• Published 27th Mar 2023
  • 733 Views, 73 Comments

The Witless - Reviewfilly



After illegally harvesting apples at her own farm and meeting a sketchy benefactor, Applejack must try her hardest to keep her morals as she stumbles up the rungs of the social ladder.

  • ...
1
 73
 733

16. Is Your Honour Deaf Or Something?

And so, Applejack didn’t even realise at first that the night had passed and it was the day of the trial.

Early into the morning two carriages stopped next to the Acres. Applejack, who had since been dragged into her bed by Mac, was woken up by her door flying open as ten ponies squeezed themselves into the room, surrounding her and securing the premises. Only slightly embarrassed by the sudden audience, she slowly wiped the drool from her mouth and crawled out of her bed with a horrifying case of bed head and a pounding headache.

Upon seeing her state, the leader of the group quickly suppressed a mare-like yelp and graciously gave her a few minutes to freshen herself up. Amidst fervent apologies as she shoved herself through the group, Applejack stumbled out into her bathroom and glared into the mirror. The terror that stared back at her prompted her to take fast corrective action—which she did by messily splashing a bit of water on her face. Once she looked merely terrible instead of outright tragic, she was led by the guards into one of the carriages waiting outside, which took off the moment she got in.

The cart flew like never before, as if it were chasing time itself. What took a train a good hour, it did in twenty minutes.

With a loud screech it came to a halt in front of the Royal Courthouse. Applejack peeled herself from the front wall of the carriage and then stumbled out, hooves shaking and heart beating in her ears from the bumpy ride. She took a few deep, calming breaths, then looked around. She finally noticed where she was.

She whistled in amazement as she stared at the gigantic arches and columns that held up the building’s roof. Long banners fluttered in the wind, the emblem of the Moon sewn into them glinting from the early light of the Sun. The courthouse towered over the rest of the street, as if the building itself watched over any and all criminals with the never-sleeping eyes of law.

Applejack probably would have gawked for a while longer, if the carriage’s door didn’t slam open, with a hoof pointing towards the top of the stairway in front of her. She gave a nod and began walking up the long set of stairs leading up to the entrance, wondering how the lawponies could afford to be so fat when they had to climb so many steps each day.

Finally, after a minute or two of firm climbing, she reached the landing. Pinkie Pie was already waiting outside, nervously pacing back and forth. The moment Applejack appeared, Pinkie immediately sprang and hugged her, nearly sending the two tumbling down.

As she returned the hug, Applejack noticed how Pinkie’s mane seemed to almost shine in the early morning light and her coat seemed to be even pinker than usual. Despite her skittishness, she flashed a huge smile at the soon-to-be-witness.

“Oh, Applejack, I’ve been waiting for you for such a long time!” Pinkie broke out, her voice wavering with anxiety. “Big day for us all, isn’t it?” She finished her question with a short, high-pitched giggle that rang false to Applejack’s ears. “Is everything alright?”

Applejack frowned as the memories of the previous night flooded back into her mind. “Not exactly, Miss Pie. My trees are seriously ill an’ I couldn’t really do anythin’ about it. An’ I couldn’t even say goodbye to my lil’ sis or brother properly before y’all dragged me here.”

Pinkie’s smile fell. She cleared her throat awkwardly. “These are not exactly the sweetest times.” She nodded along in sympathy, before looking deeply into Applejack’s eyes. “But we’re not giving in, are we, Jackie? You know, life is no marzipan cake.”

“I know.” Applejack’s frown became even deeper.

Pinkie walked around and inspected her from all angles. “Jackie, why are you looking so…” She paused looking for—and failing to find—the polite word as she beheld her tragic state. “Messy?”

Applejack blinked a few times. “I’m not sure what you mean, Miss Pie,” she replied slowly. “I look like I always do.”

The edge of Pinkie’s lip quivered. “Mhm, exactly the issue,” she pushed out, before shaking her head. She looked back at Applejack with determined eyes. “Well, we can still fix this. We’re not giving up. We didn’t spend weeks on nothing, this is our… no, this is your day.” She gave Applejack’s flank a playful, encouraging spank. “You have to look the part too!” she said, before turning towards the imposing gates. “Let’s go!”

Pinkie led Applejack into the building, and the splendour within was even greater. As they walked over a deep purple carpet leading them deeper inside, statues depicting lawponies of old stared back at them from both sides, their firm expressions and dark stone eyes staring deeply into Applejack’s soul, looking for the slightest hint of guilt. She glanced back nervously, suddenly feeling less like a witness and more like the suspect.

Instead of walking up the staircase at the end of the chamber, the duo stepped off the carpet and entered a small side-room. A grim looking batpony guard stood at the door. The mark of a pair of scissors cutting into colorful fur was on his otherwise dull midnight-blue flank. Pinkie beckoned him inside too.

“Sergeant Shears, this mare requires express cleaning. Right here, right now. Get your stuff ready,” she ordered him. He turned towards the door to get his equipment. “And remember, cleaning only, no shaving. I expect no more incidents,” Pinkie yelled after him, then turned to Applejack, who was staring at the unfolding scene with wide eyes.

“Uh, Miss Pie, what was that all about?”

Pinkie waved dismissively. "Oh don’t worry about it. Do you want to go over your testimony one more time?

“Nah, thanks. Rainbow beat it into my head plenty well enough.”

Pinkie shook her head. “Come on now, Jackie, a little repetition never hurt anypony,” she said, putting emphasis on her words.

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Fine, fine, I’spose I could give it one last glance. I did have a mighty rotten night after all.”

Pinkie reached into her mane and stirred it around, pulling out a stack of papers, which she quickly gave to Applejack, who began reading it.

“Remember Applejack, all you have to do is give the audience a super memorable testimony.” Pinkie’s eyes glinted as she intoned the words.

Applejack meanwhile continued to read, understanding less and less. She flipped to the last page and scratched her scar, then flipped back, when realisation suddenly kicked in. “Miss Pie, beg pardon, you’ve given me the verdict.”

“Oh, whoopsie-daisy,” Pinkie facehoofed with a nervous giggle, before taking the papers from the mare and stuffing them back into her mane. This time she fished out the right package. “All these sleepless nights, you know? We got four legs, yet even we stumble occasionally,” she said to nopony in particular.

“True enough,” Applejack agreed with a nod, then delved into the papers.

But before she could properly settle in, the door opened and Shears entered again. He was carrying a saddlebag with various creams, ointments and a sponge sticking out. In one hoof he was carrying a bucket full of water.

“See, Jackie, we’re not afraid of a lo— a little grime. Ahem,” Pinkie cleared her throat. “Well either way, good luck you two, I still have some things to prepare.” On the way out Pinkie turned towards Shears again. “Once again, cleaning only,” she said in a low tone, browns furrowed before leaning even closer and almost whispering, “She’s one of mine and if a single hair of hers is bent the wrong way I’ll make sure to squeeze in a private disciplinary hearing. Understood?” With that she left the room, leaving Applejack alone with the guard, who stared at her intently.

Without saying a word he packed out his equipment and stirred a foam. “Put those down, before they get wet”—he nodded towards the papers Applejack was holding—“and stand here.” She complied and the guard began working the thick mixture into her mane and coat.

A minute passed in silence, broken only by the squelches of foam, when Shears suddenly broke the silence. “Do you use anything to keep your coat so soft?” he asked.

Applejack shrugged as much as she was able to as Shears continued to work on her coat. “Nah, just water and a lot of fresh air outside.”

“It has a beautiful texture,” Shears mused loudly. He playfully ran a hoof down one of Applejack’s locks. “Mm, I bet it would make a nice sound when cut.”

“Umm, what do you mean by that?” Applejack started to feel slightly uncomfortable from his enthusiasm.

“Oh, nothing, nothing,” he said quickly. “Please just relax.”

Soon Applejack was covered from head to hoof in foam, making her appear like a pony-shaped cloud with emerald eyes. Shears was about to reach into the bucket with the sponge to clean her off, when the door opened again and two other ponies entered.

Applejack blinked, thinking the foam made her see things. But no, as much as she closed and opened her eyes, it was no trick of the soap—the ponies who slowly made their way through the door and smiled cheerfully at her were still the same. Blood rushed into her head.

“Flim and Flam!” she yelled, taking a thundering step towards the angelically smiling duo. With measured movements and a strong grip, the guard pulled her back.

“For Her Majesty’s sake, stop moving! You’ll spill the water,” he said.

“What are you two no-goods doing here?” Applejack asked, now fuming from a safe distance.

“Oh, Applejack, ever so dramatic! Don’t be so upset, we’ve no quarrel with you,” Flim replied.

“Mm-yeah, we’re just here to do what we already said we would,” his brother continued.

“You expect me to remember what you two rotten swindlers said?” she spat from under the layers of puffy foam. “Your words are worth less than mud, 'cause that at least lets things grow in it.”

“If you continue to struggle, the soap will get in your eyes,” Shears interjected quietly. “I will take no responsibility.”

“Exactly, Applejack, exactly. Listen to the nice guard. You should learn some calmness and manners. We’re here the same way as you are…”

“You could say you and us are partners in this! We’re witnesses as well!”

This hit Applejack straight in the heart. She was glad to be covered in foam, so her quivering lips couldn’t be seen. “That… That can’t be,” she muttered.

“Well, you better stat believing it, dear!”

Flam raised a hoof to his mouth as if he was telling a secret. “Yup, there are things only ponies like us could testify,” he mock-whispered.

Applejack shuddered as the guard began scrubbing her down with cold water. “Enough with the bad jokes, you two,” she said half-heartedly, as the foam was methodically removed from her barrel. “This really isn’t the occasion. I’m plenty nervous already.”

Before either of the two could reply, a serious looking unicorn trotted into the room through another door. “Witnesses Flim and Flam,” he called.

“Present!”, “That’s right, we’re here!” they yelled energetically and waltzed past Applejack to follow him into the room. “See you on the flipside, dear Applejack!”

Applejack and the guard were left alone again. The cold bath continued, but Applejack felt none of it. Her mind was too clouded to bother registering the icy stabs.

A little while later the last of the foam was scrubbed off and Shears covered her in towels. He placed one of them in her hooves too, so that she could dry her face. “Well, my duty is done. Please leave the towels around here to dry once you’re finished. I’ll pick them up later. Good day, Ma’am.” He turned towards the door. “Real shame about the coat,” he added under his breath.

For the next few minutes Applejack was left alone with her thoughts and her many-many towels. She finished drying with mechanical motions and then stared at the papers on the table. She slowly picked up the testimony again, though she felt like the miniscule amount of conviction she had built up until now had crumbled. Not that it mattered anyway, as before she could read even a word, Pinkie reentered the room.

“Miss Pie,” Applejack addressed her coldly as she looked up. “Did you have any idea that those two wretched unicorns, Flim and Flam, would be here too?”

Pinkie froze a little at the pointed question. “Yes, I did know,” she said with a small frown. “So sorry about it, Jackie.”

Applejack didn’t reply nor seem too convinced, so Pinkie continued. “Those two meanies really got you roughed up last time and that is not okay.”

That finally got Applejack’s attention. “Huh, do you know them, Miss Pie?” she asked raising an eyebrow.

“I know many ponies, Applejack,” Pinkie replied slowly, then sighed. “But those two in particular are hard to forget.” While her mane slowly deflated, she stared deeply into Applejack’s eyes. They glinted with genuine hurt. “They sold me some bad candy back before I found my place here in Canterlot.” She began pacing again.

While she turned, her mane flicked out of her face and, for only a second, Applejack saw Pinkie’s face twisted into a scowl and her vacant eyes shaking from rage. “I don’t entirely know how and what it did to me, but I can’t really eat anything much but candy since then, or I’ll start feeling super-duper sick. Realising that wasn’t my cheeriest day either,” she droned lifelessly.

Applejack sighed and her body relaxed, her anger towards the mare evaporating in a heartbeat. “I’m mighty sorry to hear that, Miss Pie,” she said with sympathy.

Pinkie came to a halt and sighed, throwing her mane out of her face. The face under it seemed endlessly tired for a second, before she settled on a more neutral expression. She shrugged. “Believe me, if it was up to me, those two would never see the Sun, let alone the Moon again.” Her gaze hardened briefly, then softened again just as fast. “But the intercreatural situation is intensifying and my hooves are bound. What you or I want is secondary right now,” she said, her voice lacking its usual conviction. “We’ve no time to cry over our spilt chocolate shakes.”

There was nothing more to say, so the two continued to look at each other in silence. Suddenly the strict-looking unicorn entered again. “Witness Applejack,” he called, before disappearing behind the door.

Applejack took a careful step towards the door, but then stopped. “Miss Pie, I’m feeling sick,” she admitted. “My stomach is twisting on itself like a snake who’s tryin’ to become a pretzel.”

“Oh, come now, don’t let a bit of stage fright get to you, Jackie,” Pinkie replied, regaining her usual demeanour. “Breathe deeply a few times.”

She did. “I still feel just as sick.” She groaned a little in pain.

“Witness Applejack! What are you waiting for? We expect your testimony, now! Come already!” The unicorn raised his voice a little, as he stuck his head inside again.

“She’s going, she’s going,” Pinkie replied, while she grabbed the papers from the mare’s hooves. “Good luck out there, Jackie! I’ll be there in a moment to cheer you on!”

She gave Applejack a gentle shove and the mare stumbled out into the courtroom.


It took Applejack a moment to properly comprehend just where she was. As she blinked around, hooves still shaking a little from anxiety and nervousness, the details of the room slowly revealed themselves to her. She saw dozens of pairs of expectant eyes staring back at her.

Beyond the expected Lunar audience, diplomats from all over the world gathered in the room. Griffons, Saddle Arabians, and even the mysterious Kirin appeared. It caused some shock and whispering when even an envoy from the illegal Solar government-in-exile made his appearance and took a seat on the benches.

The message was clear: The Lunars asserted their position as just and were confident enough to rebuke any and all challenges to their new world order.

Applejack, however, knew nothing of such court intrigue. All she knew was that she was in a giant ornate chamber, surrounded by intricately carved pulpits that were filled by a crowd who expected her to play her part perfectly. The sunlight poured in from the glass ceiling of the room—a holdover from the old times. Applejack swallowed the lump in her throat and kept her stare forwards, as she walked to the small podium in the middle of the room.

As soon as she reached her spot, an old bespectacled unicorn sitting at the judge’s bench knocked twice with his gavel and began talking. “We have called the earthen mare named Applejack here today to provide witness testimony in the case of Twilight Sparkle and her co-conspirators.” His voice was well-oiled and unwavering, despite his age. He lowered his eyes to meet the mare’s own. “Witness, declare to the court, do you harbour any anger or resentment towards the accused?”

Applejack looked through the crowd behind herself. She spotted Twilight sitting on the periphery of the room. She seemed far thinner than Applejack had last seen her and the circles around her eyes were almost black. Under her unkempt, greasy mane, she stared back at Applejack with a vacant gaze and a paper-thin smile on her chapped lips.

“No, I wouldn’t say that,” Applejack finally replied. “We’ve been good friends for years, if anything.”

The judge nodded and continued, his voice just as monotonous as before. “As per the decree of our Lunar Sovereign, false testimony is against the law, so I hereby order you to testify truth and only the whole truth to the court.”

“Umm, what do you mean by that?” she asked.

“To testify only what really happened,” the judge reiterated.

Applejack gulped. “I’ll try my best, Your Honour.”

The judge hit the bench with his gavel again. “First, provide the court your name and profession.”

“I’m Applejack of the Apple family. I am a farmer at Sweet Apple Acres…” She cleared her throat. Instinctively she began to fiddle with her hat in embarrassment. “Uh, I might have had a hoof in the recent apple plague, you know I wasn’t home to tend to my trees an’—”

“This is irrelevant to the current case,” the judge interrupted her. “The court acknowledges and confirms the witness’s identity. Witness, proceed with your testimony.”

Once again Applejack looked back, trying to find support in the crowd. Her gaze suddenly crossed Pinkie’s who sat at the other side of the room. She flashed her a big smile and bounced a little on her chair, before the other delegates sitting around her looked at her grimly and she was forced to stop.

“I understand, Your Honour.” Applejack thought back to all the restless weeks she spent at the complex, reiterating the speech again and again and again, while she was forced to listen to Rainbow’s endless tirades about how one day she would ditch that dingy apartment and join the Shadowbolts.

She had this. Everypony said she did. She would be done in ten minutes and then she would go back to her family and her beloved trees and nopony would bother her again. Maybe Pinkie could even arrange to let her keep a few apples every once in a while. The prospect certainly seemed pleasant.

And Twilight? Applejack’s heart really ached for her, but there was nothing she could do. Just save yourself if you can, she heard her words in her mind again. Twilight was such a clever mare anyway, Applejack was sure she would figure something out. If nothing else—

“Well?” the judge asked impatiently, with an eyebrow raised, yanking Applejack back to reality.

“Right, yes, s’cuse me, Your Honour.” She took a deep breath, exhaled, and then began what she had prepared for all this time. Her monologue came out like it came from a machine. “It was about fifteen years ago that I first became the acquaintance of Twilight Sparkle. A mutual friend introduced her as an illegal Lunar, who needed a hiding place for herself and her followers. At the time I had no idea that—” She came to an abrupt halt. “I had no idea…” she repeated in a half-mumble, as she tried to gather her thoughts before the encroaching panic could get to her. She blinked and quickly dashed through the testimony mentally a few times. However, whenever she reached the point where she got stuck, her mind blanked and then blanked again. All she could think of was Rainbow’s stupid stories. “That I…” she stammered, trying to stall for time.

In a last bid, she glanced back at Pinkie, who until now had been mouthing the testimony along with her. She was wildly nodding towards Twilight, but Applejack just stared at her dumbly, not understanding her message.

“What is it that you had no idea about?” the judge asked, trying to help her.

“That…” Suddenly the scene at Rarity’s villa popped into her mind and she latched onto it. “That I would see a book turn into a Changeling,” she bleated.

“That part comes later,” the judge hissed, before pulling his neck in with a pained expression when he realised his faux pas. The delegates looked at each other. A smug grin flashed on the Solar envoy’s face, until the nearby guards’ glares made him reconsider. Whispering filled the room.

“Oh, uh, right, welp.” Applejack felt her cheeks burning and she suddenly wished to be a unicorn or a pegasus, so that she could fly through the glass ceiling or magic herself away from the room.

The judge took off his spectacles and massaged the base of his muzzle. “Fine, since you brought them up, let’s stay on this topic. What did these Changelings look like?”

“What do you mean, Your Honour?” Applejack asked with wide eyes. “Like Changelings. There were also squirrels. But those were real squirrels,” she added with a forced smile.

The judge winced and the whispering became even louder. “Ahem, thank you for the insight, Miss Applejack,” he said quickly. “Do you have any further comments or wish to expand upon your testimony?”

“Nope, Your Honour.” Applejack felt both scorching hot and ice cold at the same time. This went worse than the harvest that got Granny her first hip replacement, she thought. Still, at least she was done. All she had to do now was to trot out of the room and that was that. Miss Pie will surely understand. Her trees were waiting for her. Apple Bloom and Big Mac were waiting for her. She had no place in a fancy courtroom like this anyways. Her place was in Ponyville, at the Acres. It was a stupid idea to call her here in the first place.

And yet.

And yet, she made the mistake of looking around the room again. Pinkie was uncharacteristically still. She was biting her lower lip, while her eyes were burrowing into Applejack. Twilight was avoiding her gaze, choosing to instead look to the side. Her expression was just as sullen as her eyes. Finally Applejack spotted two red-white maned heads sitting at the witnesses’ bench… and the bright, wide smiles on their faces.

In a flash Applejack forgot her tiredness. She forgot the shame she just felt. She even forgot about apples. Her mind lit ablaze with white hot rage, as her brows furrowed and she slowly bared her teeth. The judge was already raising his gavel to dismiss her, but before he could strike the desk, Applejack smashed a hoof against the podium so hard it almost cracked from the impact. “On second note, I do, Your Honour,” she began, slowly and quietly. “Why did they allow these two lying noponies into this room?”

“I… I have no idea what you’re talking about, Miss.” The judge glanced around the room in a small panic, trying to figure out how to defuse this situation without completely jeopardising the trial. Before he could have done anything, though, Applejack continued.

“An’ what in Tartarus exactly do ya not understand, Your Honour? Those two”—she pointed back at Flim and Flam—“have exactly zero reason to be anywhere except the dingiest prison, eatin’ the stalest hay in Equestria.” With each word, her voice became louder and louder. “Look at them! They’re laughin’ at us this very moment!”

The addressed stallions wavered slightly, trying their best to suppress their giggling and appear calm and collected. They stood up and moved forward, bowing deeply in front of the judge.

“Your Most Excellent Honour! To claim me and my brother laughed! It is preposterous!” Flim theatrically baulked.

“Indeed, we firmly believe the Miss is seeing things,” Flam took over with a frown and a disapproving shake of his head. “Certainly, the excitement of the trial got to her head.”

“Seein’ things?” Applejack stomped her hoof again, this time actually cracking the podium. Her tail flicked in frustration. “Seein’ things?!” she echoed screaming. “The only things I’m seein’ here are two ponies without the slightest moral backbone!”

The judge’s ear nervously flicked. “Miss Applejack, please calm down,” his voice betrayed his panic. “Do you uphold your testimony?”

Applejack wasn’t sure if she wanted to. She looked back at Pinkie, who was wildly nodding at her and mouthing “yes” again and again.

“Miss Pie, I know you’re nervous an’ excited, but please don’t jump around so much,” Applejack admonished her gently. “We’re in court.”

“Silence!” the judge thundered, tired of her games. “Witness Applejack, I expect a yes or no answer right now. Do you uphold your testimony?”

However, Applejack heard nothing from him. She was still staring at Pinkie, who continued to wildly seize. “Just look at her, Your Honour!” She pointed at the wriggling mare. “Do you know why she’s so excited? It’s because these two poisoned her! This is the chance to give her some justice! Miss Pie still feels sick if she eats anythin’ that isn’t candy. Ain’t that right?” she yelled outraged.

Pinkie slowly stopped. She stared at Applejack with an odd expression, then, slowly, without saying a word, she hid her face in her hooves. Her mane shortly followed, burying her head in a pink curtain.

Applejack, however, was not done. She turned to the brothers. “So, let’s hear it then. What did you two no-goods say about Twilight, huh?”

The two stallions smiled angelically at her. “Nothing she herself hadn’t admitted yet,” Flim cooed. “Simply that she worked as a mole for the Sun Tyrant for years,” Flam added, his voice just as sweet.

Applejack felt herself stumble. Eyes blind, she spun around and glared at the judge. “Is this what these two worthless liars told the court? Huh?” Her eyes shot daggers and her voice echoed in the utterly mortified silence of the chamber. “An’ Your Honour let them? I know I ain’t the smartest pony around, but even I can see that things aren’t right here!”

She spun again, this time towards Twilight. “Twi, come on, don’t let yourself be slandered like that. You an’ I both know this whole trial is complete horseapples. Tell us what really happened!” she pleaded. Twilight looked back at Applejack. Her pale face regained a little bit of its colour and her eyes suddenly appeared a sliver less lifeless. She clambered to her hooves.

“The accused will sit! The witnesses will stop fighting!” the judge interjected, slamming his gavel against the table several times. “Witnesses Flim and Flam, repeat your testimony for the record.”

Flim waved his hooves towards his brother, who bowed and began to speak. “We testify that Twilight Sparkle was a high-ranking mole of the illegitimate Solar Government.” He looked into Applejack’s eyes with a smug smile.

“She was a what?!” Applejack croaked from rage. “What did you say you complete bastard?”

“She was a paid little informant,” Flam repeated gleefully. Then his eyes glinted threateningly. He bared his teeth slightly as his lips curled into a nasty grin. “Actually no, Your Honour, this isn’t all. I wish to amend my testimony. Not only was Twilight Sparkle a mole, my brother and I can also testify to the fact that Applejack herself is a long-time Solar agent!”

“What?” Applejack mouthed, silent and sputtering from disbelief. “A mole? Me? That’s a good one!” She painfully laughed, before turning to the mortified judge. “Look at this!” She tore her hat off her head and traced the scar on her ear. “Take a mighty good look! I got it from the Solars when these two tipped them off about my family. I was beaten, humiliated, an’ my farm was ransacked, and yet you allow them to claim I’m a traitor? Who else is a traitor then, huh?” She took a step towards the brothers. Her her tail continued to flick like a mad animal and her lips were quivering from the rage she was barely able to contain. The two stallions’ smiles became painted-on and they each took a step back. “Maybe Pinkie Pie is an agent too, is that what you’re saying, huh? Or is Nightmare Moon herself workin’ for the Sun Princess, huh? Is that what you’re saying?”

“What? Her Majesty?” the crowd whispered to each other. The Solar delegate couldn’t hold himself back anymore and his roaring laughter cut through the chaos, until suddenly a sack was pulled on his head and he was dragged out from the room, while the rest were distracted by Applejack.

The judge’s dark grey face turned almost white upon hearing these words. “Witness Applejack, I-I’ll ask one last time… Do… do you uphold your testimony?” he asked weakly, his voice wavering and thin.

Applejack’s shoulders rose and sank as she breathed in and out. “You know what? No.” She shook her head. “I don’t.”

“S-So you don’t?” he asked half-astonished, half out of his mind from the outrage.

“I just told you: No!” she yelled sharply. “Is Your Honour deaf or something?”