• Published 2nd Oct 2023
  • 406 Views, 2 Comments

In His Image - daOtterGuy



Flash Magnus bargains for the Flame of Prometheus to save his people

  • ...
0
 2
 406

Preparation

“You scared, Magnus?” Grimhoof, a large blue-grey pegasus stallion with a brutish appearance, jeered. “Got your wings tied in knots thinking about the dark?”

“I have no fear of the dark.” Flash narrowed his eyes as he drew himself up to his full height, coming only up to Grim’s chest. “You should be more concerned about yourself. I can smell the stink of piss on your leg.”

A snarl. “What did you just say?”

“That you pissed yourself because you have the courage of a field mouse, Grim.”

“Say something to me like that again and I’ll break your damn wings.”

“I’d like to see you try.” Flash released a sharp bark of laughter. “You have the strength of a newborn foal.”

Grim tensed, ready to launch himself at Flash. He was stopped by two wings shoving them apart. The angry face of Ironhead followed shortly after.

“Knock it off!” Ironhead shouted. “Get your heads focused on the mission.”

“He started—” Both said.

“I don’t care!” Split interrupted. “Get ready for the flight or I’ll have you both removed from the fleet and sent out into the wilds to fend for yourselves.”

Flash and Grim glared at each other. Grim snorted and pulled back first. He stomped toward the other side of camp.

“I didn’t need you to interfere,” Flash said.

“That’s not the point!” Ironhead retorted. “You are slated to be a captain and you can’t be getting into fights with other troops.” He jabbed a feather into Flash’s chest. “Smarten up.”

Before Flash could reply, Ironhead stomped off, hollering out orders to grunts as he trotted away. Flash snorted at his retreating form.

“Why does he keep picking fights with you?”

Flash noticed Tailwind approach out of the corner of his eye. “Because he’s a goon,” he remarked.

“He seems particularly goonish to you, though.”

“Probably because we used to date and he never forgave me for ending things with him.”

“You and he—”

“What do you want, Tail?” Flash interrupted.

“I was just checking in.” Tailwind harrumphed. “But if you’re going to be a jerk about it…”

“Sorry. I’m just under a lot of stress.” Flash sighed. “There’s so many sick and the only way we can cure them is if we go—” He stared across the yard at the gaping blackness of the canyon as it swallowed the light into its depths. He felt a stirring of fear in his chest that he quickly squashed. “We need to find it. For the people of Filoplume.”

“It is rather risky going into the depths of Caucasus.” Tailwind eyed the canyon entrance wearily alongside Flash. “Be careful.”

“I will.”