• Published 2nd Mar 2023
  • 1,406 Views, 195 Comments

The Queen of the Dark Ch. I - Forcalor



Equines usually carry burdens—this one carries nothing but enmity. So she shares it. Lovingly. With all of Equestria.

  • ...
8
 195
 1,406

Step 12 — "Remaining" — Princess Celestia — Day 2, morning

Author's Note:

This chapter was edited by invaluable Heavy Mole!

𒄈 She was suspended upside-down in the dimmed darkness of the royal chambers, tightly wrapped by glowing vines of celestial magic to the point of complete immobilization. Her long silken mane streamed down to the several arcane sigils on the floor, which were placed in a pattern that reinforced the containment seal—If Chrysalis could see at the moment, she would've certainly appreciated the effort. Celestia attempted to bind Chrysalis' maw with the vine several times by now, as she did with her eyes, but the creature kept tearing through with her absurdly sharp teeth. It was putting the integrity of the seal in danger.

"Assuage my thirst, Celestia! I am so parched..." Chrysalis called in a lustful moaning voice and made an unexpectedly girly giggle.

By all merits, she was having the time of her life, though it must've been only for a show. With her monstrous appetites, she must've been going through massive pangs of hunger. This knowledge brought Celestia meager satisfaction.

"I know that you're here... I can smell you. I can hear your breath. You can go if you want..." the Queen playfully whispered, keeping up a wide toothy grin. "I'll just... hang around..." She laughed. "Go, go, Princess! Look after your little ponies! They are so lost out there, in the dark..."

Whatever will happen to her, the Sun must be raised on a schedule, so delicate inner workings of the world would remain in balance, however fragile that balance might be. Duty had obligated her to place the needs of the world above the needs of the ponies, as the moment Celestia conceded before unfavorable circumstances would be for her to cast doubt in those who lived in awe under her Sun. 'Celestia can be beaten,' they will say. 'She is soft and old now, so she can be forced to back down.' Before long, some other threat would emerge from the shadows, coming for her and her loved ones...

Besides, Celestia never gave into threats.

She drew breath to say something to Chrysalis, but then only sighed. Any attempt to strike up a conversation with her enemy would be fruitless. The Changeling Queen understood only the exploitation and subjugation of others, and sadly, Celestia knew how her mind worked all too well.

"My dearest marshmallow," Chrysalis called again, still in a breathy whisper, "want to know what you smell like? You're lilacs; you are the rye that is heated by sunlight... And yet, you taste like pastilles and regrets..." The beast made a pause, no longer smiling. Her voice was almost dreamy. "How many emotions and feelings are in there, under your pristine skin... How much fire..."

Celestia quietly sighed, stretched, and poured some water for herself.

"I wonder..." Chrysalis swayed in her binds, biting her lower lip. "Yes, I wonder, what is on your mind right now? Are you thinking about them, out there? About our little ponies? How you couldn't protect them?" The Queen began smiling again. "How, try all you might, you just cannot protect them from me? From anyone? From anything, really?... That you are not enough, and never will be enough?" The monster giggled, pleased by her own wit. "Ah, my, this is such a... cursed existence, isn't it?... How it must be... hard for you, my sweetest demigoddess... To constantly go against the tide, trying to please everyone... to do everything right, while nothing ever ever can be done right!" Her laughter became more unhinged. "It is... precious..."

Celestia sat on the floor, rubbing her tired eyes with a fetlock. She toyed with the idea of quelling the noise with a silencing spell, but the constant speeches of the Queen meant that she was busy with her and not with escaping. The ramblings also could've been halted by unsavory alternatives, but Celestia felt no need to lower herself to such unbecoming methods. Maybe later... She still had dignity.

"I wonder," still musing, Chrysalis spoke insistently, "are ponies thinking the same things about you? Are they bothered by how they could not protect you?... Were they ever been able to protect you?"

"Me?... Protected by ponies?..." The noble alicorn couldn't help but smile softly. She stood up, leaving the cackling madmare alone with her caprices.

She went to the balcony, to her small cherished garden of flowers.

"It will be a long day."

She gently ran her aura along the petals of a dahlia, just like one would run fingers. She plucked it and adorned her peytral with it, then looked up at the sky. There were unfamiliar stars, just as distant as ever.

"The longest one yet."

═════════════════════════════ 𒀭𒀭𒀭 ═════════════════════════════

𒄈 A marvelous glare of a brilliant dawn draped over the distant horizon, and rays of the Sun glistened all over the dark and lifeless city, melting away the chill of the night. It was a ritual that Celestia witnessed hundreds of thousands of times, but today she allowed herself to soak in the beauty a little longer than usual. Her massive wings flared open, as her mane, carried by the ethereal wind, surged to the heavens. Nothing is over yet, she wanted to tell to her little ponies. Have faith.

Celestia trained her gaze down, observing. The shadows of the agitated beasts were scurrying on the ground, fleeing from the brightness of the light. They were nothing more than insects infesting her cherished city. Celestia's jaw clenched as she took in the sight of destruction, all the while noticing more traces of the recent fight—an offensive mockery, a vicious grime all over the pure white of the seat of her power. "When it happened last time, I promised to you that I won't allow you to be hurt again, my ponies... Fate doesn't want me to keep promises, it seems."

Celestia turned back to the room with the Queen, who was remaining still in her binds: the catalyst, the perpetrator, the outlier, the monster that didn't belong. With the fire reigning inside, Celestia made her way back to Chrysalis. She caught her own reflection in the mirror and winced: she bore a grim expression, too infuriated for her liking.

"I can't fight the Darkness when I am guided by anger. In equanimty, I'll find salvation..." These words did not bring any reassurance, and she wordlessly scowled at the mirror, "But it's not me who requires salvation, and it's not the time to practice self-control. My ponies deserve better."

With a wave of her horn, the binds snapped. The Queen, just like a snake that was lying in wait, launched an attack as soon as she hit the ground. Her gaze locked with Celestia's, and the changelings' eyes ignited with insidious witchfire.

Momentarily overwhelmed, Celestia pushed through the magical attack, taking an unwavering step forward. Then another one. Chrysalis relented and began crawling like a filthy gaunt spider, backing away. Her amused voice became dismayed quickly, "You can resist? My oh my, don't tell me-" she produced a short, unhinged cackle, and growled through clenched teeth, "-back off!"

Her horn became wrapped with a green aura, but before the Queen could run, Celestia already brought down a hoof on her neck. The pinned changeling still furiously tried to get away, but it only worsened her position, right until she got stuck between the wall and the alicorn in a twisted, painfully uncomfortable pose: overturned and with limbs plastered in all directions. The Queen's breath became fast and shallow. Celestia noticed a rapid pulsation in the beast's chest. "So she has a heart after all? Isn't that surprising..."

"What are you waiting for?" mustering a grin, Chrysalis cast an absolutely withering glare. "Come on, render judgment upon me if you dare! Give me another self-righteous speech, tell me how I am wrong, how I am an affront to all that is good!" She giggled. "Tell me how ponies managed without you all night long, those miserable, pathetic, little—"

Celestia cut her off, "I wonder now, if I tear your tongue out, how long will it take to grow it back?"

"Seems, ghhh-k!-" Celestia exerted more pressure on Chrysalis's throat, and the beast wriggled under her hoof, clawing at foreleg fruitlessly, squeezing out: "-you have... a lifetime... to figure that out..."

Celestia stopped suffocating her, and the Queen began breathing in gulps, with a pale tint on her cheeks. Celestia cocked her head, asking bemusedly, "You are holding out on me. Why? I know that my restraints can't stop you, so don't you want to stop floundering and show me your stolen powers?" She leaned closer, saying in a welcoming half-whisper, "Don't you want to fight me? Where have all your eagerness gone?"

"Oh-h-h, but I do not want to spoil all the fun..." Chrysalis hissed, mocking her whisper, "My dear, it would be such a waste to finish it so soon..."

"Is that so? Then we might see eye to eye yet." Celestia shifted her weight back, giving Chrysalis some space to breathe. The Queen intended to bide her time, and Celestia could use it to her advantage. She glared into Chrysalis' eyes, "You will remove your pests from my city and its vicinity, and you will let me assess and mitigate the damage. I will establish a provisional government to ensure that the city will keep functioning properly. You will not oppose any further actions to restore order. You will not let the panic spread in any way. All who you took as a prisoner will be released immediately. Your invasion is over."

"Why... would I allow you... any of that?" Chrysalis licked her lips in anticipation.

"Chrysalis, I am not like you. I do not seek self-indulgence. I do not find pleasure in any of this. This need to deal with you is a miserable experience for me, but a necessary one, like for a pony to pay taxes or to deal with mites." Celestia pressed the foreleg down to accentuate her own words. The Queen made an abrupt gasp of pain. "I've lived far too long to show mercy to my enemies, and tolerance never was the best of my virtues, but I am the Princess of Equestria, and I have to set an example. You survived so far only because of the whims of fate, none of your victories over me are earned!" Celestia narrowed her piercing amethyst eyes. "Just try me again. Defy me. Give me an excuse to carve out those witch eyes of yours. It will only be a service to the world."

As Chrysalis listened, she was panting fast, becoming agitated. She scowled, refusing to heed. "Acknowledge me before your people, wife, and we may yet strike a d—" she choked on her disdainful speech, shrieking and turning away from a sudden burst of magic. Celestia's horn burned molten hot. Streaks of fire surged through her mane.

"Have I not been clear?" the solar demigoddess growled with thick smoke quickly evaporating from the corner of her mouth. "No deals. You will do as I demand or I swear by the stars I'll smear you on the floor, insect!"

Celestia wanted to see more of the Queen's dimwitted stubbornness, as it was an excuse to snap again and postpone the impending longest day indefinitely since no one would come out from this room alive. Oh, how she wished for the renegade beast, who was forever at odds with everything, to keep being completely untameable. It was what she was best at, this chaos...

To her mild disappointment, the show of brute force got through to the changeling. The Queen showed restraint, and, after she blinked away tears from hurt eyes, did nothing but watch raptly. She even went limp and wanly hissed like a deflating balloon, "My, my... You actually smolder, my Sun..."

"So!?" Celestia demanded an answer and even more black smoke poured up. "Maybe you just like the pain?"

The Queen remained almost docile. Her pupils went into thin slits, as she managed to coo through ragged breath, "But how can I not? The pain goes with pleasure, and agony goes with passion. It's all two sides of the same delicious coin~"

"You act juvenile," Celestia replied coldly, finally reining in her emotions. "All instincts, zero sense. Do as I ask. You have time until noon. Then you will come to the throne room, so we can speak as rulers and not as savages."

"You make it sound very droll," Chrysalis chuckled.

"Maybe there will be something else if you behave," Celestia replied with a sly smirk.

Chrysalis stared for a moment, seemingly evaluating the risks, and then sighed sharply. "Now that's promising... Fine. Have it your way. Go and take care of the ponies," her tail lashed. "I will release your city from my grasp and clean it out from my spawn for your arrival." A wicked grin appeared on her ugly muzzle. "They must've got their fill by now, anyway."

It felt too easy, but the Queen wasn't giving out the impression that she was lying. Quite contrary, she was filled with mirth and eagerness to cooperate. Celestia was slowly becoming irritated by the sight—she knew that if she were forced to play by the rules of an enemy that the battlefield would soon be lost. Luckily, she still had several trump cards. "If you intend to deceive me," she uttered sternly, "then you'd better escape and spare me the trouble of seeing you ever again."

"And to defy fate? How bold. No, don't you worry, dearest," Chrysalis murmured with a wide grin. "I won't ever run from what's rightfully mine."

Celestia stepped back from the changeling, who kept a hungry glare all the way. The silence began to feel awkward for the ancient alicorn. It was supposed to be a victory, but it didn't feel like one at all.

The Princess turned elegantly, walking back to the balcony and distancing herself from the unnecessary emotions. Her concerns should not be here right now, or rather, definitely not with the Queen. She outstretched her wings and then heard a peal of laughter from behind.

Chrysalis was shaking. Her laughter was high, abrasive, and miserable. No arrogance or defiant tension remained, just a nerve-racking howl, while she was lying on her side and keeping staring with fiery eyes. When she realized she drew Celestia's attention, Chrysalis lifted her head and uttered in a meticulously quiet whisper: "Lie to me all you want, but you loved our talk, didn't you, mare? How was my performance?" she took a loud raspy breath. "I know you relished in this feel of power over me... Was that as good for you as it was for me?"

"I will destroy her. Before the day is done, I will burn her alive." Celestia thought grimly. Her reply was deadpan, "Stay and face your doom, Changeling Queen. I won't grace you with another warning."

She leaped down from the balcony into a fast flight.


In ancient times Celestia witnessed how the first gargoyles were created from the intricate fusion of lava, rock, and sulfur. A gentle hand pressed crimson rubies into their eye-sockets, and a guiding whisper inhaled life into their still forms: "Exist. Protect. Create."

Even when their soul vessels achieved bodies made of flesh, the truth that they were originally carved from stone remained in plain sight, obscured only by different interpretations of the sacred texts, varying points of view, simply failing memory, and stubborn ignorance. Celestia found it to be very amusing. She was curious about the viewpoint of the mortal creatures—how it must feel, she wondered, to look at the mystery and not know a concrete answer to it?... They would be striving to discover the solution to the best of their collective ability, but when someone ancient solves the conundrum and gives an easy answer, that mystery will simply disappear, won't it? When the striving falters, what is there for the mortals to do next? To argue not with each other but with a demigod, and with the same ignorant driving force, no less? Can a mortal not argue? Can it be alive and not be faced with conflict? Is it really so intrinsic to their nature? Or is it the desire for a concrete answer that drives this striving and conflict? Maybe it is a fundamental part of the nature of mortal beings, and it can be both their strength and their downfall.

In any case, the gargoyles were excellent craftsmen and unrivaled stoneworkers, so the installation they were involved in was going on splendidly. Most of the project was already done in their realm in the Far West, and the resulting device was brought with great care to the realm of Equestria by the heir Prince Scorpan himself. Presently Celestia met him in the Throne Room, stopping to observe his work. He turned to greet her, and his pale yellow eyes traced over the curious ponies that preferred to remain at the entrance. A black gnarly staff that belonged to the late Lord Sacanas was resting in his firm grip.

"Your Radiance," he uttered with a ceremonial bow.

"Young Prince," she answered with a small, inscrutable smile.

Even having a beard and sporting a few wrinkles, he forever remained a 'young Prince' in her presence. "The world is changing," he said thoughtfully, "but I am pleased that my kin still can be granted passage in the sun-blessed lands."

"While it is imperative nature of the world to change, you will always be a friend to the equine-kind everywhere, young Prince," Celestia faintly smiled. "We can do without these formalities. Have respite here with your people. Let my rivers wash all your troubles away. Taste my fruit and crops of my land as much as you desire. I insist. All of you have deserved it."

"I wouldn't dare to treat your realm as a resort," Scorpan replied with a small, but honest smile. "The lands of your realm, vast and splendorous, might incite in my men the desire to never leave. We should be wary and abstain from repeating the history of ages past, no?"

"Oh, indeed we should." Celestia offered a courteous laugh, covering her lips with feathers of a swan-like wing. "So wise of you to look after your subjects... True, they might've seen enough as it is to tell many tall tales for their children at home, who are undoubtedly waiting for them to come back."

Scorpan returned a weary smile. "We both know that temptation can be a wicked thing. I am glad that you are so understanding."

With pleasantries over, they walked toward the exit along the murals, until Scorpan stopped at one of those. The depicted scene caught his eye: a black figure with red and white, opposing a beige-golden alicorn with a pink mane, lunging on the former like a bird of prey.

Scorpan turned to Celestia wordlessly.

"I've stricken her name from the records," Celestia explained. "In the eyes of historians, the less connection I have to Nightmare Moon the better, and there's no need for the ponies to ever know that she was real. For all intents and purposes, Princess Celestia defeated Lord Tirek alone. One day my sister will be returned to me, and then we will sing of events that really transpired."

"That easy, right?" Scorpan looked again at the sole alicorn on the mural. His grip on the Staff of Sacanas tightened. "Am I correct to assume that the Cosmic Council, with my Father included, was in support of this?"

Celestia made a gentle, affirmative nod. A shadow passed over her muzzle. She realized that the Prince must have remained in turmoil ever since Tirek's incursion.

"I wish my Father could done the same with Tirek, as even being deprived of the rights to the throne, in the eyes of many he still remains his true progeny and heir," Scorpan spoke impassively. "As strange as it is to say, they are forgetting real him, Your Radiance. Now they deify his character. His tactics of blind terror resounded upon the hearts of the youth, and in these troubled times, in his shortsightedness and zealotry they want to see ruthlessness and ambition."

Celestia listened carefully, taking a liking that his words were filled with genuine and heartfelt sadness.

"As decades roll by, and I remain exposed to their opinions, even I sometimes doubt our predicament and my decisions... We might be not bound with him by blood, and he might be an exile and stubborn fool, but I still love him," Scorpan raised his palm, touching the centaur figure on the mural. "One day he will break free from Tartarus, and I am afraid that I might've assisted today in his demise. I won't be able to look into Father's eyes. It is hard as it is, knowing that it was I who brought Tirek to your lands."

"You have much to be proud of, young Prince," Celestia spoke in a melodious tone. "You came here with the intention of peace, to foster friendships, and work through the scars of the past. That is true courage. Let me assure you, you did more than enough to atone, so put your mind at ease, as I do not intend to use gargoyle's craft against your dear brother. Providence be willing, we will stop him by other, more merciful means."

"Then why do you need the device?" Scropan's voice was quiet, but when he turned, the staff struck against the stone with an insistent echo. "I can't help but see an evil omen in this. What threat might require such measures?"

"It is important to have options," Celestia replied curtly. "You know it well."

"That's it?" Scorpan regarded her suspiciously. "Your Radiance, if there anything that might threaten your kingdom in the future, I beseech you, in the name of our long-lasting friendship, let me cooperate with you."

Celestia smiled. It was easy to consider her a foreteller, especially for an outsider. "I am not a mare that would bank everything only on one solution. It is unwise and reckless." Her smile grew into a slight smirk. "But I assure you, young Prince, not each of actions of mine are meant to be viewed as a warning. I am confident that nothing will affect your realm."

Scorpan nodded, acknowledging the real concerns that were behind his inquiries. The realm of the solar demigoddess had always been capable of standing strong against troubles and calamities. Still, Celestia understood the benefits of securing a foothold here, as well as of a possible prolific alliance.

It just wasn't written in their destiny. Scorpan's father, esteemed King Vorak, would've said the same thing.

"I would never doubt any of your words, Your Radiance." Scorpan gave her a solemn look. "However, It does naught to ease my concerns. I'd like to speak more about those who wish to follow Tirek." He cast a wary look at his fellow workers, still busy at the far side of the room.

Celestia raised her ears attentively, maintaining the air of grace.

"Your sun-blessed lands remain mythical to the people of my realm. Since not all stone-folk were granted longevity, and artifacts and impressions of Equestria were scarce, many began to think that ponies more dangerous than they are. There are enough outliers who dare to openly critique me for communing with you." He sighed. "Some think that you ensorcelled Tirek and led him astray, and that means that your realm -" his voice fell, as he was ashamed by it, "- is ripe for conquering... They think that you, Princess Celestia of the Sun, may bear a grudge against us, and might be keeping Tirek imprisoned by force. They fear for me, as well. There are many unsavory rumors of your realm, one wilder than the other..."

"Oh, I see what this is about. Young Prince, you need to tell them what they want to hear," said Celestia, shrugging her wing, "that he was indeed seduced by ponies' magic. Paint poor Tirek as a martyr, if you will. Let dissidents find a common enemy in me."

Scorpan's pale yellow eyes widened. He broke into a fast, nervous speech, "Your Radiance, my apologies, have I heard you right? This act may irrevocably damage all affairs between our nations!"

Celestia frowned. So far, the boy was giving such a good impression...

"What if they come after you?” he was still going on. “After your ponies? It might be a tide that you will never quench. Militarists, radicals, all who adhere to my brothers' ideals, they might seek revenge on you!"

Celestia glanced back at the wall. "Have faith. Let them bring their best." Her smile was as lighthearted as ever.

That was what Scorpan truly feared. His shoulders sagged down in defeat. "I... I suppose, I can discuss the possibility of this course of actions with Father... But..."

Wearing an approving smile, Celestia peeked at the gargoyle royalty from underneath her flowing mane. "Time and time again you prove that you have a conscience befitting for a true ruler, young Prince. Don't let the impending years of your long life tarnish it."

Scorpan pursed his lips. "You flatter me, Your Radiance," he said dryly. "It's not only my conscience that guides me, but my convictions as well, as it should every good person. Your propositions and actions are testing them."

"I am glad you're so open with me." Celestia nodded, pleased that Scorpan's quality of character remained almost the same as she remembered. "Believe me, I understand your concerns very well—our views regarding our siblings have a lot in common, after all." A hint of sorrow seeped into her voice. "But tell me, young Prince, how do your granddaughters fare? How's your father's health? The tremulous connection between our nations brought to us much ire, true, but a lot of good as well."

"My youngest granddaughter..." Scorpan smiled bleakly, showing vulnerability. "Believe it or not, Princess, but she asked me to bring her a pony as a present."

Celestia's voice was cheerful and melodious, soothing the gargoyle's suspicions, "Families, weddings, and the joyous celebrations that come with them—the hearth, the unity, the Harmony, all the simple pleasures of life—that is what we fight for, and our unity will not be broken apart by time nor distance. Believe in the power of love and the strength of our shared values. Our nations may have faced challenges, but they have also given us countless reasons to be proud, and we all strive for a future filled with happiness and prosperity for all. That is our cause." Celestia took a step, beckoning Scorpan to follow. "Come. Tell me more about your family, while we still have time. I am eager to hear everything that you have to say."

═════════════════════════════ 𒀭𒀭𒀭 ═════════════════════════════

𒄈 - a diseased moronic beast, carrying within itself a chaos primordial, inciting panic whenever she went; a marionette of powers that laid far beyond her reach and understanding, knowing nothing but darkness, and how to destroy, consume, and spawn more of her blasted kind—

A fire raged inside her.

It was inconceivable.

Something forbidden opened within, and she had already forgotten how to properly reign it in. The events of the past few days finally accumulated into a blazing crescendo of emotions, and when she flew over her precious city and drank up the sight of its destruction, she landed before the hospital, saw fearful muzzles of surrounding guards that were taken aback by her appearance, and she...

...she...

...she...

...cooled her temper. She glanced at the scorched earth underneath her hooves, and carried on as if nothing had happened. "I require to see Commander Magnus at once."

They were still frightened. "Princess Celestia, Your Majesty, with all due respect, w-we..." one of them suddenly went out of breath, not being able to bring himself to say it, and another helped,

"As per current instructions, we are required to check for possible changelings…"

Even if it was ridiculous, there must be an order, and she is never an exception to it. Celestia nodded, allowing herself to be scanned, and spoke loud enough for the whole courtyard to hear, "Do it fast, and bring me Raven Inkwell, majordomo Kibitz, chancellor Cookie Cutter, and Lord Buster Brown."

"Your Highness!" Magnus, her good little knight, was already racing to her. He was looking beaten, but none worse for wear. He fell on his knees, bowing, "Your Majesty! You are alright!"

"Report, Knight Commander," Celestia demanded, patiently waiting until unicorns stopped weaving their spells. They were too sluggish...

"The changelings took root in the center of the city, while we secured most of the premises already. We have approximately three hundred soldiers, most of them spread thin to secure chokepoints and vital structures. More are arriving from neighboring posts to respond to the emergency, all at your disposal as you see fit..." he looked upwards, trailing off.

The changelings had begun to lazily fly away, just like a dispersed swarm of fat flies that abruptly stopped their feast on carrion. Celestia felt a pang of anger. The ground wasn't offering a good enough vantage point, but one of the pegasus scouts landed nearby, eagerly acknowledging the fact, "They are retreating!"

Magnus eagerly leaned forward, ready to take the wing. "Your Highness?"

"Our priority is to address the casualties and injuries we have already suffered, and ensure the safety of our citizens." Celestia turned to a group of ponies, hurrying to meet her. "Kibitz, Raven, Buster... Where is the chancellor?"

"Fled, Your Majesty," replied Kibitz with a deep bow.

Inwardly, flame slipped through the cracks of the porcelain mask. "He'd better begin praying to me if he had abandoned his duties." Celestia frowned, and immediately responded out loud in an ardent and thunderous voice, "Lord Buster, I need you to cooperate with Royal Guard forces and see to it that medical and rescue teams are ready on standby. Lord Cutter is unavailable, hence I also require you to assemble as many construction and rescue workers as possible—within an hour, anyone in Canterlow who is even remotely able-bodied needs to be here and helping."

"Canterlow—the Undercity? The Industrial District?" Buster, the health minister, nervously frowned. It didn't have a good reputation in higher circles.

"Captain Gleaming Shield," Magnus said, turning to one of his subordinates, "assist His Grace in any way you can."

Celestia pressed on. "We need everypony on their hooves. Our goal is to send a message to everyone in the vicinity that the government is still functioning and is in control. Knight Commander, I am ordering a curfew; it goes into effect immediately. Until my explicit order, entry into the city is not allowed to anypony who is not involved in the rescue operations, and anyone who acts suspiciously needs to be checked. See to it that this won't incite panic, since anyone who is not responding to the ongoing emergency and wants to leave Canterlot, should be allowed to do so freely."

"I am afraid that at the moment we are mostly cut off from the outer walls," Magnus glumly informed.

"During the siege, the whole platform of our city sank down," Kibitz hurriedly added, but Celestia noted how careful he was with choosing words, "Luckily, it stabilized before we hit the ground."

"As of now, the whole infrastructure seems to be in complete disarray," Raven commented, "In particular, the sewage system and electrical grid, Your Highness."

"Also, the Wonderbolts recently reported a severe flood in the northern part of the city," Magnus finished.

Celestia saw it during her flight over Canterlot. "It is the most scenic and green district, and also the one where administrative buildings are located. If archives, as well as the Town Hall, are lost to the flood, then, well... the Parliament needed to be restructured anyway." She was lost in thought for a moment, taking in the new information. "I see," she scoffed out loud, looking upwards at the mountain. Attachment to its rich waterfalls seemed like a great idea during the conception of the city, but now it has begun to show its ugly sides.

Still, she believed the correct position of the platform was approximately like this.

Her horn shone bright golden, and the ground under everyone's hooves jerked upwards, sending the whole gathering into momentary confusion. Somewhere nearby a few bricks fell from one of the newer buildings that wasn't built with any kind of seismic activity in mind.

Celestia continued talking in the same breath, "We shall see to necessary repairs and renovation in due time," she glanced at Magnus, "as well as to prioritizing your project to develop the defenses and furthering our capability to protect the city. At the very least, we would need to construct the bell towers and address the lack of reliable communication channels."

The veteran of Sombra's war bowed wordlessly in response.

As more and more ponies gathered in the crowd, drawn out by Celestia's voice and the rumbling of the earth, the Princess noticed familiar muzzles of Twilight's little friends in one of the windows. That's good, most of them remained unharmed by the looks of it... For a quick second, the alicorn plunged into the depths of shame, as all this time the fate of her student wasn't at the forefront of her mind. All other tasks, even such as facing death and dealing with the changelings, felt far more approachable than consoling those five, to say nothing of facing Cadance... how, by the reaches of Tartarus, will she explain this to Cadance?

"For now, the hospital is to be considered our base of operations. Commander, I expect the reinforcement of the guard on the premises and unremitting attention to anyone who attempts to leave or intrude on the territory. Everyone, be it even a member of the nobility, a former Element bearer, or a royal, is required to declare their cause, be checked, and be assigned an escort to ensure their safety. It is essential that we maintain our composure and act with poise during this time, so be vigilant and practice being discreet, my little ponies. Until curfew is over, you are advised to remain here," Celestia announced with a reaffirming, strict voice—it was the least she could do. "Knight Commander, prepare your men, we are heading to the center of the city. There are trapped and wounded ponies that need our help, and I will be personally leading the rescue effort. I expect any possible assistance from you, as well as from any volunteers. Let us be off.
"Kibitz, Raven, you're coming with," she added in a quieter tone, turning,

Noticing that their monarch was going to leave them just as soon as she arrived, ponies began to shoot out their questions and concerns, trying to get her attention:

"You Majesty, when it will be safe to come back to our homes?"

"Who can help us with missing relatives?"

"Where is the changeling's Queen?"

"What about Princess Cadance's accusations? Are they true?"

"Your Majesty, what will you say about compensation for our losses and other punitive damages?" an especially cutting voice shrieked out to her.

The gall. For a fleeting second, Celestia forgot about everything else. That wasn't what she wanted to hear. The outlier was the Duchess of the Estate of Pudding, and under Celestia's steely gaze, the ponies around cleared to the sides, allowing the Princess to take a good look at the young noblemare. What did she expect to hear right now, a promise of getting reparations from Chrysalis? Absurd.

"Well!? I'll speak on behalf of everyone involved, what would be done to compensate our suffering of indignities?" The Duchess was oblivious, demonstrating a complete lack of ability to read the room, "And what kind of riffraff from Undercity you intend to invite to our city, all those thieves, and-and..." She began to slur, and then clutched her forehead worriedly. Her giant yellow hat fell on the ground, and a second later the Duchess, barely conscious, sunk into the supportive embrace of a pony nearby.

"Oh. I'm no expert, but it seems like the Duchess suffered a mild heatstroke," remarked Celestia. "Please, take her to the care of the medical staff at once, and await further details from me when the city will be safe and secure." At least they hadn't a problem with supplies and shelter, for now. Without hesitation, she began walking away from the hospital. Magnus, barking the last of his own orders, lagged behind her, as well as her advisors and a few dozen helpers.

What she did was wrong, she must be softer with them, her ponies were hurt enough as it is... Celestia allowed the guilt to linger. Then, she moved on.

As they traversed the city streets, a string of gloomy thoughts kept going on in her mind. It was good to know that the governing body isn't completely in shambles after a night-long siege, but the old system took a blow from which it may not recover. If she remains in power, her integrity as a ruler will be challenged in the upcoming months. 'Building' and 'creating' was something far more arduous and effort-inducing than destruction, so cherished by Chrysalis.

That Chrysalis with her claims... If push comes to shove, Celestia might need to abdicate the throne. In whose favor, then? She was the unchanging sovereign for hundreds of years—even Luna's presence was arbitrary in the eyes of the court, the fact of which her little sister was aware and no longer had any objections against. Leave it to Cadance? Celestia couldn't lay such a burden on her... Despite Celestia's best efforts, the girl was still viewed as an outsider in Canterlot, and the transition of power would be rocky at best. No, without a strong benefactor, she would be overwhelmed and deposed by someone more experienced and ruthless. To the Royal Council? That called for a complete restructuring, and the state wasn't prepared for it yet.

As Celestia thought about the members of the Council, a sudden cold gut-wrenching dread pierced her. They will destroy Equestria, drive into the ground everything that she was struggling to achieve. They will never understand the design, Lord Shorn alone would be enough to bring everything to pieces... Will she leave it to Cadance's little daughter then, with firm instructions to the Council of what to do? Even if she concocts a fool-proof plan in the span of the day, and will give up the throne publicly, it still was ridiculous to think about... It would make a target out of Cadance, just as well...

However everything turns out, Celestia could see only strife and dark times ahead. The Princess felt irritated. Twilight was such a perfect choice to resolve all these possible problems in one swift move, an opportunity for stability in the realm. She was everything that Celestia could ask for and even more. She was young and wise, she would be motivated, she had vision, all the needed connections and charm, as well as a wonderful adaptive mind. If only the girl took the chance and made that decisive blow... Celestia stopped herself. Twilight wasn't some 'girl' anymore, just as Cadance before her. They were family now.

Sadly, in Celestia's experience, family always spelled trouble.

"Am I doing the right thing?" she tried to quietly ask Antiquity, but no answer was heard, and no whisper of leaves came. No promise of even a semblance of guidance. Morose helplessness washed over her, just like a millennium ago.

In spite of it, Celestia managed to smile, albeit sadly. In hindsight, it was amazing that she was still able to experience strong, vivid emotions. Lately, only Twilight, Luna, and Sunset were able to evoke such feelings in her.

"Princess Celestia," the small voice of Raven Inkwell caught her attention, "it might be an inopportune moment to ask, but where is your crown?"

"Melted into the stone floor of the Throne Room", she thought, and answered in a measured tone, "It's gone," she continued, not letting for tense silence to take hold again, "I've heard a claim that Cadance accused me of something. Elaborate on it, please."

Kibitz was the only one present with enough courage and understanding to put it as it is. "She informed us that you imprisoned Princess Twilight in stone."

"Oh." She remained calm, even-keeled, relieved that she didn't need to make up a cover story. "This is the truth." She glanced back at their pale muzzles. "Where is Cadance right now?"

They were hesitating to answer.

Celestia sweetened it with a gentle smile. "My little ponies... You know well that I am asking only because I am worried for her safety."

"Princess Cadance fled to the Crystal Empire," Magnus replied, and delivered a vaguely apologetic look to others. "She promised to amass soldiers of her own and be ready to engage Equestria on the battlefield, if necessary." After a momentary pause, he added, quickly, "The Princess was grief-stricken, m'lady. Not in the right mind."

"Things won't come to battle between us," Celestia nickered. "Rest assured that there is no power in the world strong enough to compel me to wage war with the Crystal Empire, let alone with my dear niece. It is good that the girl got away and can see how events will unfold from a safe distance. These pathovore-type monsters, not to say about their Queen, are the worst enemies imaginable for her."

Kibitz took a shaky breath. He always had a soft spot for Cadance, as she grew in front of his eyes. "There is more, Your Highness... She claimed that she saw how her husband perished while he tried to protect her."

Celestia went silent, the last traces of a smile quickly faded. "My poor Candlelight..." she whispered. And Twilight... What will she say to Twilight?

Kibitz cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, if I may inquire, from your words I gather that the Queen hadn't been dealt with? Is it not over?"

"It is not," replied Celestia without hesitating and turned to Magnus. "Spread the word that the Queen is still a threat. No one to approach her if encountered, and not to engage in any way and in any circumstances. She is volatile and highly dangerous."

The Commander nodded grimly. "I suppose it can facilitate the evacuation among the most stubborn ones."

"Princess, we can't let her just roam, can we? Can we apprehend her?" Kibitz kept asking.

Celestia let the slightest shadow of dissatisfaction cross her muzzle. "No mortal can stop her, and no prison is sturdy enough to put her in. Even Tartarus might be destroyed, and I can't risk the integrity of the cosmic planes. When the time is right, I will face her myself."

With hesitance, Magnus nodded again, but the expressions of Kibitz and Raven brought cold fury to her heart. They remembered—she knew it—how she fell in front of everyone at Cadance's wedding. Celestia put away her real feelings and never vented her frustration over this, especially not in front of Luna. That night everyone needed a facade that she was all right, but she was Sol Invictus, and she was there to protect them... Her pride as an alicorn and as a monarch was tested, and they just let it slide. Like it was supposed to be. And it was only the first one in many defeats and setbacks that she needed to endure in recent years... Such is my burden, she tried to pacify herself, such is my role, and necessary sacrifices for the greater good is a price that I am willing to pay.

She looked upon the scorched city and remembered the look of terror on Twilight's face.

"This emergency requires us to schedule the next meeting of the Royal Council," she said, turned to her aides. "Raven! Prepare to take notes. We will send them by the dragonfire channel."


The winged creature fell on it's knee, breathing greedily, staring down with a blank expression on his lion-like face. The regal mane and beard were swollen with dark-red, and it kept trickling over the creature's powerful build, while he fruitlessly tried to steady himself.

"All over the carpet," a stray thought went in Celestia's mind. Not that she cared, but it was still painful to see how something beautiful was tarnished. A good rug can serve its purpose at least for a few decades, but now she needed to go through all the necessary motions of ordering a new one. The blood, the scorch marks, and the torn fabric—all of it wasn't worth the effort to fix.

She got into internal lament and got distracted from the situation. Her eyes wandered over the narrow blade in her grasp. A ray of light sneaked through the circular window far above and reflected brightly on it.

"Mercy..." the creature whispered.

"I'm sorry?" Celestia turned her head, smiling.

She always tried to smile.

"Please. Mercy." The creature bowed, pressing his hands hard against the floor. He was quickly losing consciousness. Celestia glanced at the posse of the invader, which remained in similar condition—those who were able to move and speak, at least.

To be frank, she didn't even need to go overboard since she already had an opportunity to test out the gargoyle's craft, but that was in the spur of the moment, when the immediate neighbors to the south dared to bring to her the heads of her little ambassadors. Savages. Their lands have been burned and lifeless ever since.

Celestia's smile became even more gentle and motherly, and she took a step closer. Her massive wings flared open. "Look at me," she demanded.

So he did, trembling.

Celestia moved her head back and pointed the tip of the steel aside. "Tell me, you enjoy the sight of sunrise, don't you? Can you remember the peaceful calm of morning?... Know that you're welcome. I am responsible for every single one of them in all your life."

For the next few seconds, the invader was staring with awe, being relieved of all his mundane expectations and delusions. His eyes were finally opened to the truth, and on this high note, she effortlessly struck him down.

She glanced at the other travelers from distant lands. They will carry this scene to their deathbeds, and from now on, they will have a reason to remember it each day. She will remain deep within their hearts with a mix of gratitude and dread, as a power which origin is far beyond their comprehension... Wasn't that what the essence of divinity was all about?

═════════════════════════════ 𒀭𒀭𒀭 ═════════════════════════════

𒄈 The changelings had been just as brutal as she expected. Even worse. Disorganized. Insectile. Starving. They tried to fend off their starvation as much as they could throughout the night, and now Celestia witnessed the aftermath of their macabre revelry.

In dark and damp cellars and corners, she tore the sacks filled with greenish liquid, containing the sleeping forms of her subjects. More often than not they were recently deceased, half-suffocated, or clinging to the last embers of life after it was drained from them, all of them treated harshly and without care. There were old and young, stallions and mares, as the changelings didn't know restraint and weren't picky in their choice of victims, even more than that—they must've been enjoying seeing her ponies in pain. There were signs of torture and cruel games they were forcing on the victims. Scarring of flesh and psyche, and glazed eyes of those who were damaged irrevocably...

As she worked through it and listened to the accumulating reports, Celestia forced herself to push away the unnecessary anger. Despite everything, there was also an understanding that the damage could've been much more severe. With thousands of possible victims, all gathered on the ripe feasting grounds that the wedding celebration had turned into, there weren't even enough changelings to capture them all and consume their essence.

Still, no one had been prepared for the attack. This bloody night must be remembered exactly as it was, so the tragedy would never repeat, and Celestia knew that it was up to her to take the necessary steps to ensure this... but the ponies also needed to be treated with compassion and kindness, as it was her duty to not let trauma and pain take root... A balance must be struck, and once again it remained an insurmountable task...

For many hours she had done nothing but put in the effort to amend the destruction. The noon passed unnoticed, as she found herself in the middle of clearing the wreckage left by the felled towers, trying to reach the survivors remaining underneath. Ponies, united by a single goal, were swarming around, with no one without an assigned task. Help from the Canterlow came through, and the expertise of the miners who had to deal with cave-ins before had been proven invaluable.

The presence of the Princess was inspiring for her subjects. The fact that she can sully her hooves with hard work and get cuts and bruises certainly was eye-opening to many. Celestia pitched in almost wordlessly, sometimes using her powerful magic to carefully clear the rubble when she was asked to, while trying to keep her hooves on the pulse of what was going on.

Changelings still were around, as guards reported fights randomly breaking out all over the city since the beasts were making an ill-devised attempt to continue feasting. The flood in the northern district still needed to be addressed, though it wasn't a populated area, hence Celestia wasn't in a hurry with that. Canterlotian Equus Hospital was secured as well, its staff overworking itself, with more help arriving from Ponyville and promised to from other cities. The places like the School for Gifted Unicorns, miraculously, remained almost untouched. The changelings, truly as the beasts they were, had operated without any appropriate tactic...

The slow evacuation, which Celestia tried to nudge citizens to, was still ongoing but not as quick as she'd hoped. Unrest and panic were seemingly averted, and the Princess considered that a victory.

But many missing officials needed to be replaced... And there were more reports, as more situations piled on, horrific to her ponies... Everyone seemed to operate in a state of shock... There always was a new problem unearthed after dealing with another.

Nevertheless, the Order was like a wall, and removing a few bricks from it was bearing no harm to the system, especially if they were replaced soon enough. Complete restructuring would take up from a month to a year. Recovery from inflicted damage to a nation was required at least several years, but if everything will return to just as it were, it can happen even faster. The approximate costs were still needed to be calculated, but it was something that would be evaluated at the seating of the Royal Council.

Also, ponies were staying clear of the Royal Palace, just as she requested.

"What time is it?" she suddenly asked, looking at the Sun.

Her loyal little Raven was at her side, ready to help however she could. She glanced nervously at the pocket watch: "It's two o'clock, your Majesty."

"You'll take it from here," she replied absentmindedly, leaving the mare befuddled, and then stretched her wings. In a whirlwind of stone dust, thrown into the muzzles of everyone near, the Princess was gone.