• Published 5th Jul 2023
  • 2,470 Views, 152 Comments

If Solaris had a Text-to-Speech Device - Jay David



When Celestia and Luna bring back their long-lost father, they soon realise it might not have been the best idea.

  • ...
8
 152
 2,470

Safe

Flash's head darted left and right as his mind struggled to adjust to the sudden and unexpected change in locale. Fortunately, Luna was there to offer her usual calming influence. "Be easy, Lieutenant. You are among friends now, not enemies."

But even with this reassurance, the stallion was perplexed. "But...but...how...?"

"I BROUGHT YOU BACK TO US USING MY POWER," Solaris explained. "AFTER WE FINALLY MANAGED TO GET DISCORD TO SPILL THE BEANS ABOUT WHERE HE'D SENT YOU, I DECIDED TO INTERVENE IN THE MATTER."

The Draconequus in question pouted as he looked to the side. "A surprise would have been more entertaining."

Luna scowled at him. "I doubt Flash would have survived it."

"AH, YES, THAT REMINDS ME." Again, Solaris called about his great magical power, bathing Flash in an ethereal glow. Though again taken aback by this, the pegasus was soon put at ease, as the pain of his injuries began to fade. When the light ceased, he found himself once more in fighting form, no broken wing or any other malady to worry about. "THERE WE GO."

Still somewhat unnerved by all the rapid changes happening around him, Flash nevertheless remembered his courtesies. "I...thank you, your Majesty. I am most grateful."

"YOUR GRATITUDE IS APPRECIATED, BUT TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THIS WAS EARNED. YOU DID GOOD OUT THERE, SENTRY, AS DID YOUR FOLLOWERS."

As soon as he heard that, Flash's eyes widened. "My troops! Did they...?"

"RELAX. THEY MADE IT OVER THE BORDER, JUST AS YOU'D PLANNED." He gave Flash a moment to sigh with relief before continuing. "THOUGH I IMAGINE THEY'LL BE QUITE SURPRISED TO SEE YOU HERE BEFORE THEY ARE. JUST AS THEY WILL BE SURPRISED TO SUDDENLY FIND THAT THEY NO LOGNER HAVE THIS." Just as before, light emanated from the old king, a sign of him gathering his power, no doubt for some other teleportation spell. This time, the light was briefer, and when it passed Flash's eyes now locked upon the object he'd nearly sacrificed himself for. The Alicorn Amulet, hovering right in front of Solaris. "SO, THIS IS THE TRINKET THAT CAUSED SO MUCH HASSLE. A RELIC OF DARK POWER IF EVER THERE WAS ONE."

Remembering why he'd been searching for it in the first place, Flash got down to one knee. "And now, your Majesty, I offer it to you, so that you may strengthen yourself."

"...AND HERE WE COME TO THE AWKWARD MOMENT. I DON'T ACTUALLY INTEND TO USE IT, FRIEND."

"...Pardon?" Flash asked with a deadpan tone.

"YOU SEE, I REALLY DON'T LIKE DARK MAGIC. NO MATTER WHAT FORM IT TAKES. THOUGH YOUR QUEST WAS A NOBLE ONE, I WILL NEVER USE SUCH A POWER WHEN OFFERED."

Flash allowed that information to sink in, after which his shoulders slumped. "So I put all of them through that danger for nothing."

"NO. NOT NOTHING. FOR THERE IS ONE PURPOSE THIS AMULET MAY YET SERVE." Waiting to see Flash look back to him, he continued. "SAFEGUARDING THE FUTURE." It was a statement that prompted confusion in all of them, but their uncertainty was soon to be explained. For Solaris, holding the Amulet before him bathed it in his magic once more. The glow was fierce this time, and many had to shield their eyes from it. Eventually, they were able to see it, and when they did, they saw that it had changed. Gone was its dark colouring, as was its sharp and foreboding angles. Instead, what they now saw was a splendid jewel, a combination of blue, green and purple. It still bore the image of an alicorn, but one that seemed far more pleasant to look at. "AND THUS, THE AMULET IS PURIFIED."

Luna stepped forward, entranced by the sight of the new crystal as everycreature else was. "Father...what have you done?"

"HEALED IT," Solaris explained. "WHERE ONCE THERE WAS AN ITEM OF DARKNESS, DESTINED TO ONLY ENHANCE ITS WEARER, NOW THERE IS A CREATION THAT WILL BRING OTHERS TOGETHER." With those words spoken, Solaris used his power to, to the surprise of everycreature, break the crystal apart into three segments. One shaped like the wings, one of the horn and one of the circle at the centre. "I WILL NOT EXPLAIN IT ALL, BUT THINK OF THIS AS INSURANCE. SHOULD A DAY COME WHEN PONYKIND NO LONGER ENJOYS THE UNITY AND FRIENDSHIP IT DOES TODAY, THIS CRYSTAL WILL PROVIDE A LIFELINE TO THAT COMPANIONSHIP. A MEANS FOR THE MANY TO BECOME ONE AGAIN. AND TO ENSURE THAT IT CAN..." He lowered the crystal pieces, to Flash, who accepted them in his hooves before looking to Solaris again. "I NEED IT TO BE PROTECTED BY ONE WHO HAS PROVEN THAT HE WILL PLACE THE GOOD OF PONYKIND ABOVE ALL OTHER CONCERNS."

Though he still had questions, Flash nevertheless smiled. "Your Majesty...it would be my honour," he said with a bow of his head. Then, after looking to the now-separated crystal again, he gave a slight nod. "And I know just the ponies to help me watch over them."

"GOOD LAD."

Luna smiled as well, taking in this whole situation with at least a small degree of bemusement. "Celestia would regret missing out on all of this. Doubtless she'd have plenty to say about it."

"AH, YES. THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME, DAUGHTER."

Luna, and by extension everycreature else, wasn't sure what he meant by that. Instead, they simply watched as Solaris again called upon his power. None of them knew what he was up to this time, but they could feel the chamber shaking. As had happened a few times now, there was a bright flash, a sign that somepony had been teleported in. This time the surprise among the group was even greater, as the one who had been transported was none other than Celestia. Like Flash, she too was taken aback by this unexpected change, darting her head around frantically before settling on her sister and father. "Lulu? Father? What is the meaning of this?"

"APOLOGIES FOR INTRUDING ON WHATEVER YOU WERE DOING, CELESTIA. BUT I NEEDED BOTH OF YOU HERE FOR WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN."

Luna turned to him, starting to look more than a little worried. "What do you mean? What is about to happen?"

"...THE FINAL MOMENTS...OF MY LIFE."

Author's Note:

In fairness to Solaris, if I had teleportation powers I'd likely be moving people around a lot too :twilightsheepish: