• Published 11th Aug 2023
  • 456 Views, 23 Comments

My Little Pony: Harmony and Chaos - AlphaToothless95



After Sunny's defeat of Midnight, she and her friends try adjusting to life as world famous heroes… but as they progress, things turn sinister as a new threat arises. One who just might send Equestria back into a time similar or worse than Midnight's

  • ...
6
 23
 456

Path to Redemption

Flashback

As a very young Misty sat on Opaline's lap and they looked through the magical mirror illusion, Misty couldn’t help but glance down at the dark pool below it and look at her own thigh, frowning at the lack of a cutie mark. Opaline notices the filly's scowl and immediately knows why. Opaline covers her thigh, causing the filly to look up at her, confused.

“Don’t worry, my dear Misty. You will get there eventually. That is one reason why we are beginning your training. To prepare you.” Opaline says and Misty nods up at her, a bit of her excitement returning… but then disappearing as fast as it had appeared.

“But… what if I don’t get it… what if I never become special? Will… will you… still love me?” Misty asks and Opaline frowns and gently moves a stray strand of hair out of Misty's face.

“Of course… you don’t need a cutie mark to be special Misty, you just need to be strong. So even if you don’t get your cutie mark, which you will, just know that you will always be special… to me.” Opaline says softly, smiling down at Misty, who smiles back and turns to give Opaline a hug, which she returns.

“Thank you Opaline… I won’t let you down… You really promise not to leave me if I don’t get my cutie mark?” Misty asks, causing Opaline to not say anything for a bit before pulling back to look at the little filly.

“As long as you promise not to abandon me if something goes wrong or if you actually do get it.” Opaline says and Misty grows a determined look instantly.

“Never.” Misty says and Opaline smiles before pulling Misty into another hug as her smile turns into a smirk.

“Then you have nothing to worry about, my dear Misty… because as I told you… we’re going to do great things together.” Opaline says before letting her gaze shift to the mirror which is currently showing the funeral for Sunny Starscout's father. It appeared he got a little too close to the truth and stumbled upon one of Midnight’s clones. Such a shame. She looks at the little orange filly crying at his casket… watching as her look of sadness slowly turns to one of determination. With that, Opaline just knows that this little filly is going to change the world… and so would Misty. Opaline would make sure of it. “We… are going to save the world from weakness, so that in the end… the strong will rule.”


And that was one of Misty’s last good memories of Opaline… It was so long ago and yet… it feels like it was only yesterday. Misty had her doubts over the years but… what Opaline did to her and tried to force her to do at the Brighthouse… it opened Misty's eyes for the most part.

Misty was very nervous. She couldn’t recall the last time she had been so nervous. She’s been nervous a lot lately due to the many missions she had been on, but this was different. She had to make a huge decision that would either change her life from here on out or bring it to a swift end. It wasn’t really the decision so much as the plan for whatever she chooses and the backup plan in case the first one fails. Either way, she needed to be careful.

They were getting ready to go to the dragon lands, but the reason for the wait was because Ragnar was currently making vehicles for Misty, Nightshade, and Titania using multiple different types of magic. Misty was getting a hover bike, Nightshade was getting an armored supercar, and Titania was getting a tank-like vehicle. He was also making a bunch of ships for Opaline, all of them having her cutie mark on them, along with what Misty assumed was Midnight’s cutie mark. Strange… even though he was working with Opaline, part of him was still loyal to Midnight.

That went for the other three as well. Opaline could try and make them forget about their allegiance to Midnight, but that wouldn’t happen. In her own way, Midnight had saved all of them and given them a new start… which wasn’t exactly fresh but was definitely better than what they all originally had, which was saying a lot. Misty felt bad for them in a way… but they chose their path… now Misty was going to choose hers… the right one. But first… she had to know one thing.

She walks to where Opaline is and sees her down in the dungeon where a few of the vehicles Ragnar made now reside. Opaline is looking at some armor and Misty has to admit… it looks beautiful. It was purple and black with highlights of blue. The armor on the shoulders, forearms, hips, thighs, and legs was all black. Glowing blue and purple markings covered the chest area, forming the shape of Opaline's cutie mark.

Opaline then looks at the black and purple double-sided sword next to it and picks it up. She holds it sideways and can’t help but smile as the memories of the countless battles she’s fought with this beautiful, deadly weapon reach the surface of her mind. She closes her eyes, breathes in and out, opens them… then gives the blade a good swing. She chuckles a bit at how it feels to swing her weapon again and have her power back, for the most part anyway. She continues swinging and Misty waits, just watching with amazement at Opaline’s skill and agility.

Soon, Opaline starts getting more aggressive until the blade catches on fire and she throws it, causing it to go spinning around the room in midair before going right back to Opaline. She easily catches it and as soon as she does, the flames extinguish and she sighs in satisfaction before turning to put the sword back where it was. Misty can’t help but clap, startling Opaline and making her hold a hand towards her, ready to unleash a powerful stream of fire until she sees Misty.

“Gods above Misty, you know better than to sneak up on me like that! What do you want?” Opaline asks impatiently, prompting Misty to remember why she came. She slowly walks closer to Opaline, contemplating her next words and actions… before she looks her straight in the eyes.

“I just… I need to know something.” Misty says, prompting Opaline to cross her arms as she waits impatiently but curiously. “I… when all of this is over and you’re at your full power… are you really going to give me a cutie mark…? Despite me hesitating at the Brighthouse?” Misty asks and Opaline sighs before shaking her head.

“This again? To be honest Misty, after your latest performance, I don’t think you deserve your cutie mark after that. You almost cost us the mission with your weakness.” Opaline says and Misty goes wide-eyed with shock, fear, and sadness.

“No! Opaline, please! I swear I won’t show weakness again, just let me re-earn it! I’ll do anything!” Misty pleads and Opaline frowns while glaring down at her, noticing how Misty was acting. She wasn’t supposed to still be showing weakness. She clears her throat before looking Opaline right in the eyes. “I know I almost messed up, but I can do better. I’ll train harder, fight smarter, anything but… just don’t take this away from me, it’s all I’ve ever wanted Opaline, so just… please.” Misty begs and Opaline was quickly losing patience. If Misty didn’t stop acting so pathetic, Opaline didn’t know what she would do. She doesn’t say anything and Misty looks like she’s on the verge of tears.

“Opaline! Come on, I did everything you asked! You know how loyal I am! You made me betray everyone! You've made me hurt and kill ponies! I’ve earned this!” Misty starts shouting and that’s when Opaline has had enough.

“WELL THEN YOU'RE LOOKING IN THE WRONG PLACE!” Opaline shouts, using the old royal canterlot voice which causes Misty to flinch and step back a bit. Misty is about to press on until Opaline continues… and there was no stopping the truth now. “Cutie marks aren’t given, Misty! They’re earned! I CAN'T give you a cutie mark Misty! There, I said it!” Opaline admits angrily and Misty goes wide-eyed at the realization that she’s been doing all this… for nothing. She betrayed her friends for nothing. She hurt and killed so many ponies… for. Nothing.

“You… You’ve been lying to me… my whole life?” Misty asks while looking down with wide, sad and shocked eyes. “Not just about this… but about everything?” Misty asks and Opaline stays silent for a bit before sighing and speaking up.

“Not everything. I-“ Opaline tries to say but Misty cuts her off in the coldest tone of voice Opaline's ever heard from Misty.

“But mostly everything. About me being special, or being strong… did you ever really believe in me? Did you ever see me as a pony and not as a tool?” Misty asks, spitting out that last word with so much venom that it shocked Opaline. Misty then looks up at Opaline, and the sight before her made the alicorn's heart ache a bit as she stared into the tear-filled eyes that belonged to the very mare that she trained and raised as a daughter. “Did you ever even really love me?!” Misty asks angrily and Opaline can’t say anything for a bit… but she knows she has to. She wants to say yes, because it’s true that she had grown fond of Misty as a daughter but… she couldn’t show weakness. She breathes in and out then looks at Misty with the coldest glare she can muster.

“No…” She says, and the heartbreaking sob that Misty lets out almost makes her immediately take it back… but she doesn’t. She just frowns and watches Misty clench her own chest while crying, as if her heart had physically taken a blow.

“You were just… using me! All along! This whole time!” Misty shouts with sadness and anger overwhelming her voice. The more she thinks about it… the more memories that come to the forefront of her mind… and they just serve to increase her rage. She walks closer to Opaline as she continues speaking. “Well… you don’t get to use me anymore… not me, not Sparky, and not those dragons you plan on controlling!” Misty yells and Opaline goes wide-eyed before swinging at her and Misty ducks under it then jumps up and knees her before kicking off her chest, propelling herself backwards and sending Opaline stumbling back a bit.

This gives Misty the chance to take out her blade and charge all of her rage and pain into it before swinging it, which causes an explosion that’s five times stronger than any previous ones. This explosion destroys most of the vehicles in the room which adds to the devastating damage it causes to the castle but Misty manages to take one, which just happens to be her hover bike, and start heading to where Sparky was being kept. Luckily, she doesn’t run into the other villains, but she still has to hurry. She drives through the doors and quickly rushes to grab Sparky.

The bubble he’s in keeps her from touching him and she starts panicking until she looks at her blade and starts using it to cut him out of it. Once he’s out, she quickly grabs a bag, puts him in it, and gets on her bike. She hears a roar and knows it's Ragnar. Opaline must’ve used alicorn empathy to tell them what happened. Therefore, she had to leave quickly. She weighs her options then decides to drive out of the window in the room.

“Hang on tight Sparky!” Misty warns him before starting up the bike and instantly going through the window with it. She keeps going but then realizes the bike isn’t hovering, it’s falling… maybe she should’ve waited and learned how to actually use it before confronting Opaline. “Crap crap crap! No! What do I do?!” She asks herself before Sparky pokes his head out of her bag and sees a glowing blue button and he reaches out to push it. Misty is too panicked to notice or care so she gets ready to jump off the bike and use the whip to swing instead, until she hears something and looks to see that Sparky pressed the button and the bike has started to transform. Soon the wheels turn sideways and start glowing and a few lights on the bike appear too.

Misty is amazed until she notices the ground just a few feet away and closing in fast so she screams and pulls back on the handle, making the bike right itself and start hovering above the ground. Misty looks amazed at this too and laughs before looking at Sparky. “Good work little guy!” She says, causing Sparky to smile and growl happily, clapping his hands. Misty starts driving in the direction of Maretime Bay, and with this bike, she’d be able to get there a lot quicker. She hears the sound of a sonic boom and just as she looks behind her, she’s tackled by Stormcutter, the force from the tackle causing the bike to move forward faster but also start spinning out of control.

“You traitor!” Stormcutter yells, punching Misty and almost making her fall off the bike. She then reaches for the bag but Misty grabs her hand and stops her.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing!” Misty responds, headbutting Stormcutter then pushing her hand back and punching her. She then waits for the right moment then kicks her off right before the bike passes by a tree, making Stormcutter crash through the tree and tumble along the ground. She huffs then faces forward and keeps driving. Suddenly, without even wanting to, her body forces her to move the bike over to the right, almost driving off the cliff that she didn’t even realize she was by. Just in time too as lightning strikes right where she was, causing an explosion. “Whoa! What was…?” She starts to question but then she realizes that it was probably the spell helping her survive… most likely for its own benefit.

Misty dodges another lightning strike then more after that until she has to dodge a magical blast and just barely manages to dodge the lightning strike that follows; however, the electricity damages the bike and it starts failing. Misty frowns and looks behind her to see Stormcutter and Ragnar catching up to her. She tries to think of something, anything that would help her and Sparky escape. She then gets an idea and hopes this bike has enough power left in it for what she has planned. She looks down at Sparky and gives him a hopeful look.

“I know I have no right to ask… but do you trust me?” Misty asks and Sparky looks up at her, gurgles, growls, and nods at her, causing her to smile and nod back. “Alright. Hold on tight little guy!” Misty yells before she suddenly drives off the cliff but manages to get her blade around a nearby tree and she holds on to the handle of her blade and the bike as it swings along the cliff and Misty counts down in her head before pressing the button to make the bike boost. The newly increased speed allows Misty to reach the speed she was going for faster than expected and she looks to see if Ragnar and Stormcutter are in position and smirks when she sees that they are. “Ready Sparky?!” She asks and when she hears him growl in agreement, she detaches the whip from the tree, allowing the bike to slingshot upwards.

She then swings the whip towards Stormcutter and Ragnar, sending multiples of the blades towards them then holds Sparky towards them. “Now!” She shouts and Sparky breathes in before unleashing a ball of fire as big and powerful as he can muster towards them. The two villains realize the plan but can’t strengthen their shields fast enough to fully protect themselves from the resulting magical explosion. The shockwave reaches all the way to Misty and Sparky and continues on past, probably for miles, shaking the trees and the ground. “Yeah!” Misty cheers and Sparky laughs and claps his hands, making Misty chuckle and playfully rub his head.

Before she can get too happy though, she hears the bike’s engine failing and looks to see that it’s falling and there’s a huge chance it’ll go off the cliff. With that, she gets ready to jump off it with Sparky. She waits for the right time then jumps off the bike, allowing it to crash and tumble off the cliff. Misty rolls along the ground, shielding Sparky and allowing herself to take the brunt of the crash. She eventually rolls to a stop and takes a moment to recovers before opening the bag back up and checking on Sparky.

“You ok?” She asks him despite her own pain, earning a nod from him, causing her to smile and sigh in relief. “Good.” She says before slowly getting up. She checks behind them to see if Ragnar and Stormcutter have recovered yet but it doesn’t seem like they have. However, she knows they can’t stay here for long so she gets up and goes into the forest to cover their tracks, then starts making her way to Maretime Bay. “Don’t worry Sparky. You’ll be home before you know it. You’ll be safe and… you’ll never have to see me again when all this is over.” Misty promises sadly and she hears what sounds like a sad and curious growl come from Sparky.

She picks him up and he looks so sad. “It’s ok… You deserve better than to be around somepony as terrible as me… everyone does.” Misty says, looking down until she hears Sparky make a noise and when she looks at him, he smiles and reaches towards her and she leans her head forward so he can grab and hug it, nuzzling her. That makes her smile and close her eyes as it provides her some comfort. When they separate, Sparky makes a happy noise and claps his hands and Misty chuckles at how cute he is. She’s about to keep going until she hears something… unexpected.

“F… Fr… Friend.” She hears before slowly looking at Sparky. He smiles at her and she slowly smiles back.

“Yeah… friend.” She says before continuing to make her way to Maretime Bay with Sparky and a newfound hope for the future. She made a promise that she would rather live without a cutie mark before she even thought about doing the wrong thing again and she’d die before she rejoined Opaline's side. From now one, she wasn’t Misty, a servant and the adopted daughter of Opaline. She was Misty Brightdawn… a pony just trying to do the right thing.


“We searched the whole forest… she’s gone.” Stormcutter says to Opaline when she and Ragnar walk through the doors to the throne room. Opaline… was furious. Misty promised… she promised she wouldn’t leave her! But then again… Opaline had also made a false promise… she had done a good job keeping it up but… why did she suddenly have to reveal the truth after lying to Misty for years? Especially when she was so close to completing her plan?! Now… Misty was gone… the filly she saved, trained, and raised was gone

“Leave me… the plan hasn’t changed… you're all still going to bring me that stone and that staff… and I swear, we will crush those pathetic little ponies and all of their allies!!! They will all rue the day they shunned me, shunned us, and cast us aside, only to try and leave us forgotten by history!!!” Opaline yells and as her eyes glow, all the villains can feel the temperature rising as the castle starts to shake.

“And if Misty loves those ponies so much… then she can burn with them!!!” she screams, fighting the tears that threaten to fall from her eyes. Misty made her choice, now she was going to have to live with it… and die with it.