• Published 2nd Oct 2023
  • 406 Views, 2 Comments

In His Image - daOtterGuy



Flash Magnus bargains for the Flame of Prometheus to save his people

  • ...
0
 2
 406

Emerge

Flash Magnus stepped out from the darkness. His ears filled with the sound of cracking as sharp pain radiated through his body. Blood flowed freely from the wounds. New, gaping cuts had opened along his body from where the noise was loudest. He grit his teeth, pushing through the pain. He had too much to do and too little time to do it.

The flame inside him served as a reminder. He could feel it burning, blazing in time to the frantic beating of his heart. It enveloped him wholly with its searing heat. He kept upright through grit and determination alone.

“Magnus!” Tailwind called out. She galloped toward him.

“Don’t!” Flash roared, his throat burned, cracked from the flame he carried. “Stay there!”

“What?!” Tailwind stopped. “W-what’s—”

“Stay away from the canyon. It’s not safe.” He trudged forward, teeth grit, each step releasing a series of painful pops under his skin. “No one else can enter.”

“Why? I thought—” Tailwind’s eyes widened in panic. “What about the flame? The rest of the team?”

“I have his flame,” Flash growled. Tailwind took a step back from the venom in his voice. “But I don’t have much time left. I need you to clear the way so I can cure the sick before I change completely.”

“Change? What change?” Flash, you aren’t making any sense! What is—”

Flash stepped out of the shade of the canyon, revealing the state of his body. Tailwind released an involuntary scream.

“What happened to you?!”

He growled, sharp teeth stabbing through the gums of a mouth ill-suited for them. More blood flowed from the new wounds. His hooves made heavy thuds, heavier than any pegasus. They matched his bigger body. His fur had darkened, extenuating the thick scars that crisscrossed his body. They pulsated, glowing a menacing red.

Tailwind took a step back, her wings flapping in a panic. Magnus knew why. She was reacting not to a friend, but a predator. A primal instinct to run from one who would do her harm. Luckily for her, he was still himself. At least, for now.

“I know how this looks, Tail, but I don’t have time to explain,” Flash said, trying to sound reassuring despite the pain that encompassed him. “Just make sure everyone stays out of my way.”

Flash continued onward, trotting past Tailwind and toward the makeshift hospital at the back of the base. Tailwind ran after him.