• Published 26th Aug 2023
  • 208 Views, 84 Comments

Alicorn Kings and Better Things - RandomCommentor



Long ago, there was a great Alicorn Empire… its rulers werent that great.

  • ...
 84
 208

Chapter Seven: Answers

Focus: Ventian, Rose

“What. The hell. Was that?!”

As Ventian and Rose remain staring at each other in confusion and fear respectively, Ventian thinks of the only possibility.

Shes a changeling isn't she? I mean, I guess I couldn't have known, as changelings are masters of disguise and deception, but really? Rose? And I thought Vedaria had secrets.

Rose begins to stutter out an attempt at a response. “I- im- you can- I mean- I can explain?”

“Tell me.” Ventian demands.

Rose suddenly becomes slightly confused. “Tell you… what?”

“What are you?” Ventian tries his best to make a straight face.

“You know what I am…” She responds, eyes looking toward the ground.

“I want to hear it from you.”

“Okay… I am a changeling. There, I said it.” She finishes, still looking at the ground.

“Alright then. Thats kinda cool.”

Rose’s face turns to surprise instead of just fear, and she looks up and sees Ventian isn't angry, but now has a big grin on his face.

“I mean, first I see that griffon, now one of my first ever friends turns out be a changeling? Ive never even thought I would see a changeling! Although… I may have met one and didn't even know! That was your plan, right?” Ventian asks while Rose’s face become less of fear and more of incredulity.

“You… don't care? Your father hates changelings! I thought-“

“I am not my father.” Ventian says with a surprising amount of seriousness. “I don't get why people think that. The nobles acted like that, but I assumed they didn't want to disrespect me, but you're my friend and you know that I know that, otherwise your first reaction to my discovering you might have been to attack me or run away or something. By the way, who else knows?”

Rose tilts her head, feeling oddly relieved that she was right about him being the kind to ask questions. “Who else knows Im a changeling? Vedaria and… some other people you don't know.” She answers honestly.

“Hmm. Okay then. One more thing.” He says.

“What is it?” She asks.

His face returns to a smile. “Promise me you'll tell me everything interesting about your species. I like learning new things, you know that. Im sure I said that at some point.”

Rose perks up, fear mostly completely gone now. “Oh, okay! I cant tell you everything though… only some things.”

“Okay. One last thing, can you turn back into your uh… real form? I wanna see you for real.” Ventian’s eyes light up as he brings out a small piece of paper and a pen.

Rose then lights up into green flame as Ventian flinches back a bit, and becomes a smaller, black pony-shaped chitin-covered creature.

“Oh thats cool! You're so small now!” Ventian says a little too loud as he writes down what she looks like.

Rose returns to her alicorn form in another burst of green, and says. “Okay, thats enough outta you. We should go back into the hotel before more people see me, and I am going to tell Vedaria that you know now. Don't tell the other two, I still don't know if Livar would be alright with knowing and I know Leva cant keep a secret.” She says seriously.

Ventian just nods with a smile remaining on his face.

I probably should take this more seriously, but who can honestly say that they met a changeling and managed to learn things about them! I may be the first of my family to have met one alive. I know my father has killed some of them, but I'm sure he never got the chance to ask them questions.

As Rose and Ventian walk back into the hotel, they both keep thinking about what just occurred. Ventian, knowing that by tomorrow he may forget some things, uses his pen to write some notes about the conversation he had with Rose.

Changelings seem to shapeshift via a burst of green magic that resembles fire. Could potentially be used to confuse less intelligent animals or even extremely unintelligent people. I will ask how the Empathic power works, but its getting too late for that. Also, I may want to ask how Rose and Vedaria met, and when Vedaria discovered Rose was a changeling.


Twelve minutes later
Focus Swap: Vedaria

“Wait, he knows? Knows wha- oh. Oh no.” Vedaria, after Rose tells her the new development, is now wide eyed.

“So… what did he do?” Vedaria asks carefully.

“Heh. I was kinda scared at first, but he really didn't seem to care all that much. I mean, he wanted to know more about me, but nothing went wrong.” Rose answers sheepishly, somewhat embarrassed she got caught by Ventian of all people.

“He is so freaking naive that I'm almost convinced its an act. What did his emotions look like?” Vedaria, still somewhat unsure about Ventian being nice, asks Rose.

“Just confusion, some curiousness, and a tiny bit of excitement. Nothing negative, not even the tiniest feeling of betrayal. He really didn't care that I wasn't what I seemed to be.”

“Of course not. I think I understand him a bit, enough to guess what he was thinking, and I have come the conclusion that he would never have felt betrayed.” Vedaria says with certainty.

“What do you mean? How wouldn't he feel betrayed?”

“Well, maybe he has the idea that he wasn't betrayed because he you never gave the indication of it being otherwise. He also doesn't blame you because he may know its in your nature as you are… what you are.” Vedaria finishes explaining.

The prince- no. Ventian isn't what I thought at first. Understanding, I expected, but this level of ‘I don't care what you are as long as you're my friend’ is just… Why?! Does he not have any suspicion whatsoever that we may be lying to or manipulating him in some way? Does he really trust us that much? It may get him killed!

Then again… maybe it is to his advantage, that he got us as a group. Both Rose and I are good at seeing if someone is lying, not to mention my previous skills as a monster hunter, I think Ventian gets the feeling that he doesn't have to worry about us. If we wanted to do something bad to him, we would have done it in the forest on the way here, and he knows that.

I think he knows that. Unless he’s too naive to see that as well, but in that case the facts don't line up. He’s smart enough to figure things out, but information is just information for him, if he thinks it doesn't matter, he may not think to consider alternate implications. Maybe thats why he trusts us, he just doesn't want to consider otherwise. His father told him to come with us, so he does.

I wonder if I should tell him about that thing that happened sixty-five years ago… no, thats not for me to tell.

As Vedaria thinks, Rose is getting into bed.

“Hey, why are your emotions all mixed up again?” Rose asks.

“Just thinking. Its getting late, isn't it?” Getting onto one of the bottom bunks, Vedaria covers up to sleep.

Rose does the same on the other side of the room. “Goodnight Veddy.”

“Don't call me that.” Vedaria says with a grin.


Next morning…
Focus Swap: Ventian

As Ventian awakens, he sees that he has fallen off the very small bunk bed and is now wrapped in his blanket on the floor. He also sees that Leva and Livar, in the bunk on the other side of the room, are still asleep.

Rose is also here. Wait what?

“Hi Ventian, good morning.” She says from the doorway connecting the two rooms.

“Um. Hi? Good morning to you too… uhh. I seem to be stuck.” He says, trying to get out of his blanket that seems to have twisted around himself, locking one of his legs against his body. “Help?” He asks.

Rose rolls her eyes and replies, “You have magic, doofus.”

Oh! Right… also, did she just call me ‘doofus?’

Getting out of his sheet prison, he stands up and faces Rose, who has walked closer to him.

“Whats up?” Ventian asks.

Rose just tilts her head. “Oh, nothing. I just decided to want to talk to you. Didn't know if these two were still asleep or not.” She says while looking over at the siblings’ bunks.

“Huh. Usually Livar is up before me. Guess that was just during travel.” Ventian remarks.

Rose’s face become odd for a moment, but goes back to a smile as she faces Ventian again. “So, you wanted to talk about… ya know?” She asks.

Ventian blinks before remembering. “Oh, right. That. Not right now, what if they wake up? Obviously you must have a reason for not telling them. Heck, you weren't even going to tell me! Not that I blame you for that, I understand.” Ventian finishes with a smile.

“You really don’t care, do you? What if I'm manipulating you or something?” She asks.

“If you were, you wouldn't have asked me that question.” Ventian replies confidently.

Rose just sputters. “I-wha- but- it- huh?”

Ventian just grins. Grins2, even. So much grin that its almost physically impossible to have that much grin.

“Heh, You're kinda cute when you're confused like that.” Ventian says, before both realize what he just said.

Wait, where did that come from?!

Rose just blushes and quietly says, “Thanks…” before walking back into her room and closing the door.

Ventian, despite his thoughts, continues to smile.

Okay, seriously, where did THAT come from?! That wasn't very appropriate! Why did I say that?!

Smile dropping, Ventian places the bedsheets back on the bed and sits on it.

“Weird. That was totally weird.” A voice from the other side of the room speaks.

Livar, being the one that spoke, is sitting on the bottom bunk below his sister with a smile.

“You're weird.” Ventian retorts childishly.

“Says the alicorn thats scared of Teleporting!” Livar laughs. Ventian frowns. I told him not to mention that!

“Yeah, well. You're scared of heights! Thats weird too!” Ventian replies, now trying his best to not laugh.

“Both of ya, shaddup. ‘M trying to sleeeep.” Leva speaks up from above her brother.

The two stallions just continue to fake-glare at each other, each daring the other to provoke the sleeping unicorn mare.

They both then decide, at the same time, to just giggle quietly as they can.

Still, it wasn't enough to appease the sleeping mare, so she just uses her magic to slap the both of them in the face with several pillows.

“Why do you even have that many pillows?!” Ventian yells at the unicorn mare currently assaulting them with what seemed to be a comical amount of pillows.

“Fuck you, thats why!” Said mare responds, continuing to bash her brother and the prince with pillows, when suddenly, all the pillows stop as an orange aura overtakes Leva’s magus.

“Well then, face the wrath of an alicorn with Fine Mastery of Multi-Telekinesis!” Ventian declares, burying Leva in several pounds of fluffy material covered in fabric.

“Dude, she better be okay.” Livar says, not really believing that Ventian hurt her.

“Shes fine, I think she just fell asleep.” Ventian responds, lifting a few pillows and discovering that she indeed fell back to sleep. Probably as soon as she got buried.

“Also, What was that you said? ‘Fine mastery of telekinesis?’” Livar asks.

Ventian just shakes his head. “Just the words I use to describe using TK to control multiple objects. Its easier for me to understand than just, ‘Telekinesis that is cast in such a way, that the user can manipulate multiple objects in varying positions at one time, directing them across separate axis.’” Ventian quotes in monotone.

Cant believe father taught me that kind of magic when I was nine, the typical age for alicorns to learn magic is twelve to fifteen, and thats just the simple stuff! But he just haaad to rush it.

Livar just stares and nods. “Okay, thats understandable.”


About Seventy minutes later

As the two stallions were in the middle of playing chess, Leva finally woke up for real.

She just walked down the steps on the end of the bunk, grabs some things from a bag and enters the bathroom.

“Hey, Leva’s awake.”

“Stop distracting me.” Livar is currently trying to win against Ventian, to no success.

“I don't need to distract you, you seem to be doing ba- I mean, good enough on your own.” Ventian corrects himself with an innocent smile.

Livar just frowns, looks at the chessboard, and frowns some more. So much frown that its almost physically impossible. Frown3, even.

He moves a piece. Ventian points to one of his own. “Cant do that, you would be opening up your queen.”

Livar replaces the piece. He moves his king across the board. Ventian nods.

“Okay.” He slides his rook directly into Livar’s king.

Livar commits face-table. The pieces fall over.

“Aww, don't rage-quit on me now. It was just getting fun!” Ventian says with a shit-eating grin.

Livar, still with his snout on the table, horn pointing toward Ventian, just mumbles.

“You've beaten me four times already, I haven't even won once. How is this fun?” The somewhat frustrated unicorn asks.

Ventian just replies with “Fun isn't winning. Fun is playing the game, and Fun isn't about the game, its how you play it.”

Livar, sitting back up just looks at Ventian. “Huh. Thats some philosophical shit right there.”

Ventian shrugs. “I don't have respect for philosophy. Either you live the way you want to, or you don't.”

“Based.”

“What?”

“Nothing, just a word some people use.”

“What does it mean?”

“Something like not caring what others think of you or something. I might be wrong though.”

“Okay.”

Both of them just remain sitting at the table, staring at each other in front of the useless window.

“Why does this window exist?” Ventian asks.

“I said that too! Kinda useless, isn't it? Cant see shit.” Livar remarks, laughing a bit.

After a while, Livar speaks up. “So… What was up with Rose earlier?” He asks.

“What do you mean?” Ventian replies.

“That whole… thing you said.”

“How much did you hear?” Ventian asks, kinda nervous now.

“Just the really awkward part. You called her cute.”

“HE DID WHAT?!” Leva speaks, having exited the bathroom just as soon as Livar said that.

“Uhh, nothing! You don't need to-“ Leva then walks quickly in front of Ventian, and stares directly into his eyes.

“What. Did you. Say? Tell me everything!” Leva, not having heard him and Rose talk earlier, is now filled with curiousness.

“Leva, calm down.” Livar says, trying to get Leva to stop harassing Ventian.

“Fffine. So what happened?” She asks after backing away a bit, still staring at Ventian with eyes narrowed.

“Rose came in here while you two were asleep and we talked, but then I said something that I probably shouldn't have and she left, but Livar heard me. Thats all.”

“Oh. Well maybe you should go talk to her and Vedaria about it while Livar tells me his side of the story.” Leva says confidently while pointing to the door connecting their rooms.

“Okay…” Ventian reluctantly stands back up and walks towards the door, opening it to see Vedaria alone in the room. She looks away from the window she is currently sitting in front of to see who entered the room.

“Ventian, hello. Come on in, lets talk.” She says with a smirk while getting up to walk towards him.

Ventian closes the door behind him. “You were expecting me?” He asks.

“Kinda. Rose told me what you said, and I have to agree. She is kinda cute, isn't she?” She says, smirk turning into a grin, so much grin that the grin itself is grinning. Grinception.

Anyway, Vedaria knows whats up, and Ventian does too. “Thats not exactly what I said…” he says, trailing off.

“Doesn't matter. Im sure you meant it.” Vedaria says with a knowing smile.

“Okay… so, I actually have some questions for you.” Ventian says, trying to make this conversation less awkward.

Vedaria stops grinning, going neutral now. “What are your questions?” She says more than asks.

Ventian thinks about something. As he brings out a paper from his bag, Vedaria’s eyebrow goes up.

“Why do you- alright then, I guess you came prepared.” She says.

“First off, that card made of wood you have, the one you showed to the clerk yesterday? What is it?” He asks.

Vedaria seems surprised and nervous at this question. “Oh, a friend of mine gave it to me. He’s kinda… well I wouldn't say ‘friends’ but he and the mayor know each other. So I kinda have privileges here that you probably would have back at the capitol.”

“Yeah, seems like it. Though there were some places I couldn't go on my own in the castle. Anyway, second thing. When did you and… Rose meet?” Ventian asks, pausing a bit before saying ‘Rose.’ Is that her real name? Probably not. I mean, she probably has other names she uses. She IS a changeling.

“Over thirty years ago, I used to be a monster hunter. I got a contract to hunt some kind of large scary beast made of wood and stone, when in fact it was just some guy-“ She shakes her head.

“Anyway, long story short, she was friends with a nature spirit, well, half spirit, and I decided to get to know them. Never did get payed for that, but I got some new friends out of it so its whatever.” She shrugs as she finishes her sentence.

“Half spirit? Interesting.” Ventian thinks. Could that be… no, even thats too much of a leap for my thinking. Theres no way that not-pony deer thing is who she’s talking about. Even though he dismisses it, the thought bothered him.

“Last question. How old are you?” Ventian asks.

Vedaria deadpans. “You aren't supposed to ask a mare her age ya know.” She says in monotone.

Ventian just tilts his head in confusion. “Why not? Its not like it matters for us alicorns, you could be a thousand years older and look the same, only a bit taller.” He says with confusion lacing his voice.

Vedaria blinks. “Its not that- Fine.” She cuts herself off, deciding to not argue with the oblivious stallion. “Two hundred six.” She bluntly states.

Ventians eyes widen. “Oh. Well, goes to show how well the whole ‘cant age’ thing works. Coulda sworn you were below a hundred, but thats what I get for assuming.” He remarks.

Vedaria just rolls her eyes.

“So, wheres Rose at?” He asks.

“I dunno, she left after telling me what you said to her. Probably to go for a flight, you really surprised her with that.”

“Oh. Sorry.”

“No need to apologize, I'm sure she appreciates the complement.” Vedaria says, grin once more appearing.

Ventian then decides that he is done with the talking for now, and walks into the other room.

Where Leva and Livar are playing an intense game of chess.

Ventian looks over at them to watch as Livar seems to keep losing over and over again, growing in frustration.

Yeah, I think Ill just ignore that… Its only funny when I do it. When Leva does it, its just kinda sad.

As Ventian walks out of the room, he hears Livar shout something very not foal-friendly.

Wow, sailor mouth much?

Shaking his head, Ventian closes the door and walks down the hall to exit the building and see if he can find a place to eat.

Author's Note:

Ventian may be naive, but he isn't stupid.

Yes, he should have handled the whole changeling thing with more caution than he did, and him being too trusting may be a weakness, but he also knew that Rose wasn't going to be aggressive.

Ventian doesn't believe in preconceptions. He works with what facts and information he has learned, and if he doesn't know something, most of the time he may want to learn about it if he thinks it may be useful. Ventian would rather ask the changeling who they are, what they liked to eat the most, etc. than just deciding that its evil like other people would.

Another thing, Chess in this is basically the same as the real life version, but the king and queens power is swapped. So checkmate is capturing the queen, which can only move one space in any direction.