• Published 25th May 2023
  • 1,335 Views, 84 Comments

Being A Parent Is Hard - TheKing2001



Sunset deals with the effects of the Fall Formal while Cheerilee learns how hard being a parent can be. Together, the mother and daughter learn more about each other and deal with more challenges.

  • ...
2
 84
 1,335

Chapter XXI

I stared at the stage slackjawed as Snips and Snails rapped. This was quite honestly the worst thing I’ve ever heard. How they thought this was a good idea, I will never know. They were forgetting their lines and everything. My second hand embarrassment for the two was through the roof right now. Pinkie Pie was being Pie and bobbing her head enthusiastically to the music. If it could be called that. Snails was probably my favorite now that I think about it. Snips is just annoying as hell.

“Oh yeah! That just happened. Snips and Snails out yo!” Snips shouted as he dropped the mic. I instantly cringed and covered my ears. Jesus Christ, what does this kid think this is.

“Dear god,” Rainbow muttered. “Where is Rarity at?” We all shrugged. We hadn’t seen her in a few minutes. She had been right here a bit ago.

“Ahm not sure,” Applejack sighed.

“Take that Rainbooms!” Snips grinned as Snails pointed at his eyes and us. It had taken me a long time to understand what humans meant with their hands.

“I’m here! Hopefully I’m not late!” Rarity cried as she stepped in. I stared at in confusion. Mainly at what the fuck she was wearing. Who just wears shiny magnets as an accessory? Is that what people do here? “What? We are performing in front of a crowd. Am I not expected to look magnificent?” Applejack groaned and facepalmed.

“Knock em dead Rainbooms!” Spike cheered as they went on stage.

“I’ll be here....watching,” I sighed and rubbed my wrist. I felt a paw tapping my leg and glanced down at Spike staring at me.

“Are you okay Sunset?” He asked. I blinked and shrugged.

“Yeah sure. Why?” I lied and he narrowed his eyes.

“I’m a dog in this world,” he deadpanned. “I can sense when people are sad or upset. So what’s wrong?”

“Well you’re pretty perceptive,” I said in awe. I had of course knew dogs and cats could sense stuff but I didn’t know Spike could. That’s pretty cool actually but shitty he used it on me to be honest.

“Why thank you,” Spike held a paw to his chest and I ignored the music playing. I vaguely saw Rarity swinging around to my confusion. They didn’t tell me much but they didn’t tell me that was a part of the song. “Now spill.”

“Fine,” I sighed. “Keep this a secret. My mom and friends are under their spell. The Rainbooms intentionally bring up my past and Twilight did the same. The Rainbooms don’t treat me as their friend, they treat me as a chore Twilight assigned to them. They didn’t even invite me into their band.” Spike sighed himself and sat down.

“I know how you feel. In Equestria, I turned into a rampaging dragon and accidentally destroyed half the town. It was the talk of the town anytime anypony saw me. I’m used to it,” he said. “But they will come around. Just have patience.” I reached down and started scratching his ears. He smiled and leaned into it with his tongue hanging out of his mouth. “That’s the spot.”

“Thanks Spike,” I smiled back.

“Ruined! Absolutely ruined!” Rarity cried with tears streaming down her face. Applejack sighed and set down her bass.

“Were yah trying to make us look bad out there Rarity?” Applejack demanded. Rarity gasped and glared at her.

“This was not my fault! This was an act of sabotage!” Rarity growled.

“It wouldn’t have been possible if you didn’t insist on dressing like....like that!” Applejack pointed.

“What was with the confetti pinkie? I can’t shred with paper in my strings!” Rainbow held up a piece of pink paper angrily.

“It was pretty distracting,” Fluttershy whispered. Pinkie spun and glared at her.

“Says the girl who was running from a light the whole time! A LIGHT!” Pinkie shouted with her hands up. Alright, this was getting annoying.

“You guys still sounded much better than the other bands. You guys go find somewhere to practice, I’ll keep an eye on things around here,” I sighed. They gave me nervous looks but nodded. I mainly was going to try talking to Lyra and Bon Bon but I think they were up next so that chance was gone. Spike patted me on the leg as the girls filed out. Derpy sat down and started playing her saw as I gawked. So that’s what a musical saw was. It sounded very....different but worked when Raspberry Fluff played her triangle and Blueberry Pie played her cowbell like thing.

“Remember what I said. Be patient,” he smiled before following them. I sighed again and stepped out into the hallway and closed my eyes thinking. I shot them open when I heard foot steps and the Dazzlings were in front of me. I pushed my self off the wall.

“You’re never going to get away with this,” I grumbled.

“Why? Because you didn’t?” Adagio asked with a knowing smile and I froze. I didn’t think they knew my past. “Oh yes. We know all about you Sunset Shimmer. Turns out you got quite the reputation here at Canterlot High.”

“I’ve changed! I’m in a much better place,” I growled.

“Waiting in the wings while your friends have all the fun?” Aria mocked.

“Oh yes. You girls are so tight. And yet, they didn’t ask you to be in the band,” Adagio propped a finger on her chin.

“Probably figured no one would want to see them play if she was in the group,” Aria smirked.

“Too bad! So sad!” Sonata jumped from behind me. I hadn’t even seen her move.

“If it’s any consultation, by the time we’re done, no one will even remember you,” Adagio announced as she and Sonata hip checked me and entered the gym. I sighed and rubbed my side. They were right of course.

-------------------------------‐-----------------------------

“Because I’m powerful and great!” Trixie shouted and struck a pose with Lavender Lace and Fuschia Blush. I had been wrong about my Lyra and Bon Bon being next. Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna clapped as Trixie got off the stage. I rolled my eyes and waited to see who was next to play. The curtains pushed open and the three girls who I had just confronted by myself were on the stage.

“You didn’t know that ya fell now that you’re under our spell,” Adagio immediately started singing and I rolled my eyes. “Blindsided by the beat. Clapping your hands, stompin’ your feet, you didn’t know that ya fell. Now you’ve fallen under our spell.”

“We’ve got the music makes you move it. Got the song that makes ya lose it. We say jump you say “how high?” Put your hands up to the sky,” all three started singing. “We’ve got the music makes you move it. Got the song that makes ya lose it. We say jump you say “how high?” Put your hands up to the sky.” They really were a fan of repeating themselves I’ve begun to notice.

“You didn’t know that ya fell. Now that you’re under our spell. Listen to the sound of my voice,” Adagio smiled. “Captured in the web of my song. Soon you’ll all be singing along.” If they weren’t evil, they would be great singers. I quickly shook the idea out of my head. I didn’t know if it was possible for me to get influenced by their spell but I didn’t want to risk it.

“We’ve got the music makes you move it. Got the song that makes ya lose it. We say jump you say “how high?” Put your hands up to the sky.” I grimaced at seeing Trixie glare at me. Why she picked me, I’ll never know. “We’ve got the music makes you move it. Got the song that makes ya lose it. We say jump you say “how high?” Put your hands up to the sky.”

“You didn’t know that ya fell now that you’re under our spell,” Adagio finished singing and gave a very malicious laugh. Lyra and Bon Bon were holding Derpy back from fighting Bulk Biceps while Octavia was arguing with Photo Finish.

“Well this sucks.”

Author's Note:

Fun fact, if you rewatch under our spell, you can see Lyra and Bon Bon holding derpy back from Bulk Biceps so it's my basis for them being friends. They also appear as a trio a lot
https://youtu.be/jw3vWWu2_CM