• Published 13th Oct 2023
  • 420 Views, 36 Comments

The False Goddess - Zoura3025



What happens when one alicorn isn't enough? Bad things happen to make another.

  • ...
2
 36
 420

Act III, Part I: Trials

While Full Cart’s Hollow had enjoyed a surplus of trader activity due to Gustopha’s blessing some months prior, it was still, at its core, a small town out in Equestria’s sticks. So, both princesses arriving with a procession of guards, including a few verdants, whose existence had still not been fully unveiled to the general public, caused some stir in the town. Though, the princesses had their destination, and headed straight there.

Gustopha calmly knocked on the door to the farmhouse and took a small breath as she waited.
Celestia looked to her guards sternly. “Spread among the town, and do not impose,” She instructed, “If I hear word you’ve harassed the townsfolk, discipline will be administered.”
The solar guard nodded and dispersed.
“Is them imposing a standard problem?” Gustopha asked.
“Some of the royal guards get used to the capital’s conditions… I haven’t taken any significantly-sized detachments out with me since the war,” Celestia expressed.
Gustopha nodded a bit. “My guards, you all stay on the farm for the moment,” She requested.
Stoneheart, leader of the detachment she had brought, nodded. “Of course, Princess,” He replied dutifully.

Then, the door opened. It was Oak, who seemed a bit tired. “Ah, Princesses… Please, make yourselves at home. Sequoia’s just upstairs,” He expressed in a hushed tone, stepping aside.
Gustopha gently walked inside, careful not to make too much noise. She could only assume the quiet was something of importance. “It’s nice so see you again, Oak,” She expressed warmly.
Celestia followed inside, looking around the comfortably homey farmhouse. It seemed like it could have comfortably housed a family of six or even eight ponies, nevermind four.
Oak nodded, closing the door softly. “I must say, it’s been a shocking couple of days…” He conceded, “I’ll go tell Sequoia you’re here,” He added, walking quietly up the stairs.

Gustopha took a seat on one of the thick rugs on the floor, and Celestia took a chair. It was a bit small for the alicorn, but Celestia was used to the occasional odd fit, given her height.
Oak returned with Sequoia some minutes later. Hanging from the mare’s mouth was a swaddled bundle of some kind, and she sat on her back to hold it in her front legs.
Gustopha’s head tilted. “Is that the diplomatic piece from the moon?” She asked, still remaining quiet.
Sequoia nodded and partially unwrapped the bundle of linens.
Sleeping in her gently cradled legs was an infant filly, with fur the colour of the moon and a mane in a deep, royal blue. “They said her name’s Halley,” Sequoia explained, her voice nearly a whisper.
Oak nodded, passing a carefully bundled scroll to Gustopha, “She arrived with this letter,” He explained.
Gustopha took it with care and began to read.

“Ponies of Earth,
Carefully nestled in the fine basket you once sent to us is a foal of our own kind. As of sending, she is two years old, and will be turning three come the spring. We send her as our ultimate test of diplomacy: It is our request that in around two decades, Halley is returned to us as a happy, healthy mare. Should she return in an adequate state, we will formally declare peace with all of the earth’s inhabitants. We hope to hear of her safe arrival soon.
Signed, Distant Embassy, Head of the Lunar Outreach Committee, and Princess Luna

P.S.: The fruit was received very well. Thank you so much for the taste of home.”

“They sent a foal as a diplomatic implement… No wonder Luna wanted her to remain a surprise,” Gustopha expressed, passing the letter to Celestia.
Celestia’s eyes widened as she read through the letter. “My goodness…” She trailed off briefly, failing to suppress a small chuckle, “I always knew Luna to be a bit of a historian, but these types of diplomatic exchanges date back a long time… These were used between same-race tribes of ponies before the the three races even lived together, as a way of uniting families,” She expressed softly.
Oak nodded a bit. “I suppose it makes sense… No better way to gauge an ally’s principles than to let them raise your child,” He remarked with a small shrug.
“I can’t imagine sending a foal off on their lonesome, even if you know somepony else will take care of ‘em,” Sequoia expressed with a soft huff.

“It’s the ultimate display of trust,” Celestia explained simply, “I can only assume Luna has faith that she will be raised well.”
Gustopha nodded a bit. “She spoke to me in a dream, a week prior… She seeks diplomacy with the Earth,” Gustopha explained.
Celestia’s eyes widened. “She was able to enter your dreams?” She asked.
Gustopha nodded. “She did mention I was a difficult pony to find… I’ve only dreamt that one time since I woke up from the blight,” Gustopha expressed.
Oak nodded. “Considerin’ we found ya out in the field, I’dve taken ya for the kind who could dream up a hurricane,” He remarked with a soft chuckle.
Sequoia smiled. “You are a deep sleeper, hun,” She added softly.

Speaking of sleeping, the infant foal’s eyes slowly blinked open as she awoke. Halley’s eyes met Sequoia’s, and Sequoia smiled gently down at her.
“Oh, there we are… Did you have a nice nap, Halley?” Sequoia asked gently, leaning down and lightly nuzzling the foal’s snout.
Halley let out some babble in response, blowing a small pbbt with her tongue as Sequoia’s muzzle pulled away.
Gustopha sidled closer to get a better look at the infant. She noted Halley’s hooves: They were particularly wide at the bottom, with a cloven front, similar to a yak’s hooves. They also seemed to be made of a faintly gleaming blue stone rather than natural keratin.
“Would you like to meet the Princess, Halley?” Sequoia asked, tilting Halley just a bit so the infant’s eyes could lock with Gustopha’s.

Gustopha gave Halley a gentle smile. “Hello, little one,” She greeted warmly. A touch ironic, considering she was the second-youngest pony in the room by a landslide, but Halley didn’t know that. “You traveled quite a long way to be here, didn’t you?”
Halley responded with another round of babble, waggling her hooves toward Gustopha. She visibly lurched in Sequoia’s arms, the mare chuckling. “Oh, here we go with the magic again,” Sequoia said gently, holding Halley a bit tighter.
“Magic?” Gustopha asked, tilting her head slightly.
“Every now and again, her weight seems to shift. She’ll be toddlin’ on the floor one minute, the next she’ll sneeze and wind up on the coffee table,” Oak explained.
Sequoia nodded a bit. “I had her sat on the counter while I washed the breakfast dishes this morning, and here she was playin’ with a bubble of dishwater like it was a ball,” She added, “Not for long, though. Had to pick her up and rock her to get her to stop cryin’ when it popped.”

Gustopha nodded slowly. “I see…” She replied softly. Perhaps Luna had attempted a similar style of solution-making to her. Of all things to have in common, Gustopha figured that this was probably up there in terms of obscurity.
Halley waggled her hooves more at Gustopha, and the foal babbled louder.
Sequoia smiled. “I think someone wants t’ see her princess, now,” She chuckled gently, carefully offering Halley to Gustopha.
Sitting more firmly on her hind legs, Gustopha very gingerly took the swaddled up infant, smiling gently at her. “Hello, Halley,” Gustopha greeted gently.
Halley wriggled a little in her bundle of blankets and babbled softly, until she locked eyes with Gustopha. The two ponies shared a good, long stare.

“I don’t know much about you, or what you might be capable of,” Gustopha began, thinking silently to herself, “But I can already tell that you’re very, very special. As long as I live and breathe, I will see to it that none of the harm I know comes to you.”
Halley tilted her head back and forth arrhythmically, as if trying to communicate with the Princess via some silent language.
Gustopha gently stroked the foal’s mane. “She’s quite energetic,” Gustopha observed gently, “I have a feeling she’ll be quite the rambunctious filly.”
Sequoia chuckled. “Dogwood’ll be in good company then,” She joked with a soft laugh.
Halley noticeably perked up at the mention of Dogwood, contributing an excited “Ba-bah!” to the conversation and waggling her hooves around. Gustopha noted how they now appeared visibly damp.
“He’ll be home from school soon, Halley, it’s okay,” Sequoia promised.

“I take it she and Dogwood have already become close?” Gustopha asked, still gently stroking Halley’s mane.
“Oh, he’s been a wonderful big brother. He spent the whole day with her yesterday; even showed her the sunset,” Sequoia expressed.
Gustopha could hear the light twinge of pain in Sequoia’s tone. A memory popped into their mind. They lost a child.
Gustopha looked up a bit. “If I may…” She began hesitantly, “I believe it might be best that she stay in your care.”
Sequoia, Oak, and Celestia all gaped in surprise.
“Stay here with us?” Oak asked, “Surely, you’re, hah… You’re just tryin’ t’ get a rise out of us,” He expressed.

Gustopha sighed a bit. “The castle is no place for a filly to be growing up; from what I’ve seen, much of the capital is still preparing for a second coming of the war,” Gustopha expressed gently, “I fear that moving her to such a critical space might put her in danger.”
Celestia hesitated for a long moment, but nodded gently in agreement.
“Additionally, I do not trust many ponies in the castle staff to care for her properly,” Gustopha expressed, before looking at Sequoia, “But I have been under your care before, and I know you would take good care of her.” She smiled gently.
Sequoia shivered a bit. “Oh, goodness, Princess… We would be honored to take care of such a special foal,” She expressed.
“O’ course, we would expect you to come around now and again to check up on her,” Oak added.
Gustopha smiled. “Of course,” She replied gently, “I will be sure to come by at least a few times a year; if not just to visit her, I’d love to visit you all more.”

Gustopha couldn’t help but feel a bit guilty. She was not in any condition to raise a foal, and as she had said earlier, she did not trust many castle staff to do so. The Groves were the ones she trusted most with such a matter.
Her train of thought was broken as Halley squirmed around in her grip. Gustopha smiled gently. “Do you want to want to play on the floor?” Gustopha asked gently.
Halley babbled and attempted to orient herself towards the floor. Gustopha chuckled softly and gently set Halley down.
It took Halley a moment to wiggle out of her cocoon of blankets, but she began to toddle along once she had.

Celestia smiled and set herself on the floor. “Hello, Halley,” She greeted gently, laying flat on the floor to be at eye level with the foal.
Halley looked at Celestia for a long moment with her big, cyan eyes, and… Began to cry.
Celestia winced a bit as the foal began to wail. Gustopha took note of the fact that, instead of trickling downwards, Halley’s tears pooled on her cheeks.
“Oh dear,” Sequoia began quietly, gently picking up the infant and pulling her close, “Shhh… It’s okay, Halley. Celestia didn’t mean to scare you,” She cooed.
The room was quiet as Sequoia attempted to calm the foal down, but Gustopha briefly shot her adopted sister a sympathetic glance. She had a hunch she knew why Celestia had upset the foal, and it wasn’t the sun princess’ fault; not directly, at least.

Sequoia sighed softly in relief as Halley’s sobbing finally died down, wrapping the infant back up in her blanket as Gustopha hoofed it over.
Celestia bit her lip, remaining on the floor. Gustopha gently paced over and sat next to her, draping a wing over Celestia’s back.
“Well, I suppose it’s understandable she doesn’t like me,” Celestia admitted, looking away.
Sequoia shook her head. “Infants can be fickle, Princess,” She supposed, “I’m sure she will grow to love you in time.”
Gustopha nodded absently, piecing things together in her head.

“...We had thousands of ponies who needed food, and water…”

Water. Something Halley seemed to be in control over; if limitedly, due to her age. She wondered what sort of abilities Luna might have imparted on moon ponies to make the moon more hospitable for them. In a way, it was similar to her own experience with the verdants. Another thought echoed to her mind: The hubris of alicorns, as described by the blight itself. Herself, the blight, the verdants, and now these moon ponies. How much further could Equestria be pushed before it broke? Gustopha hoped they were closer to the floor than the ceiling.

Oak looked at her. “You seem mighty deep in thought, Gustopha,” He remarked.
“There’s much thought to be deep in, at the moment,” Gustopha admitted, “A lot of very important things, happening in short order.”
Celestia nodded. “As she said earlier, the capital has been quite busy… In no small part due to her work on blight countermeasures,” She expressed, briefly looking at Gustopha, “She has been quite busy over the past few weeks.”
Gustopha nodded, resting her head on the floor and exhaling deeply.
Oak smiled. “Why don’t you two stick around a day or two?” He asked softly, “Sounds like you could use some time away from the bustle of the capital.”
Celestia hesitated. “That’s very kind of you, Mr. Grove, but I’m afraid the capital is a bit too tumultuous for me to be spending some leisure time,” She expressed.

Gustopha’s mind was occupied with how busy she’d be for the foreseeable future. Perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to rush the diplomacy with the moonfolk. “I have tasks I must fulfill for the court,” Gustopha admitted, “I’d love to spend some time with you all, but I’m not sure I have a good opportunity…”
Celestia shook her head. “Luna established diplomatic contact with you, not me,” She reasoned, “You can afford to at least stay the night. The court doesn’t have to know you missed a couple of days.”
“What’s so important that her absence would be felt in such a way?” Oak asked, cocking a brow.
Gustopha hesitated. “I’m in charge of developing ways of fighting the blight. It has been going well, but I’ve put myself in a position where I am the only pony capable of making them,” She admitted.
Oak nodded. “I see…” He replied, “Well, we can’t keep you here, but we’d appreciate the company.”

Gustopha nodded slowly. “I’ll stay the night, at least,” She expressed, “But I’ll likely have to leave tomorrow morning.”
Sequoia smiled. “Well, we’d be happy to have you, even if just for a brief visit,” She expressed.
Gustopha nodded a bit. “Alright,” She replied gently, briefly looking at Celestia, “You’re sure it will be alright if I stay here?” She asked.
Celestia smiled. “I’m positive, Gustopha,” She insisted.
Gustopha hesitantly nodded. “Very well,” She replied gently, “I’ll stay the night, then. Thank you for hosting me.”
Oak smiled. “No problem,” He replied, “I’m sure the kids’ll be happy to see you again.”
Celestia stood up and stretched, heaving gently. “I believe I should be going, now. I will see you soon, sister,” She bade gently, lightly pressing her muzzle to Gustopha’s.

“It was an honor to see you again, Princess,” Sequoia expressed, “We’ll take good care of Gustopha, and Halley.”
Celestia smiled. “I’m certain you will,” She replied warmly.
“Celestia?” Gustopha asked.
Celestia blinked. “Yes, Gustopha?” She asked.
“Take my guards with you on the trip back. I will fly my way back,” Gustopha explained.
Celestia simply nodded. “I will,” She replied calmly, carefully leaving the home.
“Buh-buh!” Halley babbled, waggling her hooves at Celestia as the door closed.
Oak chuckled. “Oh, sure, now you act all friendly,” He teased, tickling the foal’s chest.
Halley giggled and babbled more, lightly slapping at the stallion’s hoof.

Gustopha definitely enjoyed the calm atmosphere the house provided her. It did genuinely relax her… Just getting away from all the demands and interaction of the capital put her mind at ease. Perhaps this was just what she needed, now that her schedule was fuller than ever.
Some time into the afternoon, the door opened.
“Ma, pa, we’re home,” Willow announced, her voice soft.
Gustopha perked up, drawing herself to a sitting posture and smiling gently. “Welcome home,” She greeted softly.
Dogwood’s eyes lit up. He practically tackled the Princess, hugging her tightly. “Gustopha!” He yipped excitedly.
Gustopha smiled a bit, hugging back. “Hello, Dogwood,” She greeted warmly, before looking up to the more reserved filly behind him, “And Willow, of course.”

“Didja see the baby?” Dogwood asked, his mother quietly “shhh”ing from across the room.
Gustopha smiled wider, and nodded. “I did, yes,” She replied, “And I’ve heard you’ve been a good big brother.”
Dogwood nodded. “Her and I went out an’ played in the field last night,” He explained, voice softening.
“Still didn’t keep her asleep until morning, though,” Willow murmured softly, walking up the stairs.
Gustopha’s smile faltered a bit. She supposed the baby wouldn’t be loved by everyone, but it was still a bit disheartening.

“Can I play with Halley, ma?” Dogwood asked, trotting up the couch to greet Halley. He yipped as he was greeted with one of Halley’s hooves smacking his snout lightly, making it wrinkle a bit.
“I don’t see why not,” Sequoia said gently, “Why don’t you and the Princess take her to get some fresh air?”
Dogwood nodded. “Okay!” He replied, carefully grabbing the corners of the blanket bundling Halley up with his mouth to take her outside.
Gustopha smiled, following Dogwood out into the field.
Once they were out in the warm autumn sun, Dogwood gently set the foal down so she could wriggle out of her bundle.

Dogwood smiled at Halley, lightly tapping his nose to hers.
Halley looked at him with big, confused eyes, and tilted her head back and forth again.
Dogwood giggled and attempted to mimic the movements.
Gustopha smiled. “Are you getting anything from all that?” She asked with a soft chuckle, setting herself down next to the two young ponies.
“I think it’s her tryin’ to decide if she likes somethin’,” Dogwood replied, “She always does it around new things.”
Gustopha nodded a bit. “I see,” She replied gently, “So she hasn’t decided on fairy kisses yet.”
“Fairy kisses?” Dogwood asked, looking up at her.
“Do foals not call a nose-to-nose tap fairy kisses anymore?” Gustopha asked, blinking once or twice. She hadn’t even had her eleventh birthday; surely she wasn’t already old?
“I di’n’t know there was a name for ‘em. Ma always just called ‘em nose taps,” Dogwood replied.

Gustopha smiled. “Ah, I see. Don’t mind me, then,” Gustopha excused.
“I like fairy kisses better,” Dogwood replied, “A nose tap could also be punchin’ someone in the nose.” He yipped as his point was affirmed by Halley smacking his nose again.
“Like that?” Gustopha asked with a small chuckle.
Dogwood snorted a little and giggled. “Hey… Halley, I thought we said you shouldn’t hit ponies anymore,” He huffed.
Halley babbled a little, tapping her two front hooves to his nose more gently this time.

Dogwood smiled. “That’s better,” He replied, “Gentle.”
“Geggle,” Halley repeated, wiping her hooves on Dogwood’s snout.
Dogwood nodded. “Gen-tle,” He corrected.
“Geng-gle,” Halley repeated again.
Dogwood giggled. “Close enough,” He supposed.

Gustopha smiled a bit, watching as the two young ponies interacted. She wasn’t worried that Halley would go unloved around the farm to begin with, but she was more confident now more than ever.
Dogwood huffed a bit as Halley began toddling away from the house. “Hey, Halley! Don’t go wandering off now!” He said, trotting to catch up with her.
Gustopha stood and followed them. She briefly felt a sinking feeling in her stomach, and hastened to catch up with the two young ones.
Halley approached a tree and lightly slapped her hooves against the side of the trunk.
“You want a piece of fruit, Halley?” Dogwood asked.
Halley babbled in reply, and Dogwood giggled. “Alright, I’ll knock something down for you,” He said.
Gustopha watched as he bucked at the tree, felling a handful of apples and cherries. It seemed the peach parts of the trees had already begun to go dormant.

More curiously, the fruits seemed to slow in the air, falling diagonally to the side rather than straight down. Halley’s hooves were faintly illuminated, and she excitedly clapped them as the fruit tumbled awkwardly towards the ground.
Dogwood leapt to catch one of the falling apples, catching it in his mouth before bringing it over to Halley. As Halley’s focus drifted to the colt, the rest of the fruits tumbled to the ground at a more normal pace, her hooves dimming.
Dogwood carefully bit off a sliver of apple and offered it to Halley, who took it with a small “om”.
Dogwood’s eyes drifted to the princess, then followed her intense gaze to the end of the field. Through the rows of trees, he could see what looked like a pony, but they seemed off. Their body was somewhat misshapen, and they had undeniable signs of mold growing over them. More pressingly, they didn’t have eyes: Just vacant, glittering hollows.

“Dogwood,” Gustopha began firmly, “Take Halley and get her inside,” She requested.
Dogwood looked back to her. “Why, what’s wrong?” He asked, tilting his head town and scooping Halley up onto his back.
“Blight,” Gustopha sneered, beginning to charge towards the odd pony.
Dogwood watched with wide eyes as Gustopha’s horn illuminated into a bright, white aura, blasting away the misshapen creature in a burst of light. Its body broke apart into dirt and mist.
The ferocity in Gustopha’s gaze and actions told the colt everything he needed to know. He took the apple and the moon filly and ran.

He yelped as his path was blocked by two of the ponies forming before him. One in the shape of an earth pony, and the other in the shape of a pegasus, with wings made of matted, rotting leaves.
“Shhh… Don’t worry, boy,” The earth pony purred in a deep, almost hissing tone.
“We are only here for the filly you hold,” The pegasus added.
Dogwood backed away nervously. “I-I can’t let you have ‘er,” He stammered uncomfortably.
The two molding ponies slowly stepped forward. “Now, now. We’re friends of the Princess. We’re just here to make sure little Halley got here safely,” The earth pony cooed.
“W-well, she did! So you lot j-jus’ run along now!” Dogwood squeaked, trying to put on a brave face.
Laughter echoed around Dogwood, and he glanced around nervously. The two ponies before him were now joined by two more, encroaching on his sides.

“Enough!” Bellowed a female voice. Dogwood watched as a streak slammed into the pegasus, smashing it into the ground in a brief flash of golden light. The object was another pegasus, clad in bronze armor; this one was a real pony.
“Begone, foul beasts!” A stallion’s voice called as he slammed his hooves into one of the other moldy ponies, blasting it into dirt and mist like the princess had.
The two real adult ponies put a swift end to the other two fakes.
Dogwood watched with wide eyes. He recognized the armor as terran guards’ attire, and he was definitely thankful they were here.

“Phew,” Huffed the real pegasus, turning to Dogwood. “Are you two okay?”
Halley had seemed oddly calm about this situation, and Dogwood realized why as she started to snore atop his head. She’d partially wrapped herself in his mane, and in the process, found herself comfortable enough to fall asleep.
“We are, but the Princess…” Dogwood trailed off, pointing to the edge of the field, where Gustopha’s horn glowed brightly as she faced down a small horde of the misshapen, moldy ponies.
The stallion turned to the pegasus. “Get them to the house. I’ll help the Princess,” He instructed.
The pegasus nodded. “Come with me, okay? I’ll get you home,” She expressed.
Dogwood nodded a bit, following after the armored pegasus.

“Wh-what’s your name, miss?” Dogwood asked, still rattled by the brief encounter.
“Aerated Turf,” She replied, “Don’t worry. We won’t let the blight get at you.”
Dogwood nodded a little, quickening his pace as Aerated quickened hers.
Some more blight creatures drew up from the ground to try and block their way, but they were blasted away by a bright flash of light as a unicorn flickered into view.
“They’re after the moon filly,” Aerated remarked, “We get her and the colt inside, then you stand guard, okay?”
The unicorn nodded. “Where’s Stoneheart?” She asked.
“He’s out helping the Princess,” Aerated replied.
Dogwood followed the two mares to his home, where they helped him inside.

“Lock this door,” Aerated instructed a somewhat rattled-looking Oak, “Don’t let anypony convince you to open it through voice alone. Talk to them through a window if you have to.”
Oak nodded. “Alright,” He replied, “We’ll keep the house locked down.”
The unicorn nodded. “I’ll be making sure none of the blight creatures try to break their way in outside,” She explained.
Oak nodded a bit, closing the door and locking it.

Stoneheart panted a bit as he ran to catch up to the Princess. He wasn’t used to active duty with his plant components yet, and the weight on his aft half messed with his running posture some. Nonetheless, he charged forward, slamming his hooves into a blight creature that was attempting to flank the Princess as she cut through droves of its fellows.
“Princess!” Stoneheart called, slamming his hooves into another set of blight creatures and blowing them away.
“Stoneheart!” Gustopha called back, “I thought I’d sent you home with Celestia!”
“You did! We’re just bad at listening,” He heaved, rushing forward to meet the alicorn.
Gustopha smiled a small smile. “Thank goodness for that,” She remarked, “Are Dogwood and Halley alright?” She asked.

“I sent them with Aerated,” He explained.
“Just how many of you stayed behind?” Gustopha asked, horn erupting into a bight aura as she blasted away dozens of the horde, purifying the land. She had the blight on the defensive now, and it was rapidly losing ground as glowing cracks webbed outwards to drive it back.
“Precipice hid herself, Aerated, and I with an invisibility spell when Celestia came to dismiss us. We didn’t want you left alone in case something happened,” He explained.
Gustopha smiled. “Well, I’m glad you didn’t listen to my orders, then,” She expressed.
The magical aura radiated outward, ripping blight from the soil and purifying it as it was rent so.

Aerated Turf landed at the Princess’ other side, shaking herself off. “Ugh… They’re cropping up all around the farm,” She heaved.
“I purified this whole region only a few months ago. If it’s moving back in, there’s a reason,” Gustopha remarked.
“It’s the moon filly,” Aerated replied, “I saw the way the creatures looked at her.”
Gustopha’s eyes widened. It didn’t take her long to come up with a reasonable theory. “They’re after Luna’s magic,” She explained, “The blight has her magic, and now it wants more.”
Stoneheart and Aerated’s eyes widened. “The blight has Luna’s magic?” Aerated asked.
Gustopha nodded. “She told me herself,” She explained, horn igniting hotter as her influence spread out to cover more of the land. It had been a while since Gustopha had last cleared the blight by her own magic, and now it felt easier than ever. She quickly blew through the blight’s presence, splashing it away as harmless wisps of silvery clouds.

Her horn’s aura was blown out eventually, and Gustopha heaved a bit. “There… That should keep it at bay for the time being,” She expressed.
“So, what’s this about the blight having Luna’s magic?” Aerated asked, walking to Gustopha’s side to help her up.
“Luna explained to me that during the blight’s creation, her magic was used to bind the constituent diseases together,” She explained, “However, in the haste of war, she bestowed alicorn magic onto it, not just the required spell. I believe that’s why it can achieve sentience when it congregates. In essence… Imagine if I bestowed alicorn magic onto Stoneheart when I first grafted the Blightsbane to him.”
“Can you even do that?” Aerated asked in disbelief.
“In theory, I could, but I don’t, because that kind of power would blow a normal pony’s body apart,” Gustopha replied, “Plus, it would be very irresponsible. However, if one were, say, an angered ruler on the losing side of a war, and the subject were a disease capable of spreading its influence to handle its growing power…” She trailed off.

Stoneheart sighed a bit. “I see,” He replied, “Let’s get back to the house… Should we plant some Blightsbane pods, Princess?” He asked.
Gustopha nodded. “We’ll talk to the Groves first, but then, yes. They are going to be caring for Halley, who will be crucial in our diplomatic ties with the moon,” She explained.
Aerated Turf’s eyes widened. “You’re trying to ally with Luna? After she released a bio-weapon that threatens all of Equestria!?” She asked incredulously as they began walking back to the house.
Gustopha winced slightly at the harshness in Aerated’s tone, but nodded.
“It is better to cool the iron than to burn oneself again, Aerated Turf,” Stoneheart hummed, “Would you rather we have to fight in another war?”

Aerated Turf huffed. “Well, no,” She replied in a low tone, “But surely she can’t just be pardoned for all the pain and death she’s caused.”
“Just punishment for a crime and peace are not mutually exclusive,” Gustopha expressed, “For now, it is less about Luna, and more about all the other ponies that were banished to the moon.”
Aerated blinked. “The moon ponies?” She asked.
“If you were to be tried for how many enemy soldiers your killed during the war, how many counts of murder would you be tried for, Aerated?” Gustopha asked.
Aerated froze. “...Only two, but…” She trailed off hesitantly.
“But you were not sentenced to the punishment for that, because you were a soldier under orders. Correct?” Gustopha asked.

Aerated nodded. “Yeah, that’s why every soldier was pardoned at the end of the war,” She expressed.
“Don’t you think all the soldiers who fought under Luna’s command deserve that chance, too?” Gustopha asked, voice now soft.
Aerated hesitated, and took a long moment to think. Stoneheart spoke up before her. “I do, Princess,” The stallion expressed, “I knew several good, honorable soldiers who loved their country; soldiers who fell under Luna’s banner when tensions broke. I’d like to think they’d be absolved of the blood on their hooves the same as I was.”
Aerated hesitantly nodded in agreement.
“Then you understand why I aim for diplomacy with the moon,” Gustopha replied gently, “We now face a threat that will someday become too strong for us to fight ourselves. When that time comes, we will need the strength of others.”
Aerated and Stoneheart nodded.

Precipice was panting a bit hard as the three ponies returned to the yard. “No one has gone in or out since Dogwood and the filly were put inside,” She explained dutifully.
Gustopha smiled gently at her, leaning forward and touching horns with the unicorn, imparting some magic into Precipice to help her catch her breath.
Precipice took a deep breath as she felt her weariness ease. She looked up at the Princess with an odd expression; almost as though she were daydreaming.

Gustopha leaned away. “Thank you for your service, Precipice. The bulk should be cleared for the time being,” She expressed.
Precipice shook herself off. “Of course, Princess.”
Aerated Turf flew into view of one of the windows and knocked gently.
Oak came to the door, brandishing a shovel in one hoof. Gustopha saw the terror in his eyes; the terror of a father worried for his family.

Gustopha gave him a soft smile. “It’s okay,” She promised, “The blight should be gone for a while… With your permission, we’d like to plant some Blightsbane trees around your home; they will ward off the blight, should it ever attempt an attack like this again,” She explained.
Oak nodded. “Do whatever you need, Princess,” He replied, voice completely devoid of the jovial, warm tone she knew him for.
Gustopha nodded to her guards. They prepared to spread the seed pods from Stoneheart’s branches, and Gustopha gently walked inside to check on the family.