• Published 9th May 2023
  • 354 Views, 1 Comments

Harry Potter & the Obligatory Adventurer - ScarletRhine



A young man receives an invitation to attend a school for magic.

  • ...
6
 1
 354

Harry Potter & the Obligatory Adventurer Ch - 3

Tom looked up from his bar as McGonagall and a boy dressed in muggle attire walked in from Diagon Alley, he frowned as he couldn't recall watching them enter. "Hello." He said amicably. "Enjoy the Alley?" The boy smiled, saying, "So far. Now I would like a room until September first." Tom taken a back by the boy's request and asked, "you sure you afford it lad?" McGonagall spoke up saying, "I assure you Tom, young Mr Viator can." Tom nodded and wiped the bar down. McGonagall then wall to the fireplace and flooed herself back to Hogwarts.


Alex closed the door and went to the table and opened the ledger the goblins had given him. On the first two pages were two messages to him or more likely the family head whoever made the first visit to Gringotts. I first message read, "In accordance with the agreement made in the Rite of Ownership the rent agreed upon has been (or in the process of being) transferred. Second as the Overseer has given you the job of Vault Master giving final say on who has access to their Vault. You may also bar Items from the vault and have any banned items confiscated and placed in a holding vault. The disposition of said items is left to you discretion. You may also demand any loans to be payed in full.

May the roads you travel be safe & You vaults overflow with the gold of your enemies. Overseer of Gringotts.

The second read, "Vault Master, the wizards have done something foolish. "

Alex sighed. That second message was referring to the events of the Objection. He shook his head then went over the ledger. "Hmm." Alex mused. "All but two of the Wizarding Families that were enemies of the clan have died off. That's odd. I guess I'll ask Professor McGonagall when she comes to help me shop. Ugh. It seems the Malformed family survived damn to luck, worse they're richer bet they plundered the minor vault under Traveler's Redoute. The Notts though they took out a loan from the clan. Hmm. Not was influential before The Objection maybe the Notts could help me get on the wizengomet in exchange for clearing the debt."


Two days later, professor McGonagall walked into Alex's rented room. She took a seat and said, "Mr Viator. You seen to have knowledge that magic exists. I would like to know how you came about that knowledge." Alex nodded then said, "My family has known magic was real for 15,000 years or 750 generations."

McGonagall looked on in shock at the revelation. "How is this possible recorded history that only goes back 6000 years?" Alex sighs. "My clan hadn't grown as big as it is now when the great Library of Alexandria was destroyed. Tonnes of knowledge was destroyed, Including history. My family had kept their own copies of history so we have knowledge on things that the rest of humanity has been rediscovering once knowledge was allowed to flourish again."

Alex sighed before continuing, " 1689 The Objection happened. Because of weak blood idiots who wrongly believed they were superior to members of the tech tribeā€¦"

"Tech tribe?" The Professor asked. Alex nodded. "Nomajes to Americans, and Muggles to the rest of the world." He clarified. "As I was saying, Because of weak blood idiots who wrongly believed they were superior to the tech tribe and their doing what they pleased the muggles started doing the infamous witch hunts in 1689 AD the Statute of Wizarding Secrecy was penned. The clan head at the time inquired about a time and if steps would be taken for the Arcane tribe to rejoin their brothers. When he was told none for both he walked out of the gathering which later morphed into the Wizengamot. To this day the clan observed the Statute while working behind the scenes to make magic more acceptable to the tech tribe with was made easier when Issac Asimov published, 'Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.'" Alex poured himself a glass of orange juice and took a drink. McGonagall puzzled through what Alex said and asked, "Who're the weak bloods you mentioned?"

Alex finished his Orange juice and replied, "Purebloods." He then got up and asked "Shall we go shopping?"


Their next stop was Madam Malkin's Robes for all Occasions. When they entered the shop it's proprietor walked up to them and asked, "Shall I make you your school robes, dearie?" Alex shook his head. "No, I'm afraid." He said. "Instead I have a challenge for you. I'd like a set of cloaks made to be indistinguishable to robes at a quick or casual glance yet can be removed quickly should the situation need. I'll pay you triple the cost for a set of school robes." Madam Malkin hurried off to make the custom order. Professor McGonagall looked at him and asked, "Why'd you make that order? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to get a set of robes?" Alex shook his head before replying, "Robes are too cumbersome. If you need to move out of the way of a hostile spell, get out of the way of an out of control wagon, or a charging beast intent on making you it's next meal, a robe could tangle you up or trip you. A cloak on the other hand you can cast off or use as a defense, a cloak wrapped around your arm can shield you from death spells, even the dreaded Adava Kadava." McGonagall's eyes widened, "It's impossible to survive that unforgivable curse." Alex chuckled, "The belief of both the target & caster in addition to the ambient magic in the area are what empower spells. An object can't believe in anything, or non familiar animal who can't comprehend its environment will always be affected. While familiar, and any sentient race it's a test on the strength of belief. The side whose belief is stronger wins. If the cast's belief is stronger the spell goes off like she planned. If the target's belief is stronger then the hostile spell will either fail or have a lesser effect. For example a spell that either launches fire or lightning will only do half expected damage. I was taught that hostile magic wasn't guaranteed to work on people." Alex finished talking to Professor McGonagall when Madam Malkin returned to give Alex his cloaks and said, "There you go dear. Three cloaks that resemble robes unless you look closely. Here's your receipt. He touched his key to the receipt and the register rang. "Next stop, the book store." He stated.

Author's Note:

I deleted a small portion because it felt wrong. My apologies .