• Published 29th Nov 2023
  • 2,007 Views, 218 Comments

Brilliant Sunburst - David Silver



Sunburst was the official crystaler. It was his job to help care for the young princess, and he had grown used to and even enjoyed the task. It was a pity, if one asked Flurry Heart, that he lacked a little trait that'd make him the best foalsitter.

  • ...
66
 218
 2,007

20 - Mighty Steps

Sunburst found Starlight in the kitchen, nibbling on a few things. She looked up, frowning. "What?" She tossed a carrot aside. "You're going to tell me you didn't mean it, aren't you?"

Sunburst shied back, unsure how to approach the sullen fire before her. "Starlight, first, you are and always be one of the most important ponies in the entire world."

Starlight pinned her ears to her hear. "That's nice." She let out a sudden sigh. "But you don't know you, so how do I fit in that? Maybe I'm the one being unfair right now."

Sunburst stepped forward, her hooves meeting Starlight's. "I'm sorry. I'm not used to having a girlfriend. I'm not used to being a girl. I'm not used to anything. But I'm trying, and I want to try with you." She lifted Starlight's hooves. "So, I'm going to ask."

Starlight nodded, letting Sunburst speak, running her tongue across suddenly dry lips.

"Starlight--" Sunburst went in, touching horns with her. "Let's go steady."

Starlight blinked, stunned. "I--Sure? Sunny!" She swatted at Sunburst. "I appreciate the step, but you teased me with a big leap. You horrible thing." She gently nuzzled against her friend. "Horrible."

Sunburst chuckled, holding Starlight close. "Well, I'll make it up to you."

Starlight snorted. "You better."

Sunburst held Starlight's hooves. She backed up a step, shaking herself. "I have been a terrible romantic partner."

Starlight perked her ears. "How?"

Sunburst pointed up the stairs they had just come down. "Starlight, I want to invite you back upstairs, and I will hold you, hug you, and do everything in my power to make you happy you picked to be around me, for some reason."

Starlight felt her cheeks burn with a new heat. "I--Yes! Yes, that sounds great, actually." She shoved the food she had been chewing on away with her magic, suddenly in the way. "Let's do that."

Sunburst nodded, leading Starlight back to her room. "I don't know if I'll ever be good at this, but I'm going to try."

Starlight shook her head. "Please." She nipped gently at Sunburst. "You'll be fine, and I'll tell you if you mess up."

The two vanished into their shared room and they shared many other things together with an abundance of passion and understanding.


The sun was streaming in gently through the window and a soft squeak conspired to awaken Sunburst. She sat up and slid from bed as the squeak repeated. "Hm?" She found the source, at the edge of their pen. Pebble was looking at her and trying to get her attention. "Oh, hey, little guy." She scooped up the bunny. "How are you?"

Pebble sniffed at her, then started licking. He settled into her forelegs, his nose twitching.

Sunburst felt her heart melt at the affectionate greeting, snuggling with Pebble eagerly. "And a good morning to you too." She got to cleaning up Pebble's area with her magic, refilling her water bottle and setting some comfy hay down to play with, or chew, as her rabbit desired. "So, I guess we're keeping you, huh?"

Pebble hopped from her arms and into the hay, flopping down. He rolled over, exposing his belly for rubs.

Sunburst laughed at the display. She reached a hoof to gently rub the rabbit's belly. "I don't think most rabbits want anything touching their bellies." But she had an odd bunny, and she only felt her love swelling the more she knew Pebble. "I made you, and I love that I did, and you." She leaned in for a little nuzzle. "I hope you like me too."

Pebble squeaked, wiggling happily under her touch. His ears flopped back, and he looked content.

Sunburst smiled at the sight as she sat up. "Now, I'm going to do some reading. You happy here?" Taking the lack of distressed motions as consent, Sunburst moved from the pen towards one of the bookshelves. "Starlight, you awake?"

Starlight groaned from the bed. "No." She rolled over, her eyes opening. "I'm awake, and you're cute." She yawned. "Morning, dear."

Sunburst's heart fluttered at the sleepy compliment. "T-thanks, um, you too?" She knew it was awkward the moment she said it. "Sorry. Morning."

Starlight slipped from the bed, trotting over to wrap Sunburst in a hug. "It's fine. You're doing great." She gave her a kiss. "Now, I'm going to go get some breakfast. You want anything?"

Sunburst blushed at the kiss, her mind whirling. "Um, no. I'm fine. Thank you."

Starlight laughed. "Okay, see you soon." She trotted from the room, vanishing from sight.

Sunburst considered the new day before her even as she grabbed a magic book that looked worth reviewing. "A whole new day, hm. Today I should probably start thinking about what to do with myself." She settled down to read, Pebble snuggled up beside her. "A new life..."

She read a few pages, finding them fascinating. "So, there's a spell that can turn a pony into a dragon..." She shook her head. "That's a bit much."

Pebble rolled onto his back, exposing his belly for rubs. Sunburst laughed gently. "You like your belly rubs." She wasn't going to deny him, rubbing as she read onwards. "I remember Starlight mentioning a few other transformation spells being used. I just weathered one myself, technically."

She thought back to her previous form, the stallion she had been just so short ago, that felt like a lifetime ago. "Magic can do a lot." And she was a wizard, a wielder of such tremendous powers. "Mmm." She set the book aside, having read enough. "I wonder..."

She focused her horn, feeling the magic within her. She was aware of it, now, and how it flowed. She could feel it. "Maybe..." She let it flow, focusing on Pebble. She felt it course through her, and into the rabbit.

Pebble blinked, sitting up. He looked down at himself, wiggling his hooves. "Bun bun?"

Sunburst stared. "You're a pony." She had turned Pebble into a pony. "I didn't know I could do that."

Pebble hopped up, excited. "I am a pony," he excited with the newfound ability to speak. "I am a pony, and you are my mom." Pebble was colored the same, easily identified as the same creature, just a pony with a curiously short tail that looked more like a rabbit tail. "I love you."

Sunburst hugged her adopted colt close even as the magic faded and Pebble returned to being a rabbit in her arms, unable to speak further. "I love you too." She nuzzled her little pet, wondering if she should tell Starlight. "I think I'll keep this one to myself for now."

She returned to reading, and Pebble returned to snuggling, and the two enjoyed their morning.


"Sunny!" called Starlight up the stairs. "I have to go to work."

Sunburst came down with Pebble on her head. "Work?"

Starlight cocked a brow. "I help Twilight at her school, remember? I'm a counselor, for the students. They have problems, I fix them, you know?"

Sunburst nodded. "Oh, right. Well, I'll see you later then."

Starlight smiled, leaning in for a kiss. "I'll be back tonight. You two behave."

As she turned to go, she felt magic flow over her, stopping her progress. "Sun?"

Sunburst descended the stairs behind her. "I don't want you to go, at least not alone. Can I help?"

Starlight laughed. "Sure, I guess. I mean, you could be a teacher, but I'm not sure you'd like it."

Sunburst shrugged. "I don't know either, but I want to be with you."

Starlight turned and they nuzzled gently. "But you need to talk to Twilight, not me. She is the headmare and all. I'm a counselor, so unless you're a student with a problem, I can't help you. Now, love you, but let go of me. I take my job seriously."

Sunburst released the magic, letting Starlight go. "I'll see you later."

Starlight waved as she left, leaving Sunburst and Pebble behind.

Sunburst sighed, watching her leave. "Twilight it is." He went to her room and knocked, but no answer came. "Hello?" Nobody answered the call, or any other in the house. She was entirely alone.

"Sunburst?" Except for Spike, who peeked out of his room. "Who are you calling for?"

"I thought I was alone a moment." Sunburst trotted up to Spike with a smile. "Hiya. Any idea where Twilight's hiding?"

"Hey." Spike angled his head. "Probably at the school if I had to guess. Where else would she be this time of day?"

Sunburst shrugged. "I don't know, I'm new here." She smiled at Spike. "But thanks."

Spike shrugged. "Sure. If you're looking for her, you might want to hurry. It's almost lunch time, and she likes to eat with her friends."

Sunburst nodded. "Thanks, again." She turned and headed out, Pebble still on her head. "Well, we're going to the school."

She closed the door behind her and trotted out to look around. The school was in sight of Twilight's castle, so she turned for it and hastily marched up to the bridge leading into the school over a flowing river. "Nice." She nodded to the pleasant sight as she walked over it and into the school proper.

The halls were quiet, the students in their classes. She could distantly hear different teachers giving their lectures. "Hm." She wandered down the hall, looking for signs of life.

"Sunburst?" A voice called from behind her. "What are you doing here?"

Sunburst turned to see a familiar face. "Oh, hi, Rarity. I'm looking for Twilight."

Rarity nodded. "She's in her office, I believe." She stepped closer. "Are you thinking of becoming a teacher, darling?"

Sunburst perked. "Um, maybe? I'm not sure, to be perfectly honest." She rubbed one leg with the other hoof. "I do want to help."

Rarity smiled. "Well, I'm sure we can find a place for you." She waved for Sunburst to follow. "Come along, I'll take you to Twilight."

Sunburst followed after Rarity, looking around the school as she went. She could see student projects on the walls, lockers, any many doors on the way. The school was alive with the impressions of its students. "It's nice around here. Do they learn magic at all?"

"Only the magic of friendship, dear, as a rule." Rarity stopped before a door, waving at it. "And this is Twilight's office, as promised."

Sunburst nodded. "Thanks, Rarity. I'll see you around."

Rarity smiled. "I'm sure you will, dear." She turned and trotted off. "Have a good day."

That left Sunburst at the door. She raised a hoof and knocked on it firmly on the wood. "Twilight?"

"Sunburst?" The door glowed, opening with Twilight's magic. "I didn't expect you to visit. Come inside." She waved for him to enter, seated behind a desk laden with papers. "What can I do for you?"

Sunburst stepped in, looking around the room. There were shelves full of books, a few chairs, and a large window that let in the sunlight. "I wanted to talk about working here."

Twilight pointed to Pebble, resting on Sunburst's head. "Are they going to work here too?" she asked with laughter in her voice.

"N-no." Sunburst pulled Pebble free with her magic and set them down to explore the room with little hops. "I don't think your students want to sit in front of a rabbit, no matter how cute they are."

Twilight nodded. "That's true. So, what did you have in mind?"

Sunburst took a seat. "I don't know, but I want to help. I'm a wizard, I'm good at magic, and I'm pretty sure I can teach it."

Twilight tapped at her chin gently. "This is a school of friendship. Many, most I dare say, of our students aren't unicorns, so teaching them unicorn magic isn't going to help them. What talents do you have outside of magic? I'm certain you have some."

Sunburst frowned, watching Pebble's explorations for a quiet moment. "I have other talents, yes. Um, I've been a royal foalsitter for some time, and I know about magic, beyond unicorn magic. In fact, I've taken quite a liking to many kinds of magic, since I was pretty awful at unicorn magic, until, um, recently."

Author's Note:

Shaky as job interviews go, I think. What job can Sunburst find in the School of Friendship?

Join the special community of folks who like my stories and/or get your own here at atreon!

Don't want to do an ongoing thing? You could

Join my discord to chat!