• Published 28th Mar 2023
  • 2,526 Views, 350 Comments

My Little Pony: Make Your Mark In Love - SamSwordsman123



After everyone thinks they're a couple, Pipp and Hitch realize their feelings for each other and start dating. Meanwhile Zipp, Sunny and Izzy also search for love. Unknown to them, Opaline continues her attempts to take all magic for herself.

  • ...
6
 350
 2,526

Chapter 20: Double Dates and Dragons

Author's Note:

Well just 10 more chapters to go. We are 2/3 of the way done.

Zipp had extremely mixed feelings on having to go on dates with her suitors. First she did like Right Light at least, Thunder was not quite so intriguing given his low confidence and clumsiness. She enjoyed the dates with Right Light more, but Thunder had spilled smoothie on her last time. If something happened like that again she might have to disqualify him, then she’d just have Right Light left as a suitor. That would hopefully allow her to have more time at least. Once she was down to one suitor she’d have more time to focus on trying to find ways to stop Opaline. She’d practiced her flying and even had Izzy and Misty attack them for practice several times in the last few days. They’d managed to put up a better fight last time then they did in their first battle with Opaline, but they needed to become even stronger. Zipp and Sunny had taken on Fireforge and still been defeated, while Hitch had been beaten by that Dirty Fighter, and Misty and Izzy defeated by General Bloodheart. Not to mention all the ponies that had been captured.

The heir to Zephyr Heights sighed. “We’re really on the losing side right now it seems. We probably would have lost Maretime Bay if not for Flurry and the two dragons arriving.”

“I know,” a voice said behind her.

Zipp looked over her shoulder and saw Misty standing there, her butterfly wings still attached to her. They’d last three days according to what she’d told them about the spell she’d put on herself.

“Oh morning Misty,” Zipp said. “Are you gonna be using those from now on?”

Misty shrugged. “Don’t know.”

“You know, that does look kind of regal,” Pipp said as she suddenly appeared. “You could pass for a Princess of Zephyr Heights no problem! You might even look more royal then me or Mom!”

“What about Zipp?” Misty asked.

“Well she doesn’t really look too royal without a tiara now does she?” Pipp said giving a teasing look at her elder sister. “No offense Zipp!”

“None taken,” Zipp said.

She looked to her investigation board. It had been cleared out the contents that included Misty, Twilight’s message, and the lantern since they now knew all of those had been because of Opaline. But now there were two new pictures up there for Zipp’s latest mysteries. One a picture of Opaline on a dark background, with red eyes shining at them and an evil grin on her face. Underneath was a post it note asking, how do we defeat her? So far the only answer Zipp could come up with was practice practice practice. Hone their abilities and become stronger as Earth Ponies, Unicorns and Pegasi. They’d made progress but they couldn’t defeat Opaline’s minions. Unless she’d gotten weaker then they were, which was a possibility since they’d seemed pretty well trained and equipped for combat. But Zipp had a feeling Opaline would be working to get stronger as well, she wouldn’t be foolish enough to let her minions be stronger then her would she?

The other mystery was who killed Dune Sweeper? Zipp’s picture showed the brown ponies body with blood on the ground and x’s in his eyes.

Who? Where? What? When And Why? Zipp knew the location was Maretime Bay, What was it was a murder, When… she knew the time. But the two w’s she couldn’t figure out right now were Who and Why.

Who had had murdered Dune Sweeper and Why? Could Opaline be involved, Zipp had a feeling she was somehow. So that was at least one possible who, but could there be another one? But if Opaline was involved then why? What could she gain from the death of one of Zipp’s suitors? Or was it her at all? Could there be somepony else out there that could benefit from his death? Had somepony hated him enough to do that? Or was it because he had been a suitor to her, Princess Zipp? Could somepony had been jealous of him and wanted the chance to court her instead? If not for the threat of Opaline, the fourth place candidate from the race might have possibly been moved up. Thankfully Queen Haven was busy with other duties as well. But could Right or Thunder be involved? Could one of them be the killer? No, not Right Light, Zipp quickly pushed that idea away. He seemed like a good pony and Thunder, for all his clumsiness, didn’t strike her as a killer.

Zipp sighed, unable to figure it out.

“So Zipp you ready for your first date with Right Light this morning?” Pipp asked. “Then your lunch with Thunder?

“Yeah,” Zipp said. “Please don’t put me in a fancy get up though! I’d much rather do this as myself!”

Pipp sighed. “Okay, if you insist. But I’m gonna dress up! Cause me and Hitch are coming with you on a date to make it double!”

She headed to her bed while Misty went downstairs, leaving Zipp with her thoughts for a moment. Then Zipp suddenly remembered something that might be good to add.

“Oh I need to think of a way to save all the ponies that got captured!” Zipp said quickly sketching a drawing of Opaline’s castle as best she could remember. “I’ll have to ask Misty if there are any secret entrances we could use to sneak into the dungeons!”

An alarm went off on her phone. She sighed. “But I’m out of time.”

She had to go out on her first date today. Pipp returned in a blue dress and her mane braided.

“Overboard much?” Zipp asked. “We’re not exactly going to a fancy restaurant for breakfast!”

“We always have to look our best on dates!” Pipp pouted getting out her phone and starting a live. “Hey Pipsqueaks, I hope you’re all doing well!”

Her thoughts wandered to her main trio of Pipsqueaks and worry again filled her.

“Let us all hope that the ponies who have been captured by our nefarious enemy are rescued soon! But we have make sure to enjoy peace as well, and we will be doing our best to get those ponies back. My sister Zipp here is probably working on a plan already!”

She put Zipp into her phone, the elder sister grinned nervously.

“Uh, yeah!” Zipp agreed. “We’re gonna rescue all of them… or you if you’re one of the ponies that Opaline captured.”

Seashell, Glory and Peach Fizz watched the livestream from their cell, thankful they had a signal at least.

“Please hurry Princess Pipp!” Seashell said with fearful tears in her eyes.

Glory looked at their neighbors across the way in concern. “How’s Posey, Windy?”

The older Pegasus mare looked at them through the bars with a look of sadness. “She’ll be okay. In time.”

That gave the young trio a moment of relief. Windy’s ears drooped. It was true Posey would be alright in the long run. They’d managed to get some healing cream from General Bloodheart and applied it to the lashings as well as her… other wounds. Windy just hoped her friend would not have anything else to deal with. The torture she’d endured was sure to leave more than just physical scars.

Hopefully it would all work out.

Pipp and Zipp went to meet Right Light and Hitch. The two sisters made their way down the stairs of the brighthouse, through the door outside, and into the guard camp along the path. Two of their Pegasus guards walked with them to keep them safe. They headed to the restaurant and found Hitch and Right already there.

“Morning Pipp!” Hitch said addressing his marefriend (as they were official now). He then added. “Morning Zipp!”

“Morning Hitch,” Pipp said with a bright smile before kissing him on the cheek, earning a blush from the stallion.

“Hey Hitch,” Zipp greeted her friend first before turning to her date. “Hey Right Light.”

“Princess Zipp, Princess Pipp,” Right said before bowing like the gentlecolt he was.

“Well, you’re pretty formal aren’t you?” Hitch noted. This was the first time that he and Pipp had ever really interacted with him.

“Good to finally have a chance to get to know my sisters possible special somepony. Don’t tell Thunder but I think you’re her favorite! Pleasure to meet you!” Pipp said approaching him and offering her hoof to shake.

He took her light golden hoof and brought his lips to it. Pipp blushed this time and Zipp and Hitch both made faces mixed with a little surprise and jealousy on either side of them.

“The pleasure is all mine your royal singerness,”

Pipp laughed. “Royal singerness!? Ha! That’s a new one! I like it! Formal and funny! But careful you don’t make my sister jealous! You’re courting her not me!”

“Just being a gentlecolt,” Right said. “That’s the RIGHT thing to do with mares!”

“Not so sure my sister would agree,” Pipp said with a giggle.

“Eh, I’m getting used to it from him,” Zipp said. “Plus he’s a pretty good flyer!”

“Well, maybe we can go flying after breakfast, Zipp,” Right said opting to call her by her shorter name now. “I know you prefer that, but I didn’t feel comfortable saying it till now. Hope that’s fine.”

“More than fine,” Zipp nodded.

They all sat down, Hitch made a point to pull out Pipp’s chair for her, not wanting to take a chance that Right Light might be a better gentlecolt then him. He then pushed Pipp’s chair in and then sat next to her. Soon they were talking among themselves, well another pony watched them.

Misty lowered her newspaper from the table across the way, though it didn’t really hide her wings too well. She frowned at Right Light, there was something about that stallion she felt was off. Could he be the pony she’d sent that letter to for Opaline? Her last task for her former mistress before she turned on her. She couldn’t remember the name on the envelope. If only she’d not simply focused on delivering it. She couldn’t accuse him without fear of stirring up trouble, she didn’t want Zipp mad at her, especially if she was mistaken. For now she’d keep an eye on him.

“Misty?” Zipp asked as she noticed the blue unicorn ahead of them.

“Hey guys! Didn’t expect to see you all here!” Misty said.

“Uh, we told you we were coming here!” Pipp said.

“Oh silly me!” Misty said nervously.

Zipp frowned. “You’re acting kind of strange Misty. Almost like you were when you were spying on us? You’re not back on Opaline’s side are you?”

“What? No, of course not that’s not it at all!” Misty said quickly growing angry. “Its just…”

She sighed. Unsure what to say.

“I thought maybe we should stick together,” she said, which was sort of true. She had to look out for her friends now.

“I guess that makes sense,” Zipp said.

They all ate their breakfast when it came. Then the two Pegasi went for a flight while Pipp and Hitch went to their jobs. Misty, meanwhile followed Zipp and Right Light on their flight. She stayed a bit behind them, Zipp didn’t mind thankfully. Misty was as new a flyer as all Pegasi had been when magic first returned. She saw nothing out of the ordinary as they went on.

“Well good flying Right,” Zipp said extending her hoof to shake his.

He took and shook rather then kissed. Then he stepped forward, his face inches from her, facing her cheek.

“If you don’t mind, princess,” Right said.

Zipp sniggered. “Quite the charmer, aren’t ya?”

Right chuckled. “Got a princess wrapped around my hooves I guess?”

“Yeah,” Zipp admitted.

And he kissed her cheek. Zipp smiled.

“Well, guess I got one more date with Thunder,” Zipp said. “But I think know who I want. You.”

“At least for now huh?” Right asked.

Zipp nodded. Who knew if this relationship would last but it was pretty clear who the winner of the current courtship was unless Thunder made a massive come back when Zipp saw him.

The time came a few hours later then her next date happened. Thunder met her at the Brighthouse when she returned.

“Hey Thunder,” Zipp greeted.

“Zipp,” Thunder bowed his head.

There was a moment of silence. Zipp wanted to let him be the one to make the first move.

“Well, everything’s normal here,” Thunder said. “The Unity Crystals are still up in the brighthouse and working fine.”

“That’s good,” Zipp said.

“And everything else seems fine, but that could change at any moment,” Thunder added as he looked toward the main city of Maretime Bay in fear.

Zipp looked at him. “You don’t strike me as much of a brave pony.”

“I’m not, I’m kind of a chicken,” Thunder admitted.

“Why’d you join the Royal Guard then?” Zipp asked.

“Well, it pays the bills and is a big honor,” Thunder said. “I wanted to make my father proud. He was a royal guard too.”

“Was?” Zipp asked.

“He was killed in the line of duty,” Thunder said. “Rounding a gang of criminals with your father. Right before he also-“

Zipp’s mouth fell open. She would never have imagined they had something like that in common.

“I only remember a bit of my dad,” Zipp said sadly.

“Same with me and my father,” Thunder said his ears falling. “Zoom, she was his lieutenant and took me under her wing when I joined the guard. She tells me I need to act confident, but I… just don’t know how. I feel like every time I come close to encountering something I just can’t do it. I was so scared of an Earth Pony and a Unicorn when we ran into Sunny and Izzy the first time.”

“Hey so would almost anypony else,” Zipp said.

“You didn’t. You befriended them,” Thunder reminded her. “From what I heard of the story you were there just before Zoom and I arrived. You said things got a lot more interesting, you weren’t scared. Neither was Zoom, she stayed nice and calm.”

“Well what did you do when Opaline’s forces attacked?” Zipp asked.

“I just hid,” Thunder confessed.

Zipp looked at him silently. Now that she thought about it, she hadn’t seen him fighting in the recent battle.

“I’m a failure of a guard… and a son. I should probably resign… from both this courtship and the guard,” Thunder said.

Zipp was almost tempted to say yes. But recalling something her mother had told her as a foal, as well as knowing that Thunder had lost his father same as her, she knew it wouldn’t be right.

“Don’t give up!” she said. “What you need is a confidence boost!”

She then tackled him to the ground, much to his surprise.

“Come on! We’re gonna practice fighting like we practiced flying that one day in my flight school!” Zipp said.

She let him get up and face her.

“Uh, I might get in trouble for hitting a princess!” Thunder said.

“You won’t!” Zipp assured her. “This princess can take a punch or two!”

Thunder came at her and threw a hoof punch but Zipp easily blocked and landed a soft blow to his side. They tried both on the ground and in the air fighting. But Zipp was too agile for him. However, he did have greater strength then she did, and he did focus on that with his strikes.

“Try and be quicker!” Zipp suggested before sending a flurry of hoof strikes at him.

The speed of her attacks was enough to overwhelm him, he managed to block her first but the next set got through.
They continued this with Thunder doing badly at first. But with time and effort, he managed to block her strikes and then hit her back.

“Keep going!” she told him. “Don’t give up!”

She knocked him off his hooves as he charged at her.

“Better! Don’t give up!” Zipp said.

“Don’t give up! Don’t give up!” she repeated the words her mother had told her when she’d first tried flying.

And after about two hours their efforts were rewarded. She flapped into the air and spun around before throwing a kick with her hind leg. Thunder blocked it and even took hold of the leg and spun her around, sending her against a nearby tree. She grunted but was alright. He then walked over and helped her up.

“Well that’s much improved,” Zipp said. “How do you feel.”

“Like I might have career as a guard after all,” Thunder said with a smile, his eyes filled with a bit more confidence. “Helps to have the help of such an amazing princess.”

Zipp smiled at him. He’d managed to buy himself some more time at least with his common history with her and the training today. A little confidence, kindness, and a lot of effort was sometimes all it took.

Both their cutie marks glowed brightly.

Hitch looked at Spike and Ember, his shift had ended a little while ago. They were in the hills near Maretime Bay as the two dragons were a bit big for Mane Street. Sparky sat next to Hitch. There was a moment of silence and Hitch sighed before looking at the two grown dragons.

“He is your son,” Hitch said. “He should return to you. Its only right.”

“Maybe so,” Spike said. “But you’ve raised him well so far.”

“He’s certainly a unique dragon. None of hatchlings in our time had wings as soon as they were born,” Ember said proudly.

“But you’re right, he is ours and he should return to us.”

“Ember!” Spike scolded.

“What? Its true!” the dragoness said.

“Maybe,” Spike said. “But Hitch is a bigger part of his life then we are. Think of how it will hurt him to be parted from Hitch. I was always scared of being sent away by Twilight.”

“So… what? We leave Sparky… or is that even his name?”

“Eh, I kind of like Sparky,” Spike shrugged. “Not too different from my name. But… I think that he and Hitch have a special bond. Just like me and Twilight.”

He looked down, recalling his former boss and adoptive big sister who’d raised him. He’d helped her write scrolls to Princess Celestia, perform her magic experiments, get her supplies, and been along for every friendship lesson with their friends on the way. Rarity, his first crush. They’d all had good times until the end when they’d been stranded on that island in the dragon lands without magic after it was sealed away. They’d all passed and left him behind, but he treasured the memories he had of them, and would continue their legacy. One day, in some millenia, or perhaps soon in battle with Opaline or some other villain that rose in the more distant future, his time would come too. No creature lived forever.

“It was our bond that first allowed ponies and dragons to become friends,” Spike reminded her. “If I’d been born in the Dragon Lands, or never been sent to the pony territory I suppose then we would have never made friends.”

Ember sighed. “Good point I admit. But what about us and Sparky.”

“Maybe we can work out a deal, trade off every now and then?” Hitch wondered. “Like he stays a month with me and a month with you?”

“That could work,” Spike said.

“Hmm, I prefer to have more time with my son!” Ember stood up and folded her hooves. “But seeing how Spike turned out I guess it would be a good idea for Sparky to have a pony parent as well. Okay, I agree.”

They all smiled at each other.

“When do we start?” Hitch asked.

“I think… best to wait until after Opaline is defeated,” Spike said. “We’re staying here at least until then or something else happens.”

He looked up at the sky, imagining Twilight and the others looking down at him.