• Published 4th Nov 2022
  • 218 Views, 10 Comments

Love, Me - BrushyBill1881



Brushy Bill's submission for the M/M shipping contest! Inspired by multiple songs: "Up On A Hill" Dan Seals 1983, "Blue Clear Sky" George Strait 1996, "Stranger in my House" Ronnie Milsap 1983, "Cold Hard Truth" George Jones 1999, and more!

  • ...
6
 10
 218

Wait On The Corner

Several weeks had passed since the Flim Flam brothers had moved to the old farm, now slowly becoming new. Every night for the last two weeks Big Mac and Flim had been meeting at Big Mac's sittin' spot. They never really had a reason other than to just sit and talk. Flim was telling his new friend about what him and Flam were doing to renovate and get the farm ready for planting.

"And after we finished the porch we can finally start planting." Flim said with such excitement it made Big Mac smile. However after thinking, his smile dropped.

"Uh Flim, the planting season is almost over. If you wait till the porch is done I don't think you'll have time to plant." Flim's face also fell.


"Oh yeah, I guess you're right. We don't have a plow yet to make the rows, and we haven't even decided what we're growing yet. I mean apple trees take four years alone to start producing so we need something until then." He looked up at Big Mac with a weak smile. "Guess we didn't plan to well." Big Mac nodded and looked out to the brothers' farm.

"Maybe I could help you?" he asked.

"Oh no Big Mac! You have already exceeded my expectations with the pie and talking to me up here. I couldn't ask you to help start a whole new farm when you have you own to take care of." Flim pointed to the Apple's farm. Again Big Mac nodded and looked towards the farm. He thought of ways he could help and do it without his family noticing. His family did not know about the nightly talks and Flam didn't know either. The sun started to go behind the hill and it began to grow dim. "I guess that's our time," Flim stood up, "See you tomorrow Big Mac." He turned to leave.

"Wait Flim...Come into town with me tomorrow." Flim turned to Big Mac, stunned for a second, then laughed.

"My friend, ha, are you asking me to join you for a day in town." Flim teased, alluding that it was somehow romantic. Big Mac blushed and shook his head violently.

"What I mean is I have an idea of how you can start your farm even if you can't start a field yet."

"Oh?" Big Mac turned to nodding.

"Meet me at the lumber yard at 10. Wait on the corner and then follow me in."

"Wait on the corner? What am I your secret lover?" Flim teased again. Big Mac laughed and little.

"No no, just don't want word to get back to my family that we were seen together." Flim nodded.

"Ok, I'll see you tomorrow at 10." Flim walked away. Big Mac watched until he was out of sight and then turned to go home. The bottom floor of the Apple family home was empty.

"Guess they all went to their rooms." He made his way to the book shelf in the corner of the living room and found an old green book. "That'll do."

The next morning Flim was waiting on the corner across the road from the lumber yard. He kept scanning the crowd back and forth, looking for Big Mac. While doing so he noticed that no pony was paying attention to him.

"Good, looks like no pony remembers me." he assured himself. He then noticed the large red stallion walking down the road with a wagon in tow. Flim watched him as he came to the lumber yard and looked back at him. Big Mac nodded and went inside. Flim crossed the road and also entered.

Big Mac was inspecting a stack of old rail road ties when Flim walked up next to him. Quietly he whispered to Big Mac, "So we're building a railroad?" Big Mac shook his head and from his saddle bag handed Flim a list. He took it and followed the red stallion as they wandered around the yard. Big Mac stopped again by some small wooden steaks and began loading them into the wagon. Flim looked down at the list. It read '30 wooden stakes, 60 railroad ties, ferterlizer, drip hose. seeds.' Flim was about to ask Big Mac what this was all for, but when he looked up Big Mac was heading towards the yard owner. He caught up to him as the owner was walking away. "What's all this for?"

"Didn't you read the list?" he responded in a hushed tone. Flim nodded. "The back too?" Flim looked back at the note and flipped it over. On the back was a diagram of 5 raised garden beds.

"So we're gardening?" Flim asked even more confused. Big Mac nodded.

"They'll deliver the rail road ties this afternoon. Next is the drip hose and nails we'll need to put the beds together. Meet me at the hardware store next." Big Mac left the yard and down a side towards the next stop. Flim watched him as he went away.

"Now why did he go that way? The main road is faster," he looked down the road and saw all the ponies milling about and realized, "Ah he's letting me take the main road so we're not seen together." While walking to the hardware store something began to nag at him. He couldn't tell why but he felt disappointed, and lonely. Sure him and his only friend had to sneak around town just to run errands but that shouldn't bother him that much...right? Little did Flim know that down some side roads, Big Mac was feeling the same way. He was happy he could help his new friend, but he felt ashamed of how he was treating him. Sending him off on his own to meet him again somewhere else just didn't feel right. The wrath of his sister sat in the back of his mind, but would it continue to influence him?

Despite their efforts to arrive separately, the two stallions wound up at the entrance at the same time. Flim stood awkwardly as Big Mac unhitched himself from the wagon. He couldn't help but stare at the stallion as his feeling of disappointment and loneliness went away. Replacing them was a feeling of happiness, intrigue, and something he couldn't describe. Big Mac stepped out of his halter and caught Flim staring at him. He turned to looked him and cocked his head in confusion. Flim snapped out of it and quickly entered the store. Big Mac shrugged his shoulders and slowly made his way to the door as to not directly follow Flim.

When he got in Flim was standing in the middle and looking around trying to figure which way to go. Big Mac walked up next to him and looked around and then went right. Flim scrabbled quickly to follow. They went to the very end and went up the first aisle. Big Mac stopped as soon they were both in.

"The drip hoses are all they way down that way. Grab at least 60 feet of it. I am going to get the nails. Meet by the wagon when you're done." Before Flim could say anything Big Mac left the aisle. Flim continued down the aisle keeping his focus on the hoses. He wasn't paying attention and ran into and knocked down a pony crossing aisles.

"Oh I'm terribly sorry friend. I wasn't paying attention." He offered his hoof to help them up and didn't realize until she was up, that he had ran into Applejack.

"No problem par-" she stopped when she saw it was him. "Oh it's you. Now it makes sense." She rolled her eyes.

"Honest mistake Applejack." he smiled and quickly walked away towards the hoses.

"Now hang on a minute." Flim stopped and turned back towards her. "What'er you even doing here?" She asked looking around.

"Oh well um, getting drip hoses." He pointed to the hoses.

"What for?"

"Well gosh Applejack, I do own a farm now. I need some drip hose." Flim chuckled nervously.

"Uh huh, what for?" Applejack raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"For uh," Flim dug out the list from his saddle bag. "For uh my flower beds." He showed her the diagram on the back. She looked at it and back at Flim who was smiling nervously.

"You're really sticking with this new ploy aren't you?" Just as Flim was defending himself Big Mac was walking down a side aisle and spotted Flim. He was about to ask what was taking so long but then he noticed his sister. Panic set in and he stopped immediately in his tracks. Flim noticed Big Mac and told him with his eyes to get out. Applejack noticed his eyes and turned around fast. Big Mac had ducked away just in time. "Your brother here too?"

"No!" Flim said a little to loudly "Uh no, no, he takes care of the house work and I am in charge of starting to grow things." Applejack looked back and forth and rolled her eyes.

"Just stay on your farm." She walked away. Flim sighed in relief. After recovering he got the hose and left the store. Out side the wagon was gone and Big Mac was no where to be seen. Flim sighed in disappointment.

"It's understandable, I would've panicked too." From the alley way came a-

"Psst." Flim looked over and saw Big Mac peaking out. "Is she gone?" Flim looked around.

"Yeah she left a little bit ago." Big Mac walked out.

"Alright we have one more stop. Daisy's plant stand." Big Mac started down a side road. Flim thought for a second looking up the main road, then ran after Big Mac.

"I think it will be safer if we good together. If we go down side roads hardly anyone will notice." Flim smiled hoping Big Mac would agree. The red stallion smiled.

"I guess it will be fine." Together they walked down the side roads and to the flower stand, but stopped dead upon seeing Applebloom there. They ducked behind one of the bouquet displays and watched carefully. Applebloom just wandered around and looked at all the flowers.

"Oh yeah great idea Flim!" Big Mac whisper yelled. " 'Lets walk together no one will notice' " he imitated Flim's speedy delivery.

"Well excuse me Mr. Perfect, it's not like I know what your family does every day. Just tell me what we need and I'll go get it."

"It's on the list!" Big Mac said in frustration.

"You just put seeds! What am I supposed to do with that?" Big Mac opened his mouth to rebuttal but realized Flim was right.

"Right. Um vegetables, enough to fill 4 of the flower beds and then get an assorted flower seeds for the 5th and a bag of fertilizer." Flim nodded and slowly went over to the seed stall. He grabbed cucumber, pumpkin, green beans, carrot, potato seeds along with an assorted flower pack and a bag of fertilizer. Quickly he made his purchase and left thinking he had passed by the young apple with out being noticed. Flim put the rest of the supplies in the wagon and jumped in himself

"Lets go." He ducked down and Big Mac slowly went down the closet side road. After a little, Flim jumped out of the wagon and walked alongside Big Mac. "We heading back to the farm?"

"Yup"

"Ok, I'll see you there." Flim split off to go down a side road.

"Flim wait." he turned around to look at Big Mac.

"We can...we can walk home together." Flim stared at him shocked.

"You sure? After all the problems we ran into today?" Flim asked.

"Yeah, it will be nice. Besides, I don't think we'll be having a sitting talk tonight. We'll be working late." Big Mac began down the road. Flim smiled and followed alongside. Both had immense happiness while walking down the road. Flim was starting to figure out why, yet Big Mac remained blissfully ignorant to the realization within him.

Author's Note:

Hello y'all,
Sorry this one has taken a minute to get through. Submission is due this Saturday so I'll be pumping out these chapters. As always thanks to all who read. If you have a ship you like and want me to turn into one of my stories, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.
-Brushy Bill