• Published 17th Apr 2023
  • 955 Views, 306 Comments

Rebirth of Magic: The Misfit - The Blue EM2



The life and times of an Earth Pony determined to be herself.

  • ...
1
 306
 955

Pulling the Puzzle Apart

A bit of time had passed since that rather strange experience, and I was certainly feeling a little bit better in myself. Izzy's statement that dreams can't hurt us was certainly reassuring, but nontheless I was a little wary. Why would such a random assortment of images and senses, as nightmares were supposed to be, be so vivid and have a seemingly coherent plotline? Nightmares aren't exactly known for having logical and coherent storylines, instead usually being a nonsensical jumble of unpleasant and frightening imagery that reflect the victim's mental state. This left me more than a bit confused, and also kinda worried. What would happen if things got worse?

It was during one of those days where I struck up conversation with Zipp. Well, truth be told she found me first, which is hardly surprising. She knows these corridors better than the back of her hoof!

She trotted up to me. "Hey, Sunny!" she said. "Doing anything at the moment?"

I produced my father's journal to hide the fact I hadn't been doing anything. "Just, err, checking my dad's notes on, erm, stuff! You know, the usual!"

"Right," Zipp replied. She had probably seen right through the bluff, but had (for some reason) decided to humour me nontheless. "Got some really good news for you."

"Really?" I said.

"Yup. Tonight's the night of the Royal Celebration, as you probably know, and that is a big occasion. But I thought we should have our own celebration as well."

"Such as?" I asked.

"I ordered in McWings and some drinks," Zipp replied. "I'm part of their loyalty program, so I get money off on bulk orders."

"Zipp, how much food did you order?" I asked, as we began to set off down the corridors.

"Just three meals," she replied. "Two or more is counted as a bulk order under the ordering system. Sheesh, I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition."

Suddenly, a pony in a red hat leaped around the corner. "NOPONY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!" they said, before suddenly vanishing.

I was confused. If that was a Monty Python reference, something seriously strange was going on. If not, that suggested there was a pony version of the legendary comedy troupe. Which is entirely plausible.

Once all that was over, I resumed the conversation as if nothing had happened. "So, any particular reason you ordered food for us? And what spiciness did you go for? McWings is chicken, right?"

Zipp looked at me quizzically. "Do I need a reason to do nice things for my friends?"

Oh. I hadn't considered that. Silly me.

But before I could continue or reply to anything being said Zipp resumed speaking. "I kept the spice level to very low for you two. Personally I prefer medium, but that can be quite hot to those not used to it. And yes, it's chicken. Most widely consumed meat in Pegasus territory, incidentally."

I already knew G5 ponies were omnivores from previous events in my adventure, but to hear equines talk so casually about meat consumption, given that back in the human world ponies are herbivores, was still slightly weird. Zipp then switched topics again.

"You already know about the crystals, right?"

"Well, yes," I said. "Funnily enough, I did want to discuss that with you, Zipp."

"Fire away."

"What precisely are you planning for us, given we know what the story is and all that?"

Zipp grinned. "Simple. We know where the crystals already are, which will dramatically speed up getting them back together. No guessing where they are unlike the original ponies here!"

It was a good thing the guard had taken my book and not my bag. The Earth Pony crystal was still in that, but luckily the bag was safely locked in my room, where nopony could steal it. I, of course, hadn't told Zipp about this, of course, but I would do in due course. "That is true. Seriously, how did nopony realise there was supposed to be something inbetween the Unicorn and Pegasus crystals?"

"Plot convenience?" Zipp suggested. "I mean, Sunny returning home and finding the crystal there does give a reason for the gang to go to Maretime Bay and give the movie a circular narrative. That's where a movie ends in the same location where it began."

"I'm familiar with plot structures," I answered gently. "I was quite the writer back in the human world."

"Yeah, Izzy mentioned this thing called FimFiction a few times," Zipp replied. "I wasn't really a writer. I just tended to lurk in the comments sections!"

That got a laugh out of me. I mean, who hasn't done that?


Food was in one of the sitting rooms, and Izzy joined us a few seconds later. Whilst I tried some of the chicken (seriously good. I hope McWings open a branch in Maretime Bay), Zipp fiddled with the radio, switching between numerous channels to try and find something to listen to.

"So many things and everything until our time is do-"

"No!" Zipp said. "I hate this one." She switched settings.

"'Cause I love to make you smile, smi-"

"How is this on the radio?" Izzy asked. "I thought Pinkie Pie died centuries ago!"

"Beats me," Zipp answered. "Then again, it's possible the melody survived. Remember how in Winter Wishday each Tribe has different words sung to the same melody? Possibly the same thing here." She switched settings once again.

"So get up, get down/
If you're gonna come around/
We can wo-"

"And that's from Equestria Girls," Izzy commented. "How odd."

How odd was an understatement. If this was Generation 5, how was music from the previous Generation playing over the radio? And not only that, songs that were particularly popular with the fanbase!

That last one particularly jumped out at me, as I had indirectly become a brony through the Cafeteria Song (it being one of the first songs from Generation 4 I listened to). In a sense, it gave me a direct connection to my own past.

I must have zoned out for a bit, as I suddenly heard Zipp speaking to me. "Hey, Sunny. What's up? You haven't said anything the entire time."

I then disclosed my nightmare to them. Whilst Zipp wasn't hugely sympathetic at first, Izzy was able to get her to see things my way. It was after this that Zipp had an idea.

"When you two are finished, I'll take you two down to see something pretty remarkable. But only when you two are ready, of course."

I nodded. "Sounds good," I replied, albeit with food coming flying out of my mouth as I was trying to talk and eat at the same time.

Just as suddenly as that, Misty suddenly popped in through the door, with bits of pizza in her mane. Yeah, she was a pretty messy eater back then."Can I come too?" she asked.


Even though I knew what Zipp's workshop, or rather the old cable station, looked like, seeing it in pony was still incredible. The vaulting ceiling, the posters on the walls, and the enormous window with the hole in it were incredible feats of engineering.

"Pretty impressive, huh?" Zipp said, as she gave us the guided tour. "Seems the previous Zipp found the place and turned it into her personal workshop. It was probably some sort of cable station from the days when we were all united and still travelled about. But seeing you guys have seen the film you probably already know that." She backed up to a board and flipped it over. "Which is why I want to speak to you two. I've got a plan so crazy it might just work."

Izzy grinned. "And what's that? I love it when a good plan comes together!"

I was about to suggest to Izzy to lay off on the meta humour for a bit, but Zipp interrupted before I could. "I've got a plan to reunite the crystals early and skip a considerable chunk of the story. You guys already know where the Pegasus Crystal is, so we just need the Earth Pony and Unicorn ones."

Luckily, I had retrieved my bag in the meantime. "Funny you should mention those, as I just happen to have the Earth Pony crystal on me."

"When did you get that?" Izzy asked.

"Removed it from the bottom of my lantern before I left for CanterLogic," I replied.

"Perfect!" Zipp said. "Izzy, do you have the Unicorn Crystal?"

"No," Izzy answered. "But I do have a tin of baked beans!"

Zipp sighed. "It's OK. I doubt Alphabittle would let anypony wander off with it anyway. OK, so that speeds things up a little. This just means we need to get the Pegasus Crystal and we'll be good to go."

"Will that be as hard as in the movie or harder?" Izzy asked.

"Harder," Zipp said. "The crystal, as you know, is part of mom's crown, and there's no guarantee she's one of us, if you know what I mean. We had a break in a little while back, courtesy of- wait a second, where did Misty go?"

Author's Note:

This chapter brings the story forward a bit more, largely connecting with events depicted in Rebirth of Magic: Izzytastic! Fans of the film (and MLP in general) will also likely appreciate much of the meta-humour in the chapter.

The bit about the Cafeteria Song is actually true; it was one of the first MLP songs I listened to, and was a critical factor in my revelation that Friendship is Magic was not a babyish cartoon for little girls. As a result, it lives rent-free in my heart.

But where did Misty go?