• Published 18th Jul 2023
  • 213 Views, 0 Comments

The New Era for Equus - Robert Emerald Fountain



Equus' modernization and the making of new friends

  • ...
 0
 213

Calling for Backup

When the call came to the PAW Patrol, all of the pups and the Cat Pack were having a sleepover at the Lookout the previous night. However, rather than the call coming in the evening like the four from Liberty and the others, the call from Equus reached the Lookout right at dawn. So, everyone ended up getting a rude awakening when the alarm went off that a call had come in. Fortunately, they were used to getting calls at times like this, but it was not very common. Ryder walked into the main room to answer the call.

“This is the Lookout. Ryder speaking.”, he said sleepily with a yawn.

“Did I wake you up? I’m sorry, Ryder. We have an emergency here on Equus. A starship crashed last night and we have just now found out where the crew’s escape pods have landed. We may need your help extracting them all. Better safe than sorry.”, explained Flurry.

“Acknowledged. We may be a while, but we will get there.”, said Ryder.

Once all of the pups and the cats had fully woken up and had something to eat for breakfast, Ryder told everybody to suit up. After getting in uniform, Ryder gave Mayor Goodway a data-pad in case emergencies came up while they were gone and they boarded the Paw Patroller after it had been transformed for water travel.

“PAW Patrol and Cat Pack ready for action, Ryder Sir.”, said Chase.

“Thanks for letting us wake up completely before having us get in uniform.”, said Marshall.

“You’re welcome. Here’s what was in the call. There is an emergency on Equus. The ponies who saved our lives two months ago need our help. A starship has crashed and the crew ejected. they don’t know how severe the rescues will be, so they have called us in as backup.”, Ryder explained.

“DOES THIS MEAN...?”, Skye started excitedly.

“Yep, we’re going into space again.”, Ryder answered as the PAW Patroller began moving across the water.

The Paw Patrol had already used the Space Patroller for three space rescues in the past month. Once they reached the dock that was connected to the hangar, everyone disembarked and took the elevator down to the access bridge. They stopped part-way down to be put in their space suits. Once they were strapped in their seats and the access bridge had been retracted, Ryder began the pre-launch checklist.

“Alright everyone, listen up. Give me a go/no-go for launch.”, he said.

“Boosters go.”, said Marshall.

“Airframe go.”, said Skye.

“Telemetry go.”, said Tracker.

“Guidance go.”, said Chase.

With all four systems showing green, Ryder initiated the launch sequence. The pups and the cats counted down until booster ignition.

“Fifteen.”, said Chase.

“Fourteen.”, said Marshall.

“Thirteen.”, said Skye.

“Twelve.”, said Rocky.

“Eleven.”, said Rubble.

“Ten.”, said Zuma.

“Nine.”, said Everest.

“Eight.”, said Tracker.

“Seven.”, said Tuck.

“Six, go for main engine start.”, said Ella.

The engine valves opened and began spewing fuel to prepare for ignition.

“Five.”, said Rex.

“Four.”, said Liberty.

“Three.”, said Wildcat.

“Two.”, said Rory.

“One.”, said Leo.

“IGNITION!”, cried Shade.

The fuel was ignited and everyone felt a massive amount of shaking as the thrust built up. They had gotten nauseated and threw up the first time they had launched, but now they were used to this. The Space Patroller was soon released from the launch clamps and began rising into the sky. Once they had cleared the atmosphere, the gravity core kicked in and everyone was able to walk. During the launch, the systems were designed to temporarily shut down. After they had come back on, Ryder started preparing for their trip to Equus.

“Navigation.”, he said to Tracker.

“Coordinates set.”, Tracker replied.

“Hazard Avoidance.”, Ryder said to Marshall.

“Clear.”, replied Marshall.

“Helm.”, Ryder said to Chase.

“Ready.”, Chase replied.

“Skye, activate warp drive engines on my mark.”, Ryder said.

“Standing by.”, Skye replied as she put her paws on the switches.

“Five, Four, Three, Two, One, MARK!”, said Ryder intently.

Skye pushed the switches forward and the engines fired off. The Space Patroller shot deep into space, bound for Equus. This was only their second time using the warp drive and doing a rescue in deep space, so they passed out after the sudden acceleration. Luckily, Twilight had programmed the warp drive to disengage when the Space Patroller was twenty miles from the destination. This gave Ryder, the pups, and the Cat Pack more than enough time to wake up and get reoriented.

**

Neighsay was monitoring all of the frequencies on his screens because Twilight had instructed him to watch for the Paw Patrol and notify her when he made contact. When the Space Patroller appeared on radar, he called out to them.

Space Patroller, this is the Equestrian Space Station. Do you copy?”, he asked.

“This is Ryder aboard the Space Patroller. We read you loud and clear E S S.”, Ryder replied.

“Acknowledged, you are cleared for atmospheric entry.”, said Neighsay.

Once Ryder had entered the atmospheric corridor, Neighsay contacted Twilight.

“Twilight, the Space Patroller is entering the atmosphere.”

Twilight was quick to acknowledge what he had told her and she guided the ship to a landing area that had been built on the south side of the Everfree Forest. After leading everyone to her castle, Twilight explained who was where and that there was the possibility that she and her friends would need help from Ryder and the pups. Upon seeing that one of the pods had landed in water, Ryder indicated that Zuma would need to help with that one. He said this because there was the potential that the pod could sink underwater.