• Published 2nd Oct 2023
  • 420 Views, 71 Comments

Family Trip - TheKing2001



Sunset goes on a strictly family only roadtrip, learning about her mother and aunts in the process

  • ...
0
 71
 420

Chapter IV


Sunset


I sat across from my aunts and Mom as we all stared at the fire in the pit. It was pitch black out, but the fire at least allowed us to see each other.

We faintly made out the laughing of my siblings and cousin nearby.

“If you four want marshmallows, you better come get them!” Aunt Minuette called out with a smirk. “Quickest way to get children to you is to offer them sugar.”

“Not too much sugar. It’s late and I’m trying to wind Ruby down,” Aunt Berry said as she tossed a marshmallow in her mouth.

“Look at you being all responsible,” Aunt Cherry teased with a smug grin. Aunt Berry threw a small stick at her.

“Bite me.”

The four younger girls came out of the darkness and sat down around us.

“What was it like growing up for you all?” Diamond asked curiously as I watched the flames reflect on her face. The four fell silent as we watched them curiously.

“I’ll tell you later,” Aunt Berry grumbled as she handed her daughter a marshmallow with a metal pole. “We’re having a decent few days and I don’t wanna ruin it.”

“Mine was good,” Aunt Minuette said hastily. “Dad was a clock maker, mom was a dentist. I was called Colgate for a bit because of my hair. Hated the nickname. I only let Berry, Cheerilee and Cherry Berry call me it. Anyone else I yelled at over it. You all better brush your teeth after this by the way, especially you Ruby.”

“We will,” Ruby commented as she stuck her marshmallow over the fire. “It’s my goal to get it golden brown like Aunt Cherry can.”

“Good look,” Mom said as she watched. “No one has ever managed to beat her skill at it. Lucky.”

“Fire is a gift from God,” Scootaloo muttered as she rotated her stick above the fire. “What’s it like to walk over a fire?”

“Firewalkers are a thing,” I said as I bit into some chocolate. “They walk barefoot over hot coals. Crazy people.”

“This is surprisingly good,” Silver Spoon said. “We never went camping growing up like this. Camp Everfree was one of for first times we went.”

“We never had the bits in Equestria for vacations like this. We were busy working. Like Spitfire, Sunburst and I. Mom or well my Equestrian mom was busy working too,” I said and Mom flicked her eyes to me. “It’s nice. To get out here with you all.”

“You said it,” Aunt Berry smirked and looked around at the woods. “Lot of memories here. Some good, some bad and some great.”

“Nice to include you all in them too,” Aunt Cherry added. “You can bring your children here one day if you have any. Provided you’re into guys Silver Spoon and Scootaloo.”

“I hope they are,” Mom grumbled as she flicked me. “They’re my only hope for grandchildren.”

“Well uh actually there’s a spell in Equestria that can help with that,” I muttered sheepishly as they all looked at me. “It gives the mare a temporary well you know and it goes after they finish.”

“Finish what?” Scootaloo asked and I turned a brighter shade of red.

“Nothing,” Mom said as the others had blushes of their own. “I’ll tell you girls one day. I have a feeling it’ll be soon, based on what Sunset said.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll tell you all later. Makes everything easier to explain when she and Derpy are there.”

“Okay then,” Ruby said as I laughed at her sticky face and hands. Mom tossed her a container of wet wipes. “Alright come on let’s play hide and seek. I’ve been scouting out the best hiding spots.”

“Alright,” I said with a shrug and stood up. “You count.”

Scootaloo, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon and I took off running as I watched Aunt Berry kneeling next to Ruby. Presumably helping her count. I looked around and shrugged, starting to climb a tree. Hopefully she didn’t find me up here.


She found me up. Kid was scary good at watching her surroundings.

I unzipped the tent and stumbled inside, collapsing on my sleeping bag as Mom put her book down to zip the tent back up.

“Can I ask a question?” I asked as Mom looked at me.

“Yeah sure go for it.”

“Why are you single? I mean you’re an attractive woman, you’re in your twenties, you have a decent job. What’s up?” I asked curiously as Mom blushed.

“Well firstly thanks for calling me attractive. Secondly, I don’t know. I pretty much got everything I want in life so.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean I got you, Scootaloo, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. I got my sisters, I got Ruby and I got Minuette. What else do I need? I’m happy as is.”

I smiled and opened my mouth to speak as a loud scream startled us. We looked at each other side stumbled out of the tent.

“What the hell was that?” Aunt Berry demanded as she stood up next to the fire with Aunt Minuette.

“Came from Scootaloos tent,” Aunt Cherry pointed a finger and we rushed over there. Scootaloo sat inside and rubbed her eyes. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine! Why wouldn’t I be?” Scootaloo asked and forced a smile as I narrowed my eyes slightly. She was an awful liar.

“We heard you scream. What’s going on?” Mom asked and folded her arms.

“I was uh practicing my vocals!” Scootaloo said and I paused before reaching out to her. “Don’t you touch me. I know you got that memory seeing pendant on.”

I froze with an outstretched as we all looked at each other.

“I’m fine. I was just playing around. Honestly. I’m sorry for scaring you.”

“Uh huh,” I muttered and folded my arms. Everyone shrugged and walked away except Mom and Aunt Cherry.

“She’s lying,” Mom said and glanced at us.

“Absolutely.”

“We will figure it out.”

Hopefully without me using my pendant. Unsurprisingly, people who knew about it’s abilities didn’t like having their memories read.