• Published 28th Aug 2023
  • 1,238 Views, 138 Comments

Friendship Is Optimal: Changing Tides - Boopy Doopy



Satisfaction may be a guarantee for those living in Equestria, but it becomes increasingly more difficult to secure for those left behind on Earth. Unfortunately for Candle Light, her life is intertwined between Earth and Equestria.

  • ...
13
 138
 1,238

The Colour And The Shape

Daphne woke up in a home that was cold. Terribly cold. She shivered and kept her eyes closed, clenching her jaw as she pulled the blanket up tight around her.

“Urph… quit hogging all the cover,” the companion next to her complained, stealing some of the blanket back for himself. “You need to get up for work soon, anyway, Daffie. It’s probably already six-thirty.” There went the idea of any extra sleep she might have wanted.

Daphne forced her eyes open as she sat up in bed, arms wrapped around her bare chest as she shivered. How could it still be so cold? Wasn’t it March? She let out a frigid breath, one that came out in a wispy trail of fog. It was probably below freezing outside—not quite as cold as it was a few months ago, but it still brought the temperature indoors down to a crisp forty degrees. Shouldn’t there have been more gas available for heating with most of the world dead, especially in North Dakota? But instead it was being rationed. Not so little that people to die of hypothermia, but it certainly wasn’t enough to make things comfortable, save for a handful of days a month.

It was days like this she missed Arizona. Pete probably did, too, she had to assume. Unbearably hot most days in the summer, but then how many days a year was the high temperature below seventy degrees? Not like North Dakota, where warmth came only a few months per year.

And her family, too. Of course she missed her family. But there was no chance they were coming back. It had been so long…

Daphne rolled her neck and shook loose her stiff limbs before she hopped into the shower. Lukewarm water was what she went with for a few minutes before she dried off and got dressed for another long day. It was her and Pete’s ‘on’ week, which meant seven days in a row of exhausting twelve hour shifts. Pete was the driller, she was a roughneck. Daphne would rather have his job, but that required actually knowing what you were doing and being good at your job. Daphne was not. She was pretty sure she only still had a job due to lack of people around anymore.

What could she say though? It wasn’t like she’d been dreaming of working on an oil rig in North Dakota since she was a little kid. A mid level manager at a store chain was probably her dream job, silly as it was. Sitting around in an office all day and making sure other people were doing what they were supposed to do would’ve been easy enough. It didn’t require a degree, it made a lot of money, and it was what her father did.

But he was gone now, and almost nothing required a degree anymore. The world today was nothing like it was before. It was barely hanging on.

It was a few minutes before she was fully dressed in a boring long sleeved shirt and blue jeans and sat back down on the bed. Pete stirred again, then turned his head to look her up and down. “You look good,” he said as he checked her out.

She rolled her eyes, but smirked slightly at the comment. Then, a moment later, she was being pulled down for a kiss on her lips. Daphne didn't refuse it, but she was never the one to initiate. Sometimes she wondered if he noticed, but Pete never brought it up. Even now, he smiled up at her with a wide, dopey looking grin.

I didn't make a mistake, she told herself silently. This is what's right.

Pete reached his hand up to touch Daphne's stomach and rub it carefully. There wasn't much of a bump there yet, but there would be soon. It was times like this—especially right now—where she genuinely wondered if this was all a mistake. This? This wasn't the life she wanted, or even expected. A world without her family, without much of a world at all, where she worked all day every day just to get by wasn't one she wanted to be in. Why the heck had she gone to North Dakota of all places? Why didn't she just listen to Candle Light and follow Steven and Liana?

If Equestria was real, she wouldn’t have a body that would get pregnant and give birth.

“Are you okay, Daffie?” Pete asked carefully as she flopped onto her side and curled up in bed again. He rubbed her shoulder gently as tears began to stream down her cheeks. All she'd done since her father got cancer was make bad decisions. And even worse; she knew if her dad showed up, right here, right now, and gave her a do-over, or offered to take her to Equestria, she'd still make the wrong choices.

“Hey, hey,” Pete said quietly, a reassuring tone in his voice. “It'll be fine. I know things are bad right now, but it won't be forever. Pretty soon, we'll have our own little family, and things will be better. Doesn't that sound nice?”

This wasn't how she wanted it. She wanted her family. Her dad most of all.

“Yeah,” she lied, voice cracking as she wiped her eyes and cleared her throat. “I hope so. Thank you.”

Pete smiled again. “We just need to be careful. Like staying away from those vans and stuff and making sure we're not being listened in on through computers. But we'll get through it. Humanity will get back to where it was before.”

No it wouldn't. Even Daphne knew that by this point. Humanity was too far gone. There was almost no one left—even if almost no one still meant a few dozen million people in America. And it was still dwindling. Even here in Williston, someone made their way over to the vans that drove by and uploaded. It happened at least once a day, now that the Experience Centers were gone.

No, this was only going to end in extinction. Whether it would happen next year or next century, Daphne didn't know, but it would happen. Celestia won the second they allowed people to upload. Or maybe even before then.

Daphne smiled sadly, and lied again. “Yeah, we'll get through it.” She didn't believe it, just like she didn't believe in Equestria.

She has no more outbursts after that. Pete fell back to sleep, and Daphne headed out the door by the time six o'clock rolled around. She touched her stomach gingerly, and sighed. No, she didn't want this. She didn't want any of this at all.

How long had it been by now? Two years since she left Arizona? Three? She didn't know, but it felt like forever ago. She barely even knew Pete, and went to him anyway. But then where else was she supposed to go? She had no living relatives, and all her friends were gone, too. She couldn't stand the thought of being alone, and Pete seemed like the type that would make sure she wasn't.

And just like always, she was too passive. She basically let him walk right up and put himself into a relationship with her. She never really said no, even if she wasn’t really happy with it. Not that Pete wasn’t nice enough, but still. Maybe part of it was PTSD, and needing someone, anyone in her life to stay with her.

Maybe her father would come back and try to convince her again to emigrate. Maybe she'd listen this time.

Probably not though, on both counts. That was nothing but a stupid fairy tale. Daphne was way too old for those anymore, no matter how bad she wanted them to be real. Pete was better than nothing anyway.

Work was just as boring and tiresome as usual, this one spent inspecting equipment with nothing to load or unload for now. Her clothes were always dirty and greasy and stunk at the end of the day, and there wasn't much talking she did with other people on the job. It was only a means to an end in this case, and she wouldn't be able to do it in a few months anyway. Then Pete would work every day in her place while she took care of an infant. What a life.

What would she do in a place like Equestria? She didn't know, and never would. Not live like this though. Or maybe she would, since she couldn't make one correct decision to save her life. Or anyone else's for that matter.

Another boring, tiring day passed by before six thirty in the evening rolled around and Daphne trudged back home through the cold. Pete wouldn't be back for a couple of hours, so she spent the time using precious water for a second shower and their allowance of oil to heat the house to a more comfortable temperature. Then she flopped onto her back on the bed to stare up at the ceiling with a listless expression. It wasn't like there was anything to do besides read books she already read several times before, what with the ban on most forms of technology. There was a TV and VCR with old movies, a GameCube with multiplayer games and no one to play them with, and largely nothing else. Things that could access the internet were highly regulated. Not illegal, but an interview and a counseling session or three would follow if you were caught with something. You'd probably be shunned and talked about behind your back, too.

Pete came home around nine o'clock at night and asked her about her day while discussing his, like he always did. Then an hour or two later, they retired for the night, with Daphne facing away from him and towards the door in bed, like she was expecting someone to walk through at any moment. Someone who would finally get it through to her that this wasn't what she should be doing and that she needed to take the leap, even if it was a scary one. Or better yet, to say that they didn't care whether she believed or not, that they were telling her to do it whether they liked it or not. Hopefully before too long passed, and things just became harder for her, like they always seemed to do.

No one ever did though. Instead, Pete wrapped his arms around her and affirmed his love as she drifted off to sleep. Maybe tomorrow she'd feel like what she chose was correct.

Maybe.