• Published 28th Mar 2023
  • 2,524 Views, 350 Comments

My Little Pony: Make Your Mark In Love - SamSwordsman123



After everyone thinks they're a couple, Pipp and Hitch realize their feelings for each other and start dating. Meanwhile Zipp, Sunny and Izzy also search for love. Unknown to them, Opaline continues her attempts to take all magic for herself.

  • ...
6
 350
 2,524

Chapter 21: The Fall of Maretime Bay

Opaline faced her opponent. He looked at her with determination, but if her past few days of training to prepare for leading the next attack on Maretime Bay herself had paid she would absolutely crush him. Now was the time.

“Don’t hold back, General,” Opaline told her second in command.

“Yes, my queen,” Bloodheart said.

He shot a beam of his red magic at her. It was powerful enough to give her a bit of a challenge blocking even with her current level of power that she’d absorbed from Sparky. Her one-time unicorn lover was aging, but had an adequate amount of experience to hold his own against her power. She’d heard he even fought against Misty and that other unicorn. Too bad Flurry Heart had arrived and prevented the fall the city. But that would change this time. Opaline had decided to change her plans, she’d take Maretime Bay herself and get her son back by force. Unless something happened.

Opaline blocked the attack and followed up with one of her own. Her raw power was enough to push Bloodheart back a few steps before he steadied himself. He then teleported off to the side, a trick that almost caught Opaline by surprise, it had been a long time since she’d faced an opponent that could use advanced magic. Compared to him, facing Sunny and her inexperienced friends had been a cakewalk. Misty had been a slight challenge since Opaline herself had trained her, but she’d still managed to defeat that traitorous unicorn.

Opaline spread her wings and flew as Bloodheart shot another beam, singing the wall. That would have be cleaned later, Opaline made a note to have a unicorn that specialized in cleaning spells found.

She flew around Bloodheart and he turned a bit too slowly. She shot him in the back and knocked him down, her younger alicorn body that had been blessed with the gift of immortality allowed her to outmaneuver the older unicorn.

She smiled wickedly. “I believe I have recovered my old skill… at least somewhat. “

“Very good my queen,” Bloodheart said.

“Now, it is time for ME to attack Maretime Bay,” Opaline said. “I’ll get my son back, and capture Sunny Starscout and her friends! They will not escape me this time! I will have the Unity Crystals, and when I’m strong enough… all the magic in Equestria! Except for those that are gifted and loyal.”

“Yes your highness,” Bloodheart said with a bow.

Opaline made her way to her throne room and activated her magic pool. Right’s face soon appeared as he unsheathed the dagger she’d enchanted to allow her to communicate with him.

“Right Light, you have your mission,” Opaline said. “Succeed and you will be rewarded with that false princess! Then you shall rule Zephyr Heights as my regent of Pegasi!”

“Yes your highness,” Right said bowing his head as well.

She ended the message then stepped outside. Her dungeons had been quite crowded, but she’d put many of the stallions under mind control to fight for her. The mares and foals were still being held below. She’d keep them for the time being either trade them to Sunny (provided this attack did not work) or let them go back to their old lives in Maretime Bay, once they bowed to her. It shouldn’t be difficult. Ponies tended to be rather simple minded. They’d follow her rule no problem.

The mind controlled stallions all stood in her army which had grown to nearly double the size it was in the first attack.

“March!” Opaline said.

The sound of hooves marching filled the area around her. Opaline flew above, with Bloodheart and Dirty Fighter in the front. Today was the day she took Maretime Bay, then she would take Zephyr Heights next, and Bridlewood afterwards. Those three areas were the pillars of Equestria. Then she would go beyond, and conquer the entire world. Everycreature across it would bow to her. Many creatures used to look down on ponies, thinking them weak. They would soon discover otherwise and see the fear she could inspire.

Sunny entered the Sheriff Station with a tray of four different smoothie flavors.

“Hey, Fireforge!” Sunny greeted warmly.

Opaline’s son looked at her and managed a light smile. She was a little shocked that she’d warmed up to him knowing his identity and the fact that he’d attacked her home. Of course she was hopeful that he might turn to her side with the loss of his memory.

“Hi Sunny,” Fireforge said.

“I thought you might like a smoothie,” Sunny said as she put the drinks through the food slot.

Hitch suddenly came back in to the station.

“Hey! Sunny! No visiting prisoners when there’s no Sheriff to observe!” he scolded.

“You weren’t here!” Sunny objected. “And you really expect me to break him out?”

“No but-

Suddenly they heard trumpets sounding. Then an alert on their phones sounded and they drew them out, seeing the message on the screen.

“Attack incoming!” Hitch said.

“Oh no! Opaline sent her army again!” Sunny said. “And she might be here this time!”

“My evil mother?” Fireforge asked.

“Yes,” Sunny said looking at him.

“Come on Sunny! We need to get out there!” Hitch said as he ran out.

Sunny was about to follow but heard a call from behind.

“Sunny! I can help!” Fireforge said.

Sunny looked back, she looked at him and saw the look of desperation in his eyes. Was it really an offer to help? They’d have three alicorns in that case. But was it a trick? Maybe he’d just tried to play her? Get her to open up and trust him so she would one day let him out and then betray her? But somehow, Sunny’s instinct told her he was telling the truth. She grabbed the spare key’s from where Hitch kept them in his desk, so to avoid unicorns using their magic to free themselves. She turned them and opened his cell, silently hoping he wasn’t going to betray her.

He didn’t, he nodded and ran outside with her following.

Zipp heard the alarms and flew down to the front door of the brighthouse. She was surprised to see Right Light enter.

“Right? Aren’t you coming?” she asked.

“I would, but somepony has to guard the Unity Crystals,” Right said. “See you soon, I hope.”

She smiled at him. At that moment, Misty and Izzy both came running down as well.

“Let’s go!” Misty said.

The three of them headed out. Pipp was at Mane Melody but would likely be engaging as well. Zipp just hoped they would be able to repel this invasion as well. They had two alicorns on their side, and Fireforge was locked in jail. Hopefully they would be able to defeat Opaline this time.

“Remember, keep the main group of heroes separated!” Opaline commanded her forces as they neared Maretime Bay. “We can’t have them use any sort of friendship and unity magic against us! Just like with Twilight Sparkle, we divide and conquer! Keep her separated from her friends and they will not be able to use their ultimate magic!”

Her subordinates nodded below.

They soon arrived and saw the remaining opposition. Sunny’s friends were there along with Misty, two dragons and…

“Well well well, Flurry Heart!” Opaline said as she saw the other alicorn from the olden days of Equestria.

“Opaline,” Flurry greeted curtly as she flew over the defenders of Maretime Bay.

“I’m surprised to see you here… alive,” Opaline said. “I thought I was the only alicorn who had learned to acquire immortality from within.”

“My love for my parents, Aunt Twilight, and what remains of my family has managed to keep me going,” Flurry said defiantly. “And I will see their legacy upheld once I defeat you!”

“We’ll see!” Opaline said. “Where is my son!?”

“He’s locked up where he won’t hurt anypony!” Flurry said.

At that moment two figures suddenly arrived. Opaline glanced down at them and saw Sunny and Fireforge. They stood beside her friends which now included Misty. All of them looked at her and Fireforge in surprise.

“Sunny what’s he doing here?” Hitch asked in surprise and fear.

“Helping us,” Sunny said.

Opaline gritted her teeth. “Fireforge get up here!”

Her son looked up at her with sad eyes. “So… you’re my mother who wants to take all the magic of Equestria?”

“It is mine by right!” Opaline said. “You have a claim on it as well! You are an alicorn and deserve the power! Only those that are truly gifted have a right to wield magic! Lesser ponies waste it!”

Fireforge closed his eyes for a moment, then shook his head. “No, I can’t let you do that! I must stop you!”

He flapped his gray wings and flew up beside Flurry Heart who frowned at him but didn’t object.

“Well, now we got three alicorns,” Zipp said. “This might make our odds better.”

“Right, if I can just transform into an alicorn!” Sunny said as she focused.

“Oh no you don’t!” Opaline shouted.

She fired a beam of her blue-purple magic at Sunny and hit her on the chest, knocking the convertible Earth Pony back. Sunny flew with a scream.

“Sunny!” Fireforge yelled in concern.

“No!” Izzy cried out dramatically.

“Sunny!” Flurry yelled in concern for her long-lost daughter as well.

She then glared at Opaline. “You dare hurt my daughter?”

Opaline’s eyes widened in surprise. “Daughter? Sunny is your… ah. I see. So that’s why she is an alicorn.”

Wrong, Flurry thought.

“You’ll pay for that! And what you made my Aunt do!” Flurry declared, as she charged in full of anger.

She shot her yellow magic out at Opaline who put up a shield of blue-purple magic that burned with fire. It blocked the attack, but Opaline was still sent back. She retaliated and the two alicorns began to duel, soaring through the sky and shooting magic at each other.

“Attack!” General Bloodheart ordered.

Their mind controlled forces began the second attack on Maretime Bay, charging forward. There were even more of them then last time, with Hitch seeing several stallions that he recognized must have been captured and added to the army. This included Toots, the green pony who always wore a tie. He grit his teeth in fear.

Come on Hitch your citizens need you. He told himself.

His face formed a determined look.

“Everypony! And every critter!” he shouted. “Defend your home!”

From the bushes around the houses of Maretime Bay, the various creatures living in the city such as racoonicorns, bunicorns, pegasnails, and ordinary birds and crabs as well. Hitch had made his own efforts to come up with a new plan of defense and enlisted the critters to help as well. The pegasnails flew the racoon and bunnicorns out and they landed on the faces of various ponies. The racoonicorns used their fangs claws to bite and scratch the invading ponies while the bunnicorns could only bite. They flung whatever they could out at the invaders such as gathered garbage and rocks. It worked to delay the onslaught.

Zipp and Misty led the Pegasi from above on their wings, normal Pegasi wings for Zipp and butterfly for Misty. Rocky and Thunder as well as other members of the royal guard flew at their side. Misty was rather nervous as she was at the head of an army, but Zipp remained calm. Pipp meanwhile, was tending to Sunny who’d suffered a bad burn.

“Oh you’ll be okay,” Pipp said as she put some healing spray on Sunny who flinched.

Sunny then pushed herself to her hooves and looked up at Flurry Heart. She was about to try and transform into an alicorn when one of Opaline’s soldiers came charging at her. The Earth Pony was tackled to the ground as Pipp screamed next to her.

“Get off me!” Sunny said shaking him off.

The soldier pony swung a hoof at her that she just managed to dodge. But before her opponent could launch another one, an orange beam shot him in the back of the hoof. He fell down in pain and Sunny saw that it was Fire who had come to her and Pipp’s rescue.

She hated to have to fight, but there was no choice.

“Try and capture ponies alive!” Sunny shouted. “Many of them are put under mind control by Opaline!”

“Got it!” Fire said.

Izzy fired beams from her horn, using a sleep spell she’d learned from the books Misty stole from Opaline. She managed to put several ponies to sleep, unfortunately the continuous casting soon drained her strength and she was panting. Then a new foe approached her and she was fear struck to see General Bloodheart again.

“Uh oh,” she said recalling how he’d beaten both her and Misty last time.

“Ah the same unicorn that fought alongside the traitor last, you’ll have to be punished accordingly. But don’t worry, I’m not like my Lieutenant,” Bloodheart said with disgust. “Still you’ll have to face the consequences of defying the queen!”

“She has no claim to rule over Bridlewood!” Izzy said. “Or Maretime Bay!”

“She is an alicorn! That makes her a ruler by default!” Bloodheart said.

“Sunny ain’t a ruler!” Izzy said. “Now go back to your stone bed old colt!”

She shot a sleep spell at him but he easily deflect it, sending it back at her.

“Wah!” she barely managed to dodge her own spell that would have put her to sleep.

“You think a few days of practice will be enough to save you when you couldn’t beat me with your friend last time?” Bloodheart asked.

As if on que a cyan beam shot from above and rained down on the soldiers. Misty, now being able to fly and use magic, was in a similar class to alicorns… or buttercorn in her case since she had butterfly wings.

“That’s a high level spell,” Bloodheart said with an impressed look. “Surprised she’s managed to learn it so quickly.”

He then shot at her with his bloodred magic. His spell canceled out her wings and Misty fell with a scream.

“Misty!” Zipp yelled and flew to her future step sisters rescue.

She caught Misty before she could hit the ground and set her down gently. Izzy got to her hooves and the three of them looked at General Bloodheart.

“Let’s see how you like three against one Bloodyheart!” Izzy said, mispronouncing her foes name.

Bloodheart was unsure, he might have a lot of experience but his body was old. Maybe when he was a bit younger. Fortunately he saw out of the corner of his eye that Opaline’s forces were doing well, the little bitty critters had only proved a minor distraction. Hitch was now battling Dirty Fighter once again.

“Take that you dirty cheating brute!” Hitch said as he landed a hoof punch on the Earth Pony.

Dirty grunted as he stumbled back then put his hoof on the ground, causing thorned vines to sprout from it. They struck at Hitch like whips and tore at his fur before wrapping themselves around him. Hitch grit his teeth and tried to put his own hoof on the ground to even the playing field but Dirty rose him into the air and began running the thorns along him. Hitch screamed.

Bloodheart turned his attention back to the three mares he was facing. Two unicorns and a Pegasus. He did notice however that Izzy was still panting slightly. He smirked and fired his red magic at her, intending to rid the fight of at least one foe.

Misty lit up her horn.

“Izzy!” the blue unicorn yelled as she put up a shield around her friend.

It deflected Bloodhearts high level beam that would have done serious or even fatal damage. But it went up slightly into the sky right at-

“Hitch!” Misty screamed. “Nooo!”

But the beam hit Hitch, it had been weakened when it was deflected but it still considerable damage.

“No! Hitch!” Pipp screamed as she saw her coltfriend faint in midair.

Bloodheart felt a bit of pity for the stallion even though he was an enemy. He was still a sheriff, and that was something the general could respect him for. Dirty however, grinned and tossed his fellow Earth Pony away.

“Well that should do!” Dirty said as he walked up and joined Bloodheart, evening the odds.

Bloodheart didn’t altogether like Dirty as he would do things that were particularly heinous, but Opaline kept him since he could be useful to her with his particular talents of fighting dirty and committing torture. He was often able to pry information out of their enemies back in the day, though he more often did it for his own amusement. At least he could count on that stallion to have his back now. Or could he?

Zipp growled as their momentary advantage faded. She flapped her wings and charged at Dirty Figher in midair.

They continued battling all around. Flurry and Opaline in the sky high above, Fireforge and Pipp looking after Sunny and now Hitch, who had been levitated over by Fireforge. Zipp managed to get ahold of Dirty Fighter and hoist him into the air, he yelled in fright as he was lifted up.

“Let me go!” he struggled before seeing how high they already were. “I mean, don’t me go!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure you have a short drop!” Zipp said as she threw him hard onto a nearby roof.

He landed with a painful grunt. Zipp smirked. Down below she saw that the critters and defending ponies as well as the two dragons were managing to back the invaders, finally things were looking in their favor! Zipp had feared they might be on the losing side after the last two battles had proven too much for them, but they might actually have a shot at this. With all the defending ponies that had decided to come out rather then hide like last time, and the fact those ponies had magic they were winning! Unless something happened to turn the tide they might just win today.

In the Crystal Brighthouse, Right Light made it to the top where the Unity Crystals were kept. He’d flown when the elevator refused to take him to the top, it was said to be powered by the crystals themselves. He drew his dagger and stabbed the glass, good thing it was sharpened by the finest sharpener in Equestria. The glass broke and Right reached in, grabbing the Unity Crystals, he looked out into the distance and saw the scene. Looked like the defenders were winning. He looked at the crystals.

“Looks like things might need a little adjustment.”

He punched the crystals, breaking the set apart so that the three of them separated.

Zipp flew down to the ground to help her friends against Bloodheart again. Izzy and Misty were managing to overpower his beam with their own combined set, cyan and purple against red. The two younger unicorns reached the older one’s horn as he gave a look of fear. After Opaline, her commanders were probably the greatest threat. If they could defeat them they could then focus on her and it would all be over.

“Finally, we’re winning!” Zipp said.

But at that moment, something changed in the air. A sinking feeling filled all the ponies in Maretime Bay and moments later all of Equestria from Bridlewood to Zephyr Heights. Pegasi fell with screams as they lost the ability to fly, the same held true for Flurry and Opaline who were both fighting with rage fueled by their motherly instincts. Fireforge for Opaline, and Sunny for Flurry. They both let out shouts of fury as they prepared to fire for the fiftieth time at each other. But their magic was canceled out and both alicorns fell with screams. Fortunately (or unfortunately for those that were either of their enemies) both of them landed on tarped entry ways facing each other on Mane Street that cushioned their falls.

“What happened?” Opaline asked as she got up. “Did somepony damage the Unity Crystals?”

Then it occurred to her and she smirked. “Good.”

Without their magic, the defenders lost the advantage. The invaders pressed the attack and began to shackle ponies.

“The Crystals!” Zipp said in realization. “Somepony must have gotten past Right Light!”

She looked back at the Brighthouse. “Misty with me! Izzy! You and the others do what you can! I have to go make sure the crystals are okay!”

Misty nodded and joined.

“Go!” Izzy said, knowing they needed their magic back as she prepared to face General Bloodheart herself. “I will deal with this dark unicorn!”

Suddenly an Earth Pony soldier under Opaline’s control, which was still somehow active even without the magic of Equestria tackled her.

“Wah!” she exclaimed. “How are you still under mind control?”

Opaline chuckled as she watched in the distance. “I may not have been able to practice magic but I could strengthen my mind and study new even more powerful forms. I found one I believe was strong enough to stay even in circumstances like this, just like my immortality! Lucky for me, otherwise my army would now be turning against me right now! My mind control still remains, but I can’t use magic for the moment. Ah well, just have to deal with this hoof to hoof for the moment.”

She jumped down from the tarp she’d fallen on, her tall alicorn body ready to deliver some powerful physical attacks even with the temporary loss of her magic.

Zipp and Misty sprinted to the Brighthouse, unable to fly for the moment but if she could stop whoever had separated the crystals and get them back together they could still turn the tide.

But when she was getting halfway there, she saw Right Light making his way toward the battle with… the Unity Crystals, two of them still connected in his hoof and the other in his teeth.

“Right? What are you doing?” Zipp asked confused.

Right gave her a wicked smirk. “Oh just helping the new queen of all Equestria in her goal.”

Zipp’s eyes widened and her mouth fell open in shock and dismay as she took in the words. Misty meanwhile, frowned angrily and pointed her hoof.

“I knew there was something off about you! You were the one Opaline had me send that letter too before I defected! Damn I wish I’d remembered for sure it was your name on the envelope!”

“You’re working for Opaline?” Zipp said as tears escaped her eyes at the fact her favorite suitor had betrayed her. “Then… you must have killed Dune Sweeper!”

“Yeah,” Right admitted. “Sorry Princess, this isn’t what I originally planned but I’ve wanted to be ruler of Zephyr Heights all my life! And nothing will stop me!”

“We will!” Misty said stepping forward.

Right just grinned and put the Unity Crystals back together. They glowed and reconnected, then Right Light flapped his wings and took off. Everypony felt the magic inside them relight. Misty tried to shoot Right down but missed and he kept flying.

“No!” Zipp said shaking her head.

“Zipp, snap out of it!” Misty said. “We have to focus on saving Maretime Bay if we still can!”

Before they could come up with a new plan however, a scream sounded in the distance and they caught a glimpse of Opaline’s fire. The alicorn was back in the air as her power was returned. She sent a large stream of it around, and more screams followed as ponies were blasted. Opaline then turned her attention to the nearby buildings.

“Behold the end of the old Maretime Bay, and the rise of the new one where I shall make my next fortress!”

She began blasting the buildings as she flew, the sight caused the two below to look at her in shock for a moment, then Zipp felt a surge of rage.

“Opaline!” she shouted as she flew after the alicorn.

The evil queen looked at her and send an orb of magic her way. It hit her but didn’t hurt, instead trapping her in a bubble that brought her back down to the ground. Opaline then flew to the Brighthouse.

“Sunny should have had a castle constructed instead and declared herself princess or a ruler of some kind,” Opaline said as she sent another blast of fire out.

The Brighthouse was lit up, and not in a good way. Zipp’s mouth fell open as she saw the place that had been her home for about a year now begin to burn. She’d helped Sunny and the other rebuild it after Sprout destroyed it the first time. Sunny would probably be crying now if she were seeing this.

Misty made her way up to Zipp and inserted her horn in the bubble before running magic through it. That freed Zipp who was about to charge Opaline again. But Misty held her back.

“We can’t take her alone!” Misty said.

Remembering last time they’d faced Opaline, Zipp could only reluctantly agree.

“Lets get back to the others,” she said.

Sunny regained consciousness just in time to see her home destroyed a second time.

“No! The Brighthouse!” she screamed as she watched the Brighthouse burn on the other side of town.

There might not even be anything left of it this time for her to salvage. Tears escaped her eyes. This was the worst day ever.

Flurry who had been trying to stop the invaders who had gained much ground in the brief moment that magic had disappeared, saw it was a lost battle. There were just too many of them, and they’d disabled to many of the defenders who were tied up, injured, or burned by Opaline when she took off after magic returned again.

“We have to retreat!” she ordered.

“Mother, no!” Sunny said. “This is my home! I can’t let it be destroyed… anymore than it already is!”

“I’m sorry, Sunny but we have to live to fight another day!” Flury put a hoof on her daughter.

Fireforge was working to maintain a large shield that kept the invaders from getting to them. Spike and Ember stomped the ground as they used their hard scaled bodies to do the same.

“We have to go Sunny,” Pipp said as she struggled to lift Hitch’s bloody and badly injured form.

Zipp soon returned with Misty.

“We have to get out of here,” Flurry said. “Everypony get on!”

“Where’s Sparky?” Pipp asked.

“Heere!” squeaky voice said as Sparky appeared on Ember’s back holding onto one of her spines.

“Get on!” Spike said.

The ponies did so. Fireforge lowered his shield and flew up. The dragons then took off with the ponies on their backs and a handful of Pegasi carrying other ponies following them. Zipp saw Thunder carrying Rufus and was glad her other suitor hadn't betrayed her.

Opaline spotted them leaving and smiled wickedly.

“You may escape today Sunny Starscout but I will have you, and your mother! And my son back as well!” she declared.

Then somepony approached her. It was Right Light and he had…

“Ah, the Unity Crystals!” Opaline exclaimed. “At last! I will need more power still before I can absorb them, but I will! And then all magic shall belong to me! Except for those who prove themselves worthy to keep it!”

She landed on the ground and saw the new batch of prisoners. Sprout, Phyliss, Jazz, Rocky, and many others were there.

“Now, meet your new ruler Maretime Bay!” Opaline said.

Author's Note:

Okay so another chapter out already. I wanted to get this story done quicker but I might be reconsidering as I kind of miss my other stories. Maybe I’ll return to my old schedule of doing this story once a week. Its only nine more chapters after this one. Looks like I bit of a different turn from my plans but that can easily be fixed. I mentioned Opaline planned to trade hostages for her son a couple chapters ago but that wasn’t supposed to happen for a couple more chapters.