• Published 25th May 2023
  • 1,335 Views, 84 Comments

Being A Parent Is Hard - TheKing2001



Sunset deals with the effects of the Fall Formal while Cheerilee learns how hard being a parent can be. Together, the mother and daughter learn more about each other and deal with more challenges.

  • ...
2
 84
 1,335

Chapter XIII

I grunted as I carried my bag down the stairs. I was actually pretty sad that our winter break was over and that we had to go back to Canterlot. Really sucked because Sunset was really getting along with everyone. Naturally, Berry was her favorite aunt but she didn’t want to say anything.

“Want help with that Aunt Cheerilee?” Ruby stood at the end of the stairs grinning.

“It’s a little heavy for you. You can carry my purse to the car if you wish,” I smiled as I handed it to her. She eagerly took it and ran out the door.

“Hey sis,” Berry was sitting on the porch drinking a beer. She crossed her legs and smoothed down her skirt. It was rare for her to wear skirts or dresses. She preferred jeans over skirts. She did look great in them.

“Isn’t it a bit early to be drinking? Its twelve in the afternoon,” I pointed out with a frown. “Also you should wear skirts more often. You look great in them.” A faint blush spread across my youngest sisters face.

“Thanks but I’m fine with jeans. I’m only wearing one because you and Sunny are here,” Berry sipped her beer before setting it down. “It’s a bit early for drinking yeah, but I prefer to have alcohol in my system everytime you leave. Makes it easier.” I sighed and sat down next to her.

“I know what you mean. We definitely need to see each other more often,” I said. “With Sunset here, we have more excuses to travel back and forth.”

“Yeah hopefully. Speaking of Sunset, where is she?” Berry looked around.

“She’s upstairs hanging out with Cherry real quick as she packs. She pushed it off till today and her room was a mess. Reminds me of back home a bit,” I sighed. “At least that stayed the same I guess, even two hours from home.” Berry let out a chuckle as Ruby ran up to us.

“I put your purse in the car like you asked, Aunt Cheerilee!” Ruby grinned and I mussed her hair with a grin of my own.

“Thanks for the help.” Sunset groaned as she lifted her suitcase and plopped it on the ground.

“Sweet Celestia,” she muttered softly. “Heavy.” We both chuckled at that.

“You overpacked silly. I told you that you wouldn’t need that much clothes,” I smirked. Sunset rolled her eyes.

“It pays to be prepared,” she shot back. “Always be ready for anything.”

“God, you sound like Cherry,” Berry muttered. “Ruby, did you say thanks to your cousin and aunts for the gifts they got you?” Ruby slowly shook her head. “Well, go do it please. They’re leaving for home shortly.” Ruby ran up and wrapped her arms around my waist.

“Thanks for the gifts, Aunt Cheerilee!” I squeezed her back awkwardly. It was kinda hard to do so at this angle.

“No problem. Anything for my favorite niece,” I grinned. She let me go and tackled Sunset.

“Oomph!” Sunset grunted as she hugged her back. “Careful next time please.”

“Sorry! Thanks for all the trains!” Ruby grinned.

“You’re welcome,” Sunset managed with a red face. I’m assuming from a lack of oxygen. Ruby let go before I could intervene and Sunset gasped for air.

“Need help loading up the car?” Cherry asked as she stepped out on the porch. I slowly shook my head. We had already loaded up the car, all we needed was our suitcases in the trunk or the backseat. Either or works for me.

“Thanks for the offer. We got it though,” I stood up and hugged Cherry. Berry groaned and stood up herself and held out a hand to Sunset. She gratefully accepted it and Berry pulled her up.

“Thanks.”

“No problem,” Berry sighed and hugged her. Sunset looked startled before hugging her back. “You have mine and Cherry’s numbers. Once you get ungrounded and get your phone back, text or call us sometime.”

“You got it,” Sunset promised as she and Berry separated. Cherry held out her arms expectantly.

“If she gets one, I do too. Get over,” Cherry demanded with a grin. Sunset rolled eyes with a smile and hugged her.

“I forgot how hard you hug,” Sunset gasped out as Cherry squeezed her.

“Sorry. Kinda my thing,” Cherry apologized as she gave her another squeeze before letting go. Sunset let out an appreciative gasp and nodded.

“It’s okay,” Sunset smiled. “C’mere Ruby.” Ruby gave her another hug. “Thanks.” I watched with a smile. I was really happy Sunset was fitting in well. I had honestly been kinda nervous that she would hide herself away and told my sisters that. Thankfully, they helped me combat that by forcing her into hanging out with them. According to Berry, she really opened up with her and I was pretty grateful for that. Ruby let go of Sunset and stood in front of my door to my car.

“You can’t leave if I don’t,” she growled. She was like this every time we had to leave unfortunately. Granted we only lived two hours away from each other, but we all had pur own lives and jobs that made meeting up hard. Cherry and Berry saw each other the most because they lived in the same town.

“They have to go kid,” Berry sighed as she stepped over and lifted her up. “Sunset has school and Cheerilee has work. But don’t worry, you can bet we are going to go see them in a little bit. Maybe even stay for longer than a week.”

“You better not be lying,” Ruby tried to narrow her eyes but the attempt only made her look cuter. I let out a snort and smirked.

“I’m not lying,” Berry rolled her eyes but smiled. “Been a while since we’ve all been in Canterlot.” I gave a nod as me and Sunset lifted our suitcases and Cherry opened the back door.

“Thanks sis,” I said as I slid my suitcase and held out a hand for Sunsets.

“No problem. Call us when you get home so we know you got home safely!” Cherry demanded.

“We will,” I promised as she gave us a group hug. “We really gotta hit the road. Love y’all.”

“Love ya too,” Berry grinned as she and Ruby watched the hug. “Drive safe.” I gave a nod as Cherry released us and Sunset got in the passenger seat. I shut the door softly.

“Thanks for helping me get her out of her shell a bit,” I focused on the three. Cherry gave a smirk and waved her hand.

“It wasn’t a problem. Don’t mention it.”

“See yall soon,” I went around to my side of the car and got in.

“See ya,” Ruby waved and I turned the car on after shutting the door and putting my seat belt on.

“You good Sunset?” I asked as I backed onto the road.

“Yeah. Just sad. I was having a good time but now we gotta leave. It sucks,” Sunset commented as she looked the window and waved to the trio in the driveway. I let out a sigh as I gave my own wave.

“I know how you feel. Saying goodbye is the hardest part of visiting my sisters and niece. Don’t worry though. We will see them in a few months if our plans go well,” I promised.

“Hopefully,” Sunset grumbled.

“Wanna pick out a song?” I asked with a grin. Sunset shook her head.

“You can.” I shrugged as I plugged in my phone to the aux cord and picked a song.

”🎵I’m lookin’ down the barrel of Friday night. I’m ridin’ on a river of freeway lights. Goodbye city I’m country bound til Monday rolls around. Gonna kick off my shoes and run in bare feet where the grass and the dirt and the gravel all meet. Goin’ back to the well, gonna visit old friends and feed my soul where the blacktop ends🎵.” Sunset gave a faint smile to my surprise. Didn’t really expect her to like country music.

“This is good for the road.”

Author's Note:

All rights belong to the song writer.

https://youtu.be/5347wMozv2c

Doing something different next chapter and it's going to be from Lyra's POV. Hopefully you enjoy. Saying goodbye when visiting family is always hard as fuck. All my family lives hours away. Well except for two but meh. I also realized that I've been posting a chapter everyday or even two since I've submitted this story. Holy shittt