• Published 29th Sep 2012
  • 1,970 Views, 28 Comments

PONY OR DIE 1 - MLPG



Collection of short stories all in a chain going from picture to story to picture from MLPG

  • ...
1
 28
 1,970

Entry 6 and 7

Entry 6, by Rose

Entry 7, by >Terse

“Happy birthday!” cried six voices in unison as a burst of colourful sparks danced in the air. From those sparks materialised a birthday cake as big as the dinner table it sat on, and a bead of drool pooled at the corner of the bemused birthday mare’s mouth as candles began to sprout from the icing, magically shaping themselves into her name.

“Pinkie, darling, do control yourself,” said Rarity from the other side of the table, hooves delicately arranging the ribbons hanging from the sides of the cake. “It’s wonderful that you’re so pleased, but we don’t want to eat a cake covered in saliva, now, do we?”

The other five laughed at that, Spike especially so (in his usual ditzy, lovestruck sort of way) and the pink mare shook her head fiercely, scattering droplets of saliva all over the walls around her. No one seemed to mind, of course; the Cakes, currently preoccupied with their two teething foals, had promised to handle clean-up duty. They knew full-well how Pinkie tended to behave around cakes, and were accustomed to handling the catastrophic aftermath.

The candles on the cake roared to life, brightly-burning flames flickering madly in the relative darkness of the room.

“That’s so cool,” Dash chimed in, watching them writhe. “Hey, look what I can do, guys!”

As the rest of the group turned to look at Dash, she grinned and, summoning her courage, did the old party trick, swinging one hoof through the fire. She recoiled as the flame bit at her hands, hotter than she had thought it would be, and then, in what felt like slow motion, watched as the gust of air knocked the candles over and incensed the flames.

“Oops,” was all she said. Then the cake burst into flames. Fluttershy yelped, jumping high into the air, as the fire swiftly consumed the entire confectionery treat. “I didn’t know that was going to happen, honest!”

“Whose bright idea was it to make a cake with flammable icing?” Twilight shouted, hooves clutching at her face in abject terror. Next to her, Spike was running back and forth, trying to blow out the flames. “Spike, stop! You’re only making things worse!”

That was certainly true enough. In his fear, the young dragon seemed to have forgotten his breath was fire too, and it certainly wasn’t helping. Fluttershy had gone into hiding, cowering under the table, the only place from which she couldn’t see the flaming cake; the flames licking at her body were enough to make her cry. Behind her, Rarity was desperately trying to pull her out by the hind legs, no to avail. Amidst it all sat Pinkie, entranced by the flaming cake as she munched on a slice that still burned.

“Woohoo! AJ to the rescue!”

The entire group turned to face the source of the noise as Applejack, that oh-so-heroic pony, rushed into the room, bucket of water on hoof.

“Yippie!” cheered the birthday mare, still chewing her burnt cake. A resounding splash of water, followed by a long silence punctuated only by the sound of Fluttershy’s noisy sobs, heralded the saving of the day.

Slowly, the Cakes backed out of the doorway and away from the chaos.