• Published 26th Aug 2023
  • 208 Views, 84 Comments

Alicorn Kings and Better Things - RandomCommentor



Long ago, there was a great Alicorn Empire… its rulers werent that great.

  • ...
 84
 208

Chapter One: Introductions

Sixty-five years after the prologue


Focus: Ventian

Ventian Deoniyas was always an inquisitive pony, always wanting to know something he didnt know. Which was everything, apparently. When he was six, he asked what his parents names were (Aerlan is his fathers name, while Opulent is his mother). He asked why his father is the King and why his mother isnt a queen (because the stallion always gets the family name and the Deoniyas tradition means prince has to kill the king to become the king, which makes that situation very complicated.)

Ventian learned how to use his magic when he was nine years old, and since then he learned all sorts of spells from simple Telekinesis to something as complex as Transmutation(although oddly enough, Teleportation seems to be too difficult for him). He was always interested in all forms of magical and scientific information.

So when he discovered that he could write such information down on something called “paper” he was ecstatic. He could find so much information and not worry about forgetting it! He also enjoyed sharing what he learned, so that everyone could know things!

Sometimes he had to be careful what he shared though, it wouldn't do for the prince to give away royal secrets all willynilly. Despite his openness of facts and info, he also likes to keep secrets.

However, one day his father decided to not just give the answer to any questions asked by his son, instead saying “you should figure that out for yourself, i dont need to give you all the answers.”

This… kinda made Ventian frustrated. So now he spends most of his time going around the kingdom, not really leaving the capital, researching everything by writing facts about things on pages of paper. Ventian’s Pages of Information, he calls them. No real organization, just grab a page and read or write.


Ventian Deoniyas has a maroon coat with a blue mane, violet eyes and orange magus(magus is the technical term for magical aura).


Ventian age as of this chapter: 19


One day, while studying some interesting rocks, Ventian discovered something inside a stone about the size of his hoof. Placing it on his desk, he gets a metal chisel and hits the geode-looking rock. *crack* the rock splits open, not in half but a hole big enough to see inside, and inside is… a black liquid? He looks at it with a curious expression, eyes scanning the substance.

“Seems to be a magic-infused liquid, possibly the source of the Null-Magus effect. Cant use TK to lift it, kinda scared to touch it as it could be parasitic in nature… actually, better play it safe and use this…” walking over to a sizable box lined with lead, he lifts it in his aura and moves it over next to the rock holding the liquid.

“Dont really have a fancy name for- wait” looking over at his AutoQuill(an enchanted quill that translates voice to writing) he realises he walked out of range and it deactivated. Using his magic, he recasts the activation spell, and continues. “I dont have a really fancy name for this substance so I’ll just call it ‘VoidStuff’ for now. Placing the VoidStuff in the box… now.”

As he lifts the rock, being careful not to spill it, he moves it over the box when he suddenly gets an idea.

“Wait… if this is an antimagic substance, I might be able to solidify it by pulsing it with megas of the opposite polarity, so…” charging a spell, Ventian sets down the rock into the box and shoots a beam of white energy into the liquid part of the rock.

A very loud, high pitched tone begins and fills the room. The rock suddenly explodes.
*BANG* “AAH!” Ventian falls backwards away from the desk. Staring up at his ceiling, the prince of all alicorns did the only thing that was appropriate in that situation.
“Owwwwww…” he starts whining in pain. Very impressive.

Getting back on his hooves and adjusting his wings, he walks back over to his desk to see the result of his experiment.

Sitting in the center of the box, levitating, was a perfect cube of black metal, its surfaces seeming to absorb and bend all light around it making it hard to look at. The lead seemed to be gone now, the VoidStuff having clearly absorbed it.

“Huh” reactivating the AutoQuill, he continues, “Update; after following through with the experiment, the VoidStuff seems to have absorbed the lead properties of the box and transformed into a… metal? Yes, it transmuted into a sort of… VoidMetal. Doesnt look malleable, but i may be able to heat it up in the forge. Gonna make a Project with this… probably.”

Thinking, Ventian closes the now-regular box and levitates it, bringing it with him as he walks towards the throne room where his father probably is. “Gotta show him this. He told me to give him an update if i discover something new.”

Lightly trotting, he gets to the big doors in a few minutes. Nodding to the two alicorn guards, they open the doors for him.

Looking forward, Ventian spots his father, King Aerlan Deoniyas, sitting on the throne.

never really understood the point of a throne, i know father thinks its to show superiority but is that really necessary at this point? We own a quarter of the planet, a throne is just pointless in comparison

“My son, Ventian, what news do you bring? I assume it has to do with that box? Isnt that the lead one you bought for… what was it? ‘Containment purposes?’”

Ventian responds, explaining what happened earlier. “I discovered an interesting material and i uhh… experimented with a sample and created… this.” Walking over to the king, Ventian opens the box and shows him the levitating cube of VoidMetal.

Aerlan looks closely, but seems to become fatigued just looking at it. “Son, you said you… made this?” Ventian sees his father begin to become concerned. does he know what i made? Aww, did i not make a new thing?

The prince replies, “yeah, i found a weird rock that seemed to resist my TK, so i brought it to my room then i got the box and cracked the rock open and saw a-“ before he could finish, his father interrupts “You found a liquid that broke your magic and decided to place it in a metal container, then you used a Pure-Mega Beam spell to make it solid.”

Ventian becomes… somewhat disappointed that his father already knew what he made. “Ye-yeah thats what happened… it kinda exploded then turned into that. Did i not make a new thing?”

King Aerlan is reluctant to share but now that his son knows, he supposes he can tell some things. “Its actually pretty old knowledge in our family, but nobody has made this Void Metal-“ interrupting, Ventian yells out “Oh come on!! It even has the same name!?” Blinking, Aerlan continues, “yes, i suppose that would be the only appropriate name for it. Anyways, nobody has made it in a few centuries as its antimagic properties only function if it remains in a single state. Melting it or breaking it in any way makes it just a regular, albeit very strong and light, metal.”

Ventian looks at the cube with disappointment, then closes the box. “Thanks, i guess, for… whatever.” Ventian then walks out of the throne room back to his deskroom(a room with several desks in it as well as storage devices for research purposes).


When he gets to his room, he thinks about what his father told him. “‘If it remains in a single state’… antimega effect based on static molecular structure that dissolves when mass is removed, or when state changes… hmmm, maybe i can…”

Attempting something new, he grabs another one of the VoidStuff geodes. “What father described, he probably doesn't realize, was what happens when you attempt the same thing to a Runed object. Break or melt a Runed anything, and the effects are destroyed. However, there is a way to retain the effects… if i just do this…”

Smiling, Ventian casts a spell, and what happens… well, he does like keeping secrets. Maybe this secret can help him later on.

Author's Note:

Megas: unit of measurement for magic usage. Does not translate to other units of energy measurement as megas tend to be based on the users race, age, and Magus frequency. Identical megas are very rare between magic users.

Runed/Runes: a type of magic based on magic-infused inscriptions and algorithmic patterns of letters based on users Mega. Not many magic users use this, as Spellcasting is much easier. Runes are only really used for Artificing, the art of making Artifacts.