• Published 1st Jan 2023
  • 1,200 Views, 30 Comments

A Royal Visit - Mystic Sunrise



Equestria has changed much since Twilight took the throne. Today, she visits one such change.

  • ...
21
 30
 1,200

A Paladin is Born

Celestia stood there on the rampart of the Castle her light pink hair flowing in the light winds flowing up from the exterior walls. On the walkway she could see her mentor Starswirl make his way back out of the Everfree Forest. She raised an eyebrow as next to him was a smaller figure, half his size, dressed in a hooded cloak similar to his without the bells. While she couldn’t hear what was being said, she knew the pair were in deep conversation.

Taking a deep breath, Celestia watched as her parents came out to greet him. She watched as the small figure made a polite bow. She knew what they were talking about. And it wasn’t something she desired in all of her seventeen years. Why did she have to have an arranged marriage to some small colt she never heard of before? With a huff, she turned away and stomped back to her bedroom.


Opening the door to her room, Celestia sucked in her breath as she found her eight-year-old sister Luna bouncing up and down on the large sun-shaped bed.

“Hey sis. It’s it great. Starswirl’s back.” Luna grinned as she continued to jump up and down on her sister's bed. “I wonder what he’ll teach us this time?”

Sighing Celestia walked up to her bed and stared down her sister. “I don’t know, and how many times have I told you NOT to jump on my bed Lulu.”

Stopping her jumping, Luna pouted a little. “But your bed is so much bouncier than mine.”

Rubbing her temples with a hoof, Celestia just shook her head. “I don’t care sister, just please stop.”

Reaching up, Luna placed a hoof on her sister's leg. “You okay Tia?”

“No,” Flopping down on her bed, Celestia sighed again. “No, I’m not.”

“Anything I can do to help?” Luna flopped down on to her belly and pressed her nose up to her sisters.

Celestia smiled as she looked into those dark eyes. Reaching out Celestia grabbed her sister and started tickling her. The young filly laughed hard until there was a knock on the door. When it opened there stood one of their mother’s celestial guards.

“Your parents wish to see you princess.” the guard stoically stated before stepping aside. “Please come at once.”

The princess sisters looked at each other then nodded before trotting out the door.


Starswirl smiled as he stood there. His young companion was more interested in following a multicolored butterfly with his eyes than anything else around him.

“Remember where you are little brother,” Starswirl spoke softly but sternly, earning a low groan from the boy’s lips before slumping down a little. Starswirl could appreciate how uncomfortable his brother was. “I know this is unsettling, but it’s something I promised your sister so long ago. To make sure your future is secure in this new world. And this is the best way I can start.”

“How do you know we’ll even be compatible?” the young boy’s voice whispered through his hood.

“She is the firstborn alicorn in thousands of years. She’s intelligent, strong-willed, and quite powerful. As a child of the moon, you should appreciate being paired with the Sun.” Starswirl placed his hoof on his brother’s shoulder. “Plus she is the only pony other than myself who can understand and appreciate what you are.”

“Fine…” the boy sighed and shook his head. Looking up he watched as the two princesses walked into the bar. He had seen images of the older one. The pony his brother was intent on setting him up with. But his eyes were drawn to the dark blue filly beside her. His eyes went wide. “Like the night sky…”

“Did you say something?” Starswirl raised an eyebrow.

“No… nothing.” the young boy blushed and looked away, but still turned his eyes to the younger princess.

“I Queen Solarus present my eldest daughter Princess Celestia.” the Queen smiled stepping forward.

“And I, Starswirl present my little brother, Kohaku Everfree.” Turning to his brother he nodded. “Remove your cloak.”

Looking up, Kohaku watched as his brother nodded. Undoing the clasp he flung his cloak around in a flourish and placed it folded in front of him. The entire court gasped. The king and queen exchanged looks as before them stood a creature not seen for millennia. His green fur shimmered as his amber markings glowed under the light. His three tails swished about.

“A pleasure to meet you.” Kohaku politely bowed.


Kohaku sighed as he sat there up against the wall. In the far corner he watched as his ‘intended’ argued at the top of her lungs with her parents and his big brother. Closing his eyes he lifted his head up and let all other thoughts and sounds escape him but the soft whispers of the potted plants. It wasn’t until he heard the soft breaths of another nearby that he blinked and found himself staring into the stary eyes of the youngest Princess.

“What are you?” Luna tilted her head as she poked at Kohaku with a wing.

“I’m me,” Kohaku smirked as his response made Luna laugh.

“I’m bored, you want to go have some fun?” Luna smiled wide.

Lifting his head up and looking past the filly to the trio near the thrones. Kohaku smiled and then turned back to Luna. “What's your name?”

“Luna.”

“Kohaku. Let's go.” With everyone paying more attention to the arguing. The two snuck out and ran out towards the gardens.


Luna sighed as she relaxed atop the dock. Her hoof swished about the water. Looking to the side she saw Kohaku resting up against the post a book open and supported by two of his tails. The third brushed her tail with an ivory brush. She had known him for six years now, and her feelings had only grown. “How can you bear it?”

“I thought you liked when I brushed your mane and tail?” Kohaku looked at the princess from the top of his book.

“Not that you fluffhead.” Luna huffed as she pulled her tail away from the brush, lightly slapping it across his mussel before sitting up. Her back to him. “Your betrothed to my sister. And yet we’ve been dating for the last four years behind her back.”

“There’s a fair difference between being betrothed and being in love.” Kohaku rubbed his cheek for a moment with a chuckle and went back to reading. “Your sister is a great mare, but there’s no love lost between us and she knows it.”

“I just feel bad for hiding what we have from her and your brother.” Luna bowed her head and closed her eyes.

With a sigh, Kohaku closed his book and set it aside, and just looked at his midnight princess. It had only been a few years but his eyes settled on the crescent moon cutie mark on her hip. His father always told him a young tod always looked for a woman like his mother. Luna was everything he looked for. Dignified but knew how to cut loose. Enjoyed a good prank and had a great sense of humor. And her powers drew on the moon itself. Just like his Okaassan. Shaking his head he rested both his for legs behind his head.

“I think they know. I mean they aren’t stupid. But they’re probably looking the other way out of obligations.”

“You really think so?” Luna looked over her shoulder. Her dark blue mane draped down making Kohaku’s heart jump a few beats.

Gulping a bit he quickly rested his tails across his lap. “Yeah. and your sister is probably thinking this would be an easy out for our ‘engagement’.”

Luna saw how quickly his tails moved and gave a smirk. She may be fourteen but even she knew what that meant. With a giggle the princess moved in closer, standing directly over him. “I suppose. I mean it’s not like we go out of our way to hide it.”

“Indeed.” wrapping one foreleg around Luna’s barrel. Kohaku pulled her down and planted a tender kiss on her lips, which was returned.


An explosion erupted outside of the castle, making the area around it shake. Kohaku stood in the center of an open clearing by a precipice as dark as the stallions holding the princesses at knifepoint. two of his newest creations stood next to him, Timberwolves he called them. The pair half lowered and growled loudly. They wanted blood and so did he.

“Back off freak boy. Or the girls get it.” the lead earth pony stallion chuckled as his two pegasus cronies held one leg around the princesses throats and a hoof knife ready to cut. On the horns of both princesses was a magic restraining ring.

“Just do it Kohaku, we’ll be fine,” Celestia called out to her betrothed who just stood there watching.

Kohaku heard Celestia’s words but his eyes were on Luna. who while scared held herself firmly. Her own eyes fixed on his. Closing his eyes listened to the uneasy breathing of the kidnappers. Physically they were no match for the eighteen-year-old kitsune. They wouldn't have been a match for him eight years ago.

The attack on the castle kept all the guards busy and his Oniisan was busy on the other side of Equestria. Even by teleporting it would be hours before he showed up. With a wave of his paws, his two Timberwolves moved to the sides, flanking the scum that took the mare he loved and her sister. Looking up, he knew getting them back wouldn’t be easy. Even for him.

“You can’t win. Just give them up.” Kohaku calmly stood there. His sharp amber eyes looked at the lead stallion. “Your mercenaries are no match for the Royal Guards and you are no match for me.”

The earth pony watched as the two wooden monsters paced back and forth along the eastern and western escape routes. All he had to do is get past this one boy. “I don’t care. The unicorn kingdom is going to fall today. We’re tired of living under their oppressive rule and we won’t accept a monster like you on the throne either. Now step aside or we’ll just kill these two princesses. Or do you want to see the mare you love die?”

Kohaku knew it had been public knowledge for years now that Kohaku was betrothed to Celestia. He shook his head. He cared for Celestia but it was Luna he was concerned about. Taking a few steps to the side he kept his eyes on the trio.

The earth pony made a wicked grin as he watched the fox step aside. The trio slowly made their way from the edge slightly just before the captain of the guard showed up. Uttering a curse he shouted, “Kill them!”

Kohaku saw the battered and bruised captain as he barrelled past the tree line. At the words spoken by the earth pony, Kohaku growled and dashed forward. The world moved in slow motion as the pegasus bucked Luna in the gut and off the edge. He didn’t have time to register the captain dashing forward. A bark of command to his loyal pets he saw two brown blurs run past him.

The pegasus grinned, glad he had just ended one line of the unicorn kingdom with one kick. Looking up he saw that his joy was short-lived. The fox who was a field away was now in front of him. The pegasus saw nothing but the lust for blood in the fox’s eyes. Before he could fly away, his throat had been shredded and his chest laid bare. A shower of red flashed before his eyes as the world quickly ran cold and dark.

Kohaku barely had any time to enjoy his kill. He didn’t even notice that the Captain had reached Celestia. His heart pounded in his ears so loud he didn’t even hear himself call out to Luna. Diving off the cliff, Kohaku tightened his body and made himself as thin as possible to fall faster. Passing his midnight princess he rolled to his back and wrapped his limbs around her. Seconds later he felt the sharp pain of a tree branch slamming against his spine and another against the back of his head.

Luna held her eyes closed the whole flight down the second she felt Kohaku’s limbs about her body. Despite the sound of breaking tree branches. She didn’t feel anything hit her. As they hit the ground together, Luna rolled off several hooves away.

Shakingly standing up, the princess placed both hooves on the magic ring and pulled it off. Looking around she found herself at the bottom of the ravine. Taking a few steps forward she felt her hoof step into something warm and wet. Looking down her body went cold. Laying limp in a pool of his own blood was her beloved fox, Kohaku.


“This cannot be allowed to happen again.” Luna cried as she paced back and forth in the throne room. Her parents, Starswirl and Celestia stood by just watching her. The quartet just learned the truth about Luna’s relationship with Kohaku. While not surprised, they just learned to accept the truth of it. Luna was the one he chose, not Celestia.

“I agree,” Starswirl spoke up to the surprise of the King, Queen, and Celestia. “I often consoled that the royal family needs more protection.”

“Are you calling our guards inadequate again?” The Queen stepped forward narrowing her eyes.

“They are quite adequate in their jobs. But the fact remains that Celestia and Luna were captured IN the palace.”

Holding back his wife the King looked at the old sorcerer. “What are you suggesting?”

“Personal guards. Guards that will be around the princesses at all times.” Starswirl sat straight.

“I don’t need a personal guard!” Celestia huffed.

“I agree with my daughter. I hardly think having a whole regiment of guards around our daughters will make a difference.” The queen looked to the sorcerer with her husband.

Narrowing his eyes Starswirl sighed. “My little brother fighting for his life in the recovery room says otherwise. If the princess had protection to keep from being kidnapped. My brother wouldn’t have had to risk his life to save them.”

“He saved Luna more than myself,” Celestia muttered louder than she wanted. Drawing all attention to her.

“I don’t think I’d feel comfortable having a whole patrol of guards around me.” Luna fidgeted with her wings. Her nerves aching since she had gotten back.

“I don’t think we need a whole patrol. One highly skilled protector should be enough.” Starswirl closed his eyes. “I thought long and hard about this for years. And tonight Kohaku’s actions made me certain of what would work. A single lone Paladin who will devote themselves to the protection of the Princess.”

“Well. He certainly didn’t prevent the kidnapping of the princesses.” the queen scoffed.

“But he did risk his life to get us back.” Luna shot her mother a look that silenced the queen.

“Well, I don’t need one. I’m powerful enough alone. It was only because Luna was taken first that they got their dirty hooves on me.” Celestia stood next to her sister. “But I think Luna would benefit from a lone protector.”

“Well if we DO Starswirls foolish idea. It would take years of training before we have anypony skilled enough to protect Luna. so who could we possibly choose.” The queen sighed.

“Me.” a weak voice came from a curtained door. Everypony turned their heads to see Kohaku standing there on three legs with one of his forelegs resting on the wall. His paw gripping the bricks. Half bloody bandages wrapped around most of his body. “I’ll do it. I’m the only one skilled enough to not have to be trained.”

“Kohaku.” Starswirl rushed to his little brother's side. Holding him up with magic, earning him a grateful smile.

“Out of the question!” the Queen shouted waving her hoof. “The boy seems utterly infatuated with her. Despite being betrothed to Celestia. And it would not do to have a boy protect her day and night?”

Starswirl sighed. “I can understand that. But Kohaku is right, there is no other best suited for the job. And he’s proven he will give his life to keep her safe.”

Luna grumbled slamming her hoof down. “Don’t I get a say in this?” her royal voice echoed through the room.

The king slowly nodded as he rubbed his ear. “Of course you do daughter. What do you want?”

“I want Kohaku to be my guardian.”

“I still do not think that a boy… what would the people say. Think of the rumors.” the queen started but was swiftly silenced as two Timberwolves entered the room. One of them carrying a bloody neckband the earth pony kidnapper had.

“I can fix that.” Kohaku sighed lowering his head.

“Kohaku... You mean?” Starswirl blinked.

“You’d have no objections if it was say a mare protecting your daughter? Would you?” Kohaku smiled as the queen shook her head.

“Well no. but..” Kohaku’s paw raised silenced her.

“Kohaku that kind of magic does drain you. Can you hold it?” Starswirl helped his brother walk closer.

“I haven't exactly been sitting on my flank here ya know niisan.” Kohaku smirked. Taking a deep breath his body shimmered as a flurry of leaves came from the ground and circled him. Starswirl taking a step back. As the leaves left a leaf-green unicorn mare stood where Kohaku had been. A Long mahogany mane curled down her head with an amber horn glinted.

Everypony nearly jumped when they heard the mare speak. Her voice was as soft and rich as honey. “I trust this is more acceptable?”

“How?” Luna reached out and touched Kohaku’s new form. She felt that familiar warmth through her hoof.

“Shapeshifting is a natural ability. I mostly use it to change into plants, this is my first time becoming a pony.” Looking up at the Royal trio several paces away he smiled as Luna hugged him. “Does this not solve your problem?”

The king and queen looked at each other as Celestia smiled nodding.

“Well, I still have my reservations.” The queen folded her wings.

“Kohaku are you sure you want to do this?” Starswirl asked his brother again. Making sure there was no doubt. And smiled when he nodded.

“A few things. First. My betrothal to Celestia is hereby dissolved. It's been uncomfortable for us both since the very beginning. I love Luna. and it’s to her I give my heart.”

“Done, and what else?” The King smiled.

“If possible could I get a very large fish? I’m hungry.” Everypony soon erupted with laughter as the King waved a servant to fulfill the second request.

“So how are we going to do this?” Luna blinked as she held tight to Kohaku’s mare form. More to keep him from falling over than anything else.

“There is an oath of binding that will suffice. It’s usually used in the old days to bind a mortal to a long-lived creature’s lifespan after marriage and lasts until death.”

“Wouldn’t that basically mean Luna would be married to Kohaku?” Celestia quirked an eyebrow.

“Yes, technically,” Starswirl smirked.

“We can deal with that another time. How do we do this?” The queen sighed

“Kohaku.” Starswirl nodded as Kohaku returned the nod. “You know the oath.”

“I should, my father created it.” Lightly pushing away, Kohaku in his mare form knelt down on two legs with the left front hoof placed in Luna’s and the right one over her heart. Instantly a circle of moonlight flames erupted around the pair.

"From this day forward, I give my body, heart, and soul, to the Princess whom I love. No plea for help shall find me wanting. No obstacle will stand before me. No evil will taint the heart bequeathed unto me. When the clarion call is sounded, I fight in the name of my Lady. That which is sacrament, I shall preserve. That which is sublime, I will protect. That which threatens, I will destroy, for my wrath will know no bounds. For this day until your last, I will be your Paladin."

“And what shall I call my Paladin?” Luna stood tall. Filled with more energy than she had ever known in her life.

“In this form, while I serve, I am Amber Orchid.” Amber’s head bowed in fealty.

Luna smiled and held up her hoof, placing it over Amber’s shoulder. With a flash, a broach appeared with Luna’s insignia. Taking a step back she didn’t even realize what she had just done. Only knowing it was appropriate. “...did I do that?”

Nodding Starswirl chuckled. “You did indeed.”

Luna looked at her family who looked on. For the first time in her life, she saw Celestia with a small spark of jealousy. That brought a smile to the princess’s lips. Turning back to Amber, Luna regained her composure. “Rise Paladin Amber. First of your order.”


“Wow…” Pearl muttered as everyone sat in Twilight’s royal quarters in the pegasus palace. “That’s some story. I knew the oath was special. But…” Looking up at Twilight she blushed, “Married?”

Luna giggled as she leaned into Kohaku’s shoulder. Having assumed his true kitsune form. All nine tails wrapped lovingly around his princess. “Well, what else is marriage but a binding of two lives.”

Pearl and Twilight shared a look. Well, when it was put that way… “We’re not married though. Even though I do prefer mares myself,” Twilight said.

“Same,” Pearl added. “Not like it’s a secret though. But good luck finding anypony willing to look past my title and just see me. I’ve tried. Gods, have I tried.”

Luna smirked, for she had seen the looks Pearl had given Twilight’s flanks and Twilight eyeing Pearl’s floof when she wasn’t looking. Subtly was not their strong suit. “Fear not. There is someone for everyone. Both of you just need to remove your heads from the clouds it seems.”

Twilight bit back a snort. Was she being lectured like a filly right out of Magic Kindergarten on her love life? Or lack thereof?

Pearl thought the same and didn’t bother to hide her snort and eye roll. But the story had given her new hope, for a fillyhood dream she long thought buried and forgotten.

Many of her fillyhood friends had dreamed of joining the Royal Guard and becoming Princess Twilight’s Paladin. Every filly and colt from the Crystal Empire to Maretime Bay grew up on stories of Luna’s.

Pearl had been no different, she was always wide-eyed and attentive hearing about all the first Paladin had accomplished. Memorizing every adventure, every battle, and sadly every defeat. And while most of her friends had eventually outgrown the daydream of being the next Paladin, she never had, but not only for the reasons others had dreamed of it.

Perhaps there was hope yet. For a fillyhood dream Pearl had long ago thought impossible and just a silly fantasy.

Author's Note:

No. There are no plans for a Twilight and Pearl romance. In a sequel maybe. Right now though? There are no plans for a sequel. Might change though.