• Published 26th Aug 2023
  • 207 Views, 84 Comments

Alicorn Kings and Better Things - RandomCommentor



Long ago, there was a great Alicorn Empire… its rulers werent that great.

  • ...
 84
 207

Prologue

As Aerlan flies as fast as his wings could move, he could only wonder what the hell he just saw.

“Okay. A Spirit fused with a pony. Thats… new. Didnt realise that was possible. I uh, I need to tell Father about this. He is the king, after all. He has to know what just happened.”

Charging a teleport, the alicorn prince disappears.


There are pros and cons to being King of an entire race of immortals that are capable of bending reality to their whims. The positives consist of not having to micromanage everything, everyone is able to fix their own problems for the most part, and any military the kingdom may have would inevitably adapt to any combat situation extremely quickly and effectively.

The cons… well theres only really one, one big one that makes having a Prince stressful. Because of an old Deoniyas tradition, where the Prince, in order to become king, has to fight for the throne in combat. To the death. Which means, at any moment, King Oblivion Deoniyas’ son could burst into the throne room at any moment and challenge him to a duel for the throne.

Which is why said king nearly jumped in fright when Prince Aerlan Deoniyas bursts in suddenly. oh no please dont tell me… The King thought, before his son begins to speak.

“Father,” Aerlan begins “we… i have discovered something interesting. Something i didnt think possible, on the assignment you gave me. The one with the rumors of that changeling infiltration?” Relief floods through the kings’ body that it wasnt what he thought, though confusion now replacing it.

“Well son, what did you discover? Were there changelings in that village?”

“There were, actually, but i killed them. Easily. The problem, well… an earth pony colt got away…”

Oblivion stares for a moment. “And how is that a problem? If it was a changeling im sure-“ before he could finish, the prince interrupts, “HE TURNED INTO A SPIRIT.”

After a moment, Oblivion visibly becomes angry and demands, “Aerlan. What. Do you mean. By that. Exactly?

“Okay, well the colt ran, and i chased him. But, he went into the forest, the unnamed one? The one you said not to go into… and um. Well…” Aerlan starts to get a concerned look on his face, as his father is now seething.

“Aerlan. Do you remember why i told you to avoid that forest?”

“So i dont piss off the-“ “ITS SO YOU DONT PISS OFF, THE FUCKING, NATURE SPIRIT!!

Calming down, whilst facehooving, the King continues, “Okay, continue explaining. In clear words please.”

Aerlan then decides to start from the beginning, stating that he hired two mercenaries to assist him in killing off an entire village, discovered four total changelings, and lost one colt into the forest. He then explained that the earth pony colt somehow fused willingly with a nature spirit. Aerlan specified that it was a “Tactical retreat” in order to get the information to his father.

Aerlan finishes explaining, and asks, “So what do we do now?”

Oblivion has his eyes closed in thought.

“We cant do anything right now, if what you say is true then that colt is likely going through fusion recoil. Well, not “colt” exactly… but the point remains. We dont need to do anything yet.”

Aerlan nods. “Yes Father. Understood”
As the prince turned to leave, he could have sworn he heard his father whisper “nearly gave me a heart attack”

With that in mind, Aerlan thinks to himself for a minute as he walks back to his room.

it seems father is growing more tense nowadays, probably because im at the same age he was when he challenged his father for the throne. Hmm…

I should start thinking on how to do that.


Cyvern is currently standing on a hill overlooking a destroyed, unnamed village. He never knew his parents names, or the neighbors, or the other foals that were in town.
He was alone. But this time, he was strong enough to deal with that. He didnt know what he was now -some half spirit, half pony creature?- but he knew he was powerful now. Powerful enough to make an alicorn scared, which he now knew was a good thing.

Those ponies… why did they do this? Why did they hurt everyone? We didnt do anything to them! growing in anger at his situation, Cyvern begins to go over the events in his head once more.

Everything happened so fast, i was having breakfast when those three attacked, the house was on fire, then i got lost in the forest, found a friend, friend runs away, alicorn nearly finds me, friend dies and… says something about sparks? Then everything gets bright and now im this. This thing.

Cyvern looks over himself, taking in his new form. Where before he was a short earth pony colt, now he seems to have grown to a stallion.

However, age isnt the only thing that changed, as he now has antlers on his head that are able to cast… not spells, some other kind of magic. He also can feel all the living things on and in the ground around him and can “see” how they function, but doing that makes him dizzy.

As Cyvern walks around his former home, he discovers a toy he liked to play with. A smile crawls across his face as he picks it up in his hoof, and inspects it for damage.
huh. This all happened in one day, but it feels like i havent touched this thing in… a very long time…

That age thing must have done something else to my memories, i feel much more… adult? Im assuming. I dont feel as playful or immature, but i dont think thats a bad thing. Not to mention what i… did to those… bad ponies… not wanting to think about That, he moves onto more important things.

“Now,” someone from behind him speaks “who the hell are you and what happened here?” Turning around, Cyvern’s eyes widen. Its not a pony! Its a… fox with several tails?

“Answer me, or face the wrath of the Kitsune!”

Author's Note:

Ventian Pages of Information: Spirits.

The thing about spirits, is that they dont like fusing with mortals. At all. They detest the idea, and its unheard of for any spirit to willingly fuse with a pony, much less an earth pony. Nature spirits used to be the only ones to do so but they usually only did that with mortals they designated as “worthy” and never a pony.

Spirits hate ponies the most, as ponies have a long track record of, well… bending the laws of nature and order and they tend to manipulate spirits into doing things like giving out their True Name, which is what makes Spirits either very easy or very hard to deal with. Spirit is just another word for Fay (Fae, Fey, whatever). They arent immortal, they are Eternal. Eternal is just a fancy way of saying that they can never cease to be. They will always exist, and even if their physical form is destroyed they will return as another creature. Or the same exact creature. It varies.

Which brings us back to the fusion thing. Fusion is the ONLY known way to permanently get rid of a Spirit. The spirit becomes one with the soul and mind of the person they are fusing with, neither one actually surviving the process. Both participants of the fusion become a completely new person with both sets of memories, personality traits (which is why the spirit has to be careful who its fusing with, i mean, imagine a sociopath fuses with an empath) and powers. It literally creates a new person.

With one small exception. I once met a very interesting forest spirit, named Cyvern, that had encountered a dying nature spirit when he was eight. Apparently, the spirit didnt want to ruin his life by imprinting his mind onto such a young person so it decided to block those memories before fusing, letting Cyvern continue to exist while also making him a half-fae. I do not have enough space on this page to explain half-fae so i will


Author here, Ventian ran out of paper to write on. Again.

Oh wait this is the prologue, you haven't met him yet.
Word of warning, he is a bit of a nerd.