• Published 2nd Mar 2023
  • 1,405 Views, 195 Comments

The Queen of the Dark Ch. I - Forcalor



Equines usually carry burdens—this one carries nothing but enmity. So she shares it. Lovingly. With all of Equestria.

  • ...
8
 195
 1,405

Step 4 — "In all her grim glory" — Princess Celestia

Engaged in the dance, my hold on the reins is moot. I am stumbling backward into the future, my gaze remains in the past.

Past is all I know.

There is a place in the Royal Palace, far from prying eyes. It is soaked in darkness.

In it, a noble alicorn was lying on her back on the floor. Her wings were unfurled in a slightly unnatural way that was similar to that of a dying bird. Her powerful chest heaved with strained breaths. Her beautiful and delicate muzzle was turned aside, and a defiant gaze was locked with that of a creature's.

That creature was of black, teal, and green colors, and it looked like an abominable equine insect. Its translucent wings constantly fluttered with a buzz. Its stark green eyes were narrowed, imposing danger.

It leaned and moved its tongue down the bright, pristine coat, leaving condensed saliva with a strong natural scent.

The alicorn tried to calm her madly beating heart.

The initial surge of emotions from the first night had already subsided, and now she focused on trying to study the equine beast up close. Every little detail could help her defeat her.

In a short while, she learned that saliva (more correctly, some kind of a secretion from her mouth—the creature could eat but did not need to digest) was a powerful aphrodisiac, a tool to ease its hunt on prey like her. It is because of the 'saliva' the alicorn succumbed to the changeling magic. Bits in food. Kisses. It all built up and made her susceptible.

"If only we knew," she reflected… but it was pointless now. A horrifying thought crossed her mind earlier. "Maybe the beast is adapting."

It was easier to consider Chrysalis as a mindless predator because it helped to remain distant from the situation. They barely spoke, after all. And so, the beast was hungry for love… and it consumed it. And the alicorn watched how it grew ever stronger.

Full of shame, she shuddered in pleasure. The beast was using rushes of sensations to dominate and feed more efficiently; it was simply pragmatic in that regard, just like everything in nature.

"This is wrong. She tries to break my will... I must resist it."

The creature's long tongue traced an arc along her flank. Their eyes were still drawn. She was lost in the glowing gaze, in a churning vortex of emerald and golden.

"Unnatural, intoxicating feeling. Hard to not want more."

Her lust; her growing ecstasy. Her body, heated like a furnace. Everything else faded into background.

...

"Celestia," soon, Chrysalis uttered. She climbed atop her and pinned her down. "Tonight you will become mine. Mine alone."

"...My Queen..." Celestia groaned, her strained voice still husky from desire.

She felt the weight of Chrysalis' hoof on her throat, and her heart raced.

She closed her eyes tightly, trying to collect her bearings. She took a deep breath.

The day of the wedding had come.


Celestia was sure that Chrysalis would've already stuck her in some sort of cocoon if there weren't any need to keep up the appearances. So, instead, the Queen opted to always linger somewhere around, listening to every word and watching every move.

Her threat was clear, especially after she showed a scorched dark feather from Luna's wing.

"Do keep in mind: with this, I could use my craft to fashion a new little sister for you," Chrysalis mockingly sneered back then. "She would be so pretty, so obedient... You could use her however you want."

Celestia just stared Chrysalis down.

It was hard to believe that it was truly happening. Chrysalis was far more careful than during previous attempts to conquer Equestria. Considering all, it seemed like a logical progression: her attack on Cadance's wedding was more or less head-on, her go-to tactic, it seems, with a preceding warning so defenses would be more external than internal. It was thwarted only because of her arrogance, not to mention Twilight's exceedingly adept observation skills.

In the following clashes, Chrysalis was far less of a threat, just like in the ages of old. After a particularly decisive battle a couple of years ago, the Changeling Queen went quiet.

Celestia hoped that Chrysalis finally learned her lesson and wouldn't try to tread on sun-blessed lands any longer. Instead, she discovered how Chrysalis had been slowly moving changelings into Canterlot all this time, replacing ponies with her abominable spawn, so it could culminate with kidnapping Luna.

The discovery was not dissimilar to lifting a rich mattress on a pristine bed and uncovering a swarm of bugs underneath.

Absolutely disgraceful.

Celestia should've destroyed the Queen long ago and not let hate and setbacks sharpen her determination. She just doesn't quit. She never quits… But even so, the changelings never seemed to be that cunning...

Chrysalis, having been overfed on love for several days, was moving with far more stride, behaving like a confident predator on familiar hunting grounds. She brimmed with pure power. Vile and insidious, she even spoke far more coherently, which could allude to how constant hunger was affecting her thought patterns before.

In short, the examination of this behavior could've proven to be almost fascinating. Too bad that Celestia had no idea what path Antiquity had laid out for them this time. Way things are gone, Celestia felt herself horribly misused, and now she needed to grapple with a constant fear that Chrysalis would begin terrorizing ponies.

But still, Antiquity promised a better and brighter future, even if it was achieved through not obvious means. All Celestia needed to do, as always, was keep her faith and not surrender. She eased herself with the thought that since the Queen so foolishly and prematurely revealed herself—as she had penchance of doing—they both needed to keep a constant eye on each other, so in a way, the situation can be equated to a stalemate. For now.

This morning, they both were residing in the study room. Celestia directed all paperwork here, sent all aides away, and isolated the Queen with herself. Wedding day or not, the kingdom still needed to be run despite every odds and challenge.

Chrysalis stood behind her shoulder, in Luna's shape. Every time Celestia glanced at her it looked like the changeling was staring into the window, immovable like a statue.

It was a strange sight to behold. The disguise of her vile magic was so lifelike that she got right even the flowing mane with shimmering stars, and all the while, Celestia knew that this was some alien and hateful creature. The only thing that truly discern the changeling from a real pony was that natural musk. Celestia assumed that this smell was designed to be appealing to equines.

"Maybe you would fancy a game of chess?" the Solar Princess offered.

Silence. Chrysalis wasn't even blinking.

"A cup of tea? Maybe a few sweets? A stiff drink? My Queen, you truly unnerve me with your presence. Don't you want my love for you to flow naturally and not be stained with tension?" Celestia chuckled.

The corner of Chrysalis' mouth barely tugged, but it was all the response she got.

Sometimes other things visited the study room, wearing familiar pony shapes. Each one of them looked at Celestia differently, but mostly with shades of wariness, hate, and malicious glee. They then scurried toward their broodmother to have an almost silent conversation. Chrysalis was doing most of the talking, and while it was so, her gaze never left Celestia.

The Princess made an effort to keep a warm smile for each one. It dropped only when she noticed, for the first time, how energy was shared by Chrysalis with other changelings.

It didn't bode well at all. Celestia considered that she'd better pick a more public place to reside with fake Luna. It would certainly help to raise suspicion, but it also meant that Celestia would directly risk the lives of innocents. She loved her ponies too much for it to happen...

The Solar Princess had visitors too. Poor Raven Inkwell was thoroughly confused, since Celestia kept her running dry, carrying in and out written reports and demands. Amusingly, most of the inner bureaucracy hinged on this awful wedding, which swiftly grew from a small and concise celebration of two loving souls into a multi-staged act with half of Canterlot involved. Artisans of different kinds, performers, musicians—everyone who could spare their time to be here on such short notice aimed to participate and fill a certain niche, if not in this particular celebration then in the next one, which promised to be even more grandiose, with rented airships and guests from all over the world.

Surveying the possible expenses, Celestia humored the idea that she truly would end up marrying Luna, if only to justify it all. She could already imagine the stumped look on her muzzle. It would be simply glorious.

All things considered, Celestia hoped that Twilight and her friends were exactly the spectacular organizers she expected them to be, as the more she weighted the festivities, they were becoming far more ambitious than they could ever be in practice. The cuts and the disputes were inevitable… But that would be a fine taste of reality for Twilight—what all these politics, concerns, and maneuverings are all about. The coffers were vast enough to cover any indulgence, and, to be completely honest, Celestia couldn't care less about possible complications.

Her concerns right now were laying elsewhere.

The door opened yet again, and Starswirl passed into the room. Celestia smiled, thinking that she might tease him about demolishing his Tower to cover some of the costs of the wedding. Actually, cutting the budget would be enough to make him squirm...

He glanced at Philomena's cage. It was covered by a black fire-proof sheet, and sealed by a sound-proof spell. Celestia's pet phoenix was screaming bloody murder in the presence of Chrysalis.

Starswirl hadn't paid much attention to it.

He was flawed, anyway. Still, he was a great help during the earlier years of managing the realm, lending his aid and offering a better understanding of magic and nature's laws. The world today wouldn't be half as decent without him.

Some rebellious side of Celestia disliked him for what he represented. When he resurfaced from limbo a few years ago and played out his test for Friendship, which he was never capable of understanding, Celestia became completely convinced that destiny is set on a predetermined path. As cruel as it sounds, but there was no reason for Starswirl and Pillars to exist in the modern world. Their presence hasn't done anything except strengthen the grasp of Antiquity.

And yet, she was an ancient being too, and so they could tolerate and understand each other, especially since she upheld the seat of the Cosmic Council in lieu of her former mentor.

"Your Majesties." Starswirl supplied his entrance with a bow.

He was the last pony Celestia wished to see right now. She remembered that he was supposed to officiate the wedding. That would be an experience for sure...

"Venerable Starswirl the Bearded! It is always a pleasure. To what do we owe this honor?" Celestia offered him a bright, encouraging smile. She was a happy bride, after all.

"Twilight came to my tower yesterday," Starswirl grumbled, concerned.

"So? She is a curious girl, you know it well."

"She wasn't supposed to be there yet."

"No matter what rule, there is always an exception, no matter how it is unlikely." Celestia shrugged, knowing that it would grind on Starswirl's nerves.

"That is not how the great clockwork of timestream is supposed to work." Starswirl frowned. "Something had pulled the order of events enough for it to become noticeable to the naked eye. Celestia, I require to know when the next seating of the Cosmic Council is scheduled—"

Celestia loudly cleared her throat, but it was too late. Chrysalis' gaze already snapped at the old wizard.

"Pirthee, do go on?" she asked with a small, content smile, mimicking an attentive listener.

Starswirl's eyes darted between both rulers. "Is this not an opportune time?"

"You see, I love my Sister so much," Celestia replied wistfully, "that I simply cannot waste my time on anything else, and not on these insignificant troubles of yours." The Princess turned to Chrysalis, putting up the sweetest smile. The changeling stiffly moved head to meet her gaze.

Starswirl coughed into his beard. "You're still joking around, I see. Very amusing."

"Isn't it you who always blather about how you have everything under control?" asked Celestia nonchalantly.

"Clockworks do well only while their cogs are maintained." Starswirl winced. "Your frivolous experimentation is placing us all under duress. Do keep in mind that your duty is to the world—"

"Look, Beard, do you wish to challenge mine or my Sister's authority?" Chrysalis suddenly snarled, delivering it with the bearing of a wounded monarch.

Starswirl glared daggers. "Not at all, Your Majesty." He bowed.

"Then scram!"

An ancient vase on the table launched itself at the mage's head and was caught mid-flight by white and golden auras.

The old wizard deeply frowned, racking up nervous strokes on his beard. He released the vase and let Celestia lower it back on the table—water and flowers inside remaining intact.

"My apologies, Starswirl. My Luna doesn't seem like herself lately." Celestia tried subtly winking, but Starswirl remained oblivious.

Poor Starswirl. Truth be told, Celestia really wanted to forgive him and make amends, but after his experience with limbo, wounds from the past remained fresh and recent… Truth be told, maybe they all shared something like that. Nevertheless, she enjoyed the look of sheer bewilderment that so often appeared on the wizard's muzzle these days.

"As long as you are happy, Your Majesty," he cleared his throat and said as neutrally as he could. "I suppose I will raise this topic after the impending festivities. Please, do enjoy yourselves."

He huffed, turned with a swish of his cloak, and hurriedly left the room.

"Bah, I hate this kind of shriveled pony!" Chrysalis complained the moment he was out of earshot. "I wouldn't scrounge any semblance of love from him even if I tried! Who do you think he even loves besides himself, anyway? His beard?"

Amusingly, Celestia found that she could agree with the creature. She maintained a serene silence, though.

"So what? Is the old stump your chief advisor, or something? He looked familiar," Chrysalis grinned, turning to her.

Celestia glowered, not in a hurry to divulge any information.

"Come now, my spouse, don't be like that..." Chrysalis hissed, bobbing her head from side to side. "So intense... Well? Maybe he is just your frail admirer, and you keep him at the court for laughs?" Left without an answer, Chrysalis continued her musings, "One of the kingdoms that I devoured in my younger years had a very similar jester there. Presumably, his role was not just to entertain but to gruelingly question the integrity of their ruler, sometimes dressing it into jokes. How droll, don't you think?"

'Devoured', what an apt choice of words. Chrysalis was like a plague or a wandering black hole that sucked all love around her. Celestia's lips twisted in contempt, which she didn't try to hide any longer. "I am very well aware of your escapades, of how you roam unchecked, gorging on lands of equine-kind until they drained not just out of all love but life as well." Celestia pierced her with a glare. "How many have you tortured and killed, Chrysalis?"

"Ah, my sweet marshmallow, yes, I am renowned!... You know, I've never counted," Chrysalis mused with a wistful look. "Maybe I will begin once I conquer Equestria, if only for you, to see how they pile up on your conscience. A girl gotta start somewhere, right?..."

Celestia gritted her teeth, feeling how the fire swelled inside.

Chrysalis' eyes glistened with green. "Take a good look at the form I assumed... How many ponies' lives value the life of your little sister, I wonder? How many should I count if something happens to her? I'd say she still counts as one, but from your perspective, I'd hope for at least a thousand."

The Changeling Queen was well aware of how love and pain grew in Celestia in equal measure. It was exactly what she wanted. More pain, more love.

"Why do you do all this?" Celestia demanded, irritated. "You do not even seem to hold onto any power you may grasp."

"You mean, why do I feed? What a strange question... Don't you all do that too? You know, I've read your official biography, and you are famous for consuming enormous cakes, so let me put it in terms you may understand: however big, they are finite, and the love that I eat is finite too. It is simple as that."

So she literally compared kingdoms to food. Celestia opened her mouth to retort and then closed it, pondering a single thought: "Chrysalis might not be able to feel empathy". That pretty much summed up her existence, didn't it? The ability to comprehend the pain of others was alien to her but not unknown.

She was very direct. She was primal. That meant the spectacle that she enjoyed existed in her mind only for her pleasure—it was purely a bestial compulsion to feel the recognition at the moment.

It made her even more dangerous than Celestia wished to admit. Sure, Celestia could manipulate her flow of thought, but this strange perceptiveness, contrasted with a lack of self-reflection, meant that she could intuitively recognize the intent and become violent about it.

Maybe she was even recognizing it now and humoring Celestia's attempt just for amusement's sake.

Chrysalis noticed her hesitation, and her grin widened. "Afraid, marshmallow? Don't be shy. Fear is natural, after all."

"What do you fear, then?" asked Celestia coldly.

Chrysalis's brows shot up, and she immediately pulled a perfectly executed noblemare's laughter. "Celestia..." She wiped away a few tears, trembling from pure joy. "What a clever question..."

"You dare to threaten me, after all." Celestia narrowed her scorching, intense glare. "So? You know about my fears. Let's hear yours."

"Fear is something for a prey like you to feel." Chrysalis laughed. "The only thing that I was afraid of was to fail, but, see-" she took a step closer, her eyes flared, and Celestia was forced to avert her gaze, "-it is already too late to fear that. Don't you think so, pet?"

She kept approaching, reverting to her original form in the process—a very risky move since the door to the study was unlocked.

The Queen embraced Celestia tightly. Her sultry breath seared her ear. Her long tongue spelled each syllable. Celestia felt it all. "All or nothing."

The Queen pushed her to the table, wanting to be fed once more. Papers flew down from it and scattered all over the floor.

That ancient vase fell anyway.


The sky was painted with especially vivid shades of color.

The dusk looked gorgeous. Not many ponies looked at the sky, but for Celestia, it was always a particularly important part of the day. Whenever she was, whatever she was doing, Celestia would stop even for a few seconds to look at the skyline, remembering about the stars and magnificence of the world at large.

This time, she was also wondering if the Moon would rise at all.

After Celestia reviewed the plan for the upcoming wedding with Princess Luna (that was a sentence she never expected to be real), she knew that there was no time for extra activities other than a short engagement party while attendants kept gathering. Presumably, after that, the Lunar Princess will go on with her duties, and the Solar Princess will retire for her well-deserved rest.

So, in short, the ongoing celebration was an expensive and not too elaborate sham. Celestia was amused. She wasn't even sure if there were prepared wedding rings... Most likely, Twilight forgot about them and will hurry up to conjure up something suitable at the last minute...

Still, her ponies tried for her, and it was adorable. They were so happy for her! Slightly earlier, Celestia even viewed a short parade with giant balloons made in her and Luna's likeness.

The streets were littered with her cheerful subjects, and there was music, dancing, games, and much joy shared around.

Celestia's heart swelled with a mix of happiness and a twinge of melancholy as she took in the spectacle. She could feel their love, so intense and pure, and allowed herself to be hopeful... Their joy-filled chatter and cheerful revelry were all but contagious.

And yet, it couldn't distract her from the lingering shadows of her mind. The need to sacrifice either herself or her ponies had her trapped, and she had fallen hook, line, and sinker. It was obvious who Celestia would prefer.

Still, Chrysalis hasn't hurt anyone directly since the start of this celebration. She remained at Celestia's side, sharing the same table, and her fake form was looking spectacular. Even without the last preparations for the altar, Chrysalis made an effort to do her mane exquisitely and to wear a pair of earrings filled with moonglow.

Celestia had a hunch that this abhorrent monster could've made for a fine fashionista in some other life.

They both resided right in the middle of the open terrace, welcoming guests and receiving their congratulations. Chrysalis was very civil, demonstrating every fairly outdated courteous mannerism in the book. Celestia played along, carrying on with small, meaningless talks.

As another pair of nobles expressed their utmost surprise and happiness for the upcoming wedding and clattered their hooves away, Chrysalis finally shifted over. She seemed to be urging to talk.

Their voices were drowned out by the music of a nearby cello.

"Ah, who knew that your court could be such a fun place?..." Chrysalis opened with a sarcastic tone and a playful smile. "I've been thinking... Do you like that your ponies are much weaker than you, just like your little sister?"

"Don't." Celestia warned.

"Puh-lease, I caught you earlier red-hoofed! Don't deny it! It was all but spilled out in your demeanor in the past few days." Chrysalis licked her lips and narrowed her eyes with glee. "You love to be superior... We aren't dissimilar, my Celestia."

"And you talked to me about clichés?" Celestia snorted. "How delusional. You do not understand anything."

Chrysalis giggled. "You know, Luna spoke to me just like you did right now, when I was breaking her..."

Celestia masked her urge to scowl behind a sip of tea. "I know that you lie."

"Perhaps I am!" She didn't even try to argue. "But the fact is, you both talk like I do not see the whole picture. I do not appreciate when someone-" Chrysalis giggled once more, "-keeps me in the dark. I am curious now, you know..."

Placing her cup down on the table, Celestia scowled after all. "Surely you jest. Why would I tell you anything?"

"Who holds the power, Celestia?" Chrysalis sounded almost indignant.

Celestia knew what she was going to do. She will provoke Chrysalis, and the changeling will be forced to make a mistake. Someone will notice. Celestia will make it into an advantage, somehow... This is how she will win. "And what will you do if I refuse to talk?" she asked, challenging.

The lack of irritation in the Changeling Queen expression was concerning. Was she simply enjoying the banter? Twisted creature... "Well, I don't know. How about I kill somepony?" Chrysalis hummed, amused. Her muzzle broke into a happy, murderous grin.

"Oh? And you will place your plan to marry me in jeopardy for that? Hardly."

"We'll see... Should I kill that bearded cretin, maybe?"

"Maybe he lived long enough."

"How about your precious sister?"

"If you truly could hurt her, I think you've provided more concrete evidence." Celestia pierced her with a glare. "No, I saw how erratic her Moon was, especially two nights ago... She is struggling, isn't she? Maybe even winning."

Chrysalis scowled, getting serious. "Fine. Then how about them?" Her forehoof pointed at Twilight, happily chattering away with her parents.

"You wouldn't dare." The whole demeanor shifted. Celestia's look was murder, seeping with venom.

"So much fire! I did strike a nerve, didn't I?" Chrysalis laughed. "Believe me, future spouse, I'd absolutely would..."

After a brief pause, Celestia coldly smirked. "Twilight is a strong pony. She is an alicorn Princess. She can manage."

Now it was Chrysalis who went silent. Her eyes widened, and then she snickered knowingly. "How delightful, my darling pet... It seems I've got some insight into who you actually are."

"Oh, did you expect me to fold this easily? I am a responsible pony. There are many secrets that I will never discuss with anyone else, under any condition." Celestia frowned in disdain, slightly lowering her horn. "Especially not with a beast such as you."

"We will see how I can untangle that tongue of yours..." Chrysalis grinned wildly, leaning closer.

"Careful. Keep talking like that, and you might sound like an actual challenge."

"I hold all the power here, marshmallow. You really want to be reminded of that, do you?"

"So now you think you're more dangerous than me? That's cute."

Their horns pressed against one another. Celestia felt a strain on her neck and eagerly pushed back. Without fear, she looked straight into the bewitching eyes.

"You are so uptight..." As both struggled against one another, Chrysalis scowled, still daring to mock her. "It is your happiest day, is it not?"

Some inner part of Celestia was enjoying this. "I didn't peg you for a comedian, my Queen."

"Ah, but aren't you promising... You have some bite on you after all, don't you?"

"I have bite enough." Celestia narrowed her eyes further. "The point is, you can't do anything, changeling. You can't draw suspicion."

"And all you have is only your suspicions."

"You parasite." Celestia smiled mirthlessly.

"Gullible two-faced skank," Chrysalis hissed in a fully echoing voice.

"Moronic abomination," Celestia uttered venomously under her breath.

There was a sudden call from the side. "Girls?"

Celestia and Chrysalis pulled away so fast that their horns slid against one another, flaring with a brilliant shower of sparks. It fell around them in a cascade, inciting gasps and shrieks from ponies all around.

Princess Cadance was standing nearby. She slightly scrunched her delicate muzzle, while her husband, Shining Armor, shielded them both with an umbrella of magic.

"My, what a greeting!" he laughed, unweaving the spell. "Your Majesties, we are so very glad to see you in such vigor!"

"You aren't even married yet, and already at some lovers' spat," Cadance pressed her hoof against her lips, expressively fluttering her eyelashes. "I can hardly imagine what awaits next!"

Celestia looked them over, noting their finest attire. They were certainly in a celebratory mood. Maybe slightly inebriated… Ah—she remembered—Cadance did advocate for this marriage earlier, didn't she? And now her little victory of love was on full display. Fate can sometimes be very amusing, indeed...

"My precious niece and her no less dainty husband!" Chrysalis smiled widely, sharing airy kisses on the cheeks with both guests. "How it is adorable to see thee! My heart soars. Tell me, is thine little..."

She slightly stumbled with words, and Cadance helped, "Daughter?"

"Exactly! Your offspring, Furry Hart, is it? I would very much like to see thine rascal. Doth thee brought her along?"

"It's Flurry Heart, and no, we did not." Shining Armor was polite.

"Oh, thank the stars," Celestia thought, and a sincere smile came to her easily. "Luna is off-kilter this night—you know how weddings in Canterlot usually go, don't you Cadance?"

"You wouldn't believe how true love can change a pony," Chrysalis crookedly smiled.

Even if the Princess of Love noticed anything strange in the exchange, she didn't show it at all. Instead, she said with a playful snort, "You both are always welcome to spend the rest of the celebrations in the Crystal Empire. Celestia knows—just an expression, dear—that place would benefit from festivity."

"Crystal Ponies are very loyal and sturdy folk," Shining chipped in, "but their ideas of having fun always leave room for improvement. So many traditions! We are slowly working on new ones, but it means abolishing their ancient schedules, which is an uphill battle."

"But you both would like to see that first hoof, I am sure. Maybe you would even give us even more insight into their lives." Cadance's eyes blazed with excitement. "Oh, maybe you could even spend your honeymoon in our lands? In a cozy cabin with a view of a mountainside?… So romantic..."

"I do love-love-love thine idea," Chrysalis cooed with such a lecherous grin that it was hard to believe she did not break her disguise right there and then. She turned to Celestia, all happy because of all this mockery. "Don't you, my beloved?"

Celestia wanted to strangle her. Instead, she tempered the fire inside and warmly smiled. "Sure, I will look at our own ancient schedule. Speaking of which..." she glanced at the skyline. There was still no visible Moon. "I do believe that someone neglects their duties, don't they?"

"Celestia..." suddenly, Chrysalis whispered, moving close. The Princess suppressed the urge to jerk backward.

The Queen embraced her tightly, and Celestia felt how a dark, cold chasm unraveled in her stomach. There was a strong desire to turn away, but instead, Celestia looked deep into the changeling's eyes, experiencing a strong sensation of vertigo.

"Tonight, I have but one duty." With that, her bride almost leaped forward, and their lips connected.

In front of everyone.

Celestia pressed into Chrysalis, trying to resist this, but it came off more like a weak grapple than anything. Her scream was completely muffled. Celestia felt how in her throat intruded the 'saliva', far more than ever before, and involuntarily gulped it down.

And like that, it was all over.

Through throes of shame, she heard how the ponies around them cheered for this ravenous kiss. There was a clatter of cameras going off. That would certainly appear on the front pages of newspapers...

Something inside of her, stirred up by the changeling magic, compelled her to admit that she enjoyed the boldness. This sensation wasn't even drowned out by despair this time. Yes, she loved it, and when Chrysalis finally moved away after a small eternity of kissing, Celestia completely mellowed out.

"Oh..." she mustered with a blush. "My Queen..."

Cheering ponies were hardly paying attention to anything. Celestia stumbled, and the Queen supported her. This little gesture of caring was overwhelmingly enchanting.

"It is time for us to go, isn't it?" In a haze, she heard dear Luna's voice.

"Yes, everything is already prepared!" Twilight chirped happily from someplace else. "Time to begin the ceremony, everypony!"

Already? Fear, agitation—everything gripped Celestia's heart at once, making her feel woefully unprepared.

Ponies, playing the roles of bridesmaids, already surrounded her and led away, and all the while, she couldn't stop looking over her shoulder at her spouse. She watched how Luna stood before Twilight, Cadance and Shining, dictating to them calm demands, "Before we proceed, I implore thee to explain all preparations for the wedding, step by step." Luna noticed how Celestia was stalling and smiled with a barely noticeable shimmer in her green eyes. "And thou, my beloved Sister, may go on ahead. Do not worry. I got this."

She obliged happily. After all, she loved Luna so much.


Her reflection was staring back.

Rarity, who appointed herself as the head bridesmaid, was fiddling around, helping with a lush dress. She was talking about something, but Celestia's mind was preoccupied by struggle to form coherent thoughts. That guard at the corner of the room... she was certain it was a changeling.

It felt like Chrysalis pumped into her enough poison for three ponies like Celestia to keel over.

Her heart was beating so madly that she feared she might pass out only because of that. But still… looking at herself in the mirror, she had time to reflect, and so she did. Her head, heavy as lead, was pregnant with pulsating pain.

It was time to appreciate the Queen in all her grim glory. She violated a bond that was never meant to be violated—something sacred and special. She managed to turn against Celestia's own nature. Luna was her hostage somewhere, a fate shared by the whole Canterlot.

Celestia just needed to endure for Equestria a little more, and everything would be resolved.

Her lips moved silently.

"Your Highness? Please, I can't hear?" Rarity leaned attentively, eager to help.

"All or nothing..." whispered Celestia, and then her voice streamed in a melodious laughter.

Yes... It is time to see it all through, to the bitter end.