• Published 17th Apr 2023
  • 955 Views, 306 Comments

Rebirth of Magic: The Misfit - The Blue EM2



The life and times of an Earth Pony determined to be herself.

  • ...
1
 306
 955

Heistakes

When I'd first watched My Little Pony: a New Generation, I viewed it using a home cinema setup with surround sound and enjoyed listening to some seriously good sound. The visuals were also great on a high quality TV running at 1080p, so it felt like I was actually there with the characters.

The irony, of course, was I actually was there, alongside numerous other humans who had been turned into ponies. We live in a truly tiny world, but even hidden behind the throne and just listening, it was absolutely incredible to hear Pipp singing 'Glowin' Up' for real!

I was so caught up in the moment I temporarily forgot we had a heist to do, but then I spotted the fake crown in Izzy's possession again, so she clearly intended for us to go ahead with this plan. She dropped her head, and I hopped on her back and balanced some of my weight on her head. Unfortunately, standing on top of another pony with only hooves was tough, and I slipped about a bit whilst trying to position myself quickly. I didn't want Izzy to collapse under my weight, though. I glanced over. Or down, I guess. "ould you stop shifting about so much?" I asked.

Izzy grunted as she tried to keep me in position. "It's kinda hard to focus on where I'm moving when you're standing on my head!"

She did have a point, so I had to get to work. I was right behind the Queen's head, and was perfectly positioned to take the crown. I reached forward, and grabbed it with one of my hooves, moving it back to the storage area backstage and moving the fake forward. I dropped it into place and then glanced over to Zipp. I smiled and nodded at her, and she returned the favour before returning to the 'smiling pleasently' facade. No doubt the Queen had informed her to remember to smile.

But we had what we needed. I hopped down from Izzy's back and stuck the real crown in my bag. "Swapped!" I said. "Queen Haven didn't even notice a thing."

Izzy nodded excitedly. She's adorable when she does that. "Just like in the movie!" she grinned, as we got moving. "Now let's go! Did Zipp indicate to you where to go?"

I consulted my memory of the plan that Zipp and I had cooked up for our escape from the palace. "Apparently there was a side alley she'd found that would hide our position." I found my way over to the exit door and checked about before pushing the button to open it.

"Hey honey. Sorry I'm running a bit late, but I had to fill in for a colleague at the palace. I'll try to be home as so-"

I slammed the door shut. There was a guard on the other side. True, he was on his phone, speaking to his significant other, but his lack of awareness of us only worked if we remained behind him. And behind the door by logical extension. Which wouldn't work for an attempted escape. I glanced to Izzy. "We need to find another exit."

"Uh, Sunny? We've got another problem!"

I wheeled around, and there was Cloudpuff! I'd forgotten about him! He looked pretty cross, and growled aggressively at us. So we bailed for another door as fast as we could, trying to avoid making too much noise. Why is it that the smallest dogs are the most aggressive?

I slammed into a door and opened it. My heart sank when I saw who was on the other side. "Oh no..."

Hitch was standing there, shooting me a death glare. "Sunny Starscout, Izzy Moonbow, you are under arre-"

I slammed the door again, and looked back to Izzy. "I'd forgotten about Hitch!"

The growling was then heard again, as Cloudpuff went into attack mode. He jumped onto my bag and pulled the crown out and then ran off.

"No!" I said. "We have to get it back!"

Before any of us could say anything else the door behind me opened, and I jumped forward to avoid Hitch. "You two stop right there."

That would have been game over, where it not for Pipp flying into view at that exact moment. "Quick! Run whilst Hitch is distracted!" Izzy shouted, and so we did.

I can only assume we got separated whilst we were running around the throne room, as at one point Izzy was suddenly no longer at my side. I was all alone, and Hitch it seemed had broken from his 'distracted by the sexy' moment and was now following me at speed. I wandered to myself how he kept up, but then I reminded myself he was a policeman, and probably had quite the tough fitness regime to back him up.

As I ran along, my radio buzzed into life. "Guys, we got a problem."

It was Zipp. "Care to name which one?" I asked.

"There's more than one?"

"I'm currently being chased by a sheriff and trying to dodge a crazed dog at the same time," I panted. "What's the other problem?"

"The crown you swapped for your fake? It's also a fake. Mom anticipated the theft and wore a reproduction tonight. We've swapped a fake for a fake!"

Just our luck. So where in Equestria was the real one? "Well, where's the real one?"

Zipp stopped replying, so I assumed she was busy. I slid under a table to try and slow Hitch down, but he simply slid under it as well. Luckily, a group of pegasi blocked the path and forced him to stop temporarily. I stopped at the side of the chamber and then saw Zipp trot over to me.

"Got the crown Izzy found!" she said, but as she looked closely at it her face fell. "Oh no..."

"What's the problem?" I asked, looking at her in surprise.

"Sunny, it's another fake. I'm not sure how this happened, but there are two fakes in circulation on top of the fake we made earlier today!"

This was getting farcical. "Did somepony anticipate our theft?"

Zipp nodded her head. "Sure looks that way. I'll go look for the real one."

"Good idea," I said. "I'll try and- oh shit, here he comes! RUN!"

Hitch barrelled out of the crowd once again, and I hit the skates, so to speak. I had them on me, just not enough time or space to put them on. I looked over to Izzy. "This way!"

"Any news?" Izzy asked.

"Turns out the crown you found and the one Cloudpuff took from us were both fakes!" I replied. "Looks like somepony anticipated this theft!"

"Bummer," Izzy said, as we slid into another room. One filled with computer screens and complex technical equipment.

This was the cable control room, based on the displays and gizmos sitting about. The sole occupant, a technician, looked at us and screamed. "AHHH! IT'S THE PRISONERS! GET AWAY FROM ME!"

Izzy looked at me. "I don't think he likes us very much."

"You think?" I replied, the sarcasm in my voice more than evident. "It's OK, we're not going to hurt you," I said to the technician.

"That's what an earth pony would say, isn't it?" he answered, before running off at speed. We ran round and round in a circle after him, trying not to get dizzy in the process. Why is everypony's default response to meeting us to run off?

"It's OK!" Izzy said. "We're not gonna fry your brain or anything!"

The technician didn't seem convincd as he stopped with his back to the console. "PLEASE SPARE ME! I HAVE A WIFE AND KIDS!"

In his panic he knocked a button, which caused the sound and light equipment to start going wrong. The audio track skipped repeatedly, and the lights were flashing so quickly it could have given anypony epilepsy.

The cameras then swung onto Hitch, for some reason, who was caught in the moment. He began to sing nonsense words, whilst the second camera showed an utterly baffled Pipp.

My attention was brought back when Izzy shouted. "NO! DON'T MOVE THAT LEVER!"

But it was too late, and the technician knocked a lever marked MANUAL OVERRIDE. This seemingly disabled the automatic movement patterns for the cables that had been programmed in, as within seconds Pipp was being pulled around backwards at incredible speed, the sound system broadcasting her screams to anypony listening.

I looked on the console for a sound off button, as I wanted to reduce her humiliation a bit, but I couldn't see one. Izzy then spoke. "We need to go, now, before this place goes wild!"

"I'm not arguing with you on that one!" I replied, and we left the room. Before we left, I looked back to see a scene of violence breaking out. Ponies were taking pictures of a suspended Pipp, and there was a lot of shouting.

We briefly made eye contact, and Pipp mouthed a single word to me.

Why?

Author's Note:

We are back with Sunny herself, and presenting you, the reader, with an alternate perspective on the heist sequence which forms the centrepoint of the film. Hopefully you all enjoyed seeing how all the plot threads set up in the stories so far have converged.

Hitch is from this story:

TRebirth of Magic: Law and Order
The life and times of a pony, determined to uphold the law.
The Blue EM2 · 23k words  ·  20  1 · 478 views

And this afternoon, you'll get to find out what Misty was up to during the heist.

I know this AN was a bit shorter than usual, but there was considerably less to say compared to normal.