• Published 1st Jan 2023
  • 1,202 Views, 30 Comments

A Royal Visit - Mystic Sunrise



Equestria has changed much since Twilight took the throne. Today, she visits one such change.

  • ...
21
 30
 1,202

A Royal Tour

"So how are you enjoying our fair city?" Haven asked as the group passed through downtown Zephyr Heights. "I admit that I've sometimes compared it to Canterlot."

Twilight smiled as she looked around the bustling streets. While Pegasi predominated, ponies of every tribe could be seen laughing and having a good time. If they could ever look up from their phones that is. "There is a certain resemblance. But Canterlot is everything Equestria once was, while Zephyr Heights is everything Equestria has become and will become."

Pearl rolled her eyes. "No matter how hard she tries. Someponies are just stuck in the past, no matter what their princess says. It beats Cloudsdale for sure."

Twilight nodded sadly. "Canterlogic all but given up on making Canterlot get with the times. Odd, given their name. It is why I have such high hopes for Maretime Bay and Bridalwood as well."

Zipp rolled her eyes. "If Sunny and Hitch have anything to say about it, then Maretime Bay will. And Izzy with Bridalwood."

Twilight blinked. "How do you know them?"

Zipp and Pipp both giggled. "We all went to the School of Friendship together. Sunny makes the best smoothies in Equestria, hooves down," Pipp replied. "How do you know them?"

Twilight smiled sheepishly. "Sunny is my biggest fan, according to her. She came to Canterlot some time ago with her friend Hitch. It was something she had always wanted to do as he put it. I've been teaching her off and on whenever I get the chance."

Pearl snorted. "Please. The only reason she's not your student officially is cause neither of you wants to move. She has a teleport circle in her room so they can even get together at all."

Twilight pouted while everypony laughed. "That does sound like Sunny," Zipp replied. "She was always going on about you in school whenever she had the chance. It drove someponies nuts, but she didn't care."

Pearl giggled as Twilight groaned. She actually liked the mare. Besides making mean smoothies, Sunny didn't go gaga every time she saw Pearl's broach, while everypony else did. She really couldn't ask the first Paladin how she had handled it, and Luna was secretive on the matter.

No matter how hard she and Twilight tried to get her to open up about her. Celestia was even worse in that regard, only smiling enigmatically before changing the subject.

Haven saw the annoyance in Pearl's eyes, and her heart sank for the young mare. "We have rooms for both of you in the palace, princess. Right next to each other in fact. And I see now that it was a wise idea to do so."

Nopony could miss the slight blush that came to Pearl's face at that, or how Twilight's breath hitched slightly at the idea of the two being so close to each other. None had missed the looks Pearl had given Twilight's flanks more than once, nor how Twilight looked at Pearl's floof when she wasn't looking.

Haven's smile widened. "And you have picked a wonderful time to visit as well, Princess Twilight. There is something special to come later today, and I would be honored if you would join us."

Twilight blinked in surprise. "What is it? I can always use a break from all this tedium."

Pipp puffed up proudly. "My first real concert. I'm done doing small-time gigs. Time to go big or go home."

Pearl's jaw dropped. "That's today?! Dang, it. I've been waiting for this for months now! I'm such a huge fan." She poked Twilight with a smirk. "While this princess wouldn't know good music if the fate of the universe depended on it."

Twilight rolled her eyes, while Pipp's grew large in shock. "A Knight Paladin is a fan of mine...?!" She squeed excitedly before fainting with a huge grin on her face. Zipp rolled her eyes as she rolled a pillow underneath her sister's head before it hit the seat itself.

Twilight burst out laughing at the scene, memories of a certain unicorn coming to mind. Haven gave her a worried look. "Are you alright your highness?"

After a moment, Twilight nodded, wiping away her tears. "Yes. I'm sorry. A friend of mine once reacted the same way to big news, and I couldn't help it. Rarity would have been proud."

Pipp nodded in a daze. "I've always been a huge fan of hers. I've never wanted the throne and damn anypony who says otherwise. I'm the spare in the family. Only around if something happens to my sister. Which I don't want."

Zipp nodded glumly. "I'd rather trade places if it's all the same. Too much to remember, and gods only know what'll happen if I mess it up."

Twilight's heart sank, as Haven pulled her daughters close. Oh, how she hated the 'heir and a spare' system. A relic of a more backward time. Just look at Cadance and Flurry Heart. While her niece knew all that was required to rule and accompanied her mother if and when it was needed, Flurry had a life of her own. One that wasn't dictated by the rules of rulership. One that Cadance had been more than happy to give her daughter.

Pearl felt her heart drop right out of her. She knew what it was like to be in line to inherit her family's legacy. Being an only child, she had known it her entire life. It was why she had joined the Royal Guard. She loved her parents deeply, but she didn't want what they wanted for her.

But that was beside the point, as the chariot came to a halt in front of the Royal Palace. They were here to relax, and to hear her favorite singer live of course. Worries could come later. Assuming nothing happened of course.

Why did it feel like something going to happen though? Pearl could feel it, though she had no idea where it was coming from.


Down at the Zephyr Heights Hot Air Baloon Station, two ponies were just disembarking from the latest arrival. As the younger of the two paid their fair, the elder could just make out the HMS Harmony docked at the Airship Dock.

Oh, this was going to be fun.

Author's Note:

Here's how Twilight looks in this universe. I hated how she looked in The Last Problem. It was done by LimeDazzle.

No, I'm not sorry about doing this with the Mane 5. Xanderfox was right in guessing Maretime Bay was founded by earth pony sailors, and Bridalwood by unicorn hippies. Why not? And Opaline is the only G5 character removed from existence. Misty is still around somewhere though.