• Published 25th May 2023
  • 1,335 Views, 84 Comments

Being A Parent Is Hard - TheKing2001



Sunset deals with the effects of the Fall Formal while Cheerilee learns how hard being a parent can be. Together, the mother and daughter learn more about each other and deal with more challenges.

  • ...
2
 84
 1,335

Chapter VIII

Groaning, I rolled over and opened my eyes, glancing in the mirror on my wall. Holy shit, I looked awful. My fiery red hair was matted from rolling around all night. Didn’t get much sleep. Not sure why. Surprisingly, I’m very excited to finally meet my aunts and cousin. Mom has been talking about them for the past few weeks, telling me about them and some stories. I’m trying hard to not pick favorites but I think Aunt Berry Punch might be my favorite based on the stories Mom has told me. We both have anger issues, she used to speak before thinking, acts impulsively and well, that doesn’t really sound too far off from me. Don’t get me wrong, Aunt Cherry Berry sounds awesome too. But she was always the by the books one Mom said. Maybe I just naturally get attracted to rebellious people like I used to be back in the Dark Ages.

I slipped out of bed and got my legs caught in my blankets, faceplanting.

“Fuck my life,” I muttered. “That really hurt.” I hope Mom didn’t hear me cussing. She was pretty strict on no cussing in the house. Sure, she understood sometimes it slipped out or cussed herself if the situation was serious enough. I quickly learned that if Mom is cussing, it means two things. I should be worried and that I should be running in the opposite direction from whatever has her angry. Not because I was scared of her of course. I just wanted to avoid the drama. That’s been my goal recently, avoid drama at all costs. I was grateful to be on winter break so I could avoid the student body.

“Ready to go?” The door creaked open and Mom peaked in. “It’s a two hour drive and it’s three in the afternoon. If we wanna beat the traffic, we got to leave now.”

“Yeah,” I mumbled and untangled myself from the sheets. “Let me get a few cups of coffee or five.” Mom chuckled and pushed the door open the rest of the way.

“Your hair is a mess Sunset. Are you just now waking up?” She raised an eyebrow as she tossed me my hair brush. I caught it midair surprisingly. I thought I’d have caught it with my face. I grumbled as I started brushing my hair and winced as I fixed a knot.

“Yes. I have no school so I figured I’d sleep in. I love my bed. It’s one of my best friends,” I smirked at her confused expression.

“That works. You’re all packed right?”

“Mhm. Everything I need is already in the suitcase under my bed,” I set the hair brush down and groped under the bed, pulling my suitcase out. “Tada. Laptop, charger and clothes.”

“Why do you need your laptop?” Mom asked with a raised eyebrow.

“To watch movies while we are there,” I answered. I had kinda figured that was a given. Why else would I bring my laptop with?

“Yeah no. Berry has a TV at her house. Besides, don’t you want to get to know your family? This is the first time you’ve ever met them,” Mom asked. I gave a sigh.

“I do yes. But I’m nervous. What if they don’t like me?” I asked hesitantly. I wasn’t that good at opening up about my problems.

“They already do. Don’t worry about a thing. You finish waking up, I’ll take your suitcase to the car. We’re taking the Tahoe today by the way. Decent in the snow,” Mom took my laptop and it’s charger out, setting it on my desk before zipping it shut and carrying it outside my room. “There’s breakfast from this morning in the fridge still. Derpy dropped off some muffins again.” Derpy made the best muffins. They’re better than sex, according to Lyra. Apparently she randomly dropped off muffins at all her friends houses Lyra says. That girl is scarily nice, I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop. No one is one hundred percent nice. There’s always another side to people.

“What flavor?” I called out as I slipped on a orange skirt with my cutie mark on the side.

“Blueberry,” Mom called back. Now I was definitely getting a muffin. I love blueberries and anything with them in it. Blueberries are God’s gift to us all. I slipped a white bra and matching shirt, stepping out of the room and stretching.

“I’ll just grab a few muffins and we can leave,” I told Mom. She gave a nod as she carried her suitcase to the suv. We were staying for the remainder of winter break. This was going to be my first Christmas with actual people. I typically just stayed in a shelter for Christmas and got stuff like socks and a shirt. Thankfully I’m past that. Shelters are some pretty rough places depending on where you go. I grabbed the case of muffins and grabbed my jacket hanging off the coat hanger by the door. “Do you have the keys to the house?” Mom nodded and held up her keys, jingling them. I gave a nod of my own as we locked the door, shutting it behind us. We sat in the car and Mom started it, pulling out to the street.

“Here’s the aux cord if you wanna play some music,” she passed me the cord and I gave a grin. I personally always listen to Hollywood Undead in the morning. Helps wake me up. I plugged it into my phone and turned my favorite Hollywood Undead song on.

”🎵Now I see that mother fucker writing on the wall. When you see J3T thirty deep he’s down to brawl. Fuck those haters I see, cause I hate that you breathe, I see you duck, you little punk, you little fucking disease.🎵” Mom quickly yanked the aux cord put and gave me a dirty look.

“No Sunset. Just.....no!” She focused back to driving. I probably should have played more appropriate music.

“Sorry. I got a cleaner song for you.” Mom cautiously passed the aux cord back to me and I plugged it in, searching for a new song.

”🎵When I was fourteen I was fallin’ fast for a blue-eyed girl in my homeroom class, tryin’ to find the courage to ask her out was like tryin’ to get oil from a waterspout. What she would have said I can’t say. I never did ask and she moved away. But I learned somethin’ from my blue-eyed girl. Sink or swim you gotta give it a whirl. Life’s a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow. Don’t worry about what you don’t know. Life’s a dance you learn as you go🎵.” Mom gave a faint smile.

“Now that’s better.”

Author's Note:

https://youtu.be/7k4ujBGRGf8

https://youtu.be/IOjzS0axfMw

Songs here used in the story. All rights belong to the owners.