. I, on the other hand, did not move as I was completely mesmerized by the flaming filly.

Ever since I hatched, I had a certain affinity for fire, which would later be evident with my flaming arrow cutie mark. I enjoyed watching it dance in the fireplace as the family kept warm in the coldest days of winter. And yet this creature was made of a whole different type of fire, one much more brilliant and alive, far more majestic and imposing than the hearth. I could see how the snow melted and evaporated around it, lifting in clouds that only made its presence even more mystical and alluring.

I cautiously crept out from behind the log, still trembling from the adrenaline that had rushed through me in the pursuit and the ferocious short battle. The Atronach seemed about to attack me for a moment, lifting a hoof and shaping a ball of flames upon it, but the daedric filly hesitated, and finally let the power dissolve before resuming a proud pose. Behind it, another Atronach appeared from the darkness and mountain mist, an adult.

The two flaming creatures stared at me for what seemed like hours, I stared back, taking in the experience of being before such beings. Then they began trotting away. I wished to follow them, but now that my body was no longer kept alert by fear and excitement, my head began to spin. I tried shaking the feeling away, but my vision only blurred further and I fell unconscious to the forest floor.

I woke up hours later, in the patch of grass where I had been watching the stars just outside my home. I told my story many times ever since, but as one would expect, nopony believed the little Argonian colt’s tale of how he was saved from wolves by an Atronach on the eve of his birthday.

This memory, along with how I got my flaming arrow cutie mark after burning down our house with a single arrow from my dad’s enchanted bow, the time when I got caught stealing for the first time, the second, the third, and all the way to the twenty sixth, they were all flashing before me at that moment.

-

And then my life suddenly stopped flashing before my eyes and I was back, back to the year 4E 201, nineteen years after I had met an Atronach, back to the streets of Brumare, and back to a sword that was about to cleave my head clean off. I managed to duck under it, the attack missing and ramming the weapon into a wooden wall behind me.

“You are not getting away, scum!”

A Nord Pony guard shouted at me from a block away, preparing an arrow in his utility horseshoe and using another to hold up his bow. Oh how I wished I was using one of those weapon-carrying contraptions, I was no good at fighting with a sword in my mouth. The guard’s light steel plate armor and chainmail chimed as they shoved against each other with the movement, and the tunic that covered most of it, bearing the Brumare crest of a griffin with its wings spread wide, waved in the air. He was wearing a helm, so I couldn’t see his face. His mane and tail however were a bright shade of gold, common in many Nords.

I was hearing fine clothes that day, which were mostly a vest and shirt and a neat ring placed on my left horn. It was all dirty, though, muddied and torn from fleeing the guards.

“Ou ffaven’t ewen ‘old me att I’m ‘eing awoosed of!” I screamed through the hilt of the sword as I tried to get it unstuck with my mouth while its owner attempted to pummel me with his hooves.

Three guards were after me at the moment, two were shooting arrows at me while the other was currently using me as a punching bag. One of the archers had a fiery orange mane and tail while the other was far more similar to the one assaulting me up-close. All three of them wore the Brumare Watch armor.

“We don’t need to explain things to you, Argonian!” The third guard huffed.

“That’s racist!” I retorted, letting go of the sword, genuinely insulted.

I gave up trying to retrieve the blade and pushed the guard out of my way, an arrow barely missing my head. As I ran through the alley I was surrounded in, getting dangerously close to one of the archers, I looked back at the guard I had pushed. He was already on his hooves, and dislodged the sword with one strong tug of his utility horseshoe.
“Oh come on! That shouldn’t even be possible!” I cried in frustration.

I managed to dodge two more arrows, smirking at my display of skill. The guard I was running towards decided it was time to change tactic and proceeded to unsheathe a monstrous two-hoofed sword. I ducked out of the way of the first blow; however the guard managed to slam the weapon’s hilt into my ribs with a force I compared to a raging bull. I fell to the ground coughing and gasping for air.

“This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!” He roared.

I managed to avoid the guard’s finishing blow, rolling to my hooves just in time as the gargantuan blade struck the ground where I’d been seconds ago. I turned, using my tail to trip my attacker, who was rearing for another attack. I proceeded to jump over him and continue running.

Three more guards rushed in to block my path, I cursed my luck and frowned, determined to snake my way through them. I leapt to a wall and pushed on it to land behind the first guard, spun close to the ground under a sword blow and used the momentum to trip the third warrior.

“Ha! You’re all way to slow to catch m-“

A war-hammer slammed into my ribcage and launched me against the wall t my left. Pain shot through my body while air was once again forced out of my lungs. Another guard had arrived while I was concentrated on avoiding the others and brandished an enormous steel war-hammer. I saw the beastly weapon be lifted up high to crush my skull and I closed my eyes tight. I only wished I had known what I was about to die for.

“WAIT! Wait! He yields! He yields!” a familiar voice called.

I managed to turn and see Frozen Glow, my younger step-brother, running towards us with a terrified expression. He was a sky blue pegasus with white mane and tail and vivid turquoise eyes. This bright coloring and his navy blue mage robes gave him a Breton Pegasus look that bordered on stereotype, at least for my tastes.

“Don’t kill him! He’ll go with you to stand trial; just, just don’t kill him!”

The guard looked down at me and gave one last kick to my face. The pain that now assaulted my snout joined the one from my ribs, causing me to twist awkwardly.

“Very well, we’ll let this one live. We’ll be taking him to see the Count. You’re lucky to have the protection of the Glow family, lizard.”

“What is he being accused of.” My brother asked, shoving the guard out of the way to help me up.

“The rape and defloration of Lady Cherrytip.” One of the other guards spat, as he reached us.

My eyes widened in disbelief and Frozen glared at me as we were led to the castle. The ponies that had been walking the streets stopping to see what the fuss was about. When they saw us, they simply shook their heads and went about their business, unsurprised with who was being taken to stand trial.

“Wh- hey! I did not rape her!” I stomped, insulted by my brother’s glare.

“Fine, you didn’t, but why oh why has the one mare you’ve been after for years sent the guards after you?” He turned to look forward as we spoke.

“Well I don’t know! All we did was walk around town at night… She insinuated but I told her to wait. She was coming on to me.” I explained, my frustration climbing with each word.

“Then I advise you to lie because no one in all Equestria is going to believe a coveted Nord lady ever made the first move on an Argonian pickpocket.”

“I am not a pickpocket! I’m a proud member of the Glow family! And I’ll let you know I’m a coveted stallion myself!”
“Who steals things from ponies on a regular basis…?”

“For sport!”

“You’re hopeless, Khazur. Count Meadbeard is tired of seeing you around the castle paying fines or sneaking about, trying to steal from the nobles.” My brother’s tone softened as he spoke and acquired a tint of tiredness and defeat.

“Look, Frozen, I can’t help it… It’s a thrill I seldom get with anything else. Besides, I never steal stuff that’s too costly. And I even give most things back!”

“What about studying fire magic? You could get a healthier thrill out of that, right? I know you have the aptitude for it.” He suggested, as we continued through Castle Brumare’s outer gate.

I huffed derisively.

“The court wizard’s a cowardly old fool; he won’t even let me cast basic flames on the practice dummies. It’s always reading and enchanting items with that unicorn, I bet I know more about Destruction Magic than he does.”

My brother sighed loudly and was about to retort when the Castle doors opened and everypony fell silent as we proceeded into the entrance hall.

The hall was an impressive, high roofed chamber lined with wooden pillars and imperial flags with beautiful Nord decorations and carvings. Guards stood at the sides of each pillar, their attention fixed on me, maces and swords readily attached to their utility horseshoes. I looked down, not wanting to seem defiant in the midst of so many guards. I noticed blood dripping from my head to the golden carpet that decorated the floor. I repressed a glare at the guard with the war-hammer.

We finally reached a throne at the end of the hall, where the heavy, red-maned Count Meadbeard looked at me with a tired expression as he stroked his characteristic beard with one hoof. It was strange to see an Imperial Earth-Pony with such generous facial hair, but somehow it looked fine on the dark green stallion. He wore his expensive count garments, with the golden necklace he wore as badge of his office dangling from his neck.

To my right, members of the Winterfruit family, Cherrytip included, glared at me. Some of the stallions had their horseshoes ready with expensive daggers hidden under the sleeves of their nobility gowns. Their bloodlust was more than apparent, and I wondered if the guards were there to keep them from killing me before the trial as much as they were there to keep me from escaping.

To my left, my two other brothers, Heart Glow and Forest Glow, looked at me with pale faces, shaking their heads subtly. Their respective wine red and green fur and feathers were on end and their bronze mane and lime-green mane were both in disarray.

I was quite thoroughly done for.

*** *** ***

ADDENDUM 1
The following pages are an addendum of texts and depictions of creatures, places, ponies, and relevant objects from this tale.
Though not fundamental to the understanding of the events, you are free to read on and delve deeper into the world of The Alicorn Scrolls.

Concept Art:


The Equestrian Empire and Cyrodiil:
Founded in the year 243 of the First Era (1E 243) by the Council of Windigobane through the alliance between the three warring kingdoms of Unicorns, Pegasi, and Earth-Ponies. It is said the High-Unicorns, Imperial Earth-Ponies, and Breton Pegasi are direct descendants of these three tribes.
The Equestrian Empire is as vast as the land which is its namesake, Equestria, however the recent Great War with the Aldmeri Dominion has seen it weaken and some of its provinces lost.
The central state is known as Cyrodiil, and is the homeland of the Imperial Earth-Ponies. Its capital is the Imperial City of Canterlot, famous for “The White Palace”, a majestic structure of ivory, marble, and gold built atop the Canterlotian Mount.
The provinces the Empire ruled over before the Great War include Cyrodiil, Skyrim, Hoofingfell, Buck Marsh, Marewind, High Buck, Saddleset Isle, Valenwood, and Elsneigh.

The Thalmor and the Aldmeri Dominion:
The Thalmor were once a faction of High-Unicorns living in their native province of Saddleset Isle. When they rose to power in the year 4E 22 they renamed the province Alinor and founded a new empire named the Aldmeri Dominion. They proceeded to invade provinces of the Equestrian Empire, thus beginning the Great War.
After the Imperial City of Canterlot was reclaimed by the Equestrian Empire, both the Thalmor and the Empire had suffered great losses, and so they sought to end the war with the signing White-Gold Concordant.
The terms established in the concordant included the banning of Celestia, Luna, and Talos’ worship and the inclusion of Thalmor supervision to the roads and major cities of the Empire, as well as the ceding of southern Hoofingfell.
The native Redguard Pegasi of the ceded province rebelled against the concordant, and the Empire was forced to reject the entire territory.
The Thalmor then engaged in war with Hoofingfell and lost, however relations between the rogue province and the Empire have remained damaged.

High Buck:
North-western province of the Equestrian Empire, bordering Skyrim to the east and Hoofingfall to the southeast. High Buck is the homeland of Breton Pegasi, where the oldest structure known to history, the Adamantine Tower stands.
With a tame climate and fertile soil, it is a rich and prosperous country to where many ponies go in search of better lives. It is a land ruled by commerce and keeps a low profile in the great chaos of history.

Argonians:
The reptilian race native to the province of Buck Marsh. They are resistant to many diseases, can breathe underwater, and have feathers instead of manes.
Also known as Saxhleel, they have always suffered of racism and discrimination throughout Equestria and their lands have been raided numerous times by slavers from Marewind.
Though slavery has been abolished from the Empire, many still exploit the unfortunate lizard-ponies and Marewind still has a healthy underground slaver economy.

Breton Pegasi:
Native to the province of High Buck, Breton Pegasi, or Hoofmer, are one of the three races said to be direct descendants of the first three tribes that founded the Empire. Their unique connection to their ancient allies has granted them a natural aptitude for magic akin to that of Unicorns though to a lesser scale.
They are a kind race, and many migrate to various provinces for commerce and in search of knowledge.

Nord Earth-Ponies:
The heavy-built natives of Skyrim. Their bodies are less colorful than their Imperial brothers, and their manes tend to vary between blonde and fire-brick.
The first Earth pony race to tame the Equestria wilds, they forged an Empire that thrived and fell before the Windigobane Council.
Nords are natural warriors and their fearsome presence give them the advantage of demoralizing would-be assailants. Some ancient records say that the first Emperors of Equestria before the Alicorn Dynasty were, in fact, of Nord race and not Imperials.

The Shadow:
A constellation in the sky of Equestria, shaped like a hooded pony holding up one hoof. It is said that ponies born under it have a natural ability to hide in the shadows and remain undetected by others.

The City of Brumare:
A city in northern Cyrodiil, built at the feet of the Jerall Mountains, which draw the border with Skyrim.
Because of its proximity, Brumare receives many immigrants from Skyrim. Its cold climate, similar to that of the northernmost province, attracts other Nord travelers from Cyrodiil itself, mostly ponies looking for conditions more like those of their forefathers.
The city played a key role in the Nightmare crisis, an event of the time when Celestia and Luna had not yet raised to the heavens as goddesses.
Before the Great War, Brumare housed the chapel of Talos, god of wars. However, after the White-Gold Concordant banned the worship of this god, the chapel was closed and demolished. The enraged citizens rebelled against the local government, but were quickly suppressed by the Legion and troop of Thalmor soldiers.

Torchsprites:
Much like their cousins the Parasprites, Torchsprites are small, four-winged bugs with spherical body shapes. These insects, however, have glowing abdomen which they use to communicate and attract potential mates. The dazzling gatherings of these insects have gained the critters the nickname “Star Clouds”, as their bodies in the dark of night seem to replicate the stars above.
Torchsprites are sometimes used for alchemy, as their glowing thoraxes can grant energizing effects to potions. They can also be ground and boiled to serve as ingredient for magic-impeding poisons.

Flame Atronachs:
Daedric creatures with essences comprised of the elemental powers of Fire. Like all Daedric creatures, not much is known about their culture or lives.
Flame Atronachs are exclusively female and their forms are roughly the size of a tall pony. Their flaming bodies cannot be harmed by any fire, be it magical or natural. In fact, fire seems to heal and rejuvenate them.
These Creatures do not appear to be devoted to any Daedric Prince in particular, serving one or another as they see fit.

Daedric Princes:
Immortal creatures akin to the Divines, gods. They reign over the different planes of Oblivion, a realm attributed to evil and the unknown.
Some ponies, such as the Dark Unicorns of Marewind, have purely daedric religions, worshiping the one known as Azura as their racial matron.
The Daedric Princes are usually seen as demonic creatures who enjoy the suffering of mortals, and in many cases this is true. Some of the most vicious Princes include Mehrunes Dagon, god of destruction, and Molag Bal, prince of dominion and slavery.
However, there are some Daedric Princes who are neutral to mortal ponies, or trade their grace for services such as Nocturnal, matron of thieves, and Sheogorath, god of madness. Also there are those who are benevolent, such as Azura, lady of dusk and dawn.
There have also been Daedric Lords of unknown origin such as the entity known as Nightmare Moon, bringer of the Nightmare Crisis, and Discord, a mortal who, in antithesis to Luna and Celestia, twisted into a Daedric Lord who bridges the realms of Sheogorath and Sanguine, patron of hedonism and dark desires.

Utility Horseshoes:
Invention first developed by the technologically advanced, yet extinct Dwarven Ponies, long before the Empire.
They consist of a main body, shifting mechanism, holster, and arrow-hook. They can be strapped on to a pony’s hoof, slipped into like boots, or latched on by clasping two-piece main bodies together around the appendage.
The shifting mechanism varies between the different types of utility horseshoes, but their function remains the same: To make it possible for a pony to carry an idle tool or weapon and quickly shift it to be wielded or used.
The main types of Utility Horseshoes are:
The Static or Single-Piece Horseshoe: Cheap and hardy horseshoes better fit for use in carpentry and armory, since they lack any kind of shifting mechanism.
The Mechanical Horseshoe: The most common type, they have a shifting mechanism comprised of counterweights that react to a user’s movements to wither wield or hold the tool attached to their holster.
The Dwemer or Dwarven Horseshoe: Extremely rare horseshoes found in Dwarven ruins. Their shifting mechanism is powered by the mysterious technology of their extinct creators. Much more reliable and efficient than Mechanical Horseshoes, their system seems to have a mind of its own, and might sometimes shift the weapon automatically to protect its user. Their major weakness is that, if broken or defective, there is no way of repairing them and must be replaced.
The Gemstone or Mage’s Horseshoe: Expensive, state-of.-the-art horseshoes with magical mechanisms powered by gemstones. They do not require cumbersome inner-workings as their parts are controlled and kept in place magically. They connect to the minds of their users through enchantments and thus shift and move as fast as thought.
Like enchanted weapons, these horseshoes need soul-recharging via gemstones. Pricier ones last longer, but their powerful enchantments can become unstable with misuse or direct impacts to their embedded gem, resulting in painful accidents or the breaking of holstered weapons and tools.
The arrow-hook of a utility horseshoe, as its name implies, allows ponies to knock arrows and shoot them with bows attached to another horseshoe. The hooks can be given many other uses as they are not exclusively designed for arrows.

Destruction Magic:
School of the magic arts that include any kind of directly destructive or offensive spells, divided into Fire, Frost, and Shock elements.
The expertise in this school also benefits users of objects and weapons with destruction enchantments.