• Published 28th Mar 2023
  • 2,524 Views, 350 Comments

My Little Pony: Make Your Mark In Love - SamSwordsman123



After everyone thinks they're a couple, Pipp and Hitch realize their feelings for each other and start dating. Meanwhile Zipp, Sunny and Izzy also search for love. Unknown to them, Opaline continues her attempts to take all magic for herself.

  • ...
6
 350
 2,524

Chapter 10: Meet the Enemy

Misty made her way to Opaline’s castle in the dead of night, her horn lighting her way with a small amount of light. If she had her cutie mark it probably would have been brighter. Ah well, she’d get her cutie mark soon. But she couldn’t shake the feeling it might not be worth it. On her back, Sparky snored softly for a while and then woke once they were about halfway there. He made his cute baby dragon coos and tried to get off, but she took him in her cyan magic. He levitated beside her.

“You’re not getting away from me this time!” Misty said. “I’m sorry but I have to do this. Don’t worry, you’ll see Hitch again soon, I think.”

Misty then suddenly remembered that Opaline had said something about wanting the ponies to be there. She hadn’t left a trail, but hopefully that wouldn’t be too much of a damper on things. Besides, it was the dragon fire that Opaline wanted most of all. But Misty still worried.

Finally she arrived at Opaline’s castle and made her way into the entry which was also the throne room. Misty felt the feeling of remorse increase with every step as she climbed the stairs to Opaline’s private bedroom at the top of the main tower.

“Opaline, I’m back!” Misty called as she knocked on the door.

There was a faint yawn from beyond and the sound of hoofs hitting the floor quickly followed. Misty heard her mistress and adoptive mother walking to the door and opened it with her hoof.

“This better be…” Opaline trailed off as she saw Misty holding Sparky in her magic. “…true. You did it! You got me the dragon! I can’t believe it!”

Opaline’s tired face lit up with a bright smile as she took Sparky in her own magic and walked down the steps Misty had just climbed. Misty followed as Opaline took Sparky to the castle rooms. They entered the one across from Misty’s. A bit further down the hall, the blue unicorn saw the entrance to the dungeons.

Opaline took Sparky into the room and set him down. He sat there looking up at her in fear, as though sensing her evil intentions.

She gave him a small but still wicked smile. “Don’t worry, little dragon. I won’t hurt you… too much. Well, only in order to restore my power.”

“What are you going to do with him once you have the power?” Misty asked, a little fearfully. “Will he be of no further use to you?”

“Not in his current state,” Opaline said. “But he is the only dragon I’ve ever seen in hundreds of moons! He might be silly little baby at the moment but if he were to grow up and become loyal to me I could certainly make use of that large dragon. I’d be a fool not too!”

Misty felt slightly reassured by that. At least she wasn’t planning to hurt Sparky.

“Now, are the other ponies on their way?” Opaline asked.

“Not yet,” Misty said. “I was more focused on getting Sparky out without being seen.”

“Hmm, no matter, that’s the important part,” Opaline said as her horn lit up. “Now, I can start getting my power back!”

Her magic wrapped around Sparky, forcing his mouth open and traveling down into his throat. His dragon fire was drawn out and transferred into Opaline’s horn. It lasted for a moment and then Sparky’s fire faded.

“Ah, that feels so much better,” Opaline said as she ceased the drainage spell, and Sparky fell to his stomach looking tired. “A bigger dragon would have a larger reservoir of fire. But this will do, I’ll just have to let him recharge and then I’ll repeat the process until I’m strong enough.”

She then yawned. “I still need to sleep as well.”

Misty also yawned. “That sounds like a good idea, I really want to…”

“Oh no!” Opaline said rounding on her. “You still have to lure the other ponies here! Go back there and find them! Tell them some lie about how you saw another pony take the dragon and followed them!”

Misty looked down, “Yes, Opaline.”

She then made her way back out of the castle, bags forming under her eyes from lack of sleep. Opaline meanwhile, returned to her bedroom after locking the door to Sparky’s room so he couldn’t get out. Not that he could move right now but he’d recover in a couple hours.

Misty grew more and more tired as she made her way back to Maretime Bay. Finally she emerged from the woods around it.

She sighed in agitation, her hooves sore from all the walking. “I wish I could just teleport to places! That would save me a lot of time, and sore hooves!”

She looked up at the sky. Dawn was still a few hours away.

“Maybe it will be okay if I just take a little rest?” Misty said as she curled up on the ground with a yawn.

She was unable to help herself against the enormous level of fatigue that had built up. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Hitch awoke in the brighthouse, still feeling tired. But he slowly came to, the tiredness wearing off. He felt a small pressure on his shoulder and saw Pipp resting her head there. He smiled at her and looked around, seeing Sunny, Izzy, and Zipp. He had a feeling something was missing but couldn’t figure it out for a moment. Then it clicked.

“Sparky!” he yelled getting to his hooves and getting off the sofa.

Pipp lost her balance as she slept once Hitch left, so her head plopped softly onto the sofa. It was still enough to wake her, and her emerald eyes opened.

“Ah,” she yawned. “What’s wrong Hitch?” she asked as she rubbed her eyes.

Hitch looked around. The sun had risen outside, filling the bright house with light.

“Sparky’s not here!” he exclaimed.

The commotion caused the three other mares to wake up.

“Something going on?” Sunny asked.

“Oh nothing,” Hitch said trying to play cool. “Sparky’s just not in the room right now.”

“He’s probably playing hide and seek,” Izzy said. “You said he likes to do that.”

“Lets just have a look around,” Zipp said as she got to her hooves.

They searched the entire brighthouse from top to bottom, making sure to also check out the closet that he had been in the last time he’d disappeared.

“No sign of him!” Hitch exclaimed fearfully.

Zipp looked around and noticed something else… or rather somepony else… was missing.

“Hey, Misty’s not here either!” she said.

“You don’t think Sparky is with her do you?” Sunny asked.

“Why would she leave without saying goodbye?” Izzy asked.

“That pony has always been strange!” Zipp said. “You know I suspected she was the one that stole your lantern Sunny!”

“What?” Sunny exclaimed.

“But I found the lantern in the garden!” Pipp said.

“Yeah, but somepony still had to take it!” Zipp said.

“Misty wouldn’t do that!” Izzy said shaking her head.

“Just like she wouldn’t be from Bridlewood?” Zipp asked. “I’m telling you there is something off about her!”

“Zipp, calm down!” Pipp said. “Lets just look and see if we can find them!”

They headed outside and split up. Zipp and Pipp took the skies while Sunny, Izzy and Hitch looked in the city. It wasn’t very busy at this time aside from a few ponies. But Zipp soon found the pony in question near the entrance to the woods.

“Aha!” Zipp exclaimed as she flew down toward the blue pony that stood out on the green grass.

She landed and looked at Misty who was sleeping soundly.

“Hey, wake up!” Zipp said tapping the unicorn with her hoof.

“Huh, what?” Misty awoke with a start.

“WHERE’S SPARKY?” Zipp asked furiously. “You might have the others thinking you’re all sweet and innocent but my instincts are never wrong! You expect me to believe it’s a coincidence that you’re gone from the Brighthouse in the morning when Sparky is too?”

“Uh,” Misty hesitated.

“You’re coming with me!” Zipp said grabbing hold of Misty and flying off to join the others.

“Wah!” Misty screamed.

Zipp soon found her sister and they gathered the others.

“Okay, I found Misty!” Zipp said once they were all together. “But no sign of Sparky!”

Hitch glared at the blue unicorn. “Alright, I have to admit it was pretty suspicious for you to be gone too! So you better have a good explanation!”

“I do…” Misty said looking down. “I saw somepony dragonnap Sparky last night!”

“What?” Hitch exclaimed in concern.

“Then why didn’t you wake any of us up?” Zipp asked.

“I tried!” Misty lied. “But… the pony cast a spell that kept all of you from waking up. I guess I just got lucky and they didn’t notice me! I followed them! I know where they went, I tried to get back and see if you guys were awake but I was so tired from chasing after the dragonnapper and running back to get help I collapsed! I didn’t even manage to get to sleep before the pony broke in!”

Izzy scoffed. “See, Misty tried to help us!”

Zipp was still suspicious. But she had no evidence to back it up. She sighed. “Did you see what the pony that took Sparky looked like?”

“Yes! She was big, and she had both a horn and wings!” Misty said.

“An alicorn!” Sunny exclaimed.

“The evil alicorn!” Zipp said. “She’s still around, just like I thought!”

“But what does she want with Sparky?” Pipp asked scared.

Hitch took a few deep breaths and looked at Misty. “You said you know where she took him?”

Misty nodded. “I followed her north along the coast! There’s a really scary castle there!”

“We have to go there then!” Sunny said. “To the marestream!”

They got in and Zipp piloted the vehicle. As they headed north, into uncharted territory, the sky grew dark, lightning flashed. But through the darkness they could make out the sillouette of a building.

“Ooh, spooky!” Izzy said.

They brought the Marestream in for a landing. Stepping outside, the group of six ponies looked around. There was a dark castle in the distance over looking a river. But around them were many statues of ponies.

“Nice statues,” Pipp said.

Zipp inspected them, noticing some Pegasi statues that were in flying positions that had split in half.

“You don’t think these were once living ponies do you?” she asked. “In some of the old legends from Twilight Sparkle’s time there were cases of ponies and other creatures being turned to stone!”

“I don’t know,” Sunny said.

She caught sight of another pony, an alicorn with a warhammer in his hooves.

“But right now we need to free Sparky!” she said.

They began walking toward the dark castle.

Pipp shook. “I usually like horror movies, but its way scarier being in a place that’s actually dangerous!”

She took Hitch’s hoof. “You’ll protect me right?”

“Sure,” Hitch said nervously. “Don’t worry Pipp, your stallion is right by your side.”

Though he was unable to suppress the look of fear on his face even as he grinned.

Pipp sighed. “Great, we’re doomed.”

They soon made it to the front doors and opened them, finding a throneroom filled with tapestries bearing the symbol of a crown with blue flames around it. Magical torches lit the room. In front of the throne was a pool of some sort, and on the throne sat a dark purple alicorn with a curved horn and cyan-white mane. Sparky levitated next to her in a lavender bubble.

“Welcome,” she greeted them. “I’ve been expecting you!”

She got off her throne and walked toward them. The Mane 5 assumed battle stances.

“Who are you?” Sunny asked.

“I am Opaline Arcana!” the alicorn said. “Rightful Queen of all Equestria and owner of all magic!”

“So you’re the one that Twilight warned us about!” Zipp said. “You tried to steal magic hundreds of moons ago!”

“That’s right,” Opaline said. “I killed Celestia and Luna, those weak little ponies who always thought less of me! I would have taken the rest of the magic in Equestria as well if not for Twilight sacrificing her power and immortality to create the unity crystals! But history lesson not withstanding I offer you an accord! Join me, I’ll spare you, let you have your dragon back once I have all the fire magic I need, and let you keep your own magic. I do appreciate the fact that you brought it back after all, even if you follow misguided ideas of friendship, unity, and equality.”

The Mane 5 stood firm as Misty watched fearfully.

“It was friendship that brought magic back in the first place!” Sunny said. “Magic is not meant for just one or even a few ponies! Everypony should have equal opportunity!”

“Ha!” Opaline scoffed as she circled them. “The truth is that not everypony is created equal, some are smarter, like you Zipp Storm!”

She pointed at the elder of the two pegasus princesses. “You were on the prowl for me for a while, weren’t you?”

“How do you know?” Zipp asked.

“I’ve been watching you all for some time,” Opaline said gesturing to the pool before her throne. “My magic pool lets me see what is going on in Equestria.”

Zipp put a hoof down. “We’ll never join you!”

“Yeah!” Izzy said.

“Not a chance!” Sunny said.

“No way!” Pipp agreed.

“I won’t let you hurt or steal magic from anypony!” Hitch said. “Now give me back Sparky!”

“Afraid I can’t just yet! But I’m sure you’ll come to see things from my perspective in time, one way or another,” Opaline said. “I tried to teach you to act like a proper alicorn Sunny Starscout!”

Sunny looked at her in confusion. “What?”

“The alicorn mirror,” Opaline elaborated. “I’m the one who gave it to you!”

Sunny’s mouth fell open. “I thought that was you, Pipp!”

The younger pegasus’s ears fell in embarrassment. “Whoops.”

“I had a little help of course,” Opaline said. “Isn’t that right Misty?”

The blue unicorn walked around the Mane 5 and took her place at Opaline’s side.

“Misty what are you doing?” Izzy asked.

Opaline chuckled. “She’s been helping me all this time, my dear adoptive daughter!”

Misty looked at her in surprise. Opaline had never actually called her her daughter before.

“You’ve done very well, Misty,” Opaline said.

“Um, thanks Opaline,” Misty said.

The Mane 5 all looked at Misty in shock. All except for Zipp.

“I knew it!” she said pointing ones of her silver hooves. “I knew there was something off about you, Misty! Err! I should have followed my instincts! So you were behind the lantern missing!”

“Yes,” Misty admitted. “I delivered the mirror to you Sunny, I trapped you and Pipp in the cave, Zipp. And I’m the reason Sparky went missing that time you found him in the closet as well!”

“You did that?” Hitch asked angrily.

“No!” Izzy exclaimed. “I thought you were our friend!”

“Yeah!” Pipp said with a look of heartbreak.

“I could still be,” Misty said. “Please, reconsider joining Opaline!”

“Misty, we don’t beg!” Opaline said. “If they will not yield to my superior mindset, I will make them! Or destroy them!”

Her horn lit up and before any of the Mane 5 could react, she encased them in a magic bubble just like Sparky’s, but bigger.

“Hey, let us out!” Sunny said as she tried to escape with her hooves.

Izzy tried to conjure her magic but it vanished as she did so. Zipp likewise flapped her wings but nothing happened. This bubble was disabling their magic.

“Afraid I can’t right now,” Opaline said as she caused the larger bubble to levitate. “We’ll talk later. For now, enjoy the hospitality of my dungeon.”

She flung them down a flight of stairs nearby as they screamed. They only caught a glimpse of their surroundings as they moved at a fast pace. Faster then even Zipp or perhaps the Marestream could fly. They were put into a cell which opened as then approached and then locked them in.

“No!” Hitch exclaimed. “Sparky!”

Misty watched as her friends vanished into the dungeon below. Opaline turned to her.

“Good work Misty!” she said cupping the young mare’s chin. “I’m so very proud of you!”

“Does this mean I’ll get my cutie mark?” Misty asked, feeling less enthused by the idea then ever. “Have I earned it?”

“Yes, you will have your reward,” Opaline said turning to Sparky. “As soon as I have enough power to destroy the shield trapping me here and free my army!”

Author's Note:

Well that feels like a good place to stop. I had hoped to get the whole thing done in one chapter but I realized that would be too much when compared the links of the rest of the chapters unless I want to make one really big compared to the rest. So, had a few similarities to the last episode of Make Your Mark with the bubbles trapping the Mane 5, though in this instance that was only briefly. I always planned on them being sent to a dungeon when I started writing this story and imagined how they would meet Opaline and be captured. So now its up to Misty to save them just like in canon. Hope you guys like my version. See you again in a few weeks since I’m going to be focusing on another story for a while. Expect the next update to occur around the 29th of this month.