• Published 1st Aug 2023
  • 746 Views, 15 Comments

Prehistoric Equestria - Dinosaur12



What will happen when dinosaurs and ponies interact with each other?

  • ...
1
 15
 746

Night Terrors (edited)

The Deinosuchus began to tear off chunks of meat from the body of the Carnotaurus, causing blood to pour into the water and turn it red.

Rarity usually white face turned a sickly green. "I going to be sick.." Rarity gagged.

"What in the hay is that?!" Applejack exclaimed.

"That was a Deinosuchus." Junior explained.

"A Deino-what?" Applejack exclaimed.

Deinosuchus wasn't a dinosaur but instead a prehistoric alligator. Unlike most crocodilians today, Deinosuchus was huge, like really huge, capable of eating the dinosaurs that lived alongside it. It was 8-10 meters long and weighed 2.5 to 5 metric tons. It lived in western North America, specifically in Montana and northern Mexico where it would prey on herbivorous dinosaurs, large fish, and other aquatic animals that it hunted in freshwater lakes and rivers. The first Deinosuchus' fossils were found by the geologist, Ebenezer Emmons in 1858. Its name means, "terrible crocodile."

While the ponies were getting their bearings, the Deinosuchus took notice of them and spoke to them, surprising the ponies.

"Hey, this my meal. Get your own!" the Deinosuchus yelled.

"What th-Gross! We prefer plants, thank you very much!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Except for Pinkie. She's pretty much just addicted to sugar."

"I wouldn't call it an addiction, Dashie." Pinkie said, guzzling down a jar of sugar she pulled from out of nowhere.

The Deinosuchus shrugged at the group and went back to eating the Carnotaurus' body. When the Deinosuchus went back to eating, Twilight quickly noticed something off about the group. "Hold on! One, two, three, four, five, and counting Junior, six. Where's Spike?!"


Spike dragged himself across the forest floor, panting like a dog. "Twilight! I got your note! Next time you want to go on an adventure, don't leave without me!" Spike shouted, raising his arms into the air before collapsing back on the ground in exhaustion.

Earlier that day, Twilight had sent Spike out to gather some stuff for the castle but when Spike got back, Twilight was gone. A single note told him where she and the rest of the Mane 6 were. And he was not happy about where it was.

One thing he took away from all this: never skip leg day.

As Spike stood back up, he almost tripped into the massive hole in the ground that he, for whatever reason, hadn't noticed before.

"Huh. Was that always there?" Spike asked himself. As the young dragon went around the hole he noticed a few pair of hoofprints in the ground.

"I guess Twilight and the rest of her friends jumped into the hole. No big deal, I just have to jump down this long..dark..mysterious tunnel." Spike gulped. "Alright, you can do this, Spike. Just jump down the hole and find your friends."

Yet as Spike continued to stare down the hole, his anxiousness only increased. He continued to stare until he heard some rustling. Spike turned around and but saw nothing in the forest. But as he looked closer, he spotted something furry or feathery sneakily moving through the treeline.

"Hello? Somepony or somecreature there?" Spike called out but to no response. He looked into the bushes again and could've sworn he saw two yellow eyes staring at him.

"I don't mean you any trouble. I'm just gonna go now, okay?" Spike said, raising his arms in the air. Again, no response so Spike went ahead and went back the way he came. Despite not seeing anyone, Spike was unaware that something was watching him with its teeth laid bare in a malicious grin.


Junior and the Mane 6 were busy trekking through the dense forest. To pass the time, Pinkie decided to play a game of "I Spy."

"I spy with my little eye, something..purple." Pinkie said.

"Umm, is it Princess Twilight?" Junior asked.

"Correct!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"Hey, kid. Not that there's anything wrong with walking through the forest but where exactly are we going?" Rainbow asked, becoming bored from the long trek.

"Well, the last time I saw her before the earthquake was our herd's nesting spot." Junior said. "

"Great, and where is this 'Valley'?" Rainbow asked.

"Just beyond this jungle." Junior said.

"Great." Rainbow said, sarcastically.

Applejack shot her a glare, but Rainbow just rolled her eyes. "What? You can't tell me that this isn't boring right."

"Well, why don't you just fly on up ahead and wait for us there?" Applejack said, deadpanned.

"That wouldn't be very loyal of me, now would it?" Rainbow said, smirking. "I'm bored but I'm not just gonna leave you all to fend for yourselves."

AJ shook her head and smiled to herself. Rainbow might be annoying sometimes but she was a really good friend.

I wish I had friends like that, Junior said in his head. He did try and make friends with some of the members of his herd but most of them were either really young or didn't want to be friends with him. As the group continued to walk through the forest, the "sky" was becoming darker.

"Is it just me? Or did it get darker all of a sudden?" Rarity asked. Everypony took a look around and realized that Rarity was right.

"We've got to build a shelter. Who knows what could be lurking around here?" Twilight said. The ponies and Junior agreed and started to get to work. The girls worked hard into the night and finally they were done. It 10 feet tall, wooden shack. They all lit a campfire right in the middle to keep themselves warm.

While it wasn't the most enchanting of places, it would have to do for now. For their beds, the ponies gathered up some low-hanging leaves and set them on the ground. Although Junior said he would just sleep on the dirt ground, the girls ignored him and made a little bed for him too. They all agreed to keep watch and switch every hour. The girls agreed and they were all off to sleep with Applejack offering be the first watch.

The night was silent and calm, the only sounds be made were the crackling of the fire and the soft sounds made by some nighttime creep-crawlies. Also, Dash's loud snoring. Applejack kept on watching through the windows of the shack, keeping an eye out for any movement coming from the bushes.

Applejack then heard something, only to find that it was Junior shifting around in his makeshift bed. Applejack slowly approached the young dinosaur. It seemed like Junior was having a nightmare. She remembered something she used to do with Applebloom back when she was a baby. She slowly caressed Junior's back and sung him a little lullaby. As Applejack sang, Junior started calm down and smiled a little. Applejack continued to stroke Junior's back until she heard something coming from outside. When she peered out the window, Applejack saw nothing until she saw a pair of pure white eyeballs staring directly at her.

Soon, more eyeballs began to appear until there was nearly 17 white eyes looking into the shack. Suddenly, the shadowy creatures from which these eyes belonged to began walk out of the bushes and approach the shack. Without warning, the creatures started sprint towards the open entrance. Applejack quickly dashed for two slabs of wood and held them tightly against the entrance. The dinosaurs clawed and screeched, trying to get through. This of course, woke up the ponies.

"Huh, is it morning already?" Rainbow asked.

"This is really interrupting my beauty slee-WHAT IN EQUESTRIA?!" Rarity exclaimed. Junior and the rest of ponies woke up to the sight of Applejack barricading the entrance and some reptilian creatures trying to get in.

"There's no time to explain girls, just start barricading the windows!" Applejack shouted, struggling to keep the dinos out. Immediately, Rarity, Pinkie, and Rainbow started barricading the windows while Fluttershy and Twilight helped Applejack keep the dinosaurs from getting through the entrance. Junior tried to think of a way to help his pony friends.

"Junior, watch out!" Fluttershy exclaimed. Unbeknownst to Junior, one of the creatures had snuck through one of the windows and was about to attack. Luckily, Junior jumped out of the way, causing the creature to screech in anger. Fluttershy immediately rushed to Junior's side. The creature slowly approached the two, the light from the fire revealing it. The dinosaur was sleek and thin, showing that it was agile. It had a red pattern that stretched from its underbelly to its lower jaw. Its gray skin was decorated with black dots, a three black stripes, and a black feathery covering on its tail, back, and head. The creature's jaws were lined with narrow, pointed teeth and its eyes, if you could call them eyes, were nothing more than pure white spheres. This was a ferocious dinosaur to be sure, one Junior knew too well about: A Troodon.

Author's Note:

Now, I know the Jurassic Park Troodon isn't what the actual dinosaur looked like but gosh darnit, it looks really cool and I thought it would be a nice addition to the chapter! Anyway, let me know what you think in the comments. I'll see you guys next time!:trollestia: