• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 2,298 Views, 219 Comments

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Cine-magic: Planes - IndyWriter Productions



The Main 6 and Spike embark on a brand new journey to a different world to solve more than a friendship problem

  • ...
6
 219
 2,298

Part 5: Stiff Competition

(New York City, New York)

"Check it out!" Rainbow called out, her tone full of excitement.

It was late into the evening when the plane and Pegasus entered New York airspace. Dusty and Rainbow Dash were flying across the Hudson Bay as they neared their intended destination. Both were taking in the sights and sounds of the giant city; admiring the large skyscrapers, glowing amidst the dark, night sky and rows of parked boats along the harbor. Suddenly, there was voice coming from Dusty's radio. Rainbow could hear it from her headphones.

"Break, break. Air racer number 7, air racer number 7. Do you read? Kennedy approach, over." The voice said.

"Uhh, this is Dusty Crophopper and Rainbow Dash, we're looking for JFK airport." Dusty replied.

"Who is this?" Rainbow asked in total confusion.

"This is JFK Air Traffic Control. Crophopper 7 and Dash 20, you are supposed to be on the Carnice visual. Turn further left, heading 1-9-5. Maintain 1,000 feet. Intercept the 22 right localizer. You are both clear for the ILS 22, right approach." The controller directed.

"Roger." Dusty affirmed.

"What the heck did he even say?" Rainbow asked, not only confused, but also frustrated.

"Heavy is sectored in behind you." The controller added.

Rainbow gave Dusty a lost look, the kind of look that visually said "Are you serious?" Dusty, however, was just as confused.

"Uhhhh, run that by us one more time." Dusty said.

"Turn further left, heading 1-9-5. Maintain 1,000..."

"Never mind. I got it. C'mon Rainbow." He said as he descended down toward the runway.

"Hey! Wait for me." Rainbow said, quickly following after the crop duster.

Meanwhile, Air Traffic Control was trying to get visuals on the plane and pegasus.

"Do you see them?" The first controller asked.

"Well, radar does, but I don't see diddly." The second one replied.

Dusty and Rainbow came to soft landing on the runway.

"Check out this pavement! Nice! It's so smooth." Dusty said, doing a quick spin on the tarmac.

"Yeah. It is pretty nice." Rainbow said.

There were runways where she trained to be a wonderbolt, but those lanes were incredibly smooth, considering that they were designed for ponies and not large aircraft.

"Crophopper 7 and Dash 20, you passed foxtrot. Turn left onto Charlie. Hold short of 22." The controller quickly instructed.

Rainbow and Dusty were completely unaware of the giant passenger jet barring down on them for landing.

"Wait, I thought foxes-" Dusty began.

"For Celestia sake! What are you trying to say?" Rainbow yelled angrily.

"GET OFF THE RUNWAY!" The controller yelled desperately.

At the last possible second, Dusty and Rainbow turned to see the blinding lights of the jumbo jet about to land right on top of them.

"Woah!" Dusty cried.

Both plane and pegasus tore out of there just before the massive wheels of the jet slammed onto the tarmac.

"Sweet Celestia, that was way to close." Rainbow announced.

Their problems weren't over yet. Now they had found where the other racers were meeting at. That was easier said than done in a busy airport. Rainbow dodged a fuel truck while Dusty avoided a pushback tractor.

"Oh, sorry." Dusty said.

"Go back to Jersey, you bum." The tractor said angrily.

Hey, we're just trying to find the other racers." Rainbow snapped.

"Please, let's not start any fights, Rainbow." Dusty pleaded.

He narrowly ran into a baggage trolley.

"Hey-oh, do you mind? I'm working here." He said angrily.

"Sorry." Dusty said.

Rainbow found some flight attendants having a chat.

"A nice enough guy, but way too much baggage, if you know what I mean." One of them said, while the other giggled.

Rainbow chose not to mess with them, instead following Dusty to another pushback tractor towing a passenger jet.

"Hey, there. We're looking for pit row." Dusty said.

"The pits? Yeah, that's easy. You want to go down this way toward the fire station. Then taxiway alpha forks off to the left. But, don't go that way. You want to veer right. And if you get to the orange barrels, you went to far. so..." The tractor overly explained.

"Just go straight ahead and to the right." The jet interrupted.

"Thanks." Rainbow said before zipping away.

"Great, thanks. Hey, nice paint job." Dusty commented before leaving.

"Well, thank you! I'm kind of proud of it." The tractor said smugly.

"I think he was talking to me." The jet said.

"Oh." The tractor said realizing his air-headed mistake.

Rainbow and Dusty found the pits in no time.

"Finally." Rainbow sighed.

"Well, looky who's here. The Scandinavian and his furry friend." The race pitty said in a fake adventurous tone.

"Hey." Dusty greeted.

"Miss your hometown?" The pitty asked.

"I kinda miss my friends." Rainbow admitted.

"Uhhhhh..." Was all Dusty had to say.

"I don't. Just about blocked that memory out of my mind.” The pitty laughed. “But you're bringing it right back with that...sniff sniff. Oh, man, that nasty Vita-mina-stink-a-bunch.”

"Can definitely agree with you on that." Rainbow mumbled to herself.

"Your tent's the last one on the left. Go!" The pitty coughed.

"Okay." Dusty replied.

He headed for the tent with Rainbow following close behind.

"Power wash is on the right. Just saying." The pitty called out.

His call fell on deaf ears. Dusty and Rainbow both made their way through the competitor’s tents. Rainbow soon realize that a lot of the other machines were staring at her.

“What is that thing?” A forklift asked.

“It looks like a plush toy.” A biplane commented.

“Is it here for the race?” One of the racers questioned.

“Heh. I seriously doubt. Might be a sponsor mascot or something.” Another scoffed.

The bright blue Pegasus was starting to get fed up with all the talking behind her back. Dusty didn’t take notice because he was too busy admiring...

"Wow! Bulldog? From the European Cup? The Big Dog!" Dusty said excitedly.

"Uhh, is he famous?" Rainbow asked. Her anger soon dissipating. She walked over to the de Havilland DH.88 Comet airplane.

Very! Hey, I saw you do this unbelievable high-G vertical turn. How did you do that?" Dusty asked.

Well, let me tell you. In fact, why don't I tell you all my racing secrets." The British plane said.

"Really?" Rainbow asked surprised.

"No. Look, I don't know how things work in the backwater from which you two hail, Matey, but this is a competition. Every plane for himself! Goodbye." Bulldog said dismissively.

"Yeah, sure." Dusty said with a look of disdain.

Rainbow growled, her anger coming back in full force, but she was led away by Dusty. That was, until he almost bumped into another racing, causing him to backup into a pile of fuel can. Dusty chuckled, trying to play it off smoothly.

"Heh, heh, wait a second. This is AeroShell 100. I thought I ordered DT-2380." He said awkwardly.

"Dude." Rainbow said in a dead-serious tone.

The female AeroCanard FG kit aircraft giggled a bit at Dusty's antics

"Well, I am sorry you had to see that." Dusty said to the majestic plane.

"Are you all right?" She asked softly.

"Sure, why wouldn't I be? And you are Pan-Asian champion and Mumbai Cup record holder, Ishani." Dusty observed.

"Way to be subtle, buddy." Rainbow whispered to the flirting crop duster.

"Most people call me just 'Ishani.'" Ishani chuckled.

"I'm Dusty. I mean, my name is Dusty. I'm not actually dusty, I'm quite clean." Dusty replied.

"And, I'm Rainbow Dash, fastest flyer of all Equestria." Rainbow said boastfully.

"It's very nice to meet you "quite clean" Dusty and Rainbow Dash, "fastest flyer of all Equestria." Ishani said warmly.

She left with a warm smile and her face. Her crewmates giggling a bit at the exchange.

"Nice to meet you too." Dusty said.

He couldn't take his eyes off her.

"Look at that propeller." He said with an admirable look in his eyes.

"Hey, Dustmeister. Focus!" Rainbow called waving her hoof in front of Dusty's eyes.

Dusty shook out of his trance. They both turned to see Ripslinger on-stage getting a polishing massage.

"A little over there. Not so much pressure, okay?" Ripslinger said.

"Excuse us, guys. Pardon me." Dusty said trying to get closer.

"Dusty, don't talk to him, he's a jerk." Rainbow warned.

"C'mon, Rainbow, maybe he'll actually talk to us." Dusty pushed on.

"Hey, look who made it! It's the crop duster and his pet." Ripslinger said.

"Hey." Dusty said.

Hey! I am not a pet! I am his friend!" Rainbow shouted furiously.

"Oh, sorry for the mislabel. You know, having you here is a nice vehicle-interest story. Small town farmer and his "friend" make it to the big time." Ripslinger stated.

"Yes, sir" Dusty said excitedly.

Rainbow said nothing, only glaring at Ripslinger.

"But, tragically crashes on takeoff." Ripslinger finished.

"What?" Dusty asked.

"I knew it." Rainbow grumbled.

"Wings Around The Globe winner, Ripslinger, eulogizes the unknown hayseed and scatters their debris over a cornfield. Ratings will be through the roof." Ripslinger said.

"........Okay." Dusty said before leaving.

"Good luck. Farm boy and gal." Ripslinger murmured.

"What?" Dusty turned around.

"Why I oughta-" Dusty was about to go off on the green airplane when a new challenger approached.

"Hola, sénior y sénioritas The hero of the people has arrived." A Gee Bee Model R plane announced.

Silence washed over the pits as everyone just stared at the new arrival.

"You have never heard of the great El Chupacabra?" The plane asked.

Again, more silence, apart from the distant giggling from Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, isn't that that monster that siphons fuel from small vehicles?" One racer spoke up.

"No, no, no, it's just a stage name designed to strike fear into the hearts of my opponents." El Chupacabra said.

"Yeah, he's the indoor racing champion of all Mexico." Dusty confirmed.

"Indoor racing?" Bulldog and Rainbow asked simultaneously.

El Chupacabra let out a grito whilst spinning in place rapidly.

"And numero uno recording artist, telenovela star, and romance novelist." He said proudly.

"Did you say El Chupacabra or El Cuckoo-cabra." Bulldog joked to his colleagues who began laughing.

"You make joke? You make joke?!" El Chupacabra yelled getting face-to-face with Bulldog.

"Very well. You leave me no choice! I...swish my cape at you." El Chupacabra said.

Rainbow and Dusty just looked at each other with confused looks.

"You have been shamed." El Chupacabra sneered before leaving.

"I hope I can get over it. Oh, I just did." Bulldog said, his colleagues laughing again.

Hey, I saw you race on Telemoto last year. Of course, it was in Spanish, so I didn't understand everything." Dusty said to El Chupacabra.

"I am flattered, avión pequeño. You have done many of these long-distance rallies yes?" The Mexican plane asked.

"No, this is our first one." Dusty answered dodging a forklift with a stack of tires.

"Sure is.” Rainbow confirmed confidently.

"It is my first time, as well! We will have many adventures, all three of us. We will laugh, we will cry, we will dance!" El Chupacabra said enthusiastically.

"Um, wow." Dusty muttered.

"Probably not with each other." El Chupacabra said awkwardly.

"Of course." Dusty said.

Both turned to Rainbow Dash.

"Woah, hold on you two. Dancing is not my thing and, no offense, I'm certainly not interested with dancing with either of you. I mean, dancing? Me? No way" Rainbow said sheepishly, lightly blushing as she did so.

"Oh, well, I will see you two in the skies, amigos." El Chupacabra said.

he gritoed once again and spun away.

Dusty and Rainbow just chuckled.

"I like this guy." Rainbow said.

"Same here." Dusty agreed.

The both plane and pegasus made their way to their tent. While the two got situated, Rainbow began thinking to herself.

If only my friends were here in-pony. At least they would support me instead of ridiculing me.

Rainbow shook away those negative thoughts. She and Dusty had a big day tomorrow and she wanted to go in it with the best mindset.


(To be continued)