• Published 24th Mar 2023
  • 671 Views, 67 Comments

Bulletproof Mirage - PaulAsaran



Desert Mirage is trapped in another world and her key to getting home has been stolen from her. Things get even more complicated when she catches the attention of the Bulletproof Heart.

  • ...
5
 67
 671

Angels and Dragons

Mirage was off doing her thing, which left Rarity with a notably shaken Autumn Blaze. Seeing as the kirin was in something akin to shock, she took Autumn’s hand and half-led, half-dragged her towards Little Longhorn. “Autumn. Autumn! Come now, I could use your assistance.”

Contrary to her literally fiery demeanor from before, Autumn was dazedly looking around at the monstrous corpses, ruined field, and the great beast attempting to force its way through the portal. “I-I didn’t want this.” Were Rarity not paying extra close attention, she might not have heard it. “I was just trying to get my voice back. I never imagined—”

Perhaps a bit of sympathy was in order. Alas, that was hard to come by when a town was under attack from hideous monstrosities with more sure to come, to say nothing for how this mare had until recently been trying to commit murder. Rarity kept a firm hold on Autumn’s wrist and didn’t slow down. “What you imagined doesn’t matter. What matters now is whether you can help or not.” She looked over her shoulder when Autumn stumbled over the body of one of the small insectoid creatures. Zerg-something, Mirage had called it. “Can I trust you not to try and kill me again? Can I trust you at all?”

The question finally pulled Autumn’s attention forward. The guilt was plain across her features. “I got what I was after,” she replied. “Now I need to m-make up for my methods. I swear—”

“Good, because right now we need all the help we can get.” Rarity looked to Little Longhorn. They were leaving the fields and would be among the buildings soon. From here she could see the streets filled with corpses, more than a few of which belonged to ponies and thestrals. Creatures of all kinds of description were still rampaging, kicking up massive clouds of dust to obscure the battle. Only the ongoing cries and gunshots served as evidence that ponies were still fighting.

So much damage, so much death. All over a stupid card. She looked back to Autumn, who was now running entirely on her own power and didn’t need Rarity’s handhold. “We could really use that fire of yours.”

But the kirin shook her head. “I can’t do that unless I’m angry. Even if I did, I used up most of my strength fighting you and Mirage.” They were just beginning to run past the first bodies. Tears welled in her eyes. “I-I don’t know how much help I’ll be in a fight at the moment.”

“That is not what I want to hear right now.” She guided the kirin into an open door as more gunshots rang out, the pings making it clear that they were now in range. It would be a shame to be killed by friendly fire after everything they’d been through. “We need to help these ponies.” Looking back into the street, Rarity used her magic to snatch up a hunting rifle. It was being gripped in a hand attached to an arm attached to nothing. Grimacing at the macabre work, she pried the fingers off and levitated the weapon towards Autumn. “Are you any good at using one of these?”

Autumn hesitated, much to Rarity’s frustration, but took the rifle in a firm grip. “I’m not the best shot,” she admitted.

“Just do what you can.” The gunfire stopped. The roars did not. “Let’s go!”

Rarity moved as quickly as she could into the dust that obscured her vision. She heard the faint chime of magic as a gust of wind pushed the visual obstruction away. Autumn was right by her side, not looking any more confident. But she was there, she was using her magic to help, and both meant a lot in Rarity’s book.

Then something white came out of the dust cloud. It was one of those three-eyed ape things, striding along with a pony’s leg in its mouth. Spotting Rarity and Autumn, it tugged a chunk of meat from the leg, swallowed, then let out a challenging growl. Autumn let out a startled cry and fired her rifle, striking the beast in the shoulder. It stumbled back from the impact, then touched at the wound as if not sure why it was there.

Then the wound began to heal. It bared its teeth in a snarl. Autumn let out a faint whimper.

Rarity, meanwhile, had just finished ensuring the red bullet in Silver Lining would fire next. “Let’s see you shrug this one off.” A lone shot struck the beast’s chest. It promptly lit on fire, its thick white fur catching near instantly. Within seconds the beast was a roaring inferno, shrieking and running aimlessly. Rarity raised Ruby Heart and casually put a ruby-tipped bullet in its head as it passed. It collapsed immediately, and this time there was no sign of any healing.

More roars and gunshots came from somewhere ahead. Rarity listened to see if any of the shots were coming close, concluded they were not, and stalked onward. Autumn, now trembling, hurried to follow. “I c-can’t believe I held you off.”


Dust clouded the streets of Little Longhorn, making it impossible for Mirage to see what was happening. Did that make it worse? The shrieks and animal cries and gunshots all conjured hideous images in her mind, making her wish she could witness what was happening. At least then she’d know whether imagination really was worse than reality. She dearly hoped it was.

Was this her fault? It felt like her fault. But she told herself, again and again, that it was not. She didn’t mean to come to this world. It was never her intention to bring this death with her. Her every thought was geared towards fighting the urge to claim the villain's role in this piece. And all along, she sought out Sunset Shimmer.

For five minutes she’d been flying circles around the town. Five agonizing minutes of trying not to feel guilty and especially not looking at the giant black portal with two massive talons trying to make said portal bigger. But she couldn’t resist, and yes, she was certain the portal was expanding. How did that even work? Was the giant magic in some way? Was the portal reacting to its intentions? Was it getting bigger naturally? She needed to find that stupid pony, now.

A sharp gunshot, far louder than all the others, made her ears swivel. She’d be lying if she said the sound was familiar – being an expert at GGO did not make one able to identify the type of gun being fired by the sound of its shot. But the sheer loudness of it? She had no doubt that such a sound in this world would probably come from only one gun. With a tuck of the wings, she rolled into a new direction and made for the source.

Or would have had she not suddenly gotten a face-full of leathery wing. The appendage slapped her sideways, not doing much in the way of damage but earning a yelp of surprise nonetheless. A few frantic flaps later, Mirage had righted herself and was turning wildly to avoid a stabbing beak. One of those stupid pterosaurs! Why was it after her? Did they even eat meat?

The creature, which she offhand reminded herself was not a dinosaur to appease her inner Twilight Sparkle, wasn’t able to fly with the same ability she did. Its leather wings worked better for sharp, quick motions but had trouble keeping up with her in a level flight. Mirage took advantage of this to get some distance between the two of them, then twisted to fly backwards and fire at the same time. The bird’s erratic motions let it avoid some of the shots, but not all; it began a steady spiral down to the town.

Oh, great. There were more of them. Not many though, and most were focused on the fight below, opportunistically picking off creatures and ponies with dive bomb tactics. And then there was— “Ah, nuts!”

A flight of white-feathered, bird-like humanoids. Mirage remembered well the game they were part of. They were called angels. They wore golden armor and wielded swords and spears, and a squadron of the things veered away from downing a pterosaur to come at her. She turned and flew away, once again questioning if their appearance and name offended anybody.

Alas, these creatures were not like the pterosaurs. They were fast, they were coordinated, and they knew to scatter when she tried to take aim. She fired a few shots anyway, managing to down one but still having half a dozen chasing her red and gold tail. “Damn it,” she growled, diving to avoid the swing of a sword. “I don’t have time for you guys!” The angels responded with strange, echoing calls that were both like and unlike birdsong in equal measure.

She dodged a spear, twirled past a sword, fired a shot into the stomach of one before it could bring its weapon to bear, then folded her wings and dropped to avoid three attacks at once. The avians pursued, keeping above her and gradually forcing her down. If only she hadn’t used up so much magic fighting Autumn, she’d be able to waste all of them with a single well-placed blast! She spun, fired at close range to hit one angel’s shoulder, then lashed out with her leg to knock away a spear’s thrust. She saw a sword aimed for her throat, desperately tried to get her gun up in time—

An explosive shot rang through the air, and the angel that had nearly decapitated her had a hole instead of a face. Its swing went wild, cutting deep into Mirage’s upper arm. She shrieked and toppled from the sky.

Focus! Gritting her teeth, she opened her wings and arrested her fall, shifting into a shallow glide. One hand on her wound, she looked around and spotted, with no small amount of relief, Sunset Shimmer in the door of a house, armed with the BOSUN FN92. She took aim and fired past Mirage, a squawk of pain signifying her successful hit. Mirage glanced behind and saw that there were only four of the angels left and they were still on her tail.

She needed to get them on even footing, and that meant not in the air. Hissing at the pain in her arm, she changed course and went straight for the door. Sunset, eyes wide, barely had time to leap out of the way.

The house was not near as wide as Mirage thought it would be. An attempt to flare her wings led to one slamming half-open against a wall, then getting caught in an open doorway. She tumbled, twisted, and shrieked as she felt something snap. Then she slammed side-first into the back of the house, hard wood pressing against the deep cut of her arm. She hit the floor in a pain-fueled daze.

“Hey. Hey!” Sunset was kneeling over her, wide-eyed and pale. There was blood on her shirt. Hers? Hard to say. “You okay? Stay with me!”

Trying not to think about how the world was spinning, Mirage looked at her arm. The blood was bad, but it was the exposed, chipped bone that really made her stomach flip. She didn’t even want to risk looking at her wing. Potion. She needed a potion.

The chirping, strange birdsong made it clear that she wouldn’t have time for that. Sunset whipped around, aimed her rifle, and fired. The angel in the door failed to dodge in time. Even as it collapsed, two more were rushing to get in. Sunset tried to fire again. All she got was a click. “Discord’s burning piss!”

Mirage tried to sit up, pushing with her good arm. The wounded one took up a gun, but she couldn’t lift it. With nothing better, she fell back to her side, materialized a gun in her good hand, and fired from the ground. She got the first angel. The second one dodged and went for Sunset. Mirage was going to fire on it, but another angel barreled into the room and went straight for her. She fired, got it in the chest, and again, and again.

Then its spear went through her good arm and the wooden floor.

She grunted through her teeth and tried to hold on to her gun, only for the now-dead bird-thing to collapse on top of her. Pinned, unable to move either arm, she could only watch as Sunset blocked swing after swing of the last angel's sword. Grimacing, she tried to light up her horn with what little magic she had left, but the angel saw the beam coming and blocked with its shield. She got the distinct impression this one was better than its deceased compatriots. She tried again, but the room spun and her beam was far off the mark.

Two more swings, two more clashes, and the BOSUN FN92 was sent flying out of Sunset’s grasp. She jumped back once, twice, danced sideways to avoid a stab, but then her back was against the wall. Mirage tried to move, tried to stop the world from turning, tried to do anything. The angel readied its arm for a mighty swing—

Ruby Heart pressed against the side of its head. “Flock off, featherface.” The shot tore right through, splattering blood and brain matter on the wall. Rarity set the gun to her shoulder and frowned in bemusement. “I have no idea why that line felt so appropriate.”

“Rarity!” Sunset practically threw herself at the mare, hugging her so tight Rarity let out a choke. “Am I glad to see you!”

Autumn Blaze appeared in Mirage’s ever-swirling vision, horror plain on her face. “Are you alright?” She knelt down to pull the angel’s body off her arm, only then realizing that there was a spear pinning said arm to the ground. Her ears flopped back at the sight. “Ow. I guess not.”

“Might have a concussion,” Mirage replied, her words coming out slow and slurred. “Gimme potion.”

“A what?”

“I’ve got it.” Rarity knelt beside Autumn and reached into one of her pockets. What she pulled out was some sort of retro recording device. She blinked at it. “I was expecting something else.” She, Autumn and Mirage all jumped at once as it gave off a click and a male voice began talking about having to kill a ‘mate’ and stopping a war.

Mirage was going through her inventory during their moment of confusion. This proved tricky, as she kept moving things to perfectly reasonable locations only to realize two seconds later that the placement made no sense at all and why did she pick that item anyway? After several silly mistakes and at least one moment where she’d forgotten what she was doing entirely, she finally got something called an ‘X-Potion’ at the very top of her inventory list. She was tempted to tug at Rarity’s arm, only to remember that she couldn’t exactly use either of her own right now.

Even so, her whimper didn’t go unnoticed, and Rarity tossed the audio tape aside to pay close attention. Mirage slurred out, “Try now.”

Rarity did, promptly pulling a large, red bottle out of Mirage’s pocket. “Thank you, darling.”

“How the hay did that even fit in there?” Sunset asked.

“You learn not to question it,” Rarity replied with a shrug. “We should remove the spear first.”

Sunset and Autumn both stood aghast. “B-but we don’t have anything to treat it,” Sunset argued, raising her hands as if to stop Rarity from making a mistake. “She’ll bleed out.”

“You say that because you don’t know what these potions of hers can do.” Rarity handed the bottle to Autumn. She then pressed her boot to Mirage’s arm just above the wound, grabbed the spear in both hands, and jerked it out of the floor with a single sharp tug. She made it look easy.

Mirage shouted at the fiery explosion of pain and promptly cradled the blood-soaked arm against her chest. It gave her a moment of lucidity, just enough to cry out, “Warn me next time!”

“Stop whining and drink.” Rarity was already tipping the bottle forward, gently pouring its contents into Mirage’s mouth. She needed no further prompting, sucking down the liquid like a fish might water.

Seconds later, she was standing up and stretching, feeling remarkably refreshed. “Ah, much better. Thank you, Rarity.” Then she added with a smirk, “And I was not whining. I was complaining.”

“You presume to lecture moi on the difference?”

The argument was cut short by a rumbling, grumbling growl of a sound that rocked the floorboards under their hooves and had them all stumbling. The pleasure of being fully healed disappeared in an instant and Mirage was back to sorting through the inventory in her HUD. “Crap, forgot about that.” Only now did she notice the bloody cut on Rarity’s neck, distressingly close to the jugular.

“Right,” Rarity said, accepting the small potion Mirage offered her. She turned to Sunset, who was leaning out the door and looking at the sky. “What’s it look like?”

“That thing’s head is almost through,” Sunset reported, fear tainting her words. “The portal has definitely gotten bigger.”

“And the fighting?” Mirage pulled out a bottle filled with blue liquid and drank it down greedily. Why hadn’t she used one of these ethers before she went hunting for Sunset?

The pony in question’s ears twisted around like little radars hunting out sounds. “I think it’s dying down. It doesn’t look like anymore monsters have come out of the portal since that big one started trying to get through.”

“It might be acting as a bottleneck,” Mirage theorized, wiping her lips and tossing the bottle aside. Already she could feel her magic coming back. Nowhere near to its full strength, but she suspected that would be fine. She turned to Sunset. “Now, about you.”

Sunset blinked back at her. “What about me?” Then her features hardened. “Wait, no, who even are you?” Then she turned on Autumn, who flinched back at her glare. “And I thought you were the enemy.”

Before she could go any further, Rarity stepped in her way. “I apologize, but there’s no time to explain. Suffice to say we’re all on the same side right now. Sunset, that card you took right before the portal opened. What happened to it?”

A moment of tension ran through Mirage. This was it. If Sunset didn’t have what they needed, then the card could be anywhere. Anywhere. Finding it in time to stop that giant beast from coming through might be impossible. As another roar filled the air and shook their bones, she took a page from Rarity’s book and offered a prayer to this world’s Luna and Celestia.

Sunset looked at each of them, still clearly puzzled and frustrated. But then she reached into her pants pocket and pulled out not one, but both the purloined Isekai cards. Relief washed over every pony and kirin in the room. “I figured it was at the center of the mess so it wouldn’t be good to lose it. Not sure which of these two is the one, though.”

“This one,” Rarity declared, taking one of the two cards between her fingers. “It’s mine, and the one that made the portal. Thank you, Sunset. Your practical thinking might have just saved Little Longhorn.”

A blush overtook the red-headed unicorn, who shuffled and fidgeted and smiled sheepishly. “If you say so. It wasn’t much. I mean, they’re just cards.”

“Learn to take the praise, darling.” Rarity’s charming smile vanished, replaced by a grim seriousness as she spun to Mirage and held out the card. “You’ve got the wings. You know what to do.”

Pocketing it, Mirage nodded. “Be ready in case this doesn’t work.” She started for the door, but was stopped by a hand to her arm. She looked back to find Rarity’s serious, concerned face. Though nothing was said, Mirage somehow knew exactly what message was being offered. So she smiled, grasped the mare’s arm in turn, and said, “I know. It’s not my fault and I can do this, right?”

Rarity allowed a frail smile to slip through. “Alicorn powers make you psychic now?”

Mirage shrugged. “Just going by past experience. Don’t worry. I’m in control.” She stepped back, looking at the visibly confused Sunset and Autumn. “If we all survive this, then we’ll talk about it. For now, you girls try to stay safe.” With one final nod at Rarity, she went outside and launched, headed straight for the portal.

She was just in time to witness the great creature’s head pushing out and into the world. She had to take a moment to slow down and appreciate the sheer size of the thing. The beast’s scaly face was big enough to have devoured an airship four times the Highwind’s size! It glared into the world with sharp red eyes, a lone black horn poking forward and four more golden ones curving back and up at its forehead. It was a dragon, but one of colossal proportions.

Mirage had seen giant monsters before. She’d even slain a few. Normally they wouldn’t worry her too much. After all, she was Mirage; if the going got tough, she could always get going. But, as she had been reminded time and time again on this little adventure, this wasn’t a game, and ‘going’ would mean the deaths of every pony and thestral in Little Longhorn. So, swallowing her fears back, she flapped her wings and pressed onwards.

The dragon’s head kept going, revealing a long neck coated in spikes and partially hidden by what appeared to be a red mane. It could only emerge so far, however, before it was stopped once more, this time by its shoulders being too wide for the portal. Even then, what had been exposed was so large as to blot out the sun over Little Longhorn. It turned its head to glare at the portal keeping it contained, then pulled back to once more get a firm grip on the edges and push.

It dawned upon Mirage that if she was going to get the card into the portal, she was going have to get up close to that thing. Perhaps she could sneak by? Keeping a firm grip on the card, she started to make a wide turn— The dragon’s head spun around, its vicious red eyes aimed directly at her.

And then it spoke, its angry voice making the very air tremble. “I sense your power, mortal. It will not avail you. Come closer if you desire death.”

Crap, sneaking was out. Mirage brought herself to a stop and stared back at the creature. If only she knew where he was from! But if it could talk, then perhaps… Using a spell to project her voice, she called out, “I do not seek a fight! But I must ask you, for the sake of the citizens of this town, that you return from wherever it is you come from.”

The dragon’s eyes, each as big as she was at the very least, peered at her. There could be no disguising their malicious intent. “You threaten me.”

“I have made no threats!”

“You threaten me,” it repeated, electricity crackling along its fangs. “And in so doing you spell your doom. I am Kaiser, and your time is at an end.” Its maw opened wide, unleashing a fierce storm of electrical energy. Mirage barely managed to raise her shield in time, and the sheer power behind it was enough to send her reeling.

And she still didn’t know where this thing was from! She even had a name for the accursed thing. She grimaced and considered her options. One very quickly made itself known to her, and she promptly began flying in a circle around the portal.

But Kaiser was by no means finished with her. The dragon sucked down and released breath after breath, each one sending out something new in an effort to take her down. A white orb of intense magic that blew a long path in the earth, then a stream of condensed water that steamed and boiled at her tail, then a blast of wind that became a tornado she barely managed to escape from. She looked over her shoulder, horrified as the twister churned the landscape and tore apart houses along the edge of Little Longhorn. What kind of beast was this?

There came a blinding flash accompanied by a roar, and suddenly it was raining. Mirage yelped and quickly threw up a shield as the rain bit into her skin like acid. Worse, her vision was now impaired. She could still make out the massive form of Kaiser in the distance, but seeing details was impossible. She was close to the other side of the portal, if she could just—

A green mist engulfed her, and Mirage was abruptly hacking and struggling to breathe. Realizing too late that she was caught in a cloud of poison, wings already weakened by acid, she tried to create some distance between herself and Kaiser even as she went fishing through her inventory—

The world became cold. She became cold. Mirage’s body grew heavy and sluggish as the hideous freeze flashed across her body even as what appeared to be giant balls of ice flew through the air, barely missing her. The attacks were coming too fast, the poison was bringing pain to every inch of her form, her wings were starting to seize. “Shit,” she hissed through chattering teeth. “Shit, shit, shit!” She tried casting some sort of heating spell on herself. It helped, but she was still falling. At least she was out of the miasma cloud, and the acid rain had stopped. But she still couldn’t fly properly. Her wings were literally coated in solid ice!

She looked to Kaiser. Its attacks had ceased, and it had gone back to focusing on the portal. Clearly, it considered her to have been dealt with. And it was right, because she could barely move, much less get out of this dive. Clenching her eyes closed, Mirage fought to increase her heating spell, but the ice was melting so slowly, and the ground was coming so quickly.

She slammed into something solid far faster than she expected to, the impact jarring her. Her ice-coated form slid across solid wood, moving straight for a ledge.

“Gotcha!” Bosun Berry fell before her, halting Mirage’s momentum with her body.

“Nice save,” Captain Birchleaf shouted from the cabin. “Now unfreeze her so she can get back in there!”

Mirage didn’t know whether to kiss them both or blast them for ignoring orders and coming back into the fray. Luckily, she was a popsicle right now and could act on neither impulse. She kept her heating spell going, the ice steadily trickling away. She didn’t know what kind of ice would take so long to melt like this, but she never wanted to be hit by it again.

“Take your time,” Bosun told her, no-nonsense and confident. “I won’t let you slide off.”

It took a while, perhaps a couple minutes, but at last Mirage was free enough to move her limbs again. She accepted help from Bosun and stood, shaking herself off. Chunks of ice clattered to the deck while she pulled out yet another potion. Oh, how grateful she was for gamer hoarding instincts!

Sucking in a sharp breath and tossing the bottle away, Mirage nodded to the mare. “Thanks, I owe you guys one. Think you can keep out of range this time?”

“That depends,” Bosun replied smartly. “You think you can keep in the air this time?”

“No promises.” They were moving away from Kaiser, but still circling towards the back. They were almost in a good enough position for what Mirage had in mind. “I don’t know what he’ll do next, so be careful.”

“Worry about yourself first.” Bosom slapped her on the back hard enough to make her stumble. “Go on, get that overgrown lizard!”

Wasting no more time, Mirage leapt off the deck of the Highwind, flying at an angle so that she’d come at the portal from slightly behind it. For a while, nothing happened in response. She wasn’t going to assume Kaiser didn’t know she was on the way, pumping her wings to get as much speed as possible. She pulled the card from her coat pocket, ready to throw it as soon as she was close enough.

“Stubborn, I see.” Kaiser's growly, deep voice made her bones shake. He turned his head to glare at her once more, but only for a moment. “Enough games.” He went back to his work even as all five of his horns began to glow a fierce red. Grimacing, Mirage readied a shield and reaffirmed her grip on the card. Whatever he planned to do this time, she’d be ready.

Or so she thought. The sky roiling with black clouds certainly wasn’t making her feel too optimistic. She kept trying to fly faster, even knowing she was already at her limit. If only she had Rainbow Dash with her! She looked up and sucked in a sharp breath as a new portal appeared in the sky, this one revealing a vast array of stars. Stars that were moving, because they weren’t stars. “Oh, boy.”

Mirage knew this spell. She’d seen it before in several different games of a very particular franchise. At the very least, now she had an idea of where Kaiser came from.

The meteors came flying through the portal one after another, forcing her to dodge and dance and dive. The rocks blazed with the heat that comes from going from the vacuum of space to a planet’s lower atmosphere in an instant, and some exploded as soon as they passed through the overhead portal. The sheer pressure of their proximity was enough to strain the air and force Mirage to veer in unexpected directions.

But she kept going, even as the barrage blasted craters in the earth and sent dust and debris high into the air. Even as the heat threatened to melt her feathers. Even as a close pass nearly shattered her shield. She held the card close to her chest and concentrating hard on maintaining a weaving, winding, chaotic course.

And then she was behind the portal, close enough to almost touch it. She flapped to a stop and, with a final prayer that this would work, tossed the card in. The portal rippled with rings like waves on a disturbed pond.

And then it began to close. Very quickly. Kaiser barely had a chance to let out a cry of surprise before its head and neck were falling to earth, severed entirely from the rest of its body. It smashed into the orchards just outside of Little Longhorn, the sheer force of the impact alone enough to topple the nearest houses.

The meteors stopped, the portal overhead closing with an audible snap. Dust rose into the air as the last impacts came to an end and the rumbling of the world ceased. Sunset hovered above it all, stunned by how quiet everything had suddenly become.


Far out in a place close to tomorrow and adjacent to nowhere was a simple little bar. Its owner, who appeared younger than she had been in a great many generations, sat at one of the wooden tables going over a selection of books that would be given to some of her students both before and after this moment. At this time the business was closed, insomuch as it allowed for such petty concepts as ‘time’, to say nothing of ‘schedules’.

The proprietor of this bar raised her head, becoming acutely aware that something was coming. As she stared and pondered, a card appeared in the air. There was no flash of light, no sound accompanying its arrival. In one instant graciously permitted by the bar, it was not there, and in another instant supplied oh-so generously, it was. The card fluttered down to land, neatly, in the crease between the pages of the book, as if it were a bookmark awaiting its proper use.

The woman, ageless and youthful in equal measure, plucked the card between two fingers and studied it. Observed it. Analyzed it. And, soon enough, recognized it.

“Well,” she announced to nobody at all. “This is new.”

Then she grinned. “This could be fun.”

Author's Note:

WD, who claims to have little talent for fight scenes (ignore the origin story of Desert Mirage), left the finale battle largely in my hands. And, like I said, I had Final Fantasy on the mind. I pondered for a long time what the final threat would be, from a boss in Bayonetta to Godzilla himself. Ultimately I decided to stick to the Final Fantasy route, but using a "superboss" that might not be as familiar to newer players of the franchise.

Since all of this started because of Mirage's arrival, it only felt natural for her to also be the one to end it.

As a side note, we extensively brainstormed what creatures would be making an appearance. I was heavily geared towards avoiding sentient/sapient invaders, although I broke that rule for both Kaiser and the angels. I also wanted to stick to video game creatures, since Mirage's whole thing is going inside games. I also only wanted to use creatures that would be readily recognizable to most gamers and discarded several possibilities out of a suspicion that their origin games weren't "mainstream" enough. Not sure how I did on that.